The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on December 31, 2005, 05:04:00 pm
-
So, for this Christmas, since my SO constantly talked about his grandmother's recipe for Heavenly Hash and how he craved it and missed it so, I decided to give him the gift of getting the recipe from his grandma and making it. So that is what I did. When I asked her about it, the SO's mother overheard me and grandma talking and said "Oh, you mean cholesterol on a plate?" So his grandma gave me the recipe, and being the city-fied girl that I am, I knew nothing of Hash except of the brick of pot type thing, and I was pretty sure that's not a dish that grandmas traditionally serve. So I took down the recipe without really thinking much about it, picked up the few things we didn't already have. It was only until I set out to make it last night that I really realized how horrifically unhealthy it was. I mean... It's so bad for you. As I was making it, I was thinking, "Oh, no, this will be our downfall!" You can tell the boy comes from old farm stock when a family recipe like this is passed down through the generations.
So, since 'tis the season for eating badly, please share with class the most unhealthy things you've ever prepaired/eaten. For me, it had to be the hash. Here it is:
Heavenly Hash:
1 1/4 pound ground beef
5 strips of bacon
1 large cooking onion - chopped
1 cup celery - chopped
1 tsp salt
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup Velveeta cheese
2 cups cooked macaroni
1/2 Tblsp butter
Set element to medium heat, melt butter in skillet. Cook bacon and onion until bacon crumbles. Add beef, salt and celery (that's right, don't drain the grease from the bacon - you're going to cook everything in the grease from the bacon). Cook until meat is fully browned. Add cheese, lower temp, allow cheese to melt, mix cheese into the meat, add the noodles and cans of soup, mix until fully combined. Pour Hash into casserole, and cook uncovered in oven at 350 degrees. Serve.
I think I actually felt my chest tighten as I ate it, but it was damn tasty. It's very unlike my cooking, as there is really no seasoning added, but I guess, really, with all the bacon, and the bacon grease flavoring all the other ingredients, there is no need for any other seasonings.
-
Celery, tomatos, onions, that sounds like a very healthy dish to me. Hm, the heavenly hash diet. Lose 10 pounds, ask me how.
~Paul
-
My personal favorite Totally Unhealthy Food is "steak fingers," which appear to be everywhere in the South. They're chicken fingers... except made of chicken-fried steak. With white gravy on the side.
I think they've singlehandedly lowered my life expectancy by five years. Mmmmm.
-
Man, I put on two pounds just reading that recipe.
-
My personal favorite Totally Unhealthy Food is "steak fingers," which appear to be everywhere in the South. They're chicken fingers... except made of chicken-fried steak. With white gravy on the side.
I think they've singlehandedly lowered my life expectancy by five years. Mmmmm.
Burger King has these disturbing-looking 'chicken fries' right now - is that like what you are talking about?
-
Burger King has these disturbing-looking 'chicken fries' right now - is that like what you are talking about?
Nah, these are... well... egregiously Southern. There's no actual chicken involvement, just... battered, deep-fried steak in "finger" form. With gravy. I cannot stress the gravy portion of the experience enough.
-
Oh man, I'll bet it's that greazy white southern gravy, too, like they put on chicken fried steak? That sounds like it would be awesome in fry form. But how does the gravy come? In little cold sauce packets? I mean, is this drive-thru fare or what? The whole point of the "____ finger" is for portable dining. Without the need for portability there's no point in making something in stick form.
-
My personal favorite Totally Unhealthy Food is "steak fingers," which appear to be everywhere in the South. They're chicken fingers... except made of chicken-fried steak. With white gravy on the side.
Sounds like a cup-o-gravy to me. Which ain't nearly enough.
-
Oh man, I'll bet it's that greazy white southern gravy, too, like they put on chicken fried steak?
Yeah, that's it. It's a Chicken Fried Steak in a "Finger" form.
~Paul
-
Yeah, that's it. It's a Chicken Fried Steak in a "Finger" form.
~Paul
Yep. And the gravy comes in one of those little Styrofoam cups they use for salad dressing "on the side," except bigger.
Seriously, I'm not sure if you could get less healthy if you just ate solid lard.
-
Wow, deep fried steak. That is awesome. The last time I made steak, which was in fact not very long ago, I remember thinking, "Hey, I should totally cut and deep fry steak - I'm sure some crazy people would eat it!" and then I thought that someone probably already tried that by now, that it was only really a hop-skip-and-jump away from chicken fried steak, and sure enough, it has been done.
It's gross to me. Especially with the idea of a Styrofoam cup of gravy on the side. I beat it that super thick kind of gravy too. I'm sure I've told my disgusting KFC gravy story here, once, a long, long time ago. I will not tell it again, but all you really need to know is that I am permanently turned off to gravy in Styrofoam cups.
Another horrifically unhealthy food memory that involves the SO and I: We were at a summer carnival thing called the Red River Exhibition, and we saw a booth that sold deep-fried Mars bars or Snickers on sticks, and we thought, "hey Elvis can't be wrong," so we went and got one to share, and there was a variety of toppings to choose from - we got whipped cream, and caramel sauce, and something else sprinkled on top. It was stupidly expensive - over $5, I think. We ate it fairly quickly, as a Mars bar, no matter what it's coated in, is quite small when shared between two people, nevermind if it has been deep fried, and is therefore melting. So we ate it, and threw the stick out, then we ran into a buddy of my SO's, went on some rides, looked a depressed animals in a petting zoo, etc.
That was about two years ago, and recently we saw some TV blurb about the same food item and I mentioned how we had shared a deep fried Mars bar, and the SO was like "No, I've never eaten a deep fried mars bar!" And I was like, "yes you did, we shared one at the Red River Ex. It was gooey. Then we ran into Joe." He remembered running into his friend, but he continued to insist he never ate a deep fried Mars bar. It's so strange to me that he wouldn't remember this - it was a food event - but he honestly doesn't remember eating it.
-
The gravy in a cup is a more recent innovation of the steak finger variety. The original chicken fried steak idea involves pouring the gravy directly onto the deep fried battered steak. Also, CFS gravy is unlike KFC gravy. It's actually thicker and white, which I suspect makes it even more disgusting for you. The CFS is generally served with french fries so ketchup is involved as well.
~Paul
-
White gravy like sausage biscuit gravy? Which is a rather frightening but delicious thing that I only encountered late in life. And which it's probably just as well I don't encounter more often. I have still never met a chicken-fried steak, though.
-
Oh, I know the white gravy well, my grandma used to make it all the time. Us French Candians call it sauce-blanche.
Also, this thread has caused me to think about and crave the two most evil bad for me foods ever: The McChicken and poutine (http://www.avivalasvegas.com/Pages/poutinetalk6.htm).
-
I love that Canadians have a name for "french fries with gravy on them." Poutine is an awesomely awful thing but it has a good name.
Also, is it not pronounced POO-TEEN?
That web site you linked to is wacky.
-
Poutine is not just gravy on fries, it's cheese curds too. Never mind having a name for it - how did any one person ever decide this was a good combination, let alone a whole culture?
