Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Old but good expressions  (Read 20795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« on: March 31, 2004, 02:52:39 am »

So, I call my sweetie a dish. I know people don't use that expression much anymore, but it certainly fits her. Anybody else?

I'm also kind of crotchety sometimes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 03:02:04 am »

I use 'oh dear' instead of 'oh shit' or 'oh fuck.'

I thought I was being ironic, me, a big burly guy using an expression most closely associated with the stereotypical grandmother character.  But then I heard Robert Plant say it on HTWWW and realized I have been aligned with the height of cool all along.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:13:40 am »

I picked up "cookin' with gas" for a while.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 03:32:57 am »

I got "cookin' with gas" and "you are getting on my last nerve" from a woman I worked with.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Old but good expressions
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 05:19:16 am »

Pretty much everything I say is either to some extent antiquated or just otherwise outside the vernacular: rad, tubular, nifty, swell, my stars!, egad!, drat!, and so on.  

I also tend to speak even in casual circumstances with extreme technical correctness and am generally perceived as not making much sense.

So basically I really dislike the way in which the Youth of Today express themselves and am resisting it as much as I can.

Oh yeah, and I'm really, really pretentious.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Old but good expressions
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 06:17:00 am »

I said that a girl was "the bee's knees" the other day, and use the phrase "the living end" quite often.

Golly, this sure is swell!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 02:01:11 pm »

i'm not sure if it's so much antiquated as it is just dumb, but i have a tendency to say "now we're cookin' with crisco".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 02:34:54 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I said that a girl was "the bee's knees" the other day, and use the phrase "the living end" quite often.

Golly, this sure is swell!


I can't say/hear "bee's knees" without following it up with "the wasp's nipples."

And lately I've taken to saying "aces!" Sometimes I even throw in a "baby" afterwards.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Old but good expressions
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 03:06:43 pm »

I keep using "I'll give you what for!"  It's definitely antiquated, as I picked it up from 1936 Strong Bad.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Old but good expressions
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 03:28:20 pm »

I occasionally use 'I'll tell you this for free'. Which gets odd looks.
'Mutt's Nutt's' I guess isn't so old fashioned but gets said.

Most of the things I say are fairly antiquated too really. Or I guess I just feel that way because I tend to speak in good English, while no one else around me does.

My brother had an unfortunate phase when he kept saying 'cool beans'. It was frustrating.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Old but good expressions
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 03:35:40 pm »

I'd re-join this discussion, but I've got to see a man about a dog.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 04:20:33 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
'I'll tell you this for free'


Oh my, yes.

I call the sweet girl a dame sometimes, too. She likes it when I say things like that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 04:44:41 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

My brother had an unfortunate phase when he kept saying 'cool beans'. It was frustrating.


that was my catch-phrase for awhile, i say it on occassion still but less and less as it was "co-opted" by a nemesis.

i really don't know the etymology of it, though, nor do i recall when or where it was that i picked it up.  i seem to recall that it was during a go at college, but those days are hazy.

i guess i'm curious as to why you would deem such a phase as "unfortunate".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 04:59:33 pm »

Some people here at work say 'bad chicken' to refer to something with approval. That's unfortunate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 05:21:49 pm »

I've been known to refer to ill-advised behaviors as "a chump's game", and occasionally call people "ya mooks".
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up