Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking for One.  (Read 21992 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2004, 06:03:51 pm »

They use Emu oil in a lot of alternative health care products - is the meat actually somewhat oily? And is there a smell/taste that is distinctive or 'gamey'?
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Cooking for One.
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2004, 06:58:37 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Take two slices of bread, just smother both of them in peanut butter. Chop up half a banana into as thin slices as you can get; put in the peanut butter. Pour honey on top of the bananas. Close sandwich and toast. Apparently the King liked it with bacon, but I haven't tried it yet.


It is exquisite with bacon, but it has to be super-crisp. You get that floppy, greasy bacon in there, and there'll be tears before bedtime.

This is a sandwich you eat once in your life, savoring every bite, and then, unless you have some sort of undignified death wish, never eat again.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2004, 07:06:49 pm »

I knew a radio DJ who swore by peanut butter and mayonnaise on an onion bagel.  Said it was the greatest hangover cure in the world, when paired with a glass of fresh OJ.  Who knows?  Sounds pretty nasty to me, but then again, I eat peanut butter with margarine instead of jelly, so maybe mayo isn't that far a leap.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2004, 07:23:20 pm »

Since this thread has become our deepest, shameful confessions about peanut butter, I'll admit that peanut butter and sharp cheddar cheese spread is pretty good too.

(Margarine? JL! Might as well just drink motor oil.)
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2004, 07:25:32 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I knew a radio DJ who swore by peanut butter and mayonnaise on an onion bagel.  Said it was the greatest hangover cure in the world, when paired with a glass of fresh OJ.  Who knows?  Sounds pretty nasty to me, but then again, I eat peanut butter with margarine instead of jelly, so maybe mayo isn't that far a leap.


I'm not alone!  Peanut-butter on margarine on bread is the only eating habit I ever picked up from my father, and it seems to repulse just about everyone else in the world.  Nice to know that the old man and I aren't crazy after all...

Oh, and I had a friend in junior high who swore by banana and Karo syrup sandwiches.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2004, 07:31:56 pm »

I like Butter and Peanut Butter. But margarine Ain't food.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Cooking for One.
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2004, 07:32:20 pm »

Allow me to ask the world now, since we seem to have gravitated towards "odd combinations of things to put on bread and/or bagels": does anyone here enjoy or understand the "fluffernutter?" (Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on a sandwich.) I've attempted this several times, given that my dining hall offers marshmallow fluff, and it always ends up being relatively bland in flavor and unbelievably tacky (in both senses) texture-wise. Is there a secret to making a palatable fluffernutter? Or is the secret not to eat them?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2004, 07:37:27 pm »

Peanut butter with margarine?  That's kind of redundant isn't it?

Ok, bananna and mayo sounds pretty disgusting, but adding the onion roll sounds intruiging.  Only thing I would do different is add a thick wedge of sharp chedder a slice of tomato.  That and eliminate the bananna.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2004, 07:54:22 pm »

Paul's right. Lose the banana and you got something there. Canadian bacon would be good too.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2004, 08:30:42 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

This is a sandwich you eat once in your life, savoring every bite, and then, unless you have some sort of undignified death wish, never eat again.


Look what it did to the KING.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Cooking for One.
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2004, 10:25:30 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Inquiry about fluffernutters


I bought marshmallow fluff one time, cause I thought the packaging design was just breathtakingly rad, and thus had a brief fluffernutter phase.  They are good, insofar as all novelty sandwiches are (cf Nutella), as stoner-food, but not recommended for everyday use.

As for weird "peanut butter + x = surprisingly delicious sandwich!" where x is some ingrediant previously thought not used in that context, x for me is hummus.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2004, 11:03:40 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
As for weird "peanut butter + x = surprisingly delicious sandwich!" where x is some ingrediant previously thought not used in that context, x for me is hummus.


That's not so crazy. I've seen hummus recipies that replace the tahini with PB anyway.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2004, 11:12:28 pm »

Oh man, some of this is so gross I want to lock the thread...

Not PB and bacon though - I totally agree about that.  Once in a lifetime.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2004, 11:25:35 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
This is an interesting site.
It is very weird that among 'substitutes' for chicken they include ostrich. Although the rest of the options were more-or-less white meats, anyone who has seen ostrich would agree that it's similarity to BEEF is actually pretty striking and the ostrich would make a pretty poor chicken 'substitute'...


Agreed. I've had ostrich burgers which other than being super-lean were totally indistinguishable from regular ground beef. Ditto in mixed szechuan I had (duck, chicken, ostrich).
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2004, 04:33:50 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
This is a sandwich you eat once in your life, savoring every bite, and then, unless you have some sort of undignified death wish, never eat again.

I have peanut butter, bananas, honey and bread. I have bacon. I could make that sandwich, man. I COULD! But I'm so, so afraid.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up