The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on January 03, 2008, 09:05:58 pm
-
**SPOILER ALERT**
I can't believe that Nice Pete has let us down, and not done the killing thing to Rachael Ray. She who cannot spell her own name defeats even him. I fear for civilization.
-
I didn't know she was married. Did she drug him? Blackmail?
-
She can't spell her name?
-
She can't spell her name?
I think she means Rachael vs. Rachel
-
Oh. I think its a pretty standard spelling. Its sort of the same rules as Michael.
-
Actually it is vastly less common. And stupid.
I could actually give you some numbers, but I am going to back away from the computer now and pretend I have a life.
-
This and Philippe's blog were both awesome.
-
Actually it is vastly less common. And stupid.
I could actually give you some numbers, but I am going to back away from the computer now and pretend I have a life.
I've always preferred it, maybe because it matches up with the weird spelling of my middle name, Michael.
-
Wombat - as usual - has the power of truth behind her opinion:
(http://www.fotolode.com/images/jaydub/rachael.gif)
Or at least, the truth as known by the US Social Security Administration.
Her fervor has me thinking Rachel is her given name. ;)
-
I've always preferred it, maybe because it matches up with the weird spelling of my middle name, Michael.
We share the same spelling of the same middle name. I still feel weird spelling it. In my head it sounds like "mick-eye-l" like a yiddish person might say.
-
Damn, that was vivid. I am grateful that I've never seen Rachael's show, and therefore have no idea why Onstad hates her so bad.
This blog post's description of her husband made me cringe. Being married to her cookshow-empire-money must be like being trapped in a burning building by golden handcuffs.
-
Ooo, but I did not have the power of graphics. All I even considered doing was tossing out a couple of numbers from one decade. That is lovely, Mr Kangaroo Man.
That is not my name, by the way, I'm just very opinionated about names.
But back on topic:
Damn, that was vivid.
Yes. Nice Pete outdoes himself as a writer here, if not, sadly, as a murderer.
-
Oddly enough I've dated both a Rachael and a Rachel. Apparently one is the slavic way of spelling it and one is the hebrew. Or something like that. Any name that's in the bible is going to have weird multiple spellings, and nothing is really phonetic in latin characters, since the language our alphabet was made for shifted away from its original pronunciation over 2000 years ago. English should have about twenty something vowels.
Are there Michels out there though? That looks kinda weird. Like it should be pronounced "Mitchell" or "Michelle."
-
Are there Michels out there though? That looks kinda weird. Like it should be pronounced "Mitchell" or "Michelle."
Yes there are, and it's pronounced "Michelle", because they're French, or Québecois.
-
At one job I had a (really dumb, but nice) lady had a daughter and a son. The son's name was Michael, the daughter's Micheal. Alright, I don't remember exactly, but the girls name was the proper Micheal (thats right, right?) pronounced Michelle and the son's name was Michael pronounced Micheal or whatever.
It was a confusing time.
-
She has lots and lots of money and she was physically attractive because she started painting herself up like a whore.
He needs lots and lots of money to hire dominatrixes (dominatrii? dominatrices?) who will indulge him his disturbingly specific foot fetish.
It is simple math, people.
-
It's spelled S-M-I-T-H, but it's pronounced Jimnoffsky.
-
We share the same spelling of the same middle name. I still feel weird spelling it. In my head it sounds like "mick-eye-l" like a yiddish person might say.
Yeah, I am always bugged by writing my name in IPA, because it comes out as "daA-CAPl."
Apparently the El part in names like Michael and Daniel is where they got Kal-El from, though. Awesome.
-
Yeah, I am always bugged by writing my name in IPA, because it comes out as "daA-CAPl."
Apparently the El part in names like Michael and Daniel is where they got Kal-El from, though. Awesome.
The new filter claims its first victim.
-
The new filter claims its first victim.
Success
-
Yeah, I am always bugged by writing my name in IPA, because it comes out as "daA-CAPl."
Apparently the El part in names like Michael and Daniel is where they got Kal-El from, though. Awesome.
Yeah, the "El" in those names is referring to God. (Daniel = "Judged By God", Ariel = "Lion Of God", and so forth.) Since Superman is the product of a couple of Jewish kids, they went with that tradition when looking for names that have grandeur.
Rachel ain't got that one going for it, though. It's kind of hard to explain in Roman letters but that bit is written pretty differently. Sort of the best way to explain it might be that it's "ra - che - l" and Daniel is sort of "Da - ni - y - e - l". Sort of. Also it's a Germanic loogie-hocking "ch" and not a front-mouth-crunchy "ch". (These are totally not scientific linguistic terms.)
-
Oh man, I can totally correctly write my name in Arabic now. My professor would always say "just sound it out! Daniel is not an Arabic name, so however you spell it is fine" and that bugged me.
so is the e in "el" like a long ee sound, since Hebrew is consonantal? I always wrote Daniel like "DNYL." Which looks pretty damn boring in Arabic, it doesn't use any of the cool-looking or -sounding letters.
-
I am glad to see that the use of "Rachael" has actually gone DOWN since Ms. Ray took to the airwaves.
Here is a thing I wrote on my blog a couple years back:
Found something while playing around with the SSA's baby name-o-matic (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/), which shows the ranked popularity of names, and the number of American kids given that name in 2003. Through this tool, we can see that the girl's name "Paris" has jumped to #275, after hanging around in the 400-500 range for the previous 12 years.
Nothing wrong with "Paris" per se. But what's sad is that there are 500-odd little girls out there who are, essentially, named after Paris Hilton.
-
An interesting thing that I have noticed when I peruse the SS names site is that girls' names have always changed with fashion, but for decades the top ten boys' names stayed almost the same. But in the last couple of decades the most popular boys' names have started changing too. I feel like this must mean something really deep but I don't know what it is.
-
It means that we have graduated up from simply treating our girl children as ornamental larfs that can be named in a manner of humiliating fads to treating ALL our children, boy and girl, as ornamental larfs that can be named in a manner of humiliating fads.
Equality through de-evolution, y'all!
My dad wanted to name my brother and myself Agamemnon and Ajax... Mom talked him down to Michael and Daniel as, since they are Biblical, they are just as mythological as anything from Greco-Roman myth.
Were I to ever sire children, I would do my best to give them good solid names like Edward or Katherine or Nathan or something. I don't care how unplanned a kid is, you just don't name them MarsAssault Bravo, no matter how much you hate them for being.
