Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking for One.  (Read 22026 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Cooking for One.
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2004, 05:59:53 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
They use Emu oil in a lot of alternative health care products - is the meat actually somewhat oily? And is there a smell/taste that is distinctive or 'gamey'?


Interestingly, I had an ostrich burger at the farmer's market in Edinburgh a couple of months back, and was rather impressed. It was very different to beef, but very tender still. I had to stop making fun of ostrich farmers.

Not of ostriches though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2004, 06:14:06 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

I have peanut butter, bananas, honey and bread. I have bacon. I could make that sandwich, man. I COULD! But I'm so, so afraid.


I confess to never having had the full combination.  But you could work up to it with all the sub-combinations that are good:  PB and bananas, PB and honey, then the big step up to PB and bacon, and then....
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2004, 07:20:09 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
They use Emu oil in a lot of alternative health care products - is the meat actually somewhat oily? And is there a smell/taste that is distinctive or 'gamey'?


Interestingly, I had an ostrich burger at the farmer's market in Edinburgh a couple of months back, and was rather impressed. It was very different to beef, but very tender still. I had to stop making fun of ostrich farmers.

Not of ostriches though.


My favorite ostrich image is this picture I saw of a miget dressed like a jockey riding a saddled ostrich. That and 'Leonard Part 6' (Did anyone else see this dreadful Bill Cosby "vehicle"?).
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Cooking for One.
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2004, 07:31:03 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
(Did anyone else see this dreadful Bill Cosby "vehicle"?).


Thank you. Just 'cause I have to, yet again, say "...with the hippin' and the hoppin' and the bippin' and the boppin."
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Cooking for One.
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2004, 07:56:06 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

My favorite ostrich image is this picture I saw of a miget dressed like a jockey riding a saddled ostrich. That and 'Leonard Part 6' (Did anyone else see this dreadful Bill Cosby "vehicle"?).

My boyfriend is exorbitantly proud of having seen this in the theater. I am not entirely sure why, except that it's probably in the same way you're proud of a war wound.

I had a friend in middle school who ate a whole lot of PB-and-honey sandwiches, much to our occasionally-ribald derision; the combination still makes me think "oh, Jesus, it's Austin's sex sandwich!" I've never actually tried the "sex sandwich," though, and most likely should before I die.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2004, 09:02:35 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a friend in middle school who ate a whole lot of PB-and-honey sandwiches, much to our occasionally-ribald derision; the combination still makes me think "oh, Jesus, it's Austin's sex sandwich!" I've never actually tried the "sex sandwich," though, and most likely should before I die.


This just reminds me of the popular wrestler snack: oranges dipped in honey. Often with a liquid ginseng chaser.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2004, 02:40:53 am »

The peanut-butter-banana-honey sandwich was all I ate for a week on an "organic foods and internal alchemy" commune in Scotland. They hadn't quite got the hang of making the organic foods not taste nasty but apparently the majority of them didn't mind because they were busy performing internal alchemical rites which I did not investigate too deeply. The sandwich is pretty good and has desperation sustainability in that you won't find yourself immediately thinking "Oh, god, I'm going to be eating this for a week", but I have no real desire to ever eat it again.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2004, 04:21:52 am »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
The peanut-butter-banana-honey sandwich was all I ate for a week on an "organic foods and internal alchemy" commune in Scotland. They hadn't quite got the hang of making the organic foods not taste nasty but apparently the majority of them didn't mind because they were busy performing internal alchemical rites which I did not investigate too deeply. The sandwich is pretty good and has desperation sustainability in that you won't find yourself immediately thinking "Oh, god, I'm going to be eating this for a week", but I have no real desire to ever eat it again.


What? You said you went to laxative camp and they fed you sandwiches? How deep is too deep to investigate high colonics? What is internal alchemy?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2004, 05:34:12 am »

Ahem. Back to cooking for one.

Ensalada Tamale
---
1 box Goya frozen tamales
1 can kernel-cut corn (NOT cream-style)
1 Bag O' Salad
salsa
sour cream
grated cheese of choice
(enumerated ingredients serve 2, or make two meals)

This is the simplest (and tastiest) meal I've yet to create. Halve the serving amount to double the yield and turn this into an appetizer for 4.

