Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Old but good expressions  (Read 20748 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2004, 04:55:59 pm »

Now don't get your knickers in a twist.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Old but good expressions
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2004, 05:08:38 pm »

This hot weather gives me the horribles.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2004, 05:33:11 pm »

There's no need to get all het up, Bozack.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2004, 06:26:30 pm »

You folks work on me just like a tonic.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2004, 06:33:08 pm »

In this thread wombat has posts like Heinz has pickles.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2004, 06:35:33 pm »

I think I'm going to start saying "I'm a little porkish" when I'm hungry to knock a chunk off someone.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Old but good expressions
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2004, 07:04:38 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if y'all are a few tacos short of a combination plate.

And when it's stinkin' hot, I get the horribles, too; nonetheless, I'm really starting to get screaming fantods about this snow.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2004, 07:20:01 pm »

Your mother wears army boots.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2004, 11:43:31 pm »

GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!

Alternately, Great Caesar's Ghost! or my favorite variation, Great Shades of Elvis!
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2004, 04:44:35 am »

I have used "Great Scott!" wholly without irony or premeditation.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2004, 09:29:42 pm »

ahh. Colorful expressions.

Let me preface this with a caveat: I have a foul mouth (more backstory is here.)

My all-time favorite phrase is, "For fuck's sake!"

If I'm in the company of children, or if I'm at work, my favorite phrase is, "Crikey!" said in a really bad Liverpudlian accent.

Some newer phrases that I have co-opted from Halo2 and such creative genius as Red Versus Blue is, "team-killing fucktard."

Heh...another of my favorite phrases, "I'm gonna peg you into submission" comes from my favorite Kiwi.  I have a New Zealander friend, Tony, who is awesome. He's tall and ripped, and sexy as hell (ex-military, volunteer firefighter, carpenter, runs his family's dairy farm, etc.). He is also gay, but that doesn't mean I can't admire his sexxahness.

Anyhow, last summer he was hanging out with me, my fiance, and our mutual friends, Evan & Jessica. The guys were doing some maintenance on their cars. My fiance was having some difficulty with his Toyota, and he yelled something to the effect of, "You cocksucking bitch!" at it.

Tony stopped. Looking at my fiance, he said, "Hey now, you've not only insulted me, you've also insulted Linne and Jess. You'd better watch it, boy, before I buttfuck you into submission."

Heh. The look on my fiance's face was priceless. In the spirit of Dan Savage's article on pegging, I have co-opted Tony's phrase and I regularly threaten to sodomize men who piss me off, usually with a strap-on (aka, "pegging") or whatever is at hand. ;) Hee!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Old but good expressions
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2004, 09:46:12 pm »

Quote
Linnea rambled on and on and on...:
blah blah blah [sic]


Ahem.

None of them are "old but good" expressions.  You've completely missed the point of the thread.

You lose five points from your "coolness" scorecard.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2004, 01:39:36 am »

I thought she was funny. And I can think about her with a strap-on, which is just a huge bonus.

Also, on-topic: I have a friend who still calls people variations of the word 'Dil'

as in SHUT UP DILWad or SHUT UP you DIL! That's some archaic usage if you ask me.  A fun sub-thread to this might be Phrases we don't use any more that sound really stupid now.

Like when I was in Elementary School and we used to tell each other to Sit On It. And Up Your Nose with a Rubber Hose.

My 5 year old daughter spontaneously breaks into "So, So, suck your toe, all the way to Mexico; While you're there, eat a pear, eat a pair of Underwear!"
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2004, 02:12:27 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!

Alternately, Great Caesar's Ghost! or my favorite variation, Great Shades of Elvis!

I've always been partial to Great Googly-Moogly, but I think I like Great Shades of Elvis even better.
Off topic, I always wanted to get shirts or bumper stickers printed that said "the four Elvii of the apocalypse" and had pics of Presley, Costello, Stojko, and Grbac. Now the last two are getting sort of obscure . . . if they weren't too obscure before. And preemptively, Elvii may not be the correct declination of whatever the word actually would be in Latin or whatever, but it's funnier that way, which trumps everything.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2004, 02:30:48 pm »

Come on. Who doesn't remember Rich Hall and his Sniglet fame from the '80s? I'd say that's a pretty fuck*ng textbook example of an "Old But Good" expression. Pegging someone into submission is a pretty antiquated concept. Dan Savage, with the help of his readers, just coined a  Sniglet in its honor.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up