Hunts move.
-
The temp sitting next to me right now is named Aristotle but everybody calls him Ares for short. He doesn't exactly have a god-of-war build, so I'm guessing he got teased a lot growing up.
-
Yeah, who would do that to a kid. Seriously. Greek mythology is no place to get a child's name.
I mean, you may as well take an obscure name from Shakespeare or something.
Shit!
-
Popularity of the female name Britney
Year of birth Rank
2006 474
2005 431
2004 350
2003 322
2002 236
2001 198
2000 137
1999 205
1998 451
1997 422
Someone's star has fallen.
-
My dad wanted to name my brother and myself Agamemnon and Ajax... Mom talked him down to Michael and Daniel as, since they are Biblical, they are just as mythological as anything from Greco-Roman myth.
Though I was intent on not procreating for various reasons, I had always fancied naming a young lad "Leviticus". He would have to take the Mom's last name, or a third, entirely chosen last name, as "Leviticus McBride" doesn't flow well. Something about that hard C sound in Mc.
Something more along the lines of Leviticus Stanton.
Luckily I was stopped before anyone was harmed by my odd feelings towards nomenclature. My son, however has his own problems, as he is named after an Heinlein character.
-
I'm not sure I have a lot of room to talk here, as not only do I have an extremely trendy name (according to this SSA thing, my name was the third most popular the year I was born, and this is borne out with my anecdotal evidence that there were always two or three of us in every class I ever had), but it was inspired by a Barry Manilow song. (Not directly, but in the sense that that's where the name first entered my father's consciousness; I still think that's pretty damning.)
... That came off as a trivia question, didn't it? Oh, well. I can't imagine my name and year of birth are all that hard to derive.
-
My name is always popular in those lists, but I have never known too many. One of my best friends right now has the same name, but, in a high school graduating class of like 450, only 1-2 others, and they both added a y.
My name, I think, is biblical, but actually came from a guy known as the "SW Springsteen" or something like that, who is my dads hero. For some reason I hate putting my name on the internet, but lets just say when you all talk to dunston sometimes I get confused, because she shares my real life initials.
Actually, fuck it, Joe, JL and Joe Ely(dads hero).
-
Wow, my name actually cracked the top 20 in 1989-90. I always thought that Kyle was relatively rare. I remember never being able to find any personalized crap when I was growing up. We always had to get stuff with my middle name on it.
I was named after my grandfather, and it looks like when he was born it wasn't even in the top 1000.
-
See, nowadays they are naming boys all kinds of crazy stuff!
-
My son, however has his own problems, as he is named after an Heinlein character.
Valentine?
-
Can I just say at this point that I am really upset about Jamie Lynn Spears having my first and middle names?
I wouldn't care if she weren't such a fuck*ng twit. And I know there are other Jamie Lynns out there, it's not like the first-middle combination is terribly unique, but I hate to see the name being splattered all over the tabloids. It's...creepy. Especially now that she's pregnant.
I fear that there will be a resurgence of Jamie Lynns in the near future, and then I won't be cool anymore.
Not that I ever was...but at least I had a semi-unique name.
-
Valentine?
Zebediah
-
Zebediah
Ooh, close. I was thinking "Jubal".
My wife vetoed "Sadie" for our daughter.
I actually wouldn't have gone for that one, as my great grandmother was named that, and she was apparently a source of terror for my Dad and his brother.
We ended up with Kaitlin, which is a name I've long liked - and is familial as well. My grandmother was Margaret Kathleen, and apparently Kaitlin (or even more correctly, Caitlin) is an older spelling. I used to worry her name would be too common, but in the schools she's going to the names are more like Noor, Yasmeen, Aisha, and Ji Yin.
-
Wow, my name actually cracked the top 20 in 1989-90. I always thought that Kyle was relatively rare. I remember never being able to find any personalized crap when I was growing up. We always had to get stuff with my middle name on it.
I was named after my grandfather, and it looks like when he was born it wasn't even in the top 1000.
My mom had narrowed my name down to Kyle and Eric - my grandmother preferred Eric, so here I is. I've found it interesting since that I was destined to share a name with a South Park kid.
-
I'm not sure I have a lot of room to talk here, as not only do I have an extremely trendy name (according to this SSA thing, my name was the third most popular the year I was born, and this is borne out with my anecdotal evidence that there were always two or three of us in every class I ever had), but it was inspired by a Barry Manilow song. (Not directly, but in the sense that that's where the name first entered my father's consciousness; I still think that's pretty damning.)
... That came off as a trivia question, didn't it? Oh, well. I can't imagine my name and year of birth are all that hard to derive.
Mandy. It's gotta be Amanda, yes? I love that name, because I had a friend named Amanda who was kickass.
-
My name is Owen, which I'm quite happy with as it's rare enough that I don't often come across others with the same name, but it's also accepted as a perfectly normal first name, so I don't get ridiculed for it.
Oh, and the best way to look at baby name popularity is the NameVoyager (http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html).
-
Had I known an Owen as a child... I would have definitely inundated him with "Throw Momma From The Train" jokes that almost no one would get and certainly only I would only get.
"OWEN! OWEN, GET ME SCHOME SODA, YOU SCHUPID IDIOT!"
Oh man, how I... and only I... would've laughed and laughed.
-
Alright, I did that. My name has been in the top 15 for a fuck*ng century. Where are all the Joe's? My theory is in the suburbs the name of the day is more prominent? I grew up with blakes and kyles and amandas and and and no joes.
-
The year I was born my name was number 19. In 2006 it had dropped to 134. Dang.
Also, If I ever have a girl child she will be named after my great grandmother Amazon Caledonia. That is non negotiable.
-
hm. I really like old-fashioned sounding names, but I also like really common names.
A girl I know used to date a guy named Archimedes. He is, of course, the smartest fuck*ng guy in the world, so he can pull it off.
I know a girl named Stuart due to a tradition of naming daughters with their mother's maiden name. Again, she is gorgeous, so she can pull it off.
Those of you who have kids-- did you run into problems where you had bad associations with names you liked? There are a lot of names that are ruined for me, I think, because it would be weird to name my child the same as an ex girlfriend, or that kid in high school who blasted Kenny Chesney when pulling his truck into the parking lot every day.
I gave a friend of mine a baby-name book as a joke, where i had gone through and circled names I liked for our child (a really boring and unfunny inside joke which we have continued for some reason for several years.) I seem to recall we settled on Emma or Emily. Something with Ms.