Cooking:
Prepare the tamales (yes, Goya, unless you've got homemade) as instructed: boil a small pot of water, then add. Turn every few minutes. Warm the corn in a separate small pot, with a pinch of salt and pepper. If you like hot sauce in your corn, that's fine, but warn me before I taste it.

Assembly:
In a bowl, place 1/4 the Bag O' Salad. Once the corn is ready, sprinkle a large spoonful over the lettuce, then the grated cheese over the corn. Extract the tamales from their cases, and place over the cheese. Put a dollop of salsa and sour cream on the top. Serve immediately.

The sour cream/salsa combo really acts as the dressing for the lettuce here, where the loose corn adds some interesting texture and sweetness. The tamale itself is moist and tender, and serves nearly the same purpose as a the crouton in a Caesar salad.

Please let me know immediately if you do or do not enjoy this dish.

Kisses, Choop.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2004, 05:15:42 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

What? You said you went to laxative camp and they fed you sandwiches? How deep is too deep to investigate high colonics? What is internal alchemy?


They didn't exactly feed me sandwiches. They offered me We Put Our Macrobiotic Stuff In A Pot And Cooked It Until It Cried, along with various fairly decent raw vegetables. Given the choice I decided to live on self-made sandwiches (from macrobiotic peanut butter, bread, bananas, and honey) because I didn't have access to the kitchen resource and this was about as good as I could manage.
I do not know how deep is too deep to investigate high colonics. Is this a philosophical question?
I didn't pry too deeply into what exactly internal alchemy meant, either, but I have a very strong suspicion that it involves using aforementioned macrobiotic goop along with Certain Substances to convince yourself that you have entered a higher state of matter.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2004, 06:59:09 pm »

I think getting high and then having nothing to eat but macrobiotic organic stuff would make me cry and cry and cry.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Cooking for One.
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2004, 07:24:46 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"

I do not know how deep is too deep to investigate high colonics. Is this a philosophical question?

I suspect this sentence may have some value as a koan.

"Master, how deep is too deep to investigate high colonics?"
"... I don't know. Now go away before I hit you with a stick in the name of enlightenment."
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2004, 08:03:25 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I confess to never having had the full combination.  But you could work up to it with all the sub-combinations that are good:  PB and bananas, PB and honey, then the big step up to PB and bacon, and then....


Oh, man, I did it. Bought really cheap Oscar Meyer microwave bacon, fried it in a skillet, stuck it on there. My thoughts?
I couldn't really taste it that much. There was an underlying "hickory-ness", but besides that...I'll probably keep doing it sans bacon, just so I don't have a major heart attack.
And thus, the peanut butter, banana, honey and bacon sandwich saga ends. Not with a bang, but with an "eh."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Cooking for One.
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2004, 04:24:46 am »

I did it.  This is great food for one, or more, but perfect for one.  It's scrambled eggs with potatoes.


Eggs, Potatoes, Onions, Tomatoes, cheese, and a little greek seasoning.*


Looks good don't it.


Served with lettuce and toast and a cup of tea.


reading post here while I ate JL was talking about not liking the spicy which reminded me I totally forgot the hot sauce.


*16 points total (4 egg beaters, 2 oz cheese, 4 oz potatoe, 1 tsp. oil)

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Cooking for One.
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2004, 05:11:56 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I couldn't really taste it that much. There was an underlying "hickory-ness", but besides that...I'll probably keep doing it sans bacon, just so I don't have a major heart attack.


You either didn't use enough bacon, or you used too much of the other. This sandwich, properly prepared, will crunch, audibly, with every bite. I've never had it with honey, so I can't say how it would affect the overall flavor and consistency (although [a] maple syrup - obliquely related condiment - and bacon go together marvelously and honey on a sandwich tends to give the bread a weird, sticky-swampy texture).

I got the best results from mashing the peanut butter (smooth) and the banana together in a bowl, into a spreadable paste. You will, surprisingly, get a lot to work with from a single banana; four or five sandwiches' worth. PB&B isn't so bad for you, actually, so long as you don't go so far as to fry them. Did I forget to mention that the sandwich should have been fried?

Also, Paul, those photos are the swift-kick-in-the-ass I needed to Go Out and Buy a casserole dish; yes, finally. It basically looks like doubleplus awesome hash browns, and I am known for loving some goddamned hash browns.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up