The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on April 10, 2007, 03:07:52 pm

Title: Guilty pleasures
Post by: linnea on April 10, 2007, 03:07:52 pm
When I was in college, there was some kind of email survey that went around that asked what song you were embarrassed to like. I fully expect my little sister (who just turned 25 so maybe I have to call her my younger sister) to still give me shit about it. I have no idea why I liked the cheesy '80s rock ballad "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" or why I put it on the list, but there you go.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about other stuff (i.e., guilty pleasures) and I was curious to see if it would make a decent thread.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Gimpson on April 10, 2007, 03:37:45 pm
Until last night I would have said Michael MacDonald, but after watching (fast-forwarding through, actually) him on Austin City Limits last night I think I realize that it's only a relatively few Doobie Brothers songs that I like. 

The music of America and Toto, nerd rap (I've seen mc chris three times and MC Frontalot twice), and ABBA.  Early in our relationship my fiancee came home to find me sitting on the couch drinking wine and listening to her Best of ABBA CD.  I would not have blamed her if she chose that moment to bail out. 

Also, Adam Sandler movies and Convenience Store Food.  (The Quik Trip Taquito is awesome.)
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2007, 03:48:20 pm
Re:  Michael McDonald

He started on a very high note (pun) and has been on a downward trajectory ever since.  He sings on some of my most favorite songs ever (Steely Dan) although as a backup singer.  He went on to sing for Doobie Brothers and they had some good tunes, but most of their best songs were from before he joined thsm.  Then he went solo and it's much the same as the Doobies, but even less.  The last thing I heard from him was him reworking old Mowtown hits.  It is embarrasing and hard to listen to.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: chuanoplast on April 10, 2007, 04:27:28 pm
Linnea, I know what you mean about the trashy gossip mags. My friend buys them to read secretly, and I end up reading them too. There must be some sort of magnet in those things. Though I usually end up cutting out heads and body parts and taping them together to make creepy critters. Finger-arms David Bowie is still lurking about somewhere, waiting to kill somebody with Gwen Stefani's boobs.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 10, 2007, 08:18:13 pm
I always read People and Seventeen in the orthodontist's office back in the day. In moderation, they're decent brain candy.

My major guilty pleasures (and I'm not even that guilty about them, truth be told, but they're still kinda embarrassing) are Dungeons & Dragons and the Bravo reality-game shows. I have watched all of the last two seasons of Project Runway and this season of Top Design, and I will watch Shear Genius. I'm not proud.

Also, I still like TMBG, which I'm led to understand is a hanging crime in some nerd circles.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2007, 09:34:44 pm
um. The fact that I played D&D the other day and kind of enjoyed it.

I mostly enjoyed it through hiply posing and making metacommentary, though.

also, a variety of 90's pop music. I can't think of any examples.

Lately, I enjoy mainstream hip-hop. Getting drunk and dancing to it helps a lot when trying to appreciate this stuff.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Gimpson on April 10, 2007, 10:07:52 pm
Also, I still like TMBG, which I'm led to understand is a hanging crime in some nerd circles.

Wait, I didn't get the memo.  What?
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 10, 2007, 10:10:23 pm
I don't really have any guilty pleasures, everything I do is rock and roll.

However, there are some things I haven't been able to understand that bug me, like most jazz, etc.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2007, 10:12:38 pm
I can't think of any guilty pleasures.  I feel like this might mean something is wrong with my life. Or is it just that I am not easily embarrassed?
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Drygioni on April 10, 2007, 10:31:09 pm
TOUAMB, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2007, 11:17:27 pm
All of my pleasures are guilty pleasures.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 10, 2007, 11:28:10 pm
Wait, Billy Bragg.  He isn't cool, is he?
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 10, 2007, 11:30:19 pm
Wait, I didn't get the memo.  What?