-
Also, If I ever have a girl child she will be named after my great grandmother Amazon Caledonia. That is non negotiable.
Oh HELL YES!
Fuck, I'm thinking about changing my name to Amazon Caledonia now.
THESE KNIVES!
-
there are so many awesome ancestral names in my family. I am always kind of sad that there were so many good last names, and I ended up with a boring one. All crazy Irish names on one side, all crazy Spanish/apparently Sephardic names on the other side, and I end up with a pretty-uncommon but ultimately boring English name.
My grandfather's mother's last name was "Hoare," though. At least I dodged that bullet.
-
My grandfather's mother's last name was "Hoare," though. At least I dodged that bullet.
I knew a chick in college whose last name was Kuntz.
-
Did she major in Bond Girl Studies?
-
Mandy. It's gotta be Amanda, yes? I love that name, because I had a friend named Amanda who was kickass.
Ding ding ding. Ironically, I decided by the time I was about six that I wasn't going by "Mandy" anymore, and these days I pretty much only let my grandparents get away with it. (And my parents, admittedly, but only on occasion.)
-
My parents fourth choice for my name was "Ajax," but they settled for their #2 choice.
I wish I was Ajax.
-
Ding ding ding. Ironically, I decided by the time I was about six that I wasn't going by "Mandy" anymore, and these days I pretty much only let my grandparents get away with it. (And my parents, admittedly, but only on occasion.)
See, I was actually hoping you were a girl named Mindy. Or a guy named Andy.
-
My first and last names are so boring as to be presidential surnames, and they aren't Van Buren. My middle name (grandmother's maiden) can be traced to a Welsh castle that dates back to at least the 9th century. And the Normans didn't take us. I guess the moral here is that if your family has owned property in Britain for a long time, there's pretty much no limit to how far back you (or in my case, your dad) can go with genealogy.
-
"Boy named Sue" is right on. Dealing with the social handicap of a weird name toughens you up for the adult world where people will give you even harsher disrespect for even more meaningless reasons.
I plan on giving my children ridiculous Victorian names, or the adjectival forms of obscure virtues.
Little Gertrude Vivian and August Maximilian Adams might have a tough time on the playground, but at least the jackets of their collected poems (posthumous after joint suicide) will look great.
-
Ding ding ding. Ironically, I decided by the time I was about six that I wasn't going by "Mandy" anymore, and these days I pretty much only let my grandparents get away with it. (And my parents, admittedly, but only on occasion.)
My cousin waited 'til she was seventeen to decide she was making the switch to "Amanda," but none of us can remember until we're halfway through. This results in her name almost always coming out as Man....nda."
Awkward.
My dad wanted to name me Courtney Lynn. Mom wanted Jamie Jean. (Dad's name is Gene.) I got Jamie Lynn. Thank heaven for small favors. I'm not a Courtney, and Jamie Jean just sounds country.
To answer inev's question, Pedro decided before he met me that he wanted to name his son after himself. I was cool with that (I love his name, anyway) as long as we didn't call him "Junior." We're pretty like-minded when it comes to names, we both like unusual names and we both like the idea of honoring our families by naming our children after grandparents, etc.
"Hero" is a departure from this, but the middle name, Elizabeth, was my great-grandmother's name. If she turns out to be a boy after all, or if we have another son later, he'll be Robert Eugene (after my parents, Roberta and Eugene). Pedro, however, prefers my grandfather's name instead of my father's -- Elton -- but I hate that name so I nixed it. If we ever have another girl, Pedro wants to name her Jamilyn [unspecified middle name] (after me) and I want to name her Catherine Grace (after Catherine the Great and also my mom's youngest sister; Grace is for Pedro's mother, Graciela). But he doesn't like the nickname "Cathy." (I keep reminding him that Catherine also = Cat, Kit, Catie, etc.) So: no, we never had names with weird associations, but there are some names one or the other of us just doesn't like. There are plenty to go around, though. I never understood why some couples could never reach agreement on this. Pedro and I always found it pretty easy.
-
I'm sorry, but if your child's first name is "Hero" their middle name must be "Protagonist".
It's not just good sense. It's the law.
-
I'm sorry, but if your child's first name is "Hero" their middle name must be "Protagonist".
It's not just good sense. It's the law.
Come on, AW. That's a boy's name!
-
Those of you who have kids-- did you run into problems where you had bad associations with names you liked? There are a lot of names that are ruined for me, I think, because it would be weird to name my child the same as an ex girlfriend, or that kid in high school who blasted Kenny Chesney when pulling his truck into the parking lot every day.
Oh yes. My wife liked "Shannon", but the name has associations for me with one of the nastiest tempered girls I've run into (junior high days). I liked "Jason" for a boy, but my wife hated some kids in high school with the name. Its a good thing gestating a kid takes so long. Plenty of time for name negotiations.
-
"Boy named Sue" is right on. Dealing with the social handicap of a weird name toughens you up for the adult world where people will give you even harsher disrespect for even more meaningless reasons.
I plan on giving my children ridiculous Victorian names, or the adjectival forms of obscure virtues.
Little Gertrude Vivian and August Maximilian Adams might have a tough time on the playground, but at least the jackets of their collected poems (posthumous after joint suicide) will look great.
I really like August as a boy's name (although I associate it not with Victoriana but with German farm people -- it was my grandfather's middle name), and I've liked Vivienne as a girl's name since the first time I heard it. Then again, I also have to deal with the legacy of my father's Ancestral Middle Name (all the dudes in his family for about five generations have been Something Enrique -- I would have been Andrew Enrique, had I been male), so I suspect I'll have to go with a normal male name by default just to balance it out.
-
I don't know -- August Enrique has a nice ring to it, methinks.
He can always go by "Rick" if he really hates being unique. But August isn't such an unusual name any more, either -- Pedro's good friend from high school named his son August. I don't know if there is such a thing as a truly unique name any more.
Except for Moxie CrimeFighter Jilette. Any time someone give me a hard time about "Hero," I just tell them about Moxie.
-
I love the names Milan and Lenny, but I obviously couldn't name any future children that. Moxie CrimeFighter? Jesus. I couldn't saddle a child with a name like that, but go figure I guess.
-
I don't know if there is such a thing as a truly unique name any more.
I have a friend whose daughter is named Hyla, after a genus of tree frog, which I assumed was unique. But I found three other people in the first two pages of Google hits.