-
I tried to trick a co-worker and her sister into eating it once. They were going to Montreal for a few days of vacation, and mentioned that it was their first time in Canada. They asked me for some advice, since I was a Canadian pro (having been to Toronto all of one time, for one day, and making several excursions across the Niagara River into the cesspool that is Niagara Falls, Ontario when I visited family on the American side). I told them that one piece of Canadian cuisine they HAD to try was poutine. I do believe I used the phrase, "It's a delicacy." I was very sad to learn they did not try it while they were there.
-
I love that Canadians have a name for "French fries with gravy on them." Poutine is an awesomely awful thing but it has a good name.
Also, is it not pronounced POO-TEEN?
That web site you linked to is wacky.
What makes this food name even more cool? Anglo-Canadians pronounce it "poo-teen," Franco-Canadians pronounce it poo-tin with a harder "n" at the end, but the most important thing to realize is the that in French (and also the Filipino dialect of Tagalog) "putain" means slut, and since the pronunciation of the two words are only subtly different, hilarity often ensues. I've heard people in both official languages make jokes about how whore-ish this food dish actually is. I mean it's all greasy and cheesy.
I managed to not eat poutine today even though I wanted to. It helped that I forgot my wallet at home all day.
-
I've never eaten poutine, but when I heard about it I immediately linked it to Outback Steakhouse's [urlhttp://www.outback.com/ourmenu/menu.asp]Aussie Cheese Fries[/url], which are basically constructed like this:
Take a starchy root vegetable.
Cut into strips and fry in oil.
Put a bunch on a plate with salt and pepper.
Shred cheese and dump on top.
Prepare bacon, crumble it into bits, and dump that on top, too.
Bake long enough to melt the cheese.
Serve with a gigantic bowl of ranch dressing.
It, too, is a heart attack on a plate, and it is SO GOOD. Goddamn.
-
Somehow I missed this topic until just now. I must say I'm very disappointed that it had nothing to do with getting high. But damnit if that recipe doesn't make me salivate.
Oh, and Dawg, those Chicken Fries from Burger King? They aren't good. And I had the munchies when I ate them.
-
KFC had chicken fries just like that when I was working there about, hell, 11 years ago - it was my first job. I had to walk around the food court giving out free samples, but most people were just disgusted and didn't want anything to do with them. The ones at Burger King look totally identical, but I'm not even going to venture to try them - they're way to gross looking.
I ended up eating a McChicken. Just talking about things that are bad for you seems to trigger this desire. Yuck. And I did have the regret as I sunk my teeth in.
Anyway. Last night I made and old school dinner and I felt like a 1950's housewife: meatloaf, mac n' cheese (home made, not from a box) and spinach. It was actually really nice.
Come on people, you know you've eaten bad for you stuff that terrifies you, so confess. Confess.
-
Last night I made and old school dinner and I felt like a 1950's housewife: meatloaf, mac n' cheese (home made, not from a box) and spinach. It was actually really nice.
You made meatloaf and mac and cheese at the same dinner? You are truly a domestic goddess. I'll cook, but I'll be damned if I'm going to make a side dish that's as complicated as the main course.
-
Neither meat loaf nor mac 'n' cheese is complicated, really.
I mean, meatloaf is a pretty easy dinner to prepare, no? You put in the spices, mix it up with your hands, form it into a big loaf, top it with bacon and katsup, put it in the oven for an hour and a half. Difficulty: 2
Mac and Cheese is a little more complicated, but not really. If you're going to bake it you don't even need to cook the macaroni first - just make the sauce a little wetter.
Anyway, that sounds like a lovely 50s dinner. I know people would sometimes eat M&C as a main course, but everyone knows that it's a side-dish.
-
See the whole meal was indirectly inspired by the Hash - I had half a brick of left over Velveeta, and I was looking at it, thinking how I was surprised that they still even made Velveeta, I mean as a product it's so 1950's housewife to me.
It was actually the first time I've even made meatloaf, mostly because I don't like to make or eat what I consider "pedestrain" food. I'll normally cook on the gourmet side of things, so meatloaf and hash are so outside my boundaries. Making the hash for the SO kind of awaked my senses to the pleasures of old standards, hence the meatloaf, which was very, very good. I think what scared me away from these sorts of foods was that my mother was like the classic bad cook - I mean everything she made was terrible, and her repetoir of cooking was totally in the 50's housewife style (even though she was a late 70's housewife).
-
Well, I want Jough's recipe for mac and cheese, because when I make it, it is so complicated that I have to go and lie down.
I keep meaning to say that I am sure I have eaten interestingly evil things, but they are all wiped out of my mind every time I think of that hash recipe, leaving me with nothing but a vague craving for Popeye's fried chicken.
-
See, every Canadian I know who has tried Popeyes chicken while visiting the U.S. says it forever ruins Canadian chicken for them. They crave the Popeyes, to the point where I think it best to not even try.
The Mac n' cheese I make is super easy too.
1) boil noodles (about 3 cups dry noodles) on high in large pot
2) while noodles boil, set out other ingredients to bring to room temp: 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup Velveeta of cheese whiz, 2 tbls butter or margarine and fine grated 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of cheddar (use what you like - I like old cheddar), salt and pepper to taste.
4) once noodles are soft, drain well, set element to low (3 on my oven) then return noodles to empty pot, add butter and stir until butter is melted. Slowly add half of the shredded cheese to melt in, add Velveeta, working to break the lump-o-cheese into smaller pieces, letting it melt, add milk, keep stirring, slowly add the rest of the cheddar cheese while stirring to melt.
That's it.
Unless you prefer more of a casserole style mac-n-cheese, in which cause, I would just put the finished mac-n-cheese on a casserole, shred a 1/4 to 1/2 cup more cheese, spread on top and bake until bubbly.
-
Let's change her name to Side_Dish.
-
Oh, man, you can't use Velveeta to make Mac 'N' Cheese. That's just foul.
I'll post a recipe later.
-
I only even know what Velveeta is because of a Tom Waits track...
I will eat mac and cheese as a main dish, but then it's just so good. I don't have it often though. Hash is good. Can't beat hash, but meatloaf I despise. Never liked the stuff, and well, haven't had to have it in a long time since, as you say, it's become a kind of cliche like fondu.
-
Yeah, eating meatloaf is sort of like a joke if your in your 20's - it's like wearing one of those tailored leather jackets from the 60's, it's a reference.
-
Smells, i'm in my 20's (at least for another 9 months) and I've been eating meatloaf without irony for quite a few years now.
It makes an awesome sandwich the next day, on a couple large baguette slices with mayo and hossradish. I've heard ketchup is good too, but haven't tried it.
-
See, every Canadian I know who has tried Popeyes chicken while visiting the U.S. says it forever ruins Canadian chicken for them. They crave the Popeyes, to the point where I think it best to not even try.
Around here where Popeye's are plentiful they say the same thing about Pollo Campero. I remember when the first one in the area opened in Herndon they actually had police outside to keep the lines moving in an orderly fashion.
-
I had Popeye's on Thursday (on the trip!). It was good.