I have been led to understand that -- in some circles, at least -- liking TMBG and their new albums now that they have a full band, do soundtrack music, have "sold out," &c., is terminally gauche. My guilty pleasure might be that I actually like the later-album, full-band sound better than the early stuff; there are several standout songs from the Then period, but man, a lot of it was just weird gibberish.

Also on the musical front, I think that R.E.M.'s Up was a fine album, that Reveal had several excellent songs, and that Around the Sun might be good with some creative reshuffling.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: linnea on April 11, 2007, 01:31:02 am
Wait, Billy Bragg.  He isn't cool, is he?

Billy Bragg is hella cool.

**EDIT: whoa, I totally thought that he sang on Jason Molina's "The Old Black Hen", but it turns out that it's Lawrence Peters singing on that track! Crazy. I need to listen to more Billy Bragg, since all I have is Mermaid Avenue.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Golfhaus on April 11, 2007, 01:49:10 am
Currently, my guilty pleasure is Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart."
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: kellichou on April 11, 2007, 02:03:04 am
I have no idea why I liked the cheesy '80s rock ballad "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" or why I put it on the list, but there you go.

OMG, Wombie BRAAAAIN LINK!  I fracking love that song too, 'cept I can't explain WHY!  Augh!!!

Other guilty pleasures:

Dr. Who.  Battlestar Galactica.  Firefly.  Cosmopolitan magazine.  Chartreuse liqueur.  vermilion nail polish (I know it probably looks trampy, but I like it, okay?).  smoking.

Schadenfreude (sp?) when you find out someone you used to work with is making an ass of him/herself in public, acting all shameless and idiotic at expense to his/her own reputation, and you just wanna point your finger and laugh, Nelson-style.  "Ha, ha!"  I wish I could be more specific, but the internets are not exactly anonymous, and the last thing I want to do is get more specific.

Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: side_show on April 11, 2007, 02:22:37 am
TOUAMB is my guilty pleasure.  One time in passing conversation the SO mentioned to someone how I was talking to someone "on your message board" and I shoot him hella evil looks, and explained later that he shouldn't just tell random people.  Some people actually think I'm cool. 

Also, "Best of" albums.

Also, watching America's Next Top Model then dishing about it with my bestfriend. (Please don't tell the other feminists I watch this -they'll come take away my card!)
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 11, 2007, 02:31:29 am
and the Bravo reality-game shows. I have watched all of the last two seasons of Project Runway and this season of Top Design, and I will watch Shear Genius. I'm not proud.

I'm not. Project Runway is pretty much my favorite show. Ever. I am guilty, though, of watching Blow Dry and Workout, which are two of the worst/best shows pretty much ever. Along with America's Next Top Model, which I LOVE.

I'll echo someone in saying that TOUAMB is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I'm not especially ashamed of Achewood and y'all are especially intelligent, literate fans, but it's just the height of nerdery. I'm getting together with people I don't know to discuss cat c*ckes and other things on the internet. It's more that I'm active about it - but it's fitting, all my friends know that I'm a know-it-all and can't read people's conversations without getting my two cents in.

Going to Widespread Panic and other such hippie/redneck shows are kind of a guilty pleasure too. I always have a blast, but I'm not that into the bands, so I feel weird when people ask me "where were you this weekend?" and I have to say "In North Carolina seeing Widespread Panic with Jason." It also makes me feel like a bad feminist because I'm basically going to these shows because of my boyfriend.

Being a feminist sometimes makes everything fun into a guilty pleasure.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Doc on April 11, 2007, 03:29:54 am
Meatloaf I guess, but I'm not that guilty about it, still not something I'll bring up often in conversation.

Dr. Who.  Battlestar Galactica.  Firefly.  Cosmopolitan magazine.  Chartreuse liqueur.  vermilion nail polish smoking.

Except for the cosmo and the smoking I wouldn't feel so guilty, and at least the smoking means you are cool.

EDIT: I did mean Meatloaf the artist/thespian there. Not the food, I derive neither pleasure nor guild from meatloaf as a dish most of the time anyway.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 11, 2007, 03:33:20 am
I'm not. Project Runway is pretty much my favorite show. Ever. I am guilty, though, of watching Blow Dry and Workout, which are two of the worst/best shows pretty much ever. Along with America's Next Top Model, which I LOVE.