-
The thing about Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette is that, her dad being Penn Jillette, she will surely be raised to live up to the sheer weirdness of her name. It's not a fire-and-forget thing like a lot of genuinely terrible names.
Also, on the subject of naming people after genera of tree frogs: if I were into amphibians, I would consider naming a child "Rana Pipiens." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Leopard_Frog) Even if it's outdated now, it's a species name I've always found mellifluous.
-
I'm not against the name Moxie. It's unusual, but not weird. It's the CrimeFighter that makes it weird. Moxie by itself isn't on the same level as Dweezil.
-
True, Moxie is... eccentric... but it is definitely not full-cask-strength weird.
On the Susan-to-Moonunit Scale it is a seven or maybe even just a high six.
-
http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2008/01/mcdonalds-vs-starbucks-vs-ray-vs-me.html
It's interesting that Beef thinks McDonald's will help Starbucks, as Slate just ran a piece explaining how the first Starbucks in a town actually helps existing coffee shops.
-
A damn fine blog post. I know Starbucks drink orders are easy material, but Beef's description still made me chuckle, especially in the context of McDonald's counter-people trying to recite them.
-
"The Venn Diagram looks like an 8."
I love Roast Beef. He is a fine gentleman.
-
"I don't have to think about things in advance to know what I think"
Roast Beef getting sassy is always fun. He has some confidence these days.
I also like that Ray specifically mentions that the Starbucks baristas have always showered recently, even before he has described the McDonalds cashiers.
In other news, I totally like Cappucinos. Why didn't anyone tell me that drink was good, I've been consistently getting Mochas and being disappointed.
-
Don't be a cock to a stranger, Ash. Ain't nothing wrong with a cappucino. Do you buy into ads that are basically, "Prove you're not gay! Eat this huge burger!"
-
Capuccinos are a step manlier than what I would expect inev to drink.
-
are cappucinos girly? really? fuck, I am so over giving a shit about what coffee is OK to drink.
-
I can imagine inev drinking cappuccinos. But I can also imagine A-Cap drinking Folgers from a two-gallon plastic tub he hell of keeps in a freezer in the garage. Myself, I used to drink Americanos but I'm slowly turning my caffeine addiction to tea. No idea why. Just sort of happened.
-
"Prove you're not gay! Eat this huge burger!"
I keep trying to do this, and I just end up crying.
Now... cocks on the other hand...
-
There are three types of coffee drink that aren't girly.
Coffee... unfrothed milk and/or white sugar at the most, nothing else.
Espresso shots.
Coffee with espresso in it along with unfrothed milk and/or white sugar at the most.
Everything else is fundamentally girly. Unless a trucker would drink it to stay awake after he finished off the crystal meth, it is girly.
This is not to say that I do not drink occasional girly drinks. There are times I throw some vanilla sugar in my coffee, there are times I splurge on a caramel macchiato.
But I admit and own the fact that I am drinking girly drinks when I do it.
If you're stuck with the truth, you gotta OWN that shit completely.
-
Dammit, people. A cappuccino is totally manlier than the way most Americans take coffee -- waaaaaaay too much sugar and/or cream. But I take offense to the idea that in order to be a Man you must drink the Approved Beverages. For Pete's sake.
Being a Man is about treating people with respect and protecting those who are weaker than you. Not whether you like froth in you coffee or drinks that come with little umbrellas.
-
Also I think there's something about testicles, but that may be urban legend.
-
Being a Man is about treating people with respect and protecting those who are weaker than you.
LOL
Someone has never been to an all male school. Because there I learned being a man is mostly about drawing c*ckes on desks and drinking more beer than the other guy. Also, getting laid.
-
Also I think there's something about testicles, but that may be urban legend.
You totally blew a Big Lebowski quote opportunity for the rest of us.
Also, I would be the Folger's guy, but I don't drink coffee. It is some weird reaction to doing other drugs and trying to have moral superiority. That is the same reason I didn't really drink in high school.
-
Someone has never been to an all male school. Because there I learned being a man is mostly about drawing c*ckes on desks and drinking more beer than the other guy. Also, getting laid.
That is what being a boy is about.
-
I drink not the coffee. But back when I did the website thing, my readers had a huge discussion over my treatise on how to determine a girly alcoholic beverage from a manly one by looking at the drink menu:
- Tropical Beach Blast: An infusion of flavored rums and fruit juices that will make you feel like you're at the beach! This drink is frozen, but it will leave you feeling Hot Hot Hot!!!
- Jack and Coke: $4.50
-
I don't actually drink coffee very often at all. I am plenty energetic without caffeine, most of the time... although maybe that will change now that I'll be getting 2 hours of sleep fewer a night. I will try to start going to sleep earlier, but... going to sleep at midnight? in college? lame.
as far as I'm concerned, being a man is based on having an awesome dick.
not huge. not knowing how to use it. not anything like that.
just having it, and knowing that having a dick is awesome.
-
I'm all sitting bolt upright in bed when my alarm goes off, throwing the blankets off my body, putting the metal fingers to either side of my fellow bits and loudly yelling "RAD!"
-
as far as I'm concerned, being a man is based on having an awesome dick.
not huge. not knowing how to use it. not anything like that.
just having it, and knowing that having a dick is awesome.
Huh. Where I come from, knowing how to use your dick is what MAKES it awesome. It's also what makes you a man.
Then again, you drink pussy coffee, so...
-
LOL
Someone has never been to an all male school. Because there I learned being a man is mostly about drawing c*ckes on desks and drinking more beer than the other guy. Also, getting laid.
No, but I went to a women's college, and I can tell you from experience that protecting the weak and respecting your peers are usually not women's strong suits.
This is probably why I don't get along with women very well.
-
I can tell you from experience that protecting the weak and respecting your peers are usually not women's strong suits.
I'd split the difference and say that...
Most of the people I've met in my life are greedy arrogant cowards, probably something like 83% of the people, and I've found that number to hold steady across gender, sexuality, race, creed, colour, etc etc etc.
Most people live in a state of blind reactionary fear and don't even know it and it makes them dicks, whether or not they have a dick, whether or not they covet someone else's.
-
Ah, LFM, bringing wisdom and tolerance to the board, as usual.
Oh merciful heavens, I've stepped into an alternate reality!
-
Yeah, uh, I was about to say, I attempt to protect the weak and respect my peers. Does this make me actually a dude? Because I do not have the sack for this job.