-
Meatloaf's great. Especially my Grandma's, and I believe she made some the other night. Guess who is getting a visit from me tomorrow after work? Especially because I get off at 1 PM, and Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays, so that's not an option for lunch.
Any Chick-fil-A fans here? I love the place. Good chicken, and fuck*ng fantastic slaw. Popeye's is good. At least I think that's what I had in Phoenix when I was there last.
Oh, and Choop, you're goddamned right about the sandwiches the next day. fuck*ng great.
-
Any Chick-fil-A fans here? I love the place. Good chicken, and fuck*ng fantastic slaw. Popeye's is good. At least I think that's what I had in Phoenix when I was there last.
Chick-Fil-A is hella good. I think it may be my favorite fast-food chicken, actually; I've never been that fond of fried-chicken-in-a-bucket, and Chick-Fil-A can't be beaten for nuggets/strips/sandwiches. Popeye's is also excellent, though, and is very popular near where my parents live, where they take fast-food chicken very seriously.
-
I love me some Chick-Fil-A. It's the pressure-frying that does it, plus the fries are pretty good even when they approach room temperature. I didn't realize when I moved out here that there were all of two of them in the San Diego area. The sandwiches are good, but the chicken biscuits are just unbelievable (and have to take days off your life). Perfect buttered biscuits surrounding tasty fried chicken? Sign me UP.
I'm gonna have to make an excursion.
As far as fried chicken, I'm of the opinion that almost any gas station in Alabama will have better fried chicken than Popeye's or KFC, if it's fresh/stored properly. But that may be nostalgia, 'cause I grew up when there were still independent gas stations actually run by people who put their name on the sign. It may be different now that it's all BP Station #2084.
-
You bastards, there is a Chick fil A right around the corner. I have never been tempted to eat at it before. You bastards.
Partly this is because I resented this chain for a long time because I onlly figured out after, like, years, how they meant you to pronouce their name.
Well, at least today is Sunday. Perhaps I'll forget about it for a while.
-
You bastards, there is a Chick fil A right around the corner. I have never been tempted to eat at it before. You bastards.
Partly this is because I resented this chain for a long time because I only figured out after, like, years, how they meant you to pronounce their name.
Well, at least today is Sunday. Perhaps I'll forget about it for a while.
You too?
I was dating a girl once, and we were hanging out somewhere downtown, and this guy next to us was talking to a friend on a cell phone. He was all, "let's meet at that place, Chick-Filla (with the 'a' like in fella), you know that place in the mall?" And this girl started laughing. I did too, of course. Later she told her friends, and they all made fun of him, including me, for not pronouncing it Chick-Fillet, of course, the fuck*ng idiot! My secret shame was that up until that point I had also pronounced it that way.
Later, well, actually at the very end of our relationship, we got into an argument, involving her friends, over the pronunciation of Nietzsche. I had mentioned him because she had mentioned in an email that they were studying him in a class, and they laughed at me. At the time I was studying German so I felt I was a bit of an authority on it, but I was outnumbered so I backed down (which is unusual for me. Not that I'm always looking for an argument, but I hated being corrected with incorrect information). It still bothers me to this day. We weren't talking for a while, partly because she got married. But a while ago I started to see her on my MSN Messenger again, and was always looking for an opportunity to bring the subject up again. Like, "you know, I'm going to Germany this summer. Speaking of which, do you still pronounce Nietzsche incorrectly?" Or, "I took a class on Nietzsche last semester. How did you pronounce that again? Oh, interesting. That's not how my Harvard-trained Professor did." But it never did, and we don't talk anymore, again.
But Wombat, it's hella good. Chick-fil-A, that is.
Oh yeah, I have one friend who declared he was going to protest it for being closed on Sunday, until I told him it wasn't a Utah chain. Once he knew it wasn't a Mormon thing, he was OK with it.
-
Tiny Can to Miles for confirming that that is a stupid way to spell that thing.
I'm a little weirded out by the closed on Sunday deal too. But I am going to have to try it. Because we are all about education.
-
...a bitter story about pronunciation...
You win the most-bitter-post-related-indirectly-to-bad-for-you-food-award! And what do you win? It's tiny! It's in a can! I think it just might be...! (spokes model pulls back curtain) A tiny can of Dr. Pepper!
-
Another tiny can for you, good sir. I can't stand people who get snobby about pronunciation, and I've always been a bit self-conscious about it since my high school friends (who said I had an "Alaskan accent," which is an incredibly fake idea) made fun of me for 'mispronouncing' "warm." I still don't know what they thought I was doing wrong...
-
I'm glad I don't mispronounce Chick-fil-A like you freaks. But about you're friend miles, aren't Mormans Christians? Sorta... He's wouldn't be upset becuse they are closed because they are Christian, only if they are Morman Christian?
I don't hate Chick-fil-A for being closed on Sunday, even though they are totally smug and smarmy about it, but rather for their horrible ad campaign (http://www.eatmorchikin.com/). They make BK chicken fries seem downright refined by comparison.
~Paul
-
So... They spell fillet wrong, and also many, many other words? How are they smug about being closed on Sundays? Do they put a sing in their windows that says "Closed on Sundays, you fat fuck! Sorry you have to wait 'til Monday to fill you gullet! And oh yeah, Jesus loves you!"
-
Upstate PA is so Christian that there are some towns where every store, even convenience stores, are closed on Sunday by town ordinance.
I once saw a furniture store with those moveable letters that said "SEE YOU IN CHURCH" on it.
It made me wonder: do they change the sign every Saturday before closing?
-
So... They spell fillet wrong, and also many, many other words? How are they smug about being closed on Sundays? Do they put a sing in their windows that says "Closed on Sundays, you fat fuck! Sorry you have to wait 'til Monday to fill you gullet! And oh yeah, Jesus loves you!"
Close. From the Chick-fil-A website.
"Admittedly, closing all of our restaurants every Sunday makes us a rarity in this day and age. But it's a little habit that has always served us well, so we're planning to stick with it.
Our founder, Truett Cathy, wanted to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator had an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week. Made sense then, still makes sense now."
Actually i'm not against businesses shutting down for one day a week. I do think it's a good thing to give their people a day to be with their familes, but that statement, which sounds pretty much the same as the placard I saw in front of their kiosk at the mall food court really strikes me as smug. I guess that's just the way things are these days, you can't just do a good thing, you have to tell everyone that you are doing a good thing so you are sure to be given the credit for it.
~Paul
-
Our founder, Truett Cathy, wanted to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator had an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week. Made sense then, still makes sense now
Speaking from my computer at work here on Sunday, it appears that people who work for businesses that run seven days a week do have time off to rest from the work week. It's just that it's not always Sunday. Does everyone who works for Chick-Stupidspelling-A work all the other six days a week?
-
I don't eat there because there weren't any around here until recently (and there's still only like 2) and they put pickles on fuck*ng everything and seem offended if you order without. One time they just wouldn't do it. As if the chicken was fried with the pickles already there thus making removal impossible.
Also the smug food-court signs.
