The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 30, 2011, 05:14:38 pm

Title: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 30, 2011, 05:14:38 pm
Since sometimes there's not an appropriate thread for stupid jokes/blogs/etc:

Ridiculous Yahoo! Answers (http://www.uproxx.com/feature/2011/03/100-of-the-most-ridiculous-yahoo-answers-posts/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily_Breakdown&utm_campaign=Daily+Breakdown+-+3%2F30%2F11#page/1). Yes, it starts with How is Babby Formed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_RaPOOVX1Y).

Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 30, 2011, 07:21:34 pm
I'll admit that one isn't solid gold, but it does have "how much Listerine does it take to get drunk" - which is topical where I'm at.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2011, 07:34:32 pm
The CAPS LOCK question is just wonderful.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2011, 01:57:05 am
Trolls trolling trolls
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on March 31, 2011, 02:18:41 pm
I retweeted this a few days ago but DAMN: http://lancecardinal.blogspot.com/2011/03/scratch-built-palisades-muppet-theatre.html?spref=tw
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2011, 03:02:43 pm
I retweeted this a few days ago but DAMN: http://lancecardinal.blogspot.com/2011/03/scratch-built-palisades-muppet-theatre.html?spref=tw

That is awesome, in the full sense of the word.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2011, 03:04:34 pm
Not sure if I first saw this around here, but Lego aircraft carrier (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126969).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2011, 03:53:07 am
I guess this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5577054292/)goes here.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 01, 2011, 01:32:32 pm
I guess this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5577054292/)goes here.

Only if it's not a comment on the thread in general.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 05, 2011, 11:31:37 pm
adult twins have a conversation (http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/5hg2)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on April 19, 2011, 01:11:08 am
Chicks With Steve Buscemeyes (http://chickswithstevebuscemeyes.tumblr.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2011, 02:03:17 am
Llama Font. (http://llamafont.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on April 26, 2011, 10:08:32 pm
The Abby Road Webcam (http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 26, 2011, 10:19:37 pm
Bikini Machines (http://superwoobinda.tumblr.com/). Very random blog. Often, but not always, NSFW.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2011, 10:39:06 pm
Bikini Machines (http://superwoobinda.tumblr.com/). Very random blog. Often, but not always, NSFW.

I don't think this is how you are supposed to use the ear candles (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj8baqQaYg1qbrgi3o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1303943880&Signature=U7FjXuJAu854WWfvse5pIMrcbhs%3D).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 26, 2011, 10:47:17 pm
I don't think this is how you are supposed to use the ear candles (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj8baqQaYg1qbrgi3o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1303943880&Signature=U7FjXuJAu854WWfvse5pIMrcbhs%3D).

The last thing you want is waxy buildup.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2011, 02:32:14 am
Where cheesecake pin-up girls meet Robert Downey Jr:  Pin-up RDJ. (http://pinuprdj.tumblr.com/archive)  Probably NSFW.  I don't even want to know what anyone's boss would think about such predilections.  I for one find it just wonderful.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2011, 05:57:09 am
I get the joke, but it's more than a joke when you do it over and over hundreds of times.  Also, dude is pretty dang good with photoshop.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2011, 02:08:26 pm
I get the joke, but it's more than a joke when you do it over and over hundreds of times.  Also, dude is pretty dang good with photoshop.

For me, I see Robert Downy Jr as sexy and I also see pin-up ladies as sexy, so I can definitly understand how this could become a compulsive thing for the guy creating it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 27, 2011, 05:49:34 pm
the most honest childrens book (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1617750255/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 27, 2011, 07:22:44 pm
May I advise some old-school Berenstain books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_and_Jan_Berenstain)? Titles include And Beat Him When He Sneezes and Be Good or I’ll Belt You. I bought my brother a copy of The Berenstains’ Baby Book (http://www.amazon.com/Berenstains-Baby-Book/dp/B001934T40), which is pretty typical of their 50s-60s stuff (we had a copy when I was a kid). I like the cover blurb about hating babies.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 29, 2011, 08:02:59 pm
non-profitables (http://www.bigfatwhale.com/archives/bfw_510.htm)

highlight: "planned man-childhood"
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 04, 2011, 04:51:03 pm
preview from the new season of futurama: scratchy beards and strip clubs (http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=383471&title=preview---scratchy-beards-and-strip-clubs)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 05, 2011, 09:08:32 pm
Moon landing conspiracy debunking (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/photogalleries/apollo-moon-landing-hoax-pictures/), from Nat'l Geo. Page has Java or Falsh or Silverlight or some kinda goddamn thing which is making it not load quite correctly, but it's fun - and some of the conspiracy theorists have left comments, so bonus!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 09, 2011, 04:00:54 pm
Google map driving simulator (http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/demos/drive-simulator/index.html) via MetaFilter (http://www.metafilter.com/103286/Take-a-drive-with-Google-Earth#comment).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 10, 2011, 09:24:33 pm
Somewhat rough chuckles here (http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/14285/jonathan-hobin-in-the-playroom.html).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 10, 2011, 11:50:55 pm
Google map driving simulator (http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/demos/drive-simulator/index.html) via MetaFilter (http://www.metafilter.com/103286/Take-a-drive-with-Google-Earth#comment).

this is pretty awesome.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on May 11, 2011, 12:22:22 am
Somewhat rough chuckles here (http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/10/view/14285/jonathan-hobin-in-the-playroom.html).

Seems an odd thing to say but this would work better for me if it looked like the kids were having fun? They look so dour it just makes me think of large man shouting at them 'Be serious children. This is Art.'
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2011, 04:03:08 am
100% of your Recommended Daily Allowance of Alphabet. (http://dontclickthis.whatingods.name/quick-brown-fox.gif)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on May 11, 2011, 04:08:37 am
Damn.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2011, 04:49:41 am
100% of your Recommended Daily Allowance of Alphabet. (http://dontclickthis.whatingods.name/quick-brown-fox.gif)

Oh that's a canning. Also: I stole this for Twitter.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 11, 2011, 06:43:26 pm
Google search for anagram (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=anagram&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=cc6bcc5982231d65&biw=1179&bih=963) - "Did you mean: nag a ram"

Oh Google, you clever little thing.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 12, 2011, 12:02:19 am
Seems Ray-like, but turns out to be disappointing after a couple clicks. (http://www.catswearingthongs.org/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on May 12, 2011, 12:52:29 am
noooooooo
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on May 12, 2011, 05:51:11 am
Seems Ray-like, but turns out to be disappointing after a couple clicks. (http://www.catswearingthongs.org/)


turns out? saddest thing. strange.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 12, 2011, 01:45:14 pm
the world according to an alcoholic (http://dustinland.com/archives/archives481.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 12, 2011, 05:20:56 pm
Seems Ray-like, but turns out to be disappointing after a couple clicks. (http://www.catswearingthongs.org/)

That is straight-up bullshit. That is the last thing I need right now. Bait and switch motherfuckers.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 13, 2011, 03:36:16 am
man wades across peanut butter art (http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2011/05/man-wades-across-peanut-butter-art.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2011, 01:41:33 pm
man wades across peanut butter art (http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2011/05/man-wades-across-peanut-butter-art.html)

404
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 13, 2011, 05:27:06 pm
404

Works for me - well, for various definitions of work, I guess.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 14, 2011, 04:10:04 pm
cat in a tank (http://vimeo.com/user7056635/cats-in-tanks)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 14, 2011, 10:04:23 pm
cat in a tank (http://vimeo.com/user7056635/cats-in-tanks)

The wife and I enjoyed that quite a bit but I'm not showing it to the little bastards.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on May 14, 2011, 10:48:23 pm
OK, I know that last link is not strictly You Tube, but could this be the Non-Video Link thread? Because I feel tricked when I click on a link here and it's a video.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 15, 2011, 12:46:24 am
OK, I know that last link is not strictly You Tube, but could this be the Non-Video Link thread? Because I feel tricked when I click on a link here and it's a video.

[[rolls eyes]] fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 15, 2011, 01:44:29 am
But then where am I suppose to put the Forehead Tittaes (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5a52180b80/forehead-tittaes-w-marion-cotillard?playlist=hall_of_fame) link? (NSFW)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 20, 2011, 04:47:22 am
burt reynolds fan letters are terrifying (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/05/burt-reynolds-fan-letters-are-terrifying)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 20, 2011, 05:10:34 am
burt reynolds fan letters are terrifying (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/05/burt-reynolds-fan-letters-are-terrifying)
Quote from: jesuschristreally?
Passion flower to eager femmes from 8 to 80
8? Like, 8 years old? I'm not sure I need the expression "womb broom" in close proximity to a discussion of 8 year olds.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 20, 2011, 05:13:15 am
I'm not sure I need the expression "womb broom" in close proximity to a discussion of 8 year olds.