Oh, man, America's Next Top Model! That and Project Runway were the guilty-pleasure shows of my class in college -- excellent distraction from theses and grad-school apps one night a week, and fun to watch communally. I've kind of dropped ANTM after graduation, though, since it isn't the same without the same people. Maybe I should pick it up.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: AugustWest on April 11, 2007, 04:09:19 am
Masturbation.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: linnea on April 11, 2007, 04:39:53 am
OMG, Wombie BRAAAAIN LINK!  I fracking love that song too, 'cept I can't explain WHY!  Augh!!!

Other guilty pleasures:

Dr. Who.  Battlestar Galactica.  Firefly.  Cosmopolitan magazine.  Chartreuse liqueur.  vermilion nail polish (I know it probably looks trampy, but I like it, okay?).  smoking.

Schadenfreude (sp?) when you find out someone you used to work with is making an ass of him/herself in public, acting all shameless and idiotic at expense to his/her own reputation, and you just wanna point your finger and laugh, Nelson-style.  "Ha, ha!"  I wish I could be more specific, but the internets are not exactly anonymous, and the last thing I want to do is get more specific.



Heh heh. YAY!!! Wombie brain liiiink! All the singletons (aka non-twins) can be jealous and wonder what it's like to have a badass twin like kellichou.

One of our favorite things to do in the summertime when I visit is to have a Bad Wombie Cigarette. I still have some packs of Nat Shermans that I bought in the summer of '04 before I moved up here. They're in ziplock bags and I bring them with me on vacation. There are few things better than chilling with the person in the world who understands you the best, having a tasty fancy-ass smoke, and drinking delicious beer. Rawk.

Our younger sister is hella awesome too, but she really frowns on the smoking, so we don't smoke around her.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2007, 05:20:59 am
At the Drive-In.

That's all I can think of, right now. I guess just emo-ish stuff in general, what little of it I like.

Also: I am trying really hard to avoid smoking, as it would become my guilty pleasure so fast.
It doesn't help that a lot of my friends smoke randomly at parties, and at no other time. But I know I have a really obsessive/addictive personality... so it would be a bad idea.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Doc on April 11, 2007, 09:12:37 am
Masturbation.
Seconded
But again, not that guilty.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: jough on April 11, 2007, 01:07:13 pm
I never feel guilty about any of my pleasures.

Seriously, kids.  Do not be embarrassed about liking something.  What "guilt" is there?  You're just embarrassed that you like something that you think that other people will think badly of you for liking.

Here's a hint, though: if you like it, there's a good chance that someone out there likes it too.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2007, 01:17:06 pm
Farscape, Stargate, Married...with Children. Listen to music that I know is bad (FenixTX, Wheatus, most Offspring) but in small enough amounts to keep it off of my Last.fm charts. Spot-fest wrestling.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Limmo on April 11, 2007, 04:28:11 pm
I never feel guilty about any of my pleasures...What "guilt" is there?  You're just embarrassed that you like something that you think that other people will think badly of you for liking.

Hell, I think badly of other people for not liking what I like.  They must be stupid, and their opinions can safely be disregarded.

This particularly applies when they don't like Judas Priest.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: ImpyChick on April 11, 2007, 04:59:49 pm
I still have some packs of Nat Shermans that I bought in the summer of '04 before I moved up here.

OK, I'm coming out of lurk mode momentarily :).  I used to smoke these sometimes while @ Bethany.  I forgot ALLL about these!  They were quite yummy, & I loved smoking them in the winter.  They were also a great conversation starter at the rinky dink gay bar I used to go to in Salina, lol.  Ahhh, memories!

Oh...my guilty pleasure...As the World Turns.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: jaydub on April 11, 2007, 05:45:06 pm
This particularly applies when they don't like Judas Priest.