-
I'm glad I don't mispronounce Chick-fil-A like you freaks. But about you're friend miles, aren't Mormans Christians? Sorta... He's wouldn't be upset becuse they are closed because they are Christian, only if they are Morman Christian?
A lot of Christians are pretty sensitive about Mormons, I think; I have a friend who claims they aren't Christian, and a lot of people give them flack for having some seriously weird ideas. I know the Mormons themselves consider themselves to be a Christian sect, and I'm inclined to believe they're right (since, y'know, Jesus as the messiah and all), but heck if I know.
-
Actually, I kind of like those ads where the cows are telling you to eat more chicken, now that I think of it. And pickles don't seem like a bad idea.
Dammit now I can't think of anything else I want for dinner, and it's Sunday.
-
Hey, were were talking about Mormons last night in our chat, and I wasn trying to find a link that I posted, but I can't, but I did find this hilarious alarmist site (http://www.luciferlink.org/mugarments.htm). That I've just been reading. It's a luciferlink!
-
Damn, I hit pay dirt in this thread.
I'm glad I don't mispronounce Chick-fil-A like you freaks. But about you're friend miles, aren't Mormans Christians? Sorta... He's wouldn't be upset becuse they are closed because they are Christian, only if they are Morman Christian?
I don't hate Chick-fil-A for being closed on Sunday, even though they are totally smug and smarmy about it, but rather for their horrible ad campaign (http://www.eatmorchikin.com/). They make BK chicken fries seem downright refined by comparison.
I suppose Mormons are Christians (or at least I had always thought that, but some people would disagree), but that's not the point. Non-Mormons living in Utah, or even non-practicing Mormons, have a special thing against Mormons. I don't really, but lots of my friends do. But anyway, I talked to my friend today, and it does still bother him that it's closed on Sunday. I lived in Utah County for a few years, which is serious Mormon Country, so I guess I'm just used to it.
I don't like the ad campaign, either. In fact, I didn't try the place until recently, although it's been here since I've been here, because of the campaign. But the food's good, and the employees are so goddamned polite. Is it that way everywhere? When you thank them, they always reply with "It's my pleasure, sir." It's a southern chain, right? It's like they import their employees from the South, or either they put them through pretty intense training, because no one is that polite in a fast food setting around here. Especially in a chain. Also, is it true that everyone in the South puts the Polynesian Sauce mixed with mayonnaise on the chicken sandwiches?
Edit: So I hit up my grandparents for lunch today, but I didn't end up having a meatloaf sandwich. Instead, I had waffles, eggs, and sausage. And a fair amount of each. Is that bad enough for you?
-
Actually, I kind of like those ads where the cows are telling you to eat more chicken, now that I think of it. And pickles don't seem like a bad idea.
Dammit now I can't think of anything else I want for dinner, and it's Sunday.
I'm telling you, man. It gets in your blood. And the pickles are fantastic.
-
There are plenty of Christ-centered cults out there. Being nominally a Christian 'sect' doesn't mean that a group isn't all bad.
David Koresh's Branch Davidians were/are a splinter of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
The Way International is also generally characterized as a Christian Cult.[/img][/url]
The history of the Church of Latter Day Saints(The Mormons) is often referenced as evidence that it is a cult by people opposed to them. There are people who feel similarly about the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not going to express an opinion either way here because the definition and the organizations are both moving targets, and because I mention them not to support or attack them but to make the point that Cult Activity and "Christian" Activity are not mutually exclusive.
I will say, though, that if the owners of Chick Fil-A have a strong belief in the Ten Commandments and are closing their stores in observance of the Sabbath, that should be fine. Those of you who think this is some kind of a problem have obviously never lived in a place where there are many conservative Jews. I used to love to go to this bakery in Skokie, Illinois but in the winter I could nver get there by sundown on Friday so I was out of luck about half the time. I totally respect their adherence to their beliefs, though. And they were hell of good bakers (except when they would shut down completely during Passover. Then they were just good, observant Jews).
On the other hand, if I own/operate a business and I don't want to be open on Sunday, or Wednesday, or on Friday the 13th or whatever, why does it matter? And why is is appropriate to form a judgment about that practice?
As for "Blue Laws" in many areas like Jough mentions, the community sets a standard. If enough people in the community wanted those laws repealed (and I would) then they should either organize themselves or elect like-minded people to their legislative body.
-
And why is is appropriate to form a judgment about that practice?
BECAUSE I couldn't get into the chat room last night and I WANTED CHICKEN TONIGHT.
And, Mormons wear funny underwear.
I'm going to go sulk in the corner now.
-
On the other hand, if I own/operate a business and I don't want to be open on Sunday, or Wednesday, or on Friday the 13th or whatever, why does it matter? And why is is appropriate to form a judgment about that practice?
As for "Blue Laws" in many areas like Jough mentions, the community sets a standard. If enough people in the community wanted those laws repealed (and I would) then they should either organize themselves or elect like-minded people to their legislative body.
I don't take offense at Chick-Fil-A being closed on Sundays. I take offense at their implication that this policy makes them better than businesses that are open on Sundays. If their placards read:
"Why aren't Chick-Fil-A restaurants open on Sundays?
Our founder, Truett Cathy, wanted to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator had an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week. We've kept his wishes as part of our charter to honor his memory."
They'd have the same explanation (Our founder did it and we like it), but a less-smug message behind it. As it reads now, it falls just short of "We aren't open on Sundays because only sinners work on Sundays." To me, anyway. Maybe I'm more sensitive to that because there were a lot of people in my childhood who believed that, spoke it loudly and often, and would verbally accost strangers who dared pump their own gas on a Sunday.
Personally, I don't generally care what days a business is open* as long as I have a reasonable chance of getting to it during business hours. I might whine about not being able to get a specific widget or morsel, or perhaps wonder why this business owner does not want my money on certain days, but then I'll find a place that is open and give them my money. Capitalism!
As for blue laws, they die out brain-numbingly slowly because the people who enacted them are generally the ones with the most authority, most motivation, and biggest speaking platforms in the area. They tend to drive the opinions of the majority of the area's residents, most of whom wouldn't care one way or the other if they hadn't been taught their message from birth. To challenge a blue law is not only to admit that you enjoy alcohol (horrors!), but that six days a week is not enough time for you to enjoy alcohol, and furthermore, that you know what is better for the people than the people in charge of the city/county/parrish despite your love of the evil alcohol.
It doesn't help that many communities with these laws have healthy populations of students or "seasonal residents," who likely aren't eligible to vote locally in the first place, and don't care all that much if they are. But that's just my limited observation.
Also, I just put ketchup on my Chick-Fil-A. I don't know of this polynesian sauce.
Also, italics.
*Unless that business is my bank, which I need, which is always closed at least one hour before I can possibly get to it. This is because banks are run by fuckers.
-
Well, I felt like I had to chime in here, because Chick-fil-a is one of my very favorite things ever. And I've never had a problem getting it without pickles. In fact, they have a little sticker they put on the bag just to make me feel better - it's bright orange, and says "No Pickles," in no uncertain terms.