[[dryheave]], indeed.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 21, 2011, 03:51:12 am
When I discovered it a month or so ago, I spent almost an entire weekend reading Cake Wrecks (http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/05/cake-that-started-it-all.html).  It is possibly the most enjoyable site I've seen in a while.  I could link to about a dozen posts, but even better I'll just invite you to lose yourself in the wonder that is Cake Wreck.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 21, 2011, 04:26:43 am
Interestingly, I posted that while enjoying a fine glass of Riesling, and continue to imbibe as I revisit Cake Wrecks again.  There are so many posts that I'm not nearly done reading the archive.  Some of the posts are funny (http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2011/02/to-bee-or-not-to-bee.html), others make me really worry about the future of humanity. (http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/10/sorry-you-cant-have-any.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 21, 2011, 06:20:35 am
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/pictures-you-need-to-see-before-the-world-ends
Some fun pics here, but I mostly wanted to point out number 7.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 21, 2011, 07:16:59 am
8? Like, 8 years old? I'm not sure I need the expression "womb broom" in close proximity to a discussion of 8 year olds.

Working in an oil field I'm surprised you've never heard the expression "8 to 80, blind, crippled and crazy." Of course, referring theoretically to females eligible to have sex.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 22, 2011, 06:01:26 pm
Working in an oil field I'm surprised you've never heard the expression "8 to 80, blind, crippled and crazy." Of course, referring theoretically to females eligible to have sex.

I tend to ruin people's fun up there, so they don't say shit like that around me (of course, things have changed a lot up there - when I first started, my supervisor was on the unit one time, flipping through a Hustler and talking about how he was worried he was going to see his daughter in there one day).

I had a guy babbling at the dinner table about Muslims one time, and I told him to knock it off. He protested that there weren't any of them around. The thing that bugged me the most with this is that I don't want to work in a dangerous situation with someone who is so fuck*ng stupid on so many different levels. I told him one of us would have to sit somewhere else, and he left.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on May 22, 2011, 08:59:10 pm
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/pictures-you-need-to-see-before-the-world-ends
Some fun pics here, but I mostly wanted to point out number 7.

Dammit, I would have enjoyed that a lot more if they had linked back to the original. They've posted it before, they know where it came from. I'm just going to have to give up and consider it my contribution to the sum total of human happiness.

By the way, if you ever see that photo in an ad for a certain telecommunications provider, let me know. I did get paid for it, so that one won't make me mad.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 25, 2011, 04:44:34 pm
how does someone accidentally fall ass-first onto a compressed air nozzle? (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/25/3226586.htm?section=justin)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 26, 2011, 04:44:10 am
From MeFi, and good luck with this (http://www.unomoralez.com/). It was described there as "disturbing pixel art in a Hypercard-era style" and that pretty much captures it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2011, 01:57:14 pm
From MeFi, and good luck with this (http://www.unomoralez.com/). It was described there as "disturbing pixel art in a Hypercard-era style" and that pretty much captures it.

Disturbing!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on May 26, 2011, 10:50:53 pm
holy shitballs
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 27, 2011, 01:25:33 am
how does someone accidentally fall ass-first onto a compressed air nozzle? (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/25/3226586.htm?section=justin)

Obvious (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11082005)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 28, 2011, 02:06:52 am
I'm not sure if this goes here or under saddest thing, but here goes:

The greatest site in the history of the internet (http://yvettesbridalformal.com/index.htm).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on May 28, 2011, 02:12:51 am
I'm not sure if this goes here or under saddest thing, but here goes:

The greatest site in the history of the internet (http://yvettesbridalformal.com/index.htm).

What is going on here?
Why does it slowly close up on her nose? (http://yvettesbridalformal.com/VirginiaWoolfMillionDollarPortraitDrawing.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 28, 2011, 02:52:38 am
please click here to visit That's So PodCast !! ~* (http://thatssopodcast.com/).

I . . . what?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 28, 2011, 03:00:49 am
is that real?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 28, 2011, 03:13:45 am
is that real?

I have not done exhaustive research, but I don't see convincing evidence that it's a joke.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 28, 2011, 10:14:54 am
I really, really enjoy The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell) (undoubtedly linked here before).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on May 28, 2011, 12:48:59 pm
I used to like the Oatmeal but now he is ruined for me. The thing is that the Oatmeal and I have the same agent, and I know it is stupid to compare since we don't do the same thing at all and he is massively internet-famous and otherwise there is no conceivable category that we are both a member of, but it's kind of like we are siblings and he is the favorite child. She is always retweeting links to his stuff and never retweets links to my stuff. Is that a 21st century problem or what?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 28, 2011, 01:16:49 pm
I used to like the Oatmeal but now he is ruined for me. The thing is that the Oatmeal and I have the same agent, and I know it is stupid to compare since we don't do the same thing at all and he is massively internet-famous and otherwise there is no conceivable category that we are both a member of, but it's kind of like we are siblings and he is the favorite child. She is always retweeting links to his stuff and never retweets links to my stuff. Is that a 21st century problem or what?

there has been sibling rivalry forever.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 28, 2011, 03:23:00 pm
I used to like the Oatmeal but now he is ruined for me. The thing is that the Oatmeal and I have the same agent, and I know it is stupid to compare since we don't do the same thing at all and he is massively internet-famous and otherwise there is no conceivable category that we are both a member of, but it's kind of like we are siblings and he is the favorite child. She is always retweeting links to his stuff and never retweets links to my stuff. Is that a 21st century problem or what?


I think most of his shit is pretty funny, but he did this one thing about hosss (http://theoatmeal.com/story/eat_hosss) that, although funny, made me feel sorry for his poor neglected and mistreated hosss.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 28, 2011, 03:26:37 pm
I used to like the Oatmeal but now he is ruined for me. The thing is that the Oatmeal and I have the same agent, and I know it is stupid to compare since we don't do the same thing at all and he is massively internet-famous and otherwise there is no conceivable category that we are both a member of, but it's kind of like we are siblings and he is the favorite child. She is always retweeting links to his stuff and never retweets links to my stuff. Is that a 21st century problem or what?


And you don't like him, but you still like her?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 03, 2011, 03:52:41 pm
opinions are like nipples (http://www.27bslash6.com/opinions.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2011, 04:06:38 pm
That was fun.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on June 03, 2011, 10:19:18 pm
opinions are like nipples (http://www.27bslash6.com/opinions.html)

Oh that is lovely.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2011, 12:32:31 am
And you don't like him, but you still like her?

I missed this. The answer is "Wait, where did I say that I still like her?"
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2011, 03:40:10 am
I missed this. The answer is "Wait, where did I say that I still like her?"

I made an assumption based on another assumption that you still were working with her.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2011, 01:17:49 pm
Yes, I am still working with her, but, the thing is, do you like everyone you work with? Getting a literary agent is at least as hard as getting a new job, at least for the average non-famous person.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2011, 02:04:47 pm
Yes, I am still working with her, but, the thing is, do you like everyone you work with? Getting a literary agent is at least as hard as getting a new job, at least for the average non-famous person.

You know I don't know anything about such a thing. No, my assumption was that it's like picking your sidekick or henchman.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on June 04, 2011, 03:25:43 pm
I assumed it was more like picking your pimp.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2011, 03:33:54 pm
I assumed it was more like picking your pimp.

That would explain a lot about Wombat's response, then.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2011, 05:39:22 pm
It's very bizarre, really. Convincing someone to be your agent is like applying for a job but worse. You have to convince them that you are the greatest thing since sliced bread and will make a ton of money for them. They have to not only fall in love with your book, but also believe that they can make an editor fall in love with it. And they have hundreds of people a week writing to them, trying to do the same thing, so they can afford to be very picky.

And then, yeah, after all this, they are basically supposed to be working for you. The whole business is very warped.

So anyway, I can't just dump her because it annoys me when she is tweeting the Oatmeal and not using her great powers (she is a literary agent, so is followed by a zillion people on Twitter who wish they had an agent) to promote me as well. I also can't dump her because she has already vetoed my second idea for a book because she thinks she can't sell it. Not unless I want to start all over trying to find another agent. I'm not at that point yet.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 05, 2011, 04:30:15 am
. . .

And then, yeah, after all this, they are basically supposed to be working for you. The whole business is very warped.

. . .


Hmmmmm.
</Disapproving Marge Simpson voice>
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on June 05, 2011, 04:42:56 am
Damn, at least pimps keep you in blow.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 06, 2011, 05:15:13 pm
animated drunk voicemail (http://vimeo.com/24530290)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 08, 2011, 05:24:42 pm
peanutweeter (http://peanutweeter.com/)

"@Peanutweeter matches kinda random Twitter posts with somewhat less than random Peanuts® comic strips by Charles Schulz."

some are gems, others are smirk-worthy and thats about it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 13, 2011, 10:37:38 am
magnified grains of sand (http://www.sandgrains.com/Sand-Grains-Gallery.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 13, 2011, 07:41:34 pm
magnified grains of sand (http://www.sandgrains.com/Sand-Grains-Gallery.html)

That's really fuck*ng cool, but this:
Quote
If each grain of sand is so beautiful and unique, imagine how beautiful and unique each person is?
Is some kind of false dichotomy or non-sequitur or some other logical fallacy.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 15, 2011, 12:58:16 pm
"go the fuck to sleep" narrated by samuel l jackson: http://zedjames.tumblr.com/post/6536517206 (http://zedjames.tumblr.com/post/6536517206)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on June 16, 2011, 01:30:50 pm
Samuel L Jackson has a very specific career.

