Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Freezepop & Philippe  (Read 7714 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

G3K

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • http://g3k.livejournal.com
Freezepop & Philippe
« on: January 24, 2004, 09:45:47 pm »

Freezepop.  It's got nothing to do with popsicles or Otterpops, although Philippe does indeed resemble one.

It's actually an inane Boston techno-pop band (with a Flash-infested site; watch out) who for some bizarre reason decided to record a song entitled "Here Comes A Special Boy" in tribute to our very own Philippe.  I'm not sure what I think of it but it's amusing in some way.  I forgot where this post was going shoot me.
Logged
Also I am Korean and this offends me a lot

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 09:51:52 pm »

That was indescribably delightful.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 10:26:29 pm »

Oh yes. That's exactly what a song about Philippe should sound like.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 03:25:02 am »

Props to the pops. Sounds good, definitely Phillipe-ish. The rhymes are a little sketchy at times, but I mean the mere fact that they put time into a Phillipe song makes it enjoyable.
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

V-Adore

  • Guest
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 06:31:55 am »

Quote from: "bluebird_of_unhappiness"
Props to the pops. Sounds good, definitely Phillipe-ish. The rhymes are a little sketchy at times, but I mean the mere fact that they put time into a Phillipe song makes it enjoyable.

Well, the sketchy rhymes are only appropriate. This is, in fact, just what Wombat said: exactly what a Philippe song should sound like.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 03:50:33 pm »

As much as I could go either way on the song, the link-image totally sells it for me.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 02:16:31 am »

I cannot stand Freezepop. I had a friend of mine let me borrow one of their albums - all right, more correctly, I downloaded it. Here's what I thought of it:

It is the most soulless, inauthentic, by-the-numbers attempt at alt.culture bandwagoneering I've seen sashay down the fuck*ng runway in a long goddamn time. It may seem a bit weird to damn a band in this "genre" (i.e. electric pop by and for temporarily fickle trust fund kids) for being soulless, but my stars. If only I'd seen the pattern sooner, I could have been Freezepop:

- Find a chick to be the "face" of your synthpop band. She will talk, sounding bored-as-you-please (but with a touch, of course, of just-beneath-the-surface grrrrrrrlish enthusiasm - OMG MAYBE SHE LURKS OUR FANSITE MESSAGE BOARD), and sing tunelessly over...

- Music that is more or less the worst of Overclocked Remix, circa 1999: carnival music for the attention deficit generation made with an unofficial plugin for fuck*ng Nesticle.

- And don't forget to tap, tap, tap that word-of-mouth market! You'll do this by dropping in a careful balance of common pop music themes and geek / alt / meta-indie references. Did that chick just say grep?? In a LURRVE METAPHOR???? She may have, and won't you look smart for being the first one to have noticed / appreciated / shelled out for it. Can YOU think of an 80's pop culture touchpoint that hasn't been made into a meme??? HOUSTON WE ARE GO FOR OUR NEXT SINGLE -- ON VINYL!!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 04:21:04 am »

Freezepop isn't a real band, is it?  I mean, I thought they were some shitty club band that we've only heard about because Onstad is friends with one of them.

G3K

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • http://g3k.livejournal.com
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 04:31:48 am »

Quote
Freezepop isn't a real band, is it? I mean, I thought they were some shitty club band that we've only heard about because Onstad is friends with one of them.


I'd never heard of them before, period.  Of course, I hadn't read this board more than a half-dozen times before yesterday, either.

Although I did pick up the feeling that, even though you moderate the board, you seem to really dislike the author of the comic it's dedicated to... what's up with that, if you don't mind my asking? :?
Logged
Also I am Korean and this offends me a lot

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 04:40:26 am »

Quote from: "G3K"
Quote
Freezepop isn't a real band, is it? I mean, I thought they were some shitty club band that we've only heard about because Onstad is friends with one of them.


I'd never heard of them before, period.  Of course, I hadn't read this board more than a half-dozen times before yesterday, either.

Although I did pick up the feeling that, even though you moderate the board, you seem to really dislike the author of the comic it's dedicated to... what's up with that, if you don't mind my asking? :?


I never thought Jough disliked Onstad...Jough's very egalitarian. He'll give you just what shit you deserve,  sometimes more but never less.  It's his way.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 04:41:09 am »

Go on, Jough... tell him.  There's no reason not to talk about..................... the Incident.

Edit:  Curse you for being ever-so-slightly quicker on the comeback draw, Aloha.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 04:44:09 am »

Yeah, if you start acting like a dick, G3K, I'll call you on it too.

No, I have no problem with Mr. Onstad.  He's just a little pissy at times, and tends to be a bit of a creep to people that like his work, let alone criticise it.

But artist types are renowned for that.  :roll:

V-Adore

  • Guest
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 04:45:11 am »

Quote from: "G3K"

Although I did pick up the feeling that, even though you moderate the board, you seem to really dislike the author of the comic it's dedicated to... what's up with that, if you don't mind my asking? :?

Is bad mojo, Padawan. Is complicated.

Anyway -- I'm not entirely sure if I would dig Freezepop doing much else beyond this. But for this little Philippe song, I can deal with it. It's sort of charmingly inept, if that makes any sense.
Logged

G3K

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • http://g3k.livejournal.com
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 04:55:27 am »

Yeah, I guess that explains why the Dumbrella board was on its last day of existence the first time I tried to access it.  "I can't handle this anymore" blah blah blah.  

At least he's not Chris Baldwin of Bruno.  That guy is fuck*ng annoying.  And the comic is usually quite good.
Logged
Also I am Korean and this offends me a lot

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Freezepop & Philippe
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 05:29:34 am »

The Freezepop girl is almost hot.  The music sounds like the song that played when you pressed the "DEMO" button on a 1984 Casiotone Mini Keyboard.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up