As for being closed on Sunday, meh. I guess if they want to take Sunday off, it's OK by me, although they do seem a litle holier-than-thou about it. Again, no big complaints. It's an inconvenience when I want Chick-Fil-A on Sunday (which seems to be the ONLY DAMN TIME I WANT IT), but it's my fault for not remembering. Besides, I probably don't need any more fried chicken.
No, apparently the real problem is that Chick-Fil-A's donations and such go to some fairly vehemently anti-gay groups. My current roommate is a gay rights activist, and apparently all the LGBT groups on campus have been boycotting Chick-Fil-A for some time. I refuse to boycott entirely, because their chicken is so delicious (and I've gotten him to eat some since then), but I try to go less, since I really don't like indirectly supporting groups like Focus on the Family (http://www.family.org).
So, bottom line on Chick-Fil-A, as far as I'm concerned:
Food: A+
Closed on Sunday: B
Support of Anti-Gay Evangelical Christian Groups: F
Of course, this is just me, but it seems like if the problem were only pickles, I'd go there more often.
-
No! NO! NOOO!
This is a thread about greasy edibles.
Not, NOT!, a thread about the reasons restaurants are closed on certain days!
Please don't be spoil my thread with nattering. For the love of whatever diety you do (or do not) worship, please split a thread about Gay protest, smug signage, non-secular business practises, etc to somewhere else more suitable. It's my fault for making fun of Mormons isn't it? I'm sorry.
Let's try to keep the discussion to that of greasiness and things you are compelled to eat, even in spite of your better judgement.
Come one! Come on!
-
Sorry - I was thinking as I was writing that that, if I had the power, this thread would've been split.
On a more greasy-food-related note:
I ate breakfast at McDonald's this morning before returning to work and school after a 3-week absence, and after getting approximately 2.5 hours of sleep.
Now I remember why I haven't eaten breakfast at McDonald's in about 3 years. Ugh.
-
Oh no! Your insides!
I actually have eaten the McChickens I craved, and a couple hours later I had that familiar stomache burble. "Ohh. Right, that's why I don't eat at McDonalds." Gah!
-
I could split this, but I'm not sure I want to encourage a whole thread on that other topic, much as I would like to discuss funny Mormon underwear. So let's try sticking to grease.
-
We like the Chic-Fil-A because it's good for the kiddies. Lizzie likes her some chicken nuggets, and you can get a fruit cup with the kid's meal rather than fries. Also, their kid's meal toys tend to be little books, rather than crappy movie tie-in plastic toys. This is a direct off-shoot of the chain's Christian orientation (they say they want to help instill "virtues"), but since they don't whack you over the head with it too hard, so be it.
Also, Chic-Fil-A is not unreasonable when you're dieting. Their salads are tasty and lo-cal, and a grilled chicken sandwich value meal is 12 old-formula Weight Watchers points. Compared to, say, a Chipotle burrito, you'd be doing pretty well.
Come on people, you know you've eaten bad for you stuff that terrifies you, so confess. Confess.
When I was in high school, we'd go to Long John Silver's, and get a bucket of just the little crispy batter bits. "Crunchies," we called them.
-
So wait, was there actually giraffe in the batter, or was it just like... Fried Batter?
Also, I just remembered something really bad for you that I've eaten, and is traditional Aboriginal-Metis food: Fry Bread. That's a piece of bannock dough, deep fried in animal-fat-based grease to the point that even when cold, when you bite in, there is a moderate squirt of grease that enters you mouth on each bite. Sometimes this is tossed in a bag of cinnamon and sugar. Also a traditional food that is the even more bad for you: the Lard Sandwich - you take the same piece of fried bannock, or sometimes baked bannock depending, and you basically put a slice of lard inside of it, and that is your lunch. I'm not kidding. My grandfather lived of lard sandwiches as a kid. Also, a beaver's tail is a delicacy to some people. My coworker grew up in a traditional Deni tribe and she tells me that if you take a beaver tail, which is basically just fat and skin, and you put it over a fire, as it cooks the tail splits opened and the fat inside makes the outer skin crispy. She says she loves it - but I am terrified.
-
FYI Wendy's will let you sub-out the fries for free for any combo and BK will swap fries for applesauce for the kiddies.
How can we talk about sickening greasy food and not mention that horrific breakfast sandwich at Burger King? It's so terrifying.
-
As I pass a billboard near my house depicting the Meatgantuan Omelette Abomination, or whatever it's called, I can sometimes feel little blockages forming in my arteries.
Sometimes I hear them plotting to make me buy one, so they can finally unionize.
-
Okay folks, a few years ago I created a recipe.. a recipe that will kill you.
It's my own version of Carbonera with some modifications. (I like messing about in the kitchen see.) I have made it four times in my life and I serve it with wine so that the blood is thin and no one dies of a heart attack right there on the spot.
Alfredo Sauce:
1 stick of butter
A good sized block of Parmeggiano-Reggiano Cheese (I use a fuck*ng ton, but whatever is your taste)
1 1/2 Pints of Heavy Cream
Cracked Pepper
Fresh Basil Leaves
Parsley
A smidge olive oil to taste
(Optional) Bacon, cook it seperately and crumble those bad boys in there
This part is simple, just mix that shit in a bowl and let it simmer. SIMMER DAMN YOU! Don't get it too hot or the cheese and/or cream with skin and burn. Bad you if you do this.
Chicken:
1 Chicken Breast
Bread Crumbs
3 Cloves of Garlic
Light Dry Wine (Chardonnay or something is fine)
Pepper
Oregano
Cut slits in the Chicken and place the garlic on the inside. In a pan put a little butter base down and pour some of the wine, get it smoking. Roll the chicken in a little milk (or the leftover cream if you're daring) and coat it with the breadcrumbs (I like home made garlic ones myself, but whatever floats your proverbial boat). Sear that mutha and season it. The outside should be golden brown while the inside should be just DELICIOUS
Noodles:
Fettucini Noodles
Water
Pot
Fire
Duh
If you cannot boil noodles then please poke your eyes out with skewers and then run outside telling everyone you are a useless human being. (I'm kidding.. I love you.. baby baby I promise)
So then, it goes noodles with a little well in the middle, then the chicken, then an assload of sauce.
Much like some sort of international spy woman this dish is absolutely irresistable, sexy, and deadly; serve with wine or I stab you.
-
How can we talk about sickening greasy food and not mention that horrific breakfast sandwich at Burger King? It's so terrifying.
Yeah, the Meatnormous Giant Breakfast Motherfucker definitely qualifies for this thread. Personally, though, I'm still trying to cope with the existence of the McGriddle, which people say is delicious but which squicks me to no end. It's a sandwich with PANCAKES FOR THE BREAD. A fast-food sandwich, with fast-food pancakes? WRONG, SORRY, TRY AGAIN
-
McGriddles taste like so much ass.
-
I have this problem with McGriddles - many of my friends, whose culinary tastes I would say range from pedestrian to gourmet (and all of whom are credible, food-wise anyway), swear that McGriddles taste like what angels would taste like if you covered them with syrup and bacon. I'm still conflicted though, because as has been mentioned, pancakes ARE NOT BREAD. It seems like it'd be another "maple bacon" fiasco where instead of being maple-smoked or something sensible like that, it's SWEET BACON.