Morgan Freeman would have been better, but only slightly.
Tom Waits would have been best.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 16, 2011, 02:47:24 pm
That all reminds me of this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4819.msg174020.html#msg174020) (can't post it directly here).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on June 18, 2011, 03:11:29 am
Prostatitis? (http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/17/early-coded-ad-for-a.html) (probably nsfw)

People have been getting freaky for awhile now, and have been using machines to help them along their way.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on June 18, 2011, 03:16:16 am
The Johnny Cash Project (http://www.thejohnnycashproject.com/#/explore/TopRated) is fuck*ng awesome.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on June 18, 2011, 03:27:13 am
Hell yes it is.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on June 19, 2011, 02:39:21 am
The Johnny Cash Project (http://www.thejohnnycashproject.com/#/explore/TopRated) is fuck*ng awesome.
Amazing.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on June 19, 2011, 07:58:49 am
The Johnny Cash Project (http://www.thejohnnycashproject.com/#/explore/TopRated) is fuck*ng awesome.

I don't know about that video, but that's a great song.  The video reminds me of interactive artcars, particularly the ones where you can draw on with chalk (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/247685214/).  I've never seen one that didn't eventually start looking like crap after a bunch of people "contributed" to the art.  I'd like to see the source video though.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 24, 2011, 11:56:12 am
motherboard art (http://www.tomorrowandbeyond.com/circuit_board_art_of_joe_dragt.php)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on June 25, 2011, 08:13:32 am
Holy Christ: the world's most agreeable wife (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003082/Husband-fills-entire-540-square-foot-room-enormous-Lego-castle.html).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 25, 2011, 12:16:33 pm
Holy Christ: the world's most agreeable wife (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003082/Husband-fills-entire-540-square-foot-room-enormous-Lego-castle.html).

that son of a bitch likes LOTR, star wars, AND builds epic shit out of legos?!  i dont believe a real woman would even marry him....
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on June 25, 2011, 08:30:59 pm
After reading the headline for this one, I then checked to make sure it wasn't an Onion article.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 30, 2011, 01:15:43 pm
another onion-esque idea: ***** armpits (http://www.slashgear.com/researcher-creates-an-armpit-for-*****s-complete-with-bo-29162023/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 01, 2011, 04:54:18 am
***** dental patient (http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/06/30/*****-dental-patient-of-the-day/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on July 01, 2011, 07:29:06 am
***** dental patient (http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/06/30/*****-dental-patient-of-the-day/)

***** 404?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 01, 2011, 12:23:20 pm
***** 404?

[[shrug]] im not used to the filters not working in my favor.....
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 04, 2011, 12:05:16 am
tough mudder (http://toughmudder.com/)

the idea of that event just made me jizz in my #####
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 05, 2011, 02:08:01 pm
tough mudder (http://toughmudder.com/)

A couple of people I work with actually did this.  They said it was an absolute bear, but they were psyched to say they completed it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 09, 2011, 12:45:14 pm
steakhouse or gay bar? (http://www.steakhouseorgaybar.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2011, 12:51:04 pm
Gay Bar (http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar)  (I know I've posted this before, but I can't help myself)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 09, 2011, 01:41:31 pm
Gay Bar (http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar)  (I know I've posted this before, but I can't help myself)

you get a can because i never saw that before.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2011, 08:59:34 pm
I really dig that song.  It's on that epic mixdisc that GKA sent out awhile back.  I had never seen that animation before though.  Funtimes.

Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2011, 12:38:19 am
Yeah, the song is great and the animation is just too funny.  The perfect mix of WTF and web-y-ness.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2011, 03:10:03 pm
The White Stripes deal is great, too - but it's "We Like the Moon" when they really come into their own.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 13, 2011, 05:02:43 pm
wood tape (http://gamesbyemail.com/WoodTape/Default.htm)

dudes that are dads or that have had a dad might want to have a way to hide weeping.  this is hell of touching.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on July 15, 2011, 11:20:28 pm
Have you Heard? (http://tbitw.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 28, 2011, 06:15:45 pm
red state (http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2011/07/27/trailer-red-band-for-red-state-another-look-at-kevin-smiths-latest/)

NSFW
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on July 29, 2011, 11:35:25 pm
Have you Heard? (http://tbitw.com/)

I'm annoyed there's nothing clever if you keep clicking yes.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2011, 10:35:54 pm
I figure that is the way you're supposed to do it. I figure that is the way Ash does it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on August 04, 2011, 02:38:00 am
How to be a Dick on the Internet (http://www.notquitewrong.com/rosscottinc/2011/08/03/so-youre-mad-about-something-on-the-internet/).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on August 04, 2011, 07:38:02 am
That could be a revolving picture of all of us.

Also, I am sitting here with a cat purring on my lap. I approve of this addition to the family.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on August 05, 2011, 07:50:58 pm
How to be a Dick on the Internet (http://www.notquitewrong.com/rosscottinc/2011/08/03/so-youre-mad-about-something-on-the-internet/).

Ah - that is quality right there.  I like it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 11, 2011, 12:47:02 am
"artist" injects self with hoss blood (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/08/artist-injects-self-with-hoss-blood-and-its-not-james-franco)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on August 11, 2011, 01:57:07 am
That one is definitely going in my next book.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 24, 2011, 11:20:43 pm
burglar proof your stash of cash (http://columnfivemedia.com/work-items/mint-infographic-how-to-burglar-proof-your-stash-of-cash/) (this might be brilliant if burglars didnt have access to the internet.)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2011, 07:25:51 pm
Who the hell keeps large sums of cash in their house?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 25, 2011, 07:30:46 pm
burglar proof your stash of cash (http://columnfivemedia.com/work-items/mint-infographic-how-to-burglar-proof-your-stash-of-cash/) (this might be brilliant if burglars didnt have access to the internet.)

Well yeah, but, at least in my mind, there are two types of burglars.  The more common type would be somebody fiending for something.  They will just take yer stuff as quickly and simply as possible and probably aren't reading on the internet about where people hide their shit.  The second is professional burglar.  They will probably know where you keep your stuff no matter where you keep it, so not a lot you can do.  You probably have to be kinda loaded for them to target you.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2011, 03:27:19 am
Yeah, maybe. My mom got robbed a few times and it seemed like they weren't just meth-heads, but she definitely didn't have Picassos and shit.

On the other hand, the third possibility is being targeted by someone who knows you in some way/has been in your house previously. This is probably what happened in my mom's case.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 26, 2011, 06:35:13 am
Oh yeah, that is definitely common with older people.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2011, 06:42:48 pm
Oh yeah, that is definitely common with older people.

And also when your kids mingle with crackleheads (maybe that's basically the same thing you said).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 26, 2011, 08:09:34 pm
college etiquette guide (http://www.bigfatwhale.com/archives/bfw_526.htm)

spoiler/highlight: "tenure slut"
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2011, 11:30:43 pm
college etiquette guide (http://www.bigfatwhale.com/archives/bfw_526.htm)

spoiler/highlight: "tenure slut"

And a callback to A-Cap's past: "Don't masturbate in the showers. Use a stall like a classy congressman."
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on August 28, 2011, 12:56:49 pm
All of the Doctors as kitties (http://tardiscat.deviantart.com/art/Doctor-Mew-76714357)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2011, 03:33:54 am
Ultra-realistic Futurama statues. (http://io9.com/5836847/ultra+realistic-futurama-replicas-creep-us-the-hell-out)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on September 03, 2011, 08:43:16 am
Those are pretty cool.

The Ron Paul Appreciation Station (http://www.reddit.com/r/circlejerk/). From Reddit
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 05, 2011, 09:03:09 pm
awesome people hanging out (http://awesomepeoplehangingouttogether.tumblr.com)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 06, 2011, 12:59:58 am
WHAT'S GOING ON! (http://blackacrebrewing.com/hey.swf)

(my miggroids)

Awesome sauce!

ive never been creeped out by something that made me laugh so much that i practically pissed my #####.  that certainly is something...
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2011, 06:05:09 am
Cans for everybody.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on September 14, 2011, 01:27:29 am
That made me laugh. Especially the way he looks like he's been enjoying his great adventure.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on September 14, 2011, 02:10:12 am
That's a beautiful dog. I've always loved Huskies.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on September 14, 2011, 02:46:54 am
 Shit My Kids Ruined (http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/)  if you're a parent, enjoy.  If your not, well this site will make you glad you're not. 
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on September 17, 2011, 05:21:41 pm
Shit My Kids Ruined (http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/)  if you're a parent, enjoy.  If your not, well this site will make you glad you're not.  

So how come I can check out Shit My Kids Ruined and Shit My Husband Ruined, but Shit My Wife Ruined is blocked at work?

Edit: Pets opens fine as well.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2011, 12:24:44 am
So how come I can check out Shit My Kids Ruined and Shit My Husband Ruined, but Shit My Wife Ruined is blocked at work?