-
I prefer to take a little from Columns A and B. I protect the weak with my awesome c*ck.
-
I take my coffee black with no sugar because if I want a sweet caffeinated drink I will have a coke. A cappuccino in the morning though is tasty and good because it allows you to ease into your day, again though no sugar. I drink these drinks because they are good and honest and difficult for even the most inept barrista to screw up.
That said: Only tiara wearing princesses argue about what their drink says about them as a person.
-
I don't drink coffee because it tastes like it's been distilled from the bollock-sweat of Satan.
-
Only if you know where to go.
-
I can't drink coffee because it makes me all twitchy and paranoid, and gives me hell of insomnia. I do like a cup on occasion, though.
Also, a real man drinks whatever the hell he wants and looks like a badass while doing so. Even if it's a Malibu rum drink or a caramel macchiato.
-
I don't drink coffee because it tastes like it's been distilled from the bollock-sweat of Satan.
Exactly. Also, tea and beer. Well, I've never actually had any coffee, but nothing that smells that bad can possibly taste good.
-
I prefer to take a little from Columns A and B. I protect the weak with my awesome c*ck.
Yes. Guys should all take melack as a role model.
-
Also, a real man drinks whatever the hell he wants and looks like a badass while doing so.
See, I feel like the whole problem here is the need to constantly look like a badass.
-
Also, a real man drinks whatever the hell he wants and looks like a badass while doing so.
See, I feel like the whole problem here is the need to constantly look like a badass.
Well, the people that truly live by that, end up looking like Brock Samson. The best part is that they're unaware of their ridiculous nature.
-
I drink tea instead of coffee because I'm a huge fag.
OTOH, my awesome cock makes me an awesome hetero loverman.
It is a riddle that confounds all bodhizatvas.
-
yeah, my parents both drink tea.
-
I've started drinking tea because A) I don't own a coffee machine at my apartment, B) Buying coffee from a shop every day is expensive, C) The free coffee at work blows and D) There's a huge selection of free tea packets at work that I can get pumped up on all day long.
-
I would amend it to "a real man drinks whatever the hell he wants and doesn't give a crap if he looks like a badass doing so". Being worried about whether you look like a badass is one of the marks against Real Manliness; looking like a badass is a common side effect of manliness but a Real Man doesn't need the people watching him drink to evaluate his manliness for him.
-
I think the real question here is:
WWCND*?
*What Would Chuck Norris Drink?
-
Huckabee juice. He would drink Huckabee juice.
...oh man, do I not get the appeal of Huckabee.
It was bad enough having a president who does not believe in poor people, do we really need one who doesn't believe that life adapts to its surroundings over time? Let us not let this one fester for long, huh?
-
I was going to say something like that but didn't want to go with Huckabee juice so I quit. At least you took the opportunity.
-
I hate Chuck Norris. He is a fool. Why do people think he is cool?
I read somewhere that irony is a "cultural fungus" and now I believe it. I am attempting to remove it from my life as much as possible.
oh, yeah, it was Neil Stephenson who said that.
-
That is a good way to look at it. Seriously.
-
Irony isn't dead but... good Lord... this weakened corrupted strain of it that props up such drek as "I Love The 80s" and "Family Guy" and so on... it is worse than being dead. It is irony's zombie shuffling around, abomination-like, shaming the memory of what it used to be for all concerned.
It is sort of like Carlos Delgado in this manner.
Irony, as we know is today, is the lazy man's clever. No more and quite possibly less.
-
Actually, when I asked what Chuck Norris would drink, I was thinking more along the lines of "the blood of his fallen enemies." But, you know, Huckabee Juice works too.
My mom actually told me she thought she would probably vote Huckabee. Then I explained the concept of a national sales tax. Her response:
Mom: "It doesn't make sense."
Me: "Well, I can't explain it any better."
Mom: "No, I mean, it doesn't make sense that a national, Presidential candidate would propose something that stupid."
Sometimes I really love my Mom.
-
My problem with Huckabee is that I kinda like him as a person. I saw him on Leno and Letterman, and yeah, he was "on" for those shows, but he gets the laughs and is cool with poking fun at himself. It was almost like seeing Nixon on Laugh-In.
Too bad I disagree with him about approximately 95% of his views (his views on immigration are okay, especially for a Republican).
-
I think society needs to stop being so hung up on liking people. If they are good at their job it should not be necessary that you would feel comfortable grabbing a beer with them, but then I've always kind of hankered after a benevolent dictator based society.
Also the Lady loves tea and both my parents drink it but it is just too weak for me, unless I brew it myself and let it stew for way to long I just feel like I'm sipping hot water with a tiny bit of flavour in it. That said my folks brought me back some yerbermate tea from argentina so hopefully I will finally find a tea that matches my requirements.
-
I like Huckabee too, but more because he split the evil acting like compassionate conservatives from the people who were tricked by them. Should be fun if he gets the nod. Plus, you know, he is not completely despicable.
Also, re: Family Guy- we have already been over this too, but after the BCS game I muted my TV and listened to headphones for a while. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and when I came in Family Guy was doing a flashback type thing to the A team, then, immediately a Rocky flashback, then within the time it took me to text a friend about this example of shitty Family Guy-ness, a Charlie Brown thing.
-
my folks brought me back some yerbermate tea from argentina so hopefully I will finally find a tea that matches my requirements.
Yerba mate is a cultural icon that should be far more widespread than it is.
The caffeine content is substantial but the other chemicals supposedly counteract some of caffeine's less pleasant side effects, like increased heart rate and "the jitters," as 1950s ads for decaf Folgers crystals terms it.
Do you have a proper mate cup and bombilla? It really is not the same in a tea ball.
Pedro has been drinking yerba for years and it is wonderful. A tip: if you like strong tea it should be right up your alley, but if it's too bitter for your British palate you might consider adding a pinch of sugar to the yerba before you add hot water. It brings out the minty sweetness of the leaf and makes it go down a bit smoother. (I always drink mine with sugar, even though I like very strong tea. I can drink it without, but it's pleasanter with, IMHO.)
Also, my brother-in-law swears by the technique of shaking the cup vigorously to make the leaf powder rise to the top. Then he half-fills the gourd with cold water and tops it off with near-boiling, which he says makes the tea less bitter because straight-on hot water will burn the leaf. But Pedro just dumps the leaf into his gourd and pours boiling water on top, and nearly always singes his tongue when he takes his first sip.