I don't need any sweet bacon.
Also, according to one or two of these friends: one McGriddle is OK. Two is instantaneous death in the most horrible way possible. I do not exactly understand this distinction.
So, I haven't had one, and kinda don't plan on it, especially since this morning's McDonald's breakfast mistake. If I ever get one, I'll be sure to let you guys (and my friends) know exactly how I feel about it.
-
Has anyone eaten a Thickburger? Carolus Linnaeus would classify those as obscenely horrifying.
-
Okay folks, a few years ago I created a recipe.. a recipe that will kill you.
Theres too many foodies areound here for me not to comment. (Feel free to start a NEW thread with your recipes, btw, you'll see there are many recipe threads already)
I think that if you decide the smoked pork product (I like Pancetta in mine or even small cubes of smoked italian ham) is optional, you should probably not call this Pasta Carbonara. So, snarkily,, I'd say you have a nice Breaded Chicken (it sounds good) and Fettucini Alfredo w/Basil recipe here and I might just try it.
The 'classic' Pesentation of Spaghetti Carbonara (which means, literally, "Spagehtti served in the manner of Coal Miners") always contains bacon or pancetta and features raw egg or egg yolk tossed with the pasta and sauce right before serving. The recipe I'm most fond of has only 5 ingredients and three steps I usually also add some very fresh blanched green peas in mine if I can get good ones. Probably heretical.
I served a nice Fume Blanc with my version once and it was quite good.
-
Theres too many foodies areound here for me not to comment. (Feel free to start a NEW thread with your recipes, btw, you'll see there are many recipe threads already)
I think that if you decide the smoked pork product (I like Pancetta in mine or even small cubes of smoked italian ham) is optional, you should probably not call this Pasta Carbonara.
The optional was just me being snarky. :P
A few things I've put in this recipe that tasted amazing. Red peppers, Yellow peppers, and snow peas, all also heretical but it tasted damn good and made me feel a teensy bit better about actually eating the dish.
-
FYI Wendy's will let you sub-out the fries for free for any combo and BK will swap fries for applesauce for the kiddies.
Also, if you don't order the meal combo at McD and just a la carte a sandwich, side salad and drink, the cost is the same. I think if you asked them for a combo and switch the fries for a side salad, they would get confused, though. I know they would here.
-
Yeah, your recipe sounds good, but it ain't Carbonara.
-
I ordered the Monarchy of the Burger Meatifying Egg Death Super Slab Preservation Society once in Pittsburgh, after flying in for a wedding when we didn't have time nor energy to get anywhere but a familiar fast-food joint.
I'm not sure I'll ever do it again. I didn't couldn't finish it. That has never happened over a fast-food offering, and I used to order some artery-clogging shit back in my day. That I live to tell the tale is a bit of a testament. I hurt my jaw trying to get the first couple of bites in. I don't know what kind of orifice that thing was made to go into...
...except maybe Gina's pu$$y.
-
Yeah, your recipe sounds good, but it ain't Carbonara.
I-I Just wanted to share my beloved deadly recipe.. screw all of you! I'm going home to mother! *Runs out of the room weeping*
I kid I kid.. okay.. I won't call it Carbonera from now I'll.. I'll just call it.. um... Bobbie Jones... I should make Bobbie Jones again soon I think.
-
I-I Just wanted to share my beloved deadly recipe.. screw all of you! I'm going home to mother! *Runs out of the room weeping*
I kid I kid.. okay.. I won't call it Carbonera from now I'll.. I'll just call it.. um... Bobbie Jones... I should make Bobbie Jones again soon I think.
As long as you're in the mood to be flogged mercilessly, spell CarbonAra right from now on too. And do you mean Bobby Jones the golfer or Bobby Jones the Celtic? The answer is important.
-
Q, you can call your dish whatever you want. Now you all play nice, because it would be tragic to have to lock a thread where we got to learn about lard frybread sandwiches. Now that's education.
-
That Burger King thing is not only an affront to my arteries but has lead to way too many people saying "meat . . . on top of meat . . ." and so on for no good reason. This meme must be stopped now. And while we're at it let's put an end to the whole good news/Geico thing as well.
-
Q, you can call your dish whatever you want. Now you all play nice, because it would be tragic to have to lock a thread where we got to learn about lard frybread sandwiches. Now that's education.
Yeah, because I'm obviously very serious about which Bobby Jones he's talking about.
Now you're just trying to make a wuss out of him. Fight back, Q. Have some dignity.
-
I go to dinner and this is what happens?
Look, you pedant, you can yell at me about my spelling, or you can yell at Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=carbonera&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official).
Actually I'm not sure, I was under the impression both were acceptible.. I may be wrong about that.. I am not classically trained here or anything; I just make shit up in the kitchen based on stuff I have seen before. It is half-assed science!
And I don't want to call it Bobby Jones anymore, I mean if I'm gonna make something I'd rather make Camille "Sensua" Assy-Nipples! Now THAT is a Delish Dish!
-
I go to dinner and this is what happens?
Look, you pedant, you can yell at me about my spelling, or you can yell at Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=carbonera&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official).
Did you mean: carbonara
-
Q, you can call your dish whatever you want. Now you all play nice, because it would be tragic to have to lock a thread where we got to learn about lard frybread sandwiches. Now that's education.
Speaking of, that definitely wins. Even if some of the other dishes have more fat or calories or whatever, it wins because, you know, it's a lard sandwich.
-
Did you mean: carbonara
You shut your fuck*ng mouth and you NEVER OPEN IT AGAIN!
Awww baby.. I'm just kidding.. you know I love it when you correct me, even if I'm not talking to you on channel right now.
not talking to you on purpose!
(This post has been brought to you by unnecessary melodrama... and ACTING!)
-
Okay, to atone for my ideology rant, I bring you news of Guthrie's.
Guthrie's is a chain of restaurants that started in Alabama, but I believe has spread to a few other SEC college towns as well. They are famous for their sauce, which is mayonnaise-based but is orange and includes pepper and spices.
Here is their menu. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/misc/guthries2.jpg)
Yep, that's it. Fried chicken fingers and sauce and butter-drenched bread. Southern ingenuity at it's best!
-
Okay, to atone for my ideology rant, I bring you news of Guthrie's.
Guthrie's is a chain of restaurants that started in Alabama, but I believe has spread to a few other SEC college towns as well. They are famous for their sauce, which is mayonnaise-based but is orange and includes pepper and spices.
Here is their menu. (http://www.intemporality.com/images/misc/guthries2.jpg)
Yep, that's it. Fried chicken fingers and sauce and butter-drenched bread. Southern ingenuity at it's best!
Two questions:
1) How the heck does the sauce work? and
2) Is it bad that now I'm terribly, terribly hungry?
-
I go to dinner and this is what happens?
Look, you pedant, you can yell at me about my spelling, or you can yell at Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=carbonera&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official).