Avast feminist conspiracy?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on September 18, 2011, 01:27:52 am
You're just being too sensitive, you crazy bitches.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 18, 2011, 01:44:32 am
You're just being too sensitive, you crazy bitches.

canned for stealing my idea.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on September 18, 2011, 03:52:03 am
Fuck, I ran out of cunt pills today.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on September 18, 2011, 01:26:39 pm
Nabu ain't wearing no gunny sack.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on September 18, 2011, 07:19:32 pm
Oddly, I opened up "wife" on my computer in my room (WiFi, not network) and it worked, but there was a pop-under for every page, unlike all the rest of the associated sites.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 21, 2011, 09:22:19 pm
Study finds fatherhood reduces levels of testosterone (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-huppke-testosterone-column-20110921,0,1305156.story)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on September 23, 2011, 06:08:35 pm
Does this go here? I think it does. (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/09/michael-boley-touchdown-ricochet-two-out-of-three-aint-bad.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2011, 06:45:17 pm
Does this go here? I think it does. (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/09/michael-boley-touchdown-ricochet-two-out-of-three-aint-bad.html)

Since we're posting: Noodling. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hpFKtQj3hk&)

Listen to the one and watch the other on continuous loop.  It's pretty surreal.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on September 24, 2011, 12:30:21 am
Does this go here? I think it does. (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/09/michael-boley-touchdown-ricochet-two-out-of-three-aint-bad.html)

I saw that during the game. I was all, "what an asshole!" and then was amazed that the announcers said nothing.

Edit: What Asherdan said.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 26, 2011, 05:39:22 pm
Pugs attached by a zombie. (http://www.dump.com/2011/09/24/2009-pugs-attacked-by-a-zombie-video/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2011, 06:15:18 pm
That was a delight.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on September 26, 2011, 07:25:10 pm
Excuse me while I repost that in every possible place on the internet.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on September 26, 2011, 10:11:39 pm
Excuse me while I repost that in every possible place on the internet.

You have a duty to the world.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on October 15, 2011, 04:43:11 am
Lego version of those crazy Japanese 'Dekotora' trucks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/legohaulic/5585814696/in/photostream/lightbox/).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on October 15, 2011, 07:33:22 am
Lego version of those crazy Japanese 'Dekotora' trucks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/legohaulic/5585814696/in/photostream/lightbox/).

Is it wrong that this made me sad?  I long for a time when lego was simple.  I know we've talked about this elsewhere, but yeah.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on October 15, 2011, 10:19:02 am
Is it wrong that this made me sad?  I long for a time when lego was simple.  I know we've talked about this elsewhere, but yeah.

Lego is still pretty simple. I mean, it can be. It's just that some people do amazing things with it. These (http://mikedoylesnap.blogspot.com/) aren't simple, but I think they are beautiful (may have been linked here before).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 12:51:45 pm
This:

I wish people would figure out that just because you CAN make stuff on the internet blink and fly around and dance doesn't mean that you should.... with some exceptions:

Reminded me that I hadn't posted this:

(http://gifshack.com/gif/02a/02afd94619e9aacbbd98fb22c41a6869.gif)

The whole thing was composed and shot by my six-year-old; Pedro just converted it to a .gif.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on October 19, 2011, 01:03:56 pm
Does the brown car temporarily sprout bug eyes there? Because that is awesome.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 03:13:17 pm
They are puzzle erasers. He took a photo of each step of the putting-together process, and the eye pieces appear more prominent before the next piece goes in and partially covers them.

He calls this video, "McQueen grows up, and Mater grows up, and they go play." There's dialog, as well, which he happily provides in a voice-over.

The little blue one is Guido (the forklift who works for Luigi), but in this "episode" he stands in for a tractor. Mater honks his horn, and Guido falls over backwards, like the "tractor tipping" scene from the movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm77JG6d99M).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on October 19, 2011, 11:40:17 pm
Now that I've done a tiny bit of neuropsych and stuff it's totally amazing how a little kid can do all the abstract thinking involved in 'this piece of plastic represents a character, but the character is going to pretend to be a different character to re-enact this scene'. Kids are awesome y'know?

Or maybe I'm just over-tired and full of coffee.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 11:43:09 pm
Now that I've done a tiny bit of neuropsych and stuff it's totally amazing how a little kid can do all the abstract thinking involved in 'this piece of plastic represents a character, but the character is going to pretend to be a different character to re-enact this scene'. Kids are awesome y'know?

Or maybe I'm just over-tired and full of coffee.

Yes! Especially a kid who is "supposed to" have unusually rigid thought patterns. He's pretty amazing.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on October 19, 2011, 11:57:36 pm
Asleep styles (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3879952/Dee-has-baby-after-sex-while-hubby-is-asleep.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 01:55:04 am
This seems like an appropriate place to leave these Bangable Dudes (and some ladies) In History. (http://bangabledudesinhistory.blogspot.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on October 20, 2011, 03:01:58 pm
Fuckin' A.

(http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmb6wkhAi1qabj53o1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 25, 2011, 03:14:05 pm
Flame Effect Workshop. (http://boingboing.net/2011/10/24/flame-effects-workshop-weekend-in-los-angeles-nov-5-6.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)  Paul?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2011, 04:48:28 pm
Flame Effect Workshop. (http://boingboing.net/2011/10/24/flame-effects-workshop-weekend-in-los-angeles-nov-5-6.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

I can tell from the photograph they know what they are doing.  Nice big flames too.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2011, 01:18:01 am
Big Bad Wolf (http://jezebel.com/5853480/a-bold-new-way-to-give-head)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 01, 2011, 12:30:07 pm
Big Bad Wolf (http://jezebel.com/5853480/a-bold-new-way-to-give-head)

that is foul, yo.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2011, 11:40:12 pm
For those of you who didn't see this at Snopes:

People Pictures (http://www.hammergallery.com/images/peoplepictures/people%20pictures.htm).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2011, 02:44:33 am
All arty and shit (http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html) (warning, autoplays music).

(Don't forget to check out the scrolling action.)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 04, 2011, 03:17:12 am
All arty and shit (http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html) (warning, autoplays music).

(Don't forget to check out the scrolling action.)

cool.  i expected to hear 'ave maria', though.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 24, 2011, 01:31:52 am
perez hamilton (http://www.perezhamilton.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on November 24, 2011, 05:06:13 am
For those of you who didn't see this at Snopes:

People Pictures (http://www.hammergallery.com/images/peoplepictures/people%20pictures.htm).
Made me think of this guy (http://www.spencertunick.com/artwork.html) - sort of.
NSFW
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on November 24, 2011, 02:39:43 pm
Made me think of this guy (http://www.spencertunick.com/artwork.html) - sort of.
NSFW

With you on that - not sure why it didn't occur to me at the time.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2011, 10:07:57 pm
Comics of never-created flash games (http://gametoilet.posterous.com/gametoilet370-the-fall-of-the-house-of-ushers).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 30, 2011, 01:31:51 am
The Same Picture of Dave Coulier Every Day (http://samepicofdavecoulier.tumblr.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2011, 03:57:30 am
No false advertisement there, Ms Waterfield.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 30, 2011, 06:54:15 am
Alanis Morissette built a webpage? Neat!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2011, 08:32:30 am
That reminds me of ZomboCom (http://www.zombo.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on December 01, 2011, 09:34:34 pm
If  lil' nephew was a kid IRL  (http://textsfrombennett.tumblr.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 01, 2011, 09:42:09 pm
That must be cool to have Tracy Morgan as a phone contact.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2011, 09:45:48 pm
That was totally hilarious.  Bennett is something else.  There is something really funny about the fact that he is defiantly stupid.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 01, 2011, 09:54:20 pm
That made me laugh until I had a coughing fit. (Which isn't that hard since I have hell of bronchitis at the moment, but still.)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2011, 11:02:50 pm
Quote
Dope.Do U think he ate Linda and is puking her back up?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 02, 2011, 12:57:52 am
I am almost completely sure that the Bennett texts are fictional.

I am not sure beyond the shadow of a doubt but I am sure beyond a reasonable doubt.

The question is... should this make me enjoy them less? More?

What if they are based on a real person but exaggerated and expanded upon for comic effect?

Why does the level of fiction involved change our ability to appreciate it and why does this vary from person to person?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2011, 07:32:17 pm
My lady seems to enjoy movies or stories that are "based on a true story" more than those which are completely fictional.  Don't know what that's about.  She likes the 48 Hour crime shows more than the evening drama cop shows too.  Personally, I like my violence as fictional as possible.  That way I can pretend that people aren't really that horrible to each other.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 08:22:55 pm
I hate stuff that is "based on a true story." It is a way to suck people in who like true stories and then lie to them. And people seem to be very accepting of the truth of such things - I'm not saying they're stupid, but they don't seem to understand the way the process works, that the producers change whatever they think might be more interesting, and you can't tell what's real and what isn't. It doesn't mean "we are telling this true story as a TV show." It means "we are saying this so we can use just the parts of the story we like without getting in trouble."

And aside from being deceptive, creatively, it is lazy and dishonest. If you're too unimaginative to make up a story, then do something else for a living. Don't fuck with the truth.

Yes, I have a bee in my bonnet about this.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 09:10:59 pm
I hate stuff that is "based on a true story."

Stupid old Texas Chainsaw Massacre anyway.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 09:25:34 pm
I hate stuff that is "based on a true story." It is a way to suck people in who like true stories and then lie to them. And people seem to be very accepting of the truth of such things - I'm not saying they're stupid, but they don't seem to understand the way the process works, that the producers change whatever they think might be more interesting, and you can't tell what's real and what isn't. It doesn't mean "we are telling this true story as a TV show." It means "we are saying this so we can use just the parts of the story we like without getting in trouble."

And aside from being deceptive, creatively, it is lazy and dishonest. If you're too unimaginative to make up a story, then do something else for a living. Don't fuck with the truth.