Hear, hear.

(Hearin' Aid)
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2007, 06:56:35 pm
Smoking isn't a guilty pleasure, it's a disgusting pleasure.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 11, 2007, 09:00:41 pm
Wheatus

I should... uh, entirely legitimately acquire an MP3 of "Teenage Dirtbag" sometimes. That song was gold, in its way.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 11, 2007, 09:12:11 pm
Whats the meaning of life?

I just want to smoke it.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2007, 09:58:57 pm
Roman Soldier 1:  Do you think the Empire will fall?

Roman Soldier 2:  Fuck it.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2007, 10:13:22 pm
I should... uh, entirely legitimately acquire an MP3 of "Teenage Dirtbag" sometimes. That song was gold, in its way.

For about a year I thought the singer was a woman. This left me with a very different interpretation of the song.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Teatime on April 11, 2007, 10:17:25 pm
Blink-182. It sounds like fifth grade all over again.

Hooking up. Half the reason I do it is the ego boost of being found attractive.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 11, 2007, 10:28:35 pm
For about a year I thought the singer was a woman. This left me with a very different interpretation of the song.

Truth be told, this was exactly my original interpretation too. I always thought it was because I first heard the song at 6 AM on my alarm-clock radio, but maybe it wasn't just muzzyheadedness.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2007, 11:11:48 pm
Blink-182. It sounds like fifth grade all over again.

I still like Adam's Song. I also died a little inside when I had to explain the lyric "never conquered, rarely came" to my parents.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2007, 12:57:03 am
my friend karl, at age 11, had to explain to his mom that the song "Shake your Booty" was not about shaking one's foot.

He is still not sure whether she seriously believed this. He says she seemed pretty sincere, though.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Golfhaus on April 12, 2007, 01:33:50 am
my friend karl, at age 11, had to explain to his mom that the song "Shake your Booty" was not about shaking one's foot.

He is still not sure whether she seriously believed this. He says she seemed pretty sincere, though.

My mother overheard my sister, my wife, and I having a conversation, in which one of us uttered the phrase, "the four-letter word that starts with C." Mom thought it out, and said, "Why are you trying to protect me from hearing you say 'crap'?"

She still has no clue what other profanity, four letters long and starting with C, exists. I imagine her sitting at work, filling out a crossword puzzle that's all black, save for four white squares in the middle. The C is pre-filled. "Across. 1. A profanity your adult children don't want to say in front of you."
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 12, 2007, 01:53:00 am
my friend karl, at age 11, had to explain to his mom that the song "Shake your Booty" was not about shaking one's foot.

He is still not sure whether she seriously believed this. He says she seemed pretty sincere, though.

See, for some reason this only happens to me in reverse. I distinctly recall the morning that, while driving to school, "Brick" came on the radio and my mother decided to explain that she'd Suddenly Realized The Meaning Of The Song. I kind of started doing that "uh, yeah, Mom, I get it too" stammer, because if there's one thing I didn't want to do that morning, it was have a conversation about Ben Folds's girlfriend getting an abortion.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2007, 02:13:04 am
my mom asked me if The White Stripes was a cocaine reference, and I had no idea.

...is it? I don't think it is.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Doc on April 12, 2007, 07:13:55 am
Oh man, blink. I can still remember listening to damnit on a friends portable cd player during a school bus trip to some godforesaken hell hole.

There's all this music from about the year 2000 (e.g. Aqua) that my brother loved and I hated but now when I listen to it it doesn't seem so bad. It also makes me nostalgic for the games I was playing back then (generally these were what his music was distracting me from).

Nostalgia sure ain't what it used to be.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: kellichou on April 12, 2007, 05:24:26 pm
Smoking isn't a guilty pleasure, it's a disgusting pleasure.

A disgusting, delicious pleasure.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Teatime on April 12, 2007, 10:53:30 pm
my mom asked me if The White Stripes was a cocaine reference, and I had no idea.

...is it? I don't think it is.