Actually I'm not sure, I was under the impression both were acceptible.. I may be wrong about that.. I am not classically trained here or anything; I just make shit up in the kitchen based on stuff I have seen before. It is half-assed science!
And I don't want to call it Bobby Jones anymore, I mean if I'm gonna make something I'd rather make Camille "Sensua" Assy-Nipples! Now THAT is a Delish Dish!
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Dignity. I'm givin' you a tiny can of Dr Pepper for playing well with others.
-
Grossness update: BK now offers their chicken fries in a box of 36. They come in a big cardboard box like Munchkins but with a football design. This is too awful to contemplate. Who would bring these to a game? Even the guy who brought a 6 of Coors Light would be making fun of you.
-
Seems to me that, unlike munchkins, chicken fries would be gross(er) if they weren't hot.
-
Two questions:
1) How the heck does the sauce work? and
2) Is it bad that now I'm terribly, terribly hungry?
1) With the plates/boxes/buckets it comes in little cups, which you dunk your chicken fingers and french fries in. On the sandwich it is squirted on top of the chicken fingers before lettuce and the top of the bun is applied. I can provide pictures later.
2) No. I pretty much have to get this for lunch today now.
Later: an exploration of Milo's Hamburgers and their attendant Milo's Famous Sweet Tea. Maybe.
-
Seems to me that, unlike munchkins, chicken fries would be gross(er) if they weren't hot.
See, the only Munchkins I know of are the ones from Oz, so... really, I don't tend to think of Munchkins as hot, nor do I want them to be hot. I could post a link to some horrible midget porn if I was so inclined to go looking for it, but I will not. Also, the image of Munchkins crammed into a box of some sort for transport is also as inappropriately funny image to me. For some reason, in my brain, there are Ommpha-Loompahs there too, in the box. Also, the immature part of me wants to make a joke about any sort of fingers in a box.
-
Also, the immature part of me wants to make a joke about any sort of fingers in a box.
Don't let us hold you back.
-
See, the only Munchkins I know of are the ones from Oz, so... really, I don't tend to think of Munchkins as hot, nor do I want them to be hot. I could post a link to some horrible midget porn if I was so inclined to go looking for it, but I will not. Also, the image of Munchkins crammed into a box of some sort for transport is also as inappropriately funny image to me. For some reason, in my brain, there are Ommpha-Loompahs there too, in the box. Also, the immature part of me wants to make a joke about any sort of fingers in a box.
Munchkins are a brand name for donut-holes, little nuggets of donut dough that are deep-fried without the signature toroidal shape. Their small size gives them a higher relative surface area and therefore crust-to-crumb ratio than a solid lump at full donut size would have, so the general flavor and texture of a donut is preserved.
-
1) With the plates/boxes/buckets it comes in little cups, which you dunk your chicken fingers and french fries in. On the sandwich it is squirted on top of the chicken fingers before lettuce and the top of the bun is applied. I can provide pictures later.
I meant in the sense of "how exactly does a mayonnaise-based sauce become orange? Is there a spice that does it?" I'm picturing a saffron-based dip, see... but yeah, I was aware of the physics of dippin' sauce. Thanks for the refresher, though.
-
Orange with bits of stuff in it? I just sounds like Thousand Island dressing to me. And Saffron is a very expensive flavoring agent, so all though their fair sounds damn tasty, I doubt with a menu like the image we see that their gonna be using saffron.
-
Orange with bits of stuff in it? I just sounds like Thousand Island dressing to me. And Saffron is a very expensive flavoring agent, so all though their fair sounds damn tasty, I doubt with a menu like the image we see that their gonna be using saffron.
Well, yes, that's why I don't think saffron is actually the flavoring agent. It was just the first thing that came to mind, is all.
-
OK, people, I finally went to Chick-fil-A, and, in the context of a thread with frybread lard sandwiches in it, I was disappointed. It wasn't greasy.
However, I noted that they are open for breakfast and that they have.... biscuits and gravy. I really didn't need to know that there's a place five blocks away with biscuits and gravy. I hope they're really bad.
-
I'll stick with Taco Bell for the my drive-thru-related breakfast coronaries, thank you very much.
-
OK, people, I finally went to Chick-fil-A, and, in the context of a thread with frybread lard sandwiches in it, I was disappointed. It wasn't greasy.
However, I noted that they are open for breakfast and that they have.... biscuits and gravy. I really didn't need to know that there's a place five blocks away with biscuits and gravy. I hope they're really bad.
I somehow feel that I am to blame. Maybe I hyped it up too much. But I stand by Chick-fil-A. No, it's not greasy. It's less greasy than KFC, probably, but that's part of the appeal. Plus, best fast-food coleslaw I've ever had.
Also, I want to try one of these frybread lard sandwiches. Just once.
-
I think I could eventually see the value of fried chicken that isn't greasy. But I should have gone and satisfied the Popeye's craving first, to give it a fair try.
I keep meaning to say - somewhere the food writer Calvin Trillin, who will eat anything, says roughly that he thinks that Navaho frybread is the only food he ever came across that has no redeeming value whatsoever. From the description I think it's like the frybread we were discussing earlier, and I wonder if the problem is, he never had it with more lard on it.
-
When fried chicken is prepared properly it isn't greasy at all. But none of the major chains do it right. I 'was going to post a picture of Fried Chicken done right, but I've been in Houston only on the weekends for about a month now so I'm unable to do that. I'm a little off of my game, sorry.
But that's not what I came here to say. I just wanted to point out that we are a board of supposed food connoisseurs, yet this is about the 5th. time we've gone off the deep end veritably gushing over some of the lowest common denominator foods in the universe.
~Paul
-
But that's not what I came here to say. I just wanted to point out that we are a board of supposed food connoisseurs, yet this is about the 5th. time we've gone off the deep end veritably gushing over some of the lowest common denominator foods in the universe.
Well sure. Shouldn't a connoisseur know which are the best lowest common denominator foods?
-
Well sure. Shouldn't a connoisseur know which are the best lowest common denominator foods?
You make a very valid point, carry on.
~Paul
-
**WARNING: I do not recommend eating this. EVER.**
FRY BREAD:
4 c flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c warm water
1 c lard (oil) for frying
Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Add warm water.
Knead until dough is soft but not sticky. (add more warm water if needed)
Cover bowl and let stand about 15 minutes.
Pull off pieces of dough and pat into round shapes about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.
Make a small hole in the center of each round.
Melt lard in a heavy frying pan.
One at a time brown each round (on both sides) in the hot fat.
For a frybread lard sandwich, let the fry bread cool compleatly, then slice in half, cut a fairly thick slice of lard, place in the middle and eat.
-
I make mine with warm milk instead of water, and don't use lard (shortening or canola oil, usually), but yeah, that sound about right. I just made some last week to go with the batch of chili my gf made for dinner.
I try to limit myself to making fry bread no more than 1-2 times a year, but it doesn't always work.
I'm not going to try it with lard, though.
Not yet, anyway.