I totally agree with this.  It doesn't prevent me from enjoying movies that are allegedly based on the truth, but I understand that the "truth" at play is mostly bullshit.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2011, 10:31:37 pm
Michael Oher (http://www.nfl.com/player/michaeloher/71419/profile) (as featured in The Blindside (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0878804/)) has something to say (http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/02/08/133590180/beyond-the-blind-side-michael-oher-rewrites-his-own-story) on the topic.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 10:40:25 pm
That's an interesting piece. It shows how what seems like a small change can be so wrong. You can see them thinking something like "Let's have her showing him how to play football, it's a shorthand for everything they did for him that has great visuals." But it's so deeply wrong.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 10:43:41 pm
Wait, didn't this used to be the link thread?

Yo, Is This Racist? (http://yoisthisracist.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2011, 11:27:41 pm
That's the first time I've seen "hate crimed" used like that.  Oh English, is there any noun you can't verb?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 11:50:56 pm
Wait, didn't this used to be the link thread?

Yo, Is This Racist? (http://yoisthisracist.com/)


Yo, just try to avoid “sorry, I meant, where did we get you from?”

Oh fuck I am sending that to my brother post-haste.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 03, 2011, 12:42:42 am
[[sad trombone]] (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/texts-not-from-bennett-765319)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2011, 05:54:31 am
Stupid old Texas Chainsaw Massacre anyway.

Wasn't that based on the same true story as Psycho and Silence of the Lambs?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2011, 01:43:35 pm
Wasn't that extremely loosely based on the same true story as Psycho and Silence of the Lambs?

Yes.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on December 03, 2011, 05:14:53 pm
[[sad trombone]] (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/texts-not-from-bennett-765319)

I was disappointed that it wasn't a link to a sad trombone (http://sadtrombone.com/).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2011, 06:00:31 pm
I was disappointed that it wasn't a link to a sad trombone (http://sadtrombone.com/).

Let's just be thankful it wasn't a link to a rusty trombone (and no, I didn't go find a link, because that would defeat the purpose. You want that you're on your own).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2011, 06:18:05 am
The twenty most important gifs of 2011 (http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2011/12/the-20-most-important-gifs-of-2011/#page/1).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on December 26, 2011, 11:42:38 pm
Can't figure out where else to put this, but I thought we needed it.
(http://i.imgur.com/4wwhM.jpg)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2011, 03:44:28 am
Has everyone seen Princess Vader (http://imgur.com/a/WPiIH)?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 04, 2012, 09:54:07 pm
Pretend that you can type like a hacker in the movies:

http://hackertyper.com

As Seen on TWITTER!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 05, 2012, 12:35:58 am
Pretend that you can type like a hacker in the movies:

http://hackertyper.com

As Seen on TWITTER!

EVERYONE MUST KNOW OF THIS!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on January 06, 2012, 12:31:32 am
Pure gold, JT.  Have a can.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 09, 2012, 03:38:14 pm
LA sci-fi convention, 1980. (http://imgur.com/a/KweSd)

Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 09, 2012, 04:54:35 pm
Thoughts I considered related to that link:

1) Huh.  Everyone thought the future would be more sparkly and shiny in 1980.
2) This is actual visual proof that we are getting fatter as a peope.  I think Dorks especially have seen a real physical decline since the whole PC in every home thing went down.
3) No, Melanie, these pictures will not eventually devolve into an orgy, no matter how much you hope they will
4) Is that a dude dressed like a lady?  I'm not sure... maybe that lady just has a dude face. Is that a dude dressed like a lady?  No that lady has the breasts and curves of a lady, but she also has a dude face.
5)  Clowns?  Clowns?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on January 09, 2012, 06:36:01 pm
Lots of hot nerd girls, for sure.  Sadly, that might have been the entire world's supply.  Sad for nerd boys that is.  Nerd girls had the world as their oyster.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2012, 05:07:29 pm
Lots of hot nerd girls, for sure.  Sadly, that might have been the entire world's supply.  Sad for nerd boys that is.  Nerd girls had the world as their oyster.

And still do.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 13, 2012, 01:10:58 am
rolling bed (http://www.etsy.com/listing/78329023/mood-rocking-bed?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Internal&utm_campaign=Merch)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on January 13, 2012, 03:19:53 am
Hopefully not.  It'd be rough getting dumped out of that thing.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2012, 04:54:13 am
Man, I just think about that carbon steel frame tearing up my wood floors.

Don't you have a barn you could put it in?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on January 14, 2012, 12:51:43 am
I would attribute such creativity to being stuck inside from bad weather too long, but this is what December on the Spanish Mediterranean is like:
(https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgO_TBiPpNK_Y0p3vaWlapC8ozyf34Hr8nJ12X2UPK-kwtosmo1Q)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on January 19, 2012, 02:18:20 pm
It's all about the eyebrows.

(http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luxaazQAZQ1qdippyo1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 08:43:03 pm
A little Groucho moustache probably would have been overdoing it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 10:13:48 pm
Have y'all seen these crazy things (http://www.joulies.com/)? A guy at work has a set. I'm considering buying them for my wife and also for a friend, because he likes science.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 19, 2012, 10:23:38 pm
Oh my God, that is some price, though! 
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 19, 2012, 11:22:47 pm
"Joulies are easy to maintain and very portable (throw in backpack, take out and use whenever needed), an absolute necessity for any college student."

When I was in college we used to laugh that we could get 20 mg of Adderal for the price of a starbucks.  Who the fuck would choose coffee we said.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 11:48:27 pm
They can say what they want, the only college students who are getting those are trust-funders.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 20, 2012, 05:08:39 am
Huh.  What a weird, some what useful, yet mostly unnecessary product at an absolutely unreasonable price.  I have the raddest tea mug in the world, and it will keep the tea searingly hot for six or more hours even in the coldest of winter-times, but the solution to it being too hot is just opening it for a few minutes, so it's hard to imagine why I'd want to do it any other way, with some additional thing that's taking up valuable tea space in my mug.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 05:46:08 pm
Huh.  What a weird, some what useful, yet mostly unnecessary product at an absolutely unreasonable price.  I have the raddest tea mug in the world, and it will keep the tea searingly hot for six or more hours even in the coldest of winter-times, but the solution to it being too hot is just opening it for a few minutes, so it's hard to imagine why I'd want to do it any other way, with some additional thing that's taking up valuable tea space in my mug.

I thought we all agreed that what we needed more of was science?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2012, 06:31:41 pm
I thought we all agreed that what we needed more of was science?

Yes, but science is all about coulda, not shoulda.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 20, 2012, 07:28:53 pm
But using the ambient temperature is all Science!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 10:42:16 pm
But using the ambient temperature is all Science!

That science is so old it might as well be witchcraft!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 20, 2012, 11:01:37 pm
So Jack is arguing the superiority of using magic beans...
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 11:02:35 pm
So Jack is arguing the superiority of using magic beans...

Ok, that was pretty good.

My only regret is that I have but one can to give an hour.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2012, 01:22:37 am
Thanks Nabu.

Here's something uncanny and disturbing:  Bevis and Butthead IRL. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattcherette/beavis-and-butthead-in-real-life)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2012, 04:50:20 am
That was certainly disturbing. As is this (http://www.buzzfeed.com/geekosystem.com/fleshlight-holding-ipad-case-is-just-as-creepy-as-2x6k), found at the same place.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on January 21, 2012, 06:30:50 am
That is the work of a goddamn genius.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on January 21, 2012, 06:54:05 am
Thanks Nabu.

Here's something uncanny and disturbing:  Bevis and Butthead IRL. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattcherette/beavis-and-butthead-in-real-life)
I've been working on a tool for diagnosis of genetic disorders for the past 10 months or so.  Those things hew a little to close to the bone at the moment.  Yikes.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2012, 09:43:52 pm
I know... the details.. the zits are ready to pop... the curled upper lip.  It's really something.

As for the flesh light iPad... I instantly worried what a pedophile would do.  I thought of someone who had wrong thoughts about Justin Beiber.  So no.  Just no.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 25, 2012, 11:39:46 pm
human leather goods (http://www.humanleather.co.uk/index.html)

i cant tell if thats real or not..... the links to product pages dont lead anywhere, so maybe its a joke.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 27, 2012, 12:18:55 am
Why did someone have to screw a monkey (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/26/gop-lawmaker-virtually-impossible-to-get-aids-through-heterosexual-sex/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29), asks Tennessee state senator.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 27, 2012, 12:56:09 am
And so begins the official countdown until Tennessee State Senator Stacey Campfield (R) is publicly outed for blowing three dudes in a Burger King bathroom.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on January 27, 2012, 01:30:33 am
Or screwing a monkey.

My favorite thing about these claims that HIV was inflicted upon the world to kill homosexuals? HIV transmission is uncommon among lesbians, so while God may hate fags, he loves himself some girl-on-girl action.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 27, 2012, 02:35:29 am
So he did make man in his own image.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on January 27, 2012, 02:35:45 am
Why did someone have to screw a monkey (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/26/gop-lawmaker-virtually-impossible-to-get-aids-through-heterosexual-sex/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29), asks Tennessee state senator.
What a pinhead.  By far - exponentially so - the most frequent transmission of HIV is in heterosexual intercourse.  Just because it happens to brown people on a different continent, I guess its not important.  The most likely event for cross species transfer (which may have happened several times and probably occurred between the late 1800's and the 1940's) was during bushmeat slaughter for subsistence hunters.  There is no connection between AIDS and morality.  To say otherwise is either bigoted, ignorant, or both. 
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on January 27, 2012, 03:07:59 am
So he did make man in his own image.