That's how Chuck Norris would drink mate.
-
Is one of the things you mention the straw that looks like a crack pipe? That's why I never drank it, don't need anymore trouble.
-
yeah, that's the bombilla.
My dad likes to give Pedro a hard time about his "dope drink," which is funny because Pedro is about the cleanest-cut guy in the history of the universe. He has not tried almost as many drugs as Kieth has done in his lifetime.
I've already instructed him that he gets to be the one to talk to our kids about drugs.
-
I guess this is as good a place as any to make the irrelevant remark that I just saw an episode of Seinfeld in which he meets a ballplayer who says he is Keith Hernandez. You have no idea how disorienting this was. Is the next one going to star someone named August West?
-
It could only be more disorienting if it was Wombat - because she is so rarely seen...
-
I didn't know it was called the brombilla but yes I have that, also the cup carved out of a gourd so things are ready for authentic tea drinking.
I'm just concerned about where I can get more genuine leaves after I use up the couple of bags I have since a giant bag that would last about a year of normal tea drinking will last in my estimation about 2 or three sessions in this case.
I shall remember to post pics of my first yeber experience if this would please people.
-
One of my old housemates (who did a year exchange in Argentina) used to drink mate, and he found a shop somewhere here that sold it when the stuff he brought back ran out, so you should probably be able to find some where you are.
-
Pedro orders his online; I'm sure they have UK-based companies that import it as well.
He drinks mate all day at work, and a kilo lasts him about a month, I think. It is somewhat deceptive in that if you only drink one cup a day you will seem to go through it really fast, but he re-uses the same leaf for a whole day at a time (just adding more water from a thermos, you don't need to change the yerba, it will steep several times without hurting the intensity of the tea) so he gets about six cups for the price of one.
-
Pedro orders his online; I'm sure they have UK-based companies that import it as well.
I was under the impression that Doc lived in Australia.
-
Crap. Does he? Yes, a quick profile check confirms it.
Ah, well. Australia is part of the UK anyway, just like Canada is America's 51st state.
Sorry for shitting on your country through ignorance, Doc. But the fact remains: There are probably Aussie importers who can supply you with mate without the exorbitant shipping charges you would get if you ordered it from an American site.
-
I didn't know it was called the brombilla but yes I have that, also the cup carved out of a gourd so things are ready for authentic tea drinking.
I'm just concerned about where I can get more genuine leaves after I use up the couple of bags I have since a giant bag that would last about a year of normal tea drinking will last in my estimation about 2 or three sessions in this case.
I shall remember to post pics of my first yeber experience if this would please people.
I love yerba mate. A friend of mine from Chile said that the gourd is the "lower class" way of drinking it. His gramma has a gorgeous yerba mate set where the cups are painted in gold, sort of like how Russian formal teaware is made.
Also, do not buy mate' from the health food store. Their markup is insaaaaane. There are plenty of places on the intarwubs and at South American grocery stores where you can buy it in bulk.
when I was a barista at a health food store, we had these two guys from a yerba mate company come and visit. They were both (I presume) trust-fund kids who had this idea to introduce organic, fair-trade yerba mate to the US and started their own company. They traveled across the country in a very nice, very new RV and hawked their mate at health food stores, giving out samples. They were both ripped and gorgeous and tended to wear hemp overalls with no shirt. The ladies fawned over them like you would not believe. My friend and I at the juice bar secretly called them "The Mate Beefcakes". I am sure that their RV was rockin'.
-
As it happens the Lady's father imports it (at 1000% mark up, the man is an evil genius in this respect) I'm just not sure if it will be the same thing since he brings it in to sell it as normal tea whereas I'm going for the multiple steeping thing JD described. Worth a shot though. As I said, I shall try it this weekend and provide pics.
And no offense taken about the country thing, I noticed before but people in my own country barely believe where I come from (due to fruity accent issues) so geographical confusion has never caused me much trouble.
-
I guess this is as good a place as any to make the irrelevant remark that I just saw an episode of Seinfeld in which he meets a ballplayer who says he is Keith Hernandez. You have no idea how disorienting this was. Is the next one going to star someone named August West?
I am a bit disoriented too, but remember when my little profile things said I love cocaine and I smoked two and a half packs of cigarettes over the course of a baseball game? Well, that keith hernandez was a coke head who smoked two packs of cigarettes during a baseball game once. Also one of the greatest god damn defensive first basemen of all time. Also, the guy who may have gotten Darrell CUNT and Doc Gooden into coke, which really messed up both of their careers and lives.
-
Also, the guy who may have gotten Darrell CUNT and Doc Gooden into coke, which really messed up both of their careers and lives.
Between the misspelling of Darryl and the sauciness of the automatic filters, it took me a surprisingly long time to figure out that you meant the 1983 NL Rookie-of-the-Year and not... some kind of pornography star of whom I've never heard.
-
So its no longer safe for me to admit my love of CUNT jam? The enchanting aroma makes me want to rub my face in a CUNT all day!
-
To say nothing of how this effects the appreciation of nostalgic shortcake-themed dolls...
And how they are scented after their namesake.
-
I love yerba mate. A friend of mine from Chile said that the gourd is the "lower class" way of drinking it. His gramma has a gorgeous yerba mate set where the cups are painted in gold, sort of like how Russian formal teaware is made.
From my experience with my grandparents, Chileans seem really hung up on class stuff like that. I am pretty sure my grandparents drink Earl Grey or whatever. Hmm.
Wikipedia says that this is because they are Urban, but there is probably some sort of weird prejudice at the root of that.
also: part of my problem is that I don't completely understand how most things called Irony are Ironic.
also: I get pissed off that... apparently some of the things I like are cool to like among my friends, but they like them ironically. I forget examples of this.
also: Huckabee strikes me as a slimeball after that stunt he pulled which went like:
"I have a great negative ad about Romney, but I'm not going to show it."
"no?"
"no, I won't. and lemme tell you, it was great. It talked all about (some problem), and mentioned (some other problem), and called him a (something). But see, if I showed that, it would have been playing dirty. I wouldn't do that."
MOTHER fuck*ng LAETOTES!
-
I kind of like Huckabee, but I think it is very similar to how America liked Jimmy Carter. He got elected because he was a nice guy, and look where that got us.
-
Well, during that period people stopped going to jail for a couple years for quarter bags of weed, so...