-
I pride myself on being willing to try eating anything once. I feel strongly that the sweet, fat flesh of the pig is one of the planet's great gifts to humanity. And I strongly suspect that we will one day arrive at that future predicted by Woody Allen where steak is a health food.
But, still, at the phrase 'a fairly thick slice of lard' I tremble with fear.
-
What qualifies as a "fairly thick" slice of lard? Can you, God forbid, use a thinner slice of lard for a "health-conscious" frybread-lard sandwich?!
I'm starting to feel queasy. I'm not sure whether it's my cold or the thought of this sandwich.
-
I have a bunch of duckfat llaying around. I think I might try this with nice, flavorful duckfat.
Also, why do you make a small hole in the center? And doesn't the lard makes it's way out of the sandwich through the hole?
-
The hole ensures cripyness though out.
Also, fiairly thick = 1/4 ince or more.
I know it's gross and am so drunk that I must stress that I do not recommend the application.
-
Posting while you're that hammered = one tiny can of Dr. Pepper
-
Okay, I know that incidents from "The Simpsons" do not qualify as reality, but Homer's Patented Space-Age Out-of-this-World Moon Waffle (http://www.recipezaar.com/8792) deserves mention. I mean, it's wrapped around an entire stick of butter. And it contains liquid smoke (http://www.honestfoods.com/liquidsmoke.html)!
-
Hobot - I remember watching that episode and thinking that there were so many non-waffle related ingredients that it really wasn't a waffle at all. Thank you for reminding me.
Also, Limmo, I was so intoxicated last night that I only remembered that I came home and went on the internet, and just realized now that I posted something... But looking back, I seem to recall posting somewhere else on the board too, and really, really struggling to type... oh god, what else did I post!?
-
Hobot - I remember watching that episode and thinking that there were so many non-waffle related ingredients that it really wasn't a waffle at all. Thank you for reminding me.
Also, Limmo, I was so intoxicated last night that I only remembered that I came home and went on the internet, and just realized now that I posted something... But looking back, I seem to recall posting somewhere else on the board too, and really, really struggling to type... oh god, what else did I post!?
At your service Ma'am. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2399.msg52450.html#msg52450)
Not so bad as you can see, good thing you weren't on chat huh? :P
-
Posting while you're that hammered = one tiny can of Dr. Pepper
Man, if this formula applied to me I would be at well over 100 tiny cans.
-
At your service Ma'am. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2399.msg52450.html#msg52450)
Not so bad as you can see, good thing you weren't on chat huh? :P
Indeed.
Also the food at the party was wacky! Potluck food is so fascinating. There was sushi and chili sitting side by side. Insanely expensive chevre sitting next to Doritos. It was like the lion laying down with the lamb. Also, because the party was in part a fairwell to a co-worker who taught a teen self esteem class for tweens that deconstructed Barbie and other girl phenomenon, I bought a Barbie doll and buried her in the middle of a plate of brownies. It was a deeply gratifying experience to bury Barbie in brownies.
I was also told of several foods that appeared that I apparently totally missed even though I was there all night. My SO tells me there were meat balls in a sauce that disturbed him.
Also, I threw up so much from all the booze that I have broken capillaries around both my eyes to the point where it looks like someone punched me. At least I only puked at home, not a work - I have some dignity. I'm still dehydrated today, so I'll be drinking as much water as I can.
Also, apparently someone gave me flowers, though I don't remember who, and I didn't put them in water, so I came in to the office today to find a half dead flower on my desk.
-
I did that once, the violent vomitting. I just told everyone I was turning into a zombie very slowly. Seriously, it looked that bad.
-
That happened to a friend of mine once - he vomited so much he had two black eyes.
See, people forget that alcohol is really a deadly poison (no sarcasm or exaggeration here) and that we're really not supposed to put it into our bodies. But your body has a built-in mechanism for dealing with such things. You may have vomited until it looks like your SO is abusing you, but really you are still alive now DUE TO VOMIT.
-
Yes, there are only certain times in my life where I can look back and say, "Gee, I sure am glad I vomited!" and this weekend would be one of those. I mean, I hadn't eaten all day, and just barely grazed the food offerings, so really, I killed myself, just a little bit. I'm going to give my liver a little rest. My SO has a big office party, at a dinner theatre, this Saturday that I have to go to. It's hard not to drink when watching actors with little dignity and eating pre-thawed entrees, but I'll do my best.
-
Melanie, is there a problem that's bothering you? Something that has caused you to abuse your yourself with alcohol? Perhaps something simmering below the surface, something your friends at TOUAMB can help you resolve? We are here for you Melanie.
~Paul
-
One of my friend's roomates, well...they make pot cookies, right? He ate a pot cookie, and got high. He was hungry. So he ate seven more pot cookies.
He threw up into a trash can and fell asleep for 48 hours. His vomit burned through the bin-liner.
-
Melanie, is there a problem that's bothering you? Something that has caused you to abuse your yourself with alcohol? Perhaps something simmering below the surface, something your friends at TOUAMB can help you resolve? We are here for you Melanie.
~Paul
See, I read this as though it were dripping with sarcasm and laugh, but then I don't tend to think of Paul as all that sarcastic. No big problems except the usual issues with my mother. It's basically just a beautiful life and lots of friends and friendly co-workers like to ply me with booze.
-
One of my friend's roomates, well...they make pot cookies, right? He ate a pot cookie, and got high. He was hungry. So he ate seven more pot cookies.
He threw up into a trash can and fell asleep for 48 hours. His vomit burned through the bin-liner.
See, this is the kind of thing they should be telling schoolchildren as anti-drug propaganda. No more cartoons about the Ninja Turtles urging one not to experiment with marijuana -- no, one use of "his vomit burned through the bin liner" and an entire generation of schoolchildren will be clean and sober. Education!
-
See, this is the kind of thing they should be telling schoolchildren as anti-drug propaganda. No more cartoons about the Ninja Turtles urging one not to experiment with marijuana -- no, one use of "his vomit burned through the bin liner" and an entire generation of schoolchildren will be clean and sober. Education!
Maybe it's evidence of how drugs have harmed my brain, but when I read the story, I first thought, "man, I have to get me some pot cookies!"
-
See, this is the kind of thing they should be telling schoolchildren as anti-drug propaganda. No more cartoons about the Ninja Turtles urging one not to experiment with marijuana -- no, one use of "his vomit burned through the bin liner" and an entire generation of schoolchildren will be clean and sober. Education!
My proposed anti-drug campaign is simply to show Keith Richards and David Crosby standing together. "Heroin. Cocaine. Any questions?"
-
I can be terribly sarcastic, but that was written in complete sincerity.
~Paul
-
awww. I thought so. You're sweet. A tiny can for you! - No, I'm indeed a very happy camper these days, but thanks for being kind.
-
My proposed anti-drug campaign is simply to show Keith Richards and David Crosby standing together. "Heroin. Cocaine. Any questions?"
OMG. You would show that to children?
-
OMG. You would show that to children?
It's like the old Grimm fairy tales. Education through abject terror.
-
David Crosby: Somewhere between Santa Claus and a lovable troll.
Keith Richards: The f'in Bogeyman.