This man, anyway.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2012, 06:25:15 am
while God may hate fags, he loves himself some girl-on-girl action.

He likes to fuck little boys (http://youtu.be/kSnLsYbKLhQ) too, apparently.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on January 27, 2012, 03:07:14 pm
Quote from: stacey campfield, king of shitbags
“[Homosexuals] do not naturally reproduce,” he told Signorile. “It has not been proven that it is nature. It happens in nature, but so does beastiality.

beastiality? first, spelling. second, the hell? animals fuckin? yeah that happens in nature because ANIMALS GOT TO FUCK TO MAKE MORE ANIMALS. this guy's a real winner.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 27, 2012, 04:06:43 pm
There is no connection between AIDS and morality.  To say otherwise is either bigoted, ignorant, or both. 

Thank you. 

I can not express how damaging it is for someone to have a public platform and make claims that actually endanger the health of the people who hear him. 
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on January 27, 2012, 09:23:44 pm
I hate memes, especially cat-based memes, but this is pretty terrific: http://thekittencovers.tumblr.com/post/12490269231

(I didn't miss this already being posted, did I?)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on January 27, 2012, 11:28:26 pm
You missed the thread it belongs in anyway. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,6171.0.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 28, 2012, 01:27:35 am
jon stewart tearing up the pit at an 80s punk show (http://gawker.com/5880063/)(just a pic)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on January 28, 2012, 06:25:18 am
jon stewart tearing up the pit at an 80s punk show (http://gawker.com/5880063/)(just a pic)

Oh my word.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 08, 2012, 01:30:29 am
119 random and cool(but not necessarily amazing) facts (http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/112207)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on February 09, 2012, 01:39:52 pm
This was a nice thing to see after just waking up. (http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf)  Puts things in perspective.  Actually puts things in perspective.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 09, 2012, 02:27:25 pm
This was a nice thing to see after just waking up. (http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf)  Puts things in perspective.  Actually puts things in perspective.

i only looked at it for about 5 minutes but i got so zoned into it that i started slobbering on myself.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on February 09, 2012, 04:16:29 pm
This was a nice thing to see after just waking up. (http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf)  Puts things in perspective.  Actually puts things in perspective.

I never heard of any Cruithne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 09, 2012, 07:41:22 pm
This was a nice thing to see after just waking up. (http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf)  Puts things in perspective.  Actually puts things in perspective.

So good.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on February 10, 2012, 01:16:03 am
"Lengths shorter than this are not confirmed"
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2012, 02:27:17 am
"Lengths shorter than this are not confirmed"

That's what SHE said! Ha ha ha ha . . . wait. I fucked that up.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2012, 03:00:48 pm
Bent art (http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/02/objects-come-to-life-with-photographers-bent-sense-of-humor/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29&pid=1775&viewall=true)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 24, 2012, 01:44:51 am
cash mobs (http://cashmobs.wordpress.com/about-us/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 14, 2012, 06:44:55 am
harmless hunter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2026168289/harmless-hunter?ref=category)

kind of interesting, but it takes all the fun out of actually shooting critters or things or people.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2012, 03:59:42 pm
Animals are delicious, but getting them from where they live to your table is a butt-load of work.

They don't live in those little styrofoam trays? Huh.


Alaska's been debating whether to make it legal for everyone to sell trophies/mounts. It is currently legal for estates and divorcees to sell them.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on March 17, 2012, 06:37:32 am
From Best of Craigslist: Math Does Not Suck. You Do. (http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/fay/2798952116.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2012, 01:35:49 pm
Don't like. Why throw greater incentives on trophy hunting than there already are? If you build a horn and cape industry you're going to have to police the shit out of it.

That's been the issue since ever. They really don't want it to be incentivized, which is why they only just now started allowing people who get stuck with shit after a divorce (you get the house and everything in it, including my brown bear mount) to sell them. Estates have always been able to sell stuff. However, some folks want it wide open. I don't think it'll fly. I believe that taxidermists who get stuck with stuff still can't sell it, but I'm not sure I am remembering correctly.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2012, 06:28:28 am
It hits her in the head every time.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2012, 07:36:51 pm
It hits her in the head every time.

And this TCoDP is going to hit you, too.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 20, 2012, 09:59:07 am
a coloring book from out in left field (http://imgur.com/a/bW2Dy)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2012, 02:58:43 pm
a coloring book from out in left field (http://imgur.com/a/bW2Dy)

I want that.

Cornell is clearly playing a bass.

"Walter Pigeon" - that was probably too tempting to resist.

And then at the end, 1973. Wow.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on March 20, 2012, 04:11:40 pm
And then at the end, 1973. Wow.
The bit about losing the dime in the pay phone tipped me to the era.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2012, 05:35:00 pm
Good point.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2012, 07:27:14 pm
And then at the end, 1973. Wow.

This coloring book sums up what I have been trying to articulate for years.  The 70s were the coolest time in American History.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2012, 07:54:07 pm
Well, I'll go with the 40s, but it sure seems like living in an era makes it seem unpleasant (he says, as he carries on a discussion with people all over the world that he's never met).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 28, 2012, 10:17:32 pm
Postman's Park (http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history/2012/03/on-heroic-self-sacrifice-a-london-park-devoted-to-those-most-worth-remembering/) really got my attention today (http://carolineld.blogspot.com/p/postmans-park.html).

EXCEPTIONAL!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 30, 2012, 06:12:43 am
what patton oswalt is really saying is, "you current 'nerds' get off my lawn!" (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekculture/all/1)

he has a point, but the first 2 comments("Greylurk" and "TonyGoldmark") are right on the money, as well.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on April 05, 2012, 06:11:54 pm
The Astrodome. (http://desli.de/?o=html_table_fs&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonpress.com%2Fslideshow%2F8th-wonder-a-tour-of-houstons-rotting-astrodome-36498114%2F%231)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2012, 07:12:08 pm
The Astrodome. (http://desli.de/?o=html_table_fs&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonpress.com%2Fslideshow%2F8th-wonder-a-tour-of-houstons-rotting-astrodome-36498114%2F%231)

I know, it's a crying shame, isn't it.

I prefer to remember the Astrodome like this (http://youtu.be/ZLY83kvIBDA).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 06, 2012, 06:51:11 pm
I didn't know that the Astrodome wasn't a thing anymore.  In my mind the Padres still play at Jack Murphy stadium.  If it happened after I left, I can be in denial.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2012, 10:09:46 pm
I didn't know that the Astrodome wasn't a thing anymore.

It's been out of commission for about 15 years, really.  I took this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5575637016/) photo last year.  This photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/7051874697/in/photostream) was taken the last time I was there, In 2004.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 07, 2012, 08:16:43 pm
WTF, now I read that the Astros are moving to the American League next year?  These things make me confused and angry.

DAAAMMNN YYOOOUUU  OOOBBAAAAMMAAAAA!

Nice pics, btw.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 08, 2012, 02:14:20 am
You'd think they'd just send the Brewers back over there, but noooooooooo.  Apparently the Astros want to get a rivalry going with the Texas Rangers.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2012, 08:56:26 am
I've nothing against the American League, but fuck that noise. I've been rooting for the National league all my goddamn life.  How the hell am I supposed to switch loyalties now?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on April 12, 2012, 04:49:05 pm
A link (http://www.governmentfreevjj.com/) for our politically interested, knitting contingent.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 12, 2012, 07:23:01 pm
wow.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 12, 2012, 08:17:04 pm
I hesitate to think of the potential situation arising from leaving James Inhofe alone in close proximity to a crocheted vulva.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2012, 01:49:52 am
I had something to say, but I don't think it really applies.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 14, 2012, 03:38:08 pm
the racist tree (http://i.imgur.com/upuAg.jpg)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 16, 2012, 07:54:59 pm
I'm sure wombat has already Seen Every Wombat Thing, but just in case:
https://twitter.com/#!/petersagal/status/146752011155673088/photo/1
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on April 18, 2012, 08:00:23 am
I've nothing against the American League, but fuck that noise. I've been rooting for the National league all my goddamn life.  How the hell am I supposed to switch loyalties now?

When the Seahawks went back to the NFC West about a decade ago I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I see a lot less of the Broncos. On the other, there are fewer chances to improve our record against the Broncos. Also, the NFC West is really boring. BUT, the Seahawks can now meet the Broncos in the Super Bowl. It was SO CLOSE for Super Bowl XL. fuck*ng Steelers. And we would have crushed them. Have I mentioned before that there are only a few things I desire more than a Super Bowl victory over the Broncos?