According to the band members, it's a reference to peppermint candies. Meg's drums and their first disc would back this up.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2007, 11:57:39 pm
yeah, that's what I said.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: linnea on April 13, 2007, 01:54:20 am
A disgusting, delicious pleasure.

Hells and damn yes. I want to light up a Black & Gold RIGHT NOW.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: robot_god on April 13, 2007, 02:07:50 am
I haven't partook in quite some time, but I'd say a guilty pleasure of mine is foosball.  It is alot of fun to dominate people in foosball, especially since many dudes are very arrogant about their foosball skill.

Chilled with an old bud awhile ago that I didn't see for awhile and the topic came up.  He got mad haughty, sayin, "Foosball!?  I'll beat ya ass!  I'm da best!  I'm good!  Etc!"  So we went back to my table and I basically shut him out with one hand.  This has happened many times.  I had my own tables for awhile, but they get busted: last one got demolished by two dudes fightin'.  I haven't played seriously in a little over two years.

Last time I played was on my road trip in Boston.  I almost litterally shut out the entire bar (while wearing a Yanks hat).  Won hella beers.

Kinda hypocritical to call out arrogant foosball players and then start braggin', but that's how the foosball lifestyle is lived and I back it up.  I'll beat ya ass.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Alternate on April 13, 2007, 09:04:50 am
TOUAMB, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

I love that song so much.  It is so true. 

Touamb was a guilty pleasure for me when I was lurking.  I was tempted to join, but I thought, "No Alternate, only losers join online message boards to discuss webcomics.  Losers who get made fun of."  Then I lurked for like six months.  And then I thought, "Okay, only even bigger losers lurk on such message boards.  I guess now I have nowhere to go but up." 

My guitiest guilty pleasures, though: 

1) That Britney Spears song, "Hit me baby, one more time."  In my defense I thought it was about S&M at the time. 

2) That syrupier than syrup song from the nineties that goes like, "I wanna stand with you on a mountain, I wanna bathe with you in the sea..."  When I think about that song now I kind of feel nauseated like I just ate a huge bag of candy, but when I was a lovesick teenager I enjoyed things like eating huge bags of candy, and listening to that song. 

3) Emo in general. 

4) The fact that I actually don't really feel guilty for loving emo.  1) and 2) are songs that got lucky, bad songs that found me at a vulnerable moment and slipped into my consciousness.  When I have them stuck in my head I am afraid that telepathic people will check me out, and then be repulsed when they hear my internal soundtrack of the moment.  I want to call out to them, "I'm not really like this, telepathic people! This is just a fluke! Give me another chance!"  But if they caught me with an emo song in my head, I could offer no such excuse.  "It's no mistake," I would have to say. "I have intentionally and joyfully listened to entire emo albums on numerous occasions.  I know all the words to this song, and have sung it loudly in the shower after being dumped.  And if you can't deal with that, telepathic people, then maybe we just shouldn't be friends.  There, I said it." 

P.S.:  I don't actually think that message board people are losers.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2007, 09:20:41 am
2) That syrupier than syrup song from the nineties that goes like, "I wanna stand with you on a mountain, I wanna bathe with you in the sea..."  When I think about that song now I kind of feel nauseated like I just ate a huge bag of candy, but when I was a lovesick teenager I enjoyed things like eating huge bags of candy, and listening to that song. 

Those dudes come from the same town (we call it a city but you'd say town) as me. The worst part is a new all female group just released a cover and it's worse.
So Much Worse.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2007, 07:34:01 pm
I think you can put "all syrupy love songs that you adored unironically as a teenager" on that list. Like... I know, academically, that Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" is a hideous monstrosity of pseudomusic, but I had my first slow dance to it, so on some level I will always love it. Also, the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris," although I'm prepared to argue that that song is legitimately okay.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 13, 2007, 08:21:30 pm
I am not trying to sound "better than you" when I say that I have never really enjoyed syrupy love songs. At least, not that I can remember. Things like that make me feel really uncomfortable, normally.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 13, 2007, 08:47:52 pm
Yeah, I pretty much hated all music until I was like 14 and found Bob Dylan.  Up until then I had no need for it.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2007, 09:20:51 pm
I am guilty, but i've never been convicted. 

If loving Captain and Tennile is wrong, I don't want to be right.

They'll not take me alive.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Alternate on April 14, 2007, 04:12:50 am
I don't really like what I consider syrupy love songs anymore.  I like a lot of dramatic love songs, but there has to be some specificity to their poetry.  The "stand with you on a mountain song," when I hear it now, sounds like a guy talking to a girl whose head is a box with a question mark, and just saying to her, "I love you so much!  I love you ten times!  I love you a hundred times!  I love you a thousand times!" and so on.  One of my all time favorite songs, on the other hand, is "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands," by Bob Dylan.  It's five verses of dense, intricate description of a woman.  The description is vivid and haunting, abstract but never general.  And it doesn't really give you a picture of who this woman actually is (although some have made guesses), but it makes it very clear that he knows who she is, that she isn't an archetype, that she has a face.  Another favorite love song of mine is "Chelsea Hotel No.2" by Leonard Cohen.  There are no broad declarations in this song, only a pure, unvarnished recount of what was said, what was done in that room with the unmade bed.  How she got away, didn't she, and how he doesn't think of her that often anymore.  It's the truth, and the truth is in the details of her loud voice, the limousines in the street, the way she clenched her fist and what she said as she clenched her fist. 

And even though I loved both those songs in high school, I think the syrupy, generic top forty songs might have more accurately described my understanding of what love was, at the time.  Now, not so much.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Lister on April 14, 2007, 07:01:16 am
I have a wide range of guilty pleasure singers/bands.  These are what I could come up with:

The Bangles
Chumbawamba
Dinah Shore
Fatboy Slim
The Four Lads
Perry Como
Robert Palmer
Smash Mouth
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Technotronic

Anything on the Ghostbutsters II soundtrack

I don't know why they hit that feel happy chord with me, but I ain't apologizing.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 14, 2007, 07:22:21 am
squirrel nut zippers are from Chapel Hill... and their first album was called "The Inevitable". Huh.

The Cardigans-- Love Fool. So good.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 14, 2007, 07:25:00 am
One time I got really drunk, heard Chumbawamba on the radio and bought the CD.  I am pretty sure I threw it away a couple days later.  I was 16 or 17, so this was a while ago.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 14, 2007, 07:38:16 am
my sig reminds me:

my guilty pleasure is probably really pretentious art. especially like, concept art shit. I love that stuff so much.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: linnea on April 14, 2007, 09:13:41 am
More guilty pleasures of mine:

Reading Dan Savage's crazy sex-advice column, "Savage Love"

I really, really wish I could take naps at work. Even having this thought makes me feel guilty, but it would be sheer luxury to be able to do it. Mmm, nap.

I hoard stupid stuff that I'll never use, and I even brought a few boxes of it with me to Alaska. Thank God the rest of it is still in storage in Colorado. I forced myself to spend last weekend cleaning out closets and drawers and just ruthlessly threw shit away. I just took 4 huge trash bags of shit to the landfill, and boxed up another 2 bags of useful stuff to donate to the church.

I have to box up all the contraband that I don't want the housesitter to see and hide it in order to keep up appearances. Also to prevent her from drinking all my Good Scotch.

I read rotten.com occasionally, it's like a trainwreck. Can't tear my eyes away.

I throw away greeting cards that I receive, usually at the effing post office after I read them in order to avoid taking them home to add to the clutter, even though I have the nagging feeling that I should keep them for a scrapbook or something. I have not enough creativity to make a scrapbook, although my awesome younger sister has made several that I really love.

Sometimes when Lenny is yelling (meowing REALLY LOUDLY) in the middle of the night I tell him to shut up. This is not something I am proud of.

There are times that I relish feeling vengeful and imagining terrible things happening to total assholes. Mmm, wrath.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: wombat on April 14, 2007, 01:40:50 pm
I have a wide range of guilty pleasure singers/bands.  These are what I could come up with:

The Bangles


Oh, yeah. I am such a sucker for girls singing harmony like that.

I don't feel the least bit guilty for reading Savage Love, though. It's education.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: theinevitable on April 14, 2007, 07:41:34 pm
I was big on Savage Love until she told a dying woman to cheat on her husband-- he'd never know the difference. The reason the woman wanted to cheat is that apparently her husband was only mediocre in bed, and her ex-boyfriend was in town who was awesome. If I recall correctly, there was also some question of her pretending she was going somewhere for disease treatment when she was actually going to go fuck this guy.

That made me so mad/sick to my stomach that I just couldn't handle Mr Savage anymore. That, by itself, made me hate humanity a pretty good bit.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Doc on April 15, 2007, 02:30:20 am
Sometimes when Lenny is yelling (meowing REALLY LOUDLY) in the middle of the night I tell him to shut up. This is not something I am proud of.


Dude, your cats own you.
I would never feel guilty about telling my cat to shut up when I'm trying to sleep.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Golfhaus on April 16, 2007, 03:08:08 am
Also, the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris," although I'm prepared to argue that that song is legitimately okay.

I was okay with that song until practically every teenage girl with a journal/blog/subdomain*/whatever had quotes from that song as either the title, the subtitle, the </title>, or the motto of their little corner of the web. Seriously, one day when I was bored in the computer labs at college, I started counting. Just picked one, and followed the links page. When I got to 40 after an hour, I stopped.

* Remember the pre-Livejournal days, when getting a web site meant begging someone whose parents bought them a domain name to give you a subdomain? I paid for mine, and not a day later, the requests for "Plz give meeee a subdomain!!!!11111!!!!" started.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: linnea on April 16, 2007, 05:32:16 am


Dude, your cats own you.
I would never feel guilty about telling my cat to shut up when I'm trying to sleep.

I cannot refute that statement. Sigh.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: AugustWest on April 16, 2007, 02:12:46 pm
I cannot refute that statement. Sigh.

KITTOWNED!!!
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on April 19, 2007, 03:37:54 am
I don't find liking nerdcore to be a guilty pleasure. I LOVE nerdcore. In fact I wish I had more of it. I need to get off my lazy butt and update my music collection with all the music I keep saying I like but never get around to acquiring. :/

But I digress.

Hm... guilty pleasures... I guess I would have to agree with the people who have said that they don't believe in guilty pleasures. I am not ashamed of anything that I like/enjoy even though I'm sure a good portion of it is stuff that most people would think I should feel guilty about liking.

Although the idea surrounding the worry over telepathic people is an interesting one. I thought I was the only person who worried about telepathic people. Being a teacher, I have to model respect and honorable human behavior all the time; so quite often during the day I find myself thinking horrible thoughts that a teacher shouldn't be thinking, for instance, if a student is really struggling with a concept, on the outside I might be patiently re-explaining it, but on the inside I'm thinking, "What are you, stupid? What the hell is wrong with you? Idiot!" and immediately afterwards I feel profound remorse. And I look over my shoulder to see if anyone in the area has telepathic powers and might have picked up on my inappropriate thoughts.

Totally off-topic: I really missed this place. Haven't had time to do any real reading for several weeks. Good to see everyone again.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2007, 07:14:59 am
I really missed this place. Haven't had time to do any real reading for several weeks. Good to see everyone again.

Welcome back Moose.
Title: Re: Guilty pleasures
Post by: side_show on April 19, 2007, 01:13:52 pm
Don't worry Muse, this happens to me too.  I am screaming curses in my head at the kidlets sometimes, while the rational part of my brain knows they're trying their best, and I am saying things out load to encourage them.  I only feel guilty about it if I end up then actually transfering my impatience or frustration into actual treatment, which rarely happens.