I mean, since Nixon nearly every president has had some real bad fuck ups/ done fucked up things.
Also, I should have known how to spell Darryl (CUNT). To be fair, he has kind of just been a crack head since I have been able to, you know, watch tv and stuff.
-
I kind of like Huckabee, but I think it is very similar to how America liked Jimmy Carter. He got elected because he was a nice guy, and look where that got us.
I dunno, Huckabee doesn't come off as a nice guy to me, at all. Not in the least.
The way he can throw around these... pathologically backwards notions that he's so apt to defense... with a straight face and eloquence. I find it frightening. He has that... warm slickness of someone who is either a pathological liar or strictly delusional. Seamlessly saying things that no educated person could possibly believe about a literally-Biblical world and...
Yeah. There's something deeply sick and/or wrong there.
Dude gives me the oogies. Same oogies I get off Obama, really, except substitute "religion taken astonishingly literally" with "vague empty optimism".
McCain, at least, seems like he used to be a smart tough fella and he just slowly sold his ethics out to the will to power, like MacBeth, over the course of his many failures the last few election cycles. Just finally gave in everything he believed in for his last desperate grasp at the brass ring.
That I can at least identify with and respect.
Clinton's a little too quick to compromise to protect her power but... at least she's a clearly brilliant person who is simply... too easily corrupted by what she considers to be "possible" as opposed to what is right and how things should work.
She'll do the best that she can for the country as long as she doesn't lose influence doing those good things.
That's about the best I can ask of a politician.
But Huckabee, man, he is definitely either a sociopath or a schizoid.
You gotta step back and squint a little bit to see it but, oh man, there is Bad Juju all around that dude.
-
Mom: "No, I mean, it doesn't make sense that a national, Presidential candidate would propose something that stupid."
It does when you figure that a great swath of our electorate will take something like that at face value--"Yeah! Get rid of income taxes! Awesome!"--and never bother to think through the implications. Huckabee is stupid LIKE A FOX. Same goes for much of Ron Paul's stuff; it appeals to people who either have no clue how the world works, or just don't bother to figure out what it really means. "Abolish the Federal Reserve! WHOO!"
-
Bring back Ike, man...that's all I want. Guy was viewed as simple and too compromising in his time, but I think we need someone middle of the road on the issues who can frame questions and answers in a "What's the best thing that we can do in this situation?" kind of way.
Being someone who was born after Vietnam, Nixon, and Watergate makes me wonder what it was like to trust a public official to do the right thing. Must have been crazy.
-
The flip side of that is, imagine telling someone from back then that we consistently elect people who are totally untrustworthy and screw us over. They'd think we were nuts for continuously voting for the same idjits.
-
But that's no FUN, though.
I want a president who'll, like, socialize medicine through sheer force of will, even if it takes fending off assassins sent by the insurance industry with only his or her wits and a compound bow.
Screw pragmatism, I want to vote for Michael Moore if Michael Moore were a sexy lady.
-
Screw pragmatism, I want to vote for Michael Moore if Michael Moore were a sexy lady.
-
Well, I mean, that's a given.
-
Being someone who was born after Vietnam, Nixon, and Watergate makes me wonder what it was like to trust a public official to do the right thing. Must have been crazy.
Did people really used to, though, even before that? After all, that generation hardly invented political corruption.
-
That's true, I don't think people have ever really trusted their leaders, I guess now we are lucky that we tend to have much easier access to the information that demonstrates our suspicions were right all along.
-
Well, I don't mean unlimited trust in leaders, but a sense that we could elect them to do a job, and that they would do their best at it, and not totally screw things up.
There's always surveys coming out showing a decline in the trust placed in public institutions and officials, and the trend appeared to really head downward around the 60's in the U.S.
I suppose there is a strong component of nostalgia behind all of this, a desire to return to the good old days, when in fact the good old days never really existed.
-
Yeah, I mean you go back to the 30s in chicago and talk to someone about corrupt officials.
-
There's always surveys coming out showing a decline in the trust placed in public institutions and officials, and the trend appeared to really head downward around the 60's in the U.S.
I blame revisionist historians.
Really. I do!
-
I'm a little late here, but way back when about Yerba Mate. I thought I'd ad my buck oh five.
I get mine from amigofoods.com. Taragui sin palo is my standard stuff (http://store.amigofoods.com/tayemasinpa.html). "con palo" is with stems, and it generally dulls the flavor.
Wooden mates and gourds retain flavor over time. Metal and plastic mates are easier to wash, but don't have that special taste retention. Metal bombillas help you figure out how hot things are before you burn your mouth, and they feel better on your teeth than alternatives. Drinking mate the way you would tea or coffee takes the whole charm out of things. It's like using the patch instead of taking smoke breaks, the ritual is a big part of the drink. Sharing mate is also a huge part of it in Argentina, but it doesn't fit so well in germ-obsessed America.
Many web sites will tell you it doesn't contain caffeine, but matiene. They made that word up. There is almost no real scholarship on the stuff. Anyone who tells you it will increase your life-span or make you healthier is probably making that up.
I do take a lot of ribbing at work for what looks like drug paraphernalia, but it's generally good-natured.
I have tried flavored mate, and can't get into it.
As for Huck Norris. Nuts to Huck Norris.
-
It is done (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10141275@N00/sets/72157603696609143/).
Definitely a stronger flavour than I've come to expect from tea but one I think I could embrace.
I shall have to try adding a little sugar next time like JL suggested.
-
Huh. That does, indeed, totally look like drug paraphernalia. And in a way, I guess it is.
-
Just Chinesin' around. (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2008/01/deal-with-my-hair.html) This one's quality, folks.
Also, it would have been racist if anybody but the obscenely wealthy cartoon cat said it.
-
The basic problem with America is that a lot of people can't tell the difference between being racist and making fun of racism in a very over-the-top manner.
Good Lord, making fun of racism in an over-the-top manner is pretty much THE funniest thing going right now but... you gotta keep your eyes out for people who don't understand what you're doin'.
-
Good Lord, making fun of racism in an over-the-top manner is pretty much THE funniest thing going right now
Not if you're Carlos Mencia it's not.
-
I seem to remember a trio of comedians, one was Iranian, one was Iraqi, and one was Korean. They called themselves, "The Axis of Evil Comedy Tour," which I thought was pretty funny. Unfortunately, they never came to my part of the country, can't imagine why...
-
it's funny until you have the same problem in a different way, and my friend's shitty roommates think it's hilarious to sing "throw the jew down the well" every time they see him.
-
First year one of my suite-mates was Jewish and whenever we were playing a game and he died he'd shout out "oh the jew-manity!" Which the rest of us picked up on. Every once in a while I almost say it but then realize that it probably wouldn't look very good to people who didn't know that one guy in college.
-
To be fair, though, Carlos Mencia is the anti-Midas of comedy.
There is no kind of joke that he couldn't ruin.
-
Just Chinesin' around. (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2008/01/deal-with-my-hair.html) This one's quality, folks.
Also, it would have been racist if anybody but the obscenely wealthy cartoon cat said it.
Sounds like Onstad discovered the joys of acupuncture. Hope it works on the monk dime.
-
To be fair, though, Carlos Mencia is the anti-Midas of comedy.
There is no kind of joke that he couldn't ruin.
I've kind of got a vision of Mencia as Sinestro, diametrically opposed to good comedy and wielding the Lowest Common Denominator Comedy ring. Oh, and there is a Mencia Corps, my friends. Dane Cook is a founding member, sure as shootin'.
-
From Ray's blog:
"It was nice — he wasn't into all kinds of insurance papers and stuff, all like havin' me with a clipboard for half an hour checkin' "no" in every single disease column (except glasses)."
Have we known that Ray's shades were a legit prescription before this?
-
I ain't seeing this?
-
Of course Beef wants the Ramones represented at his wedding. I didn't ask for anything peculiar from Mrs. Haus in the wedding plans except for the smoke machine to go off as my best man and I came up the elevator (http://www.prolefeed.com/therest/elevator.jpg), and I didn't get it.
Mrs. Haus's sister and brother-in-law danced to Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" as their first dance. Which is all fine and good until they realized that the song is about twenty-six minutes long. It's like dancing to one of the "cigarette" tracks radio DJ's play when they've gotta go burn one.
Mrs. Haus points out that I also wanted Europe's "The Final Countdown" to play as I came up the elevator. But I only wanted it in conjunction with the smoke machine. So hot that would have been.
-
Of all the states that are not California, New Jersey seems to be brought up the most. Perhaps this is entirely a misconception of mine, as a search of the comic only reveals one fairly useless mention of it, so perhaps it's the blogs giving me this impression? But being from jersey myself, I guess I am just more prone to noticing mentions of it. Certainly also, his descriptions seem surprisingly apt; perhaps he was once a native. It is certainly frosty in suburban NJ lately, though technically I am currently in PA. I probably will always consider myself a member of NJ no matter where I end up, somehow.
edit: but speaking of marriage ideas.. I think it is despicable that people bow to the whims of older folks who expect certain levels of comfort and conformity at a wedding and end up with a mush of boring music and ceremonies that blend seamlessly into the morass of other weddings, to the point where you'll probably ask your wife someday down the road, "Did this happen at our wedding, or at Paula and John's?". You are getting married for yourselves, not for your uncles or grandparents -- make it something that means something to both of you!
-
My daughter did that for us, when she decided to come up the stairs and to her seat pretending she was a puppy. My wife couldn't hear the music announcing her entrance, but heard Madelynn barking it up and decided it was time.
-
I love this blog entry. I especially love that I don't really know much of anything about the Ramones, but after reading it I feel like I know everything there is to know about the Ramones.
-
I often think about what I would want played at my wedding.
I think I would probably go for, you know, Frank Sinatra, and some jazz, and some mellow soul stuff (sam cooke!), with some un-mellow soul stuff (motown!) thrown in.
my roommate was asked by his sister to make a playlist for the reception of her wedding and... I feel like that is just asking for disaster.
again, a 19 year old boy/man is picking the track list for her wedding reception.
-
I would comment but... y'know.
Fevered debate with Alex P Keaton is enough for one dude for one day, 'Nev would definitely call me on the carpet for not "getting" punk and A Thing would evolve out of it.
-
Good Charlotte will be played at my wedding because they are the punkest(tm)!
-
awesome! I know my grandma loves dancing with my grandpa to them!
-
I don't think I'm going to marry anyone who wants a wedding that costs more than the fireworks and intoxicants.
-
A very good rule.
-
damn, dude...
how are we gonna get married, then?
-
Suck it up and find a relative to pound some tunes on a loud electric keyboard. Saves a lot on entertainment costs.
-
First dance: "Love is Here to Stay," Ella & Louie.
Father of the Bride/Mother of the Groom dance: "25th December," Everything But the Girl.
Third song, open up the dance floor: "I See You Baby," FatBoy Slim remix, Groove Armada. Awwwwwwwwwww yeah.
-
I love this blog entry. I especially love that I don't really know much of anything about the Ramones, but after reading it I feel like I know everything there is to know about the Ramones.
You know enough not the cap the t in "the" which is more than most people.
I'd like to walk out to Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now but only like the first 45 seconds.
-
The rule my old rabbi used to have to keep a lid on wedding spending is that if the wedding went beyond the basics, he would quietly but insistently suggest that an amount equal to the extraneous spending be anonymously donated to charity. If anyone complained that this made the cost prohibitive, their wedding presumably was costing more than it ought to.
-
That's some quality wisdom.
-
There's something very Peter Singer to that.
(Peter Singer is a very provocative professor of ethics. One of his deals is not doing something in your power to help someone is the same as doing harm, therefor living above necessity and not using your money to affect positive change in our very negative world is the same as causing that negative. But look the man up and read his writings, it's subtler than all that. He's one of the better points of reference that I got out of my aborted liberal arts education.)
-
I certainly do hope there is no paper in Ray's house. That would be a state of rad.
There was paper in Ray's house, but then he ate about half a sheet completely by accident so he threw the rest away. The newspaper he's reading in yesterday's strip is a prototype rollable e-ink display. The Declaration he's reading in bed is a reproduction on vellum.
-
Not even toilet paper? Oh, wait, I guess not (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01122005).
I'm glad to see that Molly (http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2008/01/ray-is-so-grumpy-about-running-for.html) and Phillipe (http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/ray-is-bummed-out.html) have noticed Ray's grumpiness.
-
Philippe's blog post on this topic is pretty precious and slightly bittersweet (or maybe that's just me).
-
Shapes are just how things look and seem!
echoes, to me, "I've actually been known to have a little money of my own, so I am familiar with the way cash seems and behaves."
I like this construction. And the word "seem."