Anyway, change in sports is almost never a good thing (I think I've mentioned before that I am still nostalgic for the Kingdome even though Seattle has a beautiful ballpark and football stadium), so I feel for you. But for me, if the Mariners were to switch to the NL the problem wouldn't be switching loyalties, because I hate more AL teams than NL teams. I can't remember the last time I rooted for the AL in the World Series. But yeah, it sucks.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2012, 09:18:28 am
I'm sure wombat has already Seen Every Wombat Thing

Yeah, but she's not going to go all Tommy Triangle on us.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2012, 12:33:39 pm
I have seen it, but everyone else should see it, so posting it is the right thing to do. The story behind it is not as wonderous and mysterious as one might hope, so I recommend not investigating further, just enjoy it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2012, 03:43:45 pm
I have seen it, but everyone else should see it, so posting it is the right thing to do. The story behind it is not as wonderous and mysterious as one might hope, so I recommend not investigating further, just enjoy it.

Twitter is asking me to sign in to see that.  Is it worth looking up my password for?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 04:15:31 pm
I'm not signing up just to read that - I've read other twitter things without it, so I don't know why it would be fuck*ng with me today.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 19, 2012, 06:17:04 pm
Try this:  http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/9447566-418/yo-yo-ma-and-a-wombat-meet-on-a-bathroom-floor-seriously.html
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 19, 2012, 09:42:38 pm
Why not:
(http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/choke.gif)
This made me laugh for like 20 minutes.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on April 21, 2012, 02:45:56 pm
Ahhhhh!   Eye gouging!  When I reacted to something in that clip my dog came and sat beside me with worried eyes.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 23, 2012, 08:10:19 pm
babies grow up. (http://vimeo.com/40448182)  its sad.  its exciting.  its beautiful.  i guess.

"Meet Lotte, whose filmmaker dad got her to ham for the camera once a week from birth to age 12, then turned the footage into this gem of a time lapse video."
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2012, 08:56:20 pm
Levitating woman (http://yowayowacamera.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 10:42:33 pm
babies grow up. (http://vimeo.com/40448182)  its sad.  its exciting.  its beautiful.  i guess.

"Meet Lotte, whose filmmaker dad got her to ham for the camera once a week from birth to age 12, then turned the footage into this gem of a time lapse video."

I guess maybe the cool thing about me not liking kids is I don't spend enough time around them to be blase about this video. Strangely affecting.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 24, 2012, 11:41:51 am
I guess maybe the cool thing about me not liking kids is I don't spend enough time around them to be blase about this video. Strangely affecting.

the "i guess" was because since i dont have my own kids, the video didnt hit me in the heart as hard as it might, if i did.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2012, 02:38:37 pm
That video was pretty rad.  It was strange how occasionally she would look much older then suddenly be young again.  Different expressions or hairstyles maybe.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 24, 2012, 04:26:48 pm
I noticed the hairstyle thing, definitely. It surprised me what a difference that made.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on April 24, 2012, 10:39:27 pm
Sometimes when I look at my own 10-year old daughter I have memory flashes of her much younger selves.  This composite was a lot like that, plus there's a good resemblance between Lotte and my kid.  Kinda misty eyed at the moment.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2012, 01:49:26 am
I want you heretics to see what Jough used to cook his birthday dinner (http://twitpic.com/9e5moy).

VIVA EL GUAPO!!!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on April 29, 2012, 01:41:25 am
This seems like the kind of thing you people would enjoy.
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home (http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on April 29, 2012, 02:54:23 am
Wombles, that is dope.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2012, 06:51:58 am
This seems like the kind of thing you people would enjoy.
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home (http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home)

Wow, that's like, 99% of what gets posted on Facebook.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 04, 2012, 03:28:53 am
vulgar? (https://twitter.com/#!/TweetsofOld/status/198218453847511041)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 15, 2012, 03:09:27 pm
Motion-induced blindness (http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on May 15, 2012, 08:35:05 pm
Now that is a flippin' trip.  I wonder what's the neurology behind that.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 02:50:09 pm
What your state is good/bad at, enviro edition (http://www.upworthy.com/maps-what-your-state-is-good-at-and-what-its-lame-at?g=3&c=cd1). Somewhat entertaining, but clearly the person who put it together mailed it in on a few of these. "Burial place of Johnny Appleseed"? Indiana, you can do better.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2012, 04:07:06 pm
"most Ozarks"...yeah, I think some of these were mailed in.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on May 16, 2012, 09:18:16 pm
I don't know how fair it is to lay "Most airports per capita" at Alaska's feet.  Air travel is probably less environmentally destructive than blasting roadways through thousands of miles of sub-arctic wildlands and mountain ranges.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 16, 2012, 10:30:22 pm
And really, for the land mass those airports are serving, that's not too bad.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 17, 2012, 10:43:27 pm
Bring 'em back, Nabu! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Lawrence_Oates_photo.jpg)

What in the dogg -

Hey, also, I made it on Y,itR (http://yoisthisracist.com/post/23251948014/i-work-with-people-who-talk-shit-about-our-it#notes)!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 12:37:34 am
I caught that, after looking at it and thinking for a bit, but I did not put it together with 'bring back the quote'. I couldn't connect it. I need more sleep.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on May 18, 2012, 01:53:33 am
Hey, also, I made it on Y,itR (http://yoisthisracist.com/post/23251948014/i-work-with-people-who-talk-shit-about-our-it#notes)!

I'm jealous, he's never answered any of my questions.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on May 18, 2012, 01:56:28 am
He has another blog now too: Yo, Should I Dump This Asshole? (http://yoshouldidumpthisahole.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 18, 2012, 05:31:38 am
What in the dogg -

Hey, also, I made it on Y,itR (http://yoisthisracist.com/post/23251948014/i-work-with-people-who-talk-shit-about-our-it#notes)!

fuck*ng dope.  I am pretty much down to touamb, y, itr? and pointforward (SI NBA blog) as far as my internet time goes.  I was a little worried I was going to have to hate you, but no, it was awesome!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 01:38:20 pm
I'm inordinately pleased about it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on May 18, 2012, 04:34:33 pm
Did everyone see the lowest difficulty setting (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/)? I would guess it was posted around here somewhere but I didn't see it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jay-ell on May 19, 2012, 05:57:31 pm
If Ash had a daughter I'd swear this was him:

(http://chzparentingfails.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/crazy-parenting-fails-no-funny-business.png)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 21, 2012, 07:49:30 pm
Play this. (http://nothingsgonnastopmenow.com/) Play it now.  There are no words... only dreams.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 21, 2012, 08:11:50 pm
Play this. (http://nothingsgonnastopmenow.com/) Play it now.  There are no words... only dreams.
I keep getting boned on the flying part. DAMN YOU THIRD DIMENSION!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on May 22, 2012, 10:37:05 am
(http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/wtf-photos-videos-untitled.gif)

Kind of startling, I know, but I'm assuming most of us have read Sandman?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Doc on May 22, 2012, 11:41:59 am
Play this. (http://nothingsgonnastopmenow.com/) Play it now.  There are no words... only dreams.

This kind of reminds me of ***** Unicorn Attack. It fills me with indescribable joy.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 22, 2012, 04:46:25 pm
This kind of reminds me of ***** Unicorn Attack. It fills me with indescribable joy.

I tend to have songs in the background of my dreams, and I awoke with the theme song playing in my head.  So good. 
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 22, 2012, 10:09:27 pm
(http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/wtf-photos-videos-untitled.gif)

that is amazing, but fuck you for the nightmare fuel.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2012, 11:05:36 pm
That reminds me of this which freaked me the hell out when I first saw it.

(http://i.imgur.com/NeQN1.gif)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on May 25, 2012, 04:51:56 am
Yeah, holy shit. Thanks dude, I'm just getting ready for bed.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2012, 12:52:02 pm
That reminds me of this which freaked me the hell out when I first saw it.

(http://i.imgur.com/NeQN1.gif)

Reminds me of less creepy, but equally entrancing collection of images. (http://cinemagraphs.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 25, 2012, 01:17:50 pm
an actual flock of seagulls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GjGq08x5A)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on May 31, 2012, 02:31:22 am
We all need this sometimes. (http://calmingmanatee.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 01, 2012, 04:08:20 pm
The Fifty Shades of Grey Experiment (http://www.zug.com/live/89639/The-Fifty-Shades-of-Grey-Experiment.html#1054227095)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 02, 2012, 03:59:07 am
I don't know if I'd like this roomy or murderize him. (http://i.imgur.com/l8niC.jpg)

cut it right down the middle and punch him in either kidney.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on June 02, 2012, 05:25:55 am
He's sufficiently fond of parenthetical statements that he'd fit right in here.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 03, 2012, 04:10:37 pm
guitar pee (http://vimeo.com/41910679)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: miles on June 20, 2012, 05:06:02 am
Pixar Artist Turns R-Rated Films Into Cute Storybook (http://mashable.com/2012/06/19/pixar-artist-storybook-films/#view_as_one_page-gallery_box6071)

No. 17 made me think of Nabu.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on July 27, 2012, 01:54:05 pm
Some of the cutest photos I've seen, and you can just feel the love this dad has for his kids. (http://www.boredpanda.com/creative-kids-photography-jason-lee/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2012, 06:22:12 pm
Some of the cutest photos I've seen, and you can just feel the love this dad has for his kids. (http://www.boredpanda.com/creative-kids-photography-jason-lee/)

Love!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on August 14, 2012, 01:23:16 am
The Dude Has Got No Mercy (http://www.cracked.com/article_19970_5-celebrity-instructional-videos-theyd-like-you-to-forget.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on September 27, 2012, 02:59:19 am
Stolen from Twitter: @pourmecoffee Not going to read the story, can't be as good as the headline plus my imagination. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=buddhist-iron-man-found
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on September 27, 2012, 05:24:48 pm
No kidding!  SciAm must have been channeling I09 that day.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on September 29, 2012, 03:09:08 am
I found this (http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/alec-baldwin-just-a-lazy-shiftless-bastard/) quite funny.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on October 15, 2012, 11:29:01 pm
Trying to put my finger on why this disturbs me so. (http://www.nohomophobes.com/#!/today/)  I think it's because each time I've looked at it the tweets are coming up so fast I can't even read them.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 16, 2012, 12:03:32 am
Man that is a depressing website.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2012, 02:29:30 am
Dang!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2012, 02:31:14 am
I think it's because each time I've looked at it the tweets are coming up so fast I can't even read them.

You can pause the feed.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: side_show on October 16, 2012, 10:46:50 am
You can pause the feed.

I know... it's more that there's more hate being put out there than I, or anyone can process.  That's what makes it disturbing.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jay-ell on October 17, 2012, 02:01:01 pm
ASH

HEY ASH

(https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/10/15/te-3wrmCzkm9YI_T46ZjRA2.jpg)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 18, 2012, 01:32:56 am
asherdan, youre such a mean dad.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 22, 2012, 12:57:34 am
That is totally the devil's face I want tattooed on the head of my c*ck.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 27, 2012, 09:53:43 pm
I have no idea what this is (http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/15hqou/global_conspiracy_we_all_take_part_in/c7mnpz2) but I love it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 28, 2012, 12:28:14 am
Yeah, that is Fing awesome- from comments: you want to know who you are you go to the desert by yourself and don't leave til you want to stay.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2012, 02:18:48 am
I have no idea what this is (http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/15hqou/global_conspiracy_we_all_take_part_in/c7mnpz2) but I love it.

Sounds like he's trying to channel Hemingway.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on January 04, 2013, 11:10:22 pm
Everyone knew about the LOC FLICKR (http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/2179038448/in/set-72157603671370361/) except me, right?

Holy damns!

Yeah, that's some good stuff. The White House (http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/8340843011/) has one as well. What other famous entities have a Flickr?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2013, 12:29:24 am
There are other libraries and museums that have them and now I can't remember any of them. I know I once spent an hour or so looking at photos from the state library or something of New Zealand. The National Zoo has one.

Edit: I just remembered they have a list!
http://www.flickr.com/commons/institutions/ (http://www.flickr.com/commons/institutions/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on February 02, 2013, 09:18:53 am
A lot of the take-downs on here (http://four-pins.com/style/breaking-down-todays-biggest-posers/) reminded me of Ray. Actually, everything on this site reminds me of if Ray was a 24 year old who was really into men's fashion. I love it.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on February 03, 2013, 09:45:56 am
Hah, "old ass fuck motorcycle." I'd like to see what one looks like.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 04, 2013, 11:05:32 pm
O M F G (http://www.ltdartgallery.com/category/current-exhibition)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on February 05, 2013, 10:30:52 pm
Tom Hanks' son took a picture of this painting my friend made (http://instagram.com/p/UaRjzIotz-/). Apparently it is hanging in some comedy club in LA.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 05, 2013, 11:23:18 pm
That's pretty cool.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Mr Trout on February 20, 2013, 05:06:06 am
This is most definitely the funniest fake menu I've ever read: http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 20, 2013, 11:13:32 am
This is most definitely the funniest fake menu I've ever read: http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com

canned.  i saw that a second ago on the twitters.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2013, 02:32:19 pm
It's good, but it's similar to this, which I may have posted previously. http://www.fuckedinparkslope.com/home/who-handed-out-these-hilarious-fake-menus-at-googamooga-over.html
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 10, 2013, 06:32:53 am
BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM UNGH UNGH UNGH UNGH! UNNNNNNGH! UNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHH!

UUUUUUNNNNNGGGGHHHHH!

(http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/archer-pam-falafel-hump.gif)

pam is my cartoon crush.  she is every kind of nasty awesomeness.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on April 15, 2013, 06:24:24 pm
(http://imgur.com/t7msi18.gif)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on April 18, 2013, 07:33:58 pm
I like how his finger is clear of the trigger - even for the effect of the picture.  Safe handling.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 24, 2013, 05:57:56 pm
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/24/mars-rover-draws-giant-phallus-on-red-planet/
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2013, 09:58:54 pm
Reminds me of this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5218777464/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 08, 2013, 02:44:53 am
Good Lord!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2013, 03:17:53 am
Man. Today I looked at my roommate's girlfriend's tumblr, where she posts her drawings and prints. Some of them have been reposted by literally 15,000 people (http://bigdumps.tumblr.com/post/36709420062/feel-ease)? Can that be true? It seems like the goofy ones get reblogged, and the intense ones (http://bigdumps.tumblr.com/image/37083445813) do not.

She is infuriating as a person, but I am pretty impressed by her art.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 08, 2013, 04:17:34 am
Some of them have been reposted by literally 15,000 people (http://bigdumps.tumblr.com/post/36709420062/feel-ease)?

I don't understand that at all. Not why it got reposted 15K times, well, I don't understand that either, but I don't understand the art. What do those words mean in that context?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2013, 04:44:45 am
I guess that you should feel at ease? I don't get it either.

(http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr05/2013/5/7/10/enhanced-buzz-30302-1367937997-25.jpg)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 08, 2013, 04:51:20 am
I guess that you should feel at ease? I don't get it either.

(http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr05/2013/5/7/10/enhanced-buzz-30302-1367937997-25.jpg)

This one actually makes more sense.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 16, 2013, 04:53:06 am
Vigroids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigroids) liquorice candies used to be called "Nigroids". When did they change the name? 2010, of course.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2013, 08:11:20 pm
You didn't know she had the depression?  Or that she had posted again?  Or both?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2013, 10:42:35 pm
There's something about that strip that's very off putting to me.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on May 23, 2013, 05:39:35 pm
It's not easy sledding, that is for sure.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 25, 2013, 04:33:04 am
http://www.amazon.com/World-Champs-Medium-Distressed-Black/dp/B00AWHU484/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_syTNrbE1E040409E_im
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on May 25, 2013, 04:40:41 am
I think I really like that a lot.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on June 05, 2013, 09:31:36 pm
We've talked about this. (http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on June 26, 2013, 07:17:18 pm
Todd Todd Todd Todd T. Squirrel. (http://imgur.com/T7HQais)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on June 26, 2013, 07:47:37 pm
Good Lord!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on June 26, 2013, 09:30:22 pm
I now have a visual for "hung like a squirrel".  Didn't really need it though.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 05, 2013, 09:57:49 pm
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/d6a21a7d8ad536f60901a024c8545670/tumblr_moxf5xhSYF1s8p90mo1_500.gif)

that friendship will never be the same.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2013, 12:46:57 pm
The last word on a currently overdone topic in the internet:
20 Amazing True Facts About Introverts and Extroverts (http://coyot.es/crossing/2013/07/09/20-amazing-true-facts-about-introverts-and-extroverts/)

Quote
Extroverts must swim constantly: if they stop, they will suffocate.

Introverts never have to drink water. They can get all the water they need from reading books.

According to the principles of aerodynamics, extroverts should be incapable of flight. However, no one ever told  extroverts this. Well actually they tried, but the extroverts didn’t listen.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on July 12, 2013, 02:11:37 pm
Werner Herzog is the funniest man alive. www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zWH_9VRWn8Y (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zWH_9VRWn8Y)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on July 12, 2013, 03:54:56 pm
agreed (http://www.earwolf.com/episode/ride-like-hell/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2013, 03:10:31 am
agreed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPJBd7gniw)

double agreed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEJjjVrL1tY)

agreed for life. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0aAv0lJ3s)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on July 16, 2013, 06:02:26 pm
That is really interesting.  I'm not a rabid fan of his, but I have definitely enjoyed some of his work and yet I had no idea he was a Runner.  It lead me to a second surprise, and that was Googling for his photo.  He looks nothing like my mental picture of him, which was no doubt heavily weighted by the way he represents himself in his comic (as a balding doughboy).  It all actually hangs together pretty well in the larger analysis - he admits he is running from what he perceives as his secret self, his identity as a former fat kid.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on July 19, 2013, 03:01:07 am
oh yes he di'. (http://www.soundslice.com/tabs/5680/bohemian-rhapsody-for-solo-guitar-tab/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on July 25, 2013, 07:05:09 am
Salavator Kill (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/low_concept/2013/07/carlos_danger_name_generator_use_our_widget_to_get_a_name_like_anthony_weiner.html) would be a fine alias.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on July 25, 2013, 05:27:55 pm
Armando Calamity!  Beats the Carl Reilly moniker I used to use while being stupid.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on July 25, 2013, 06:26:57 pm
I am Fernando Evil.  Eeeeeeevil.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on July 25, 2013, 07:34:07 pm
Suuuuuuure. Suuuuuuuured you are Fernando. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_-6XQyIq0)

Hey, if I had to do it all again...
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2013, 07:37:15 pm
Suuuuuuure. Suuuuuuuured you are Fernando. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_-6XQyIq0)

I knew what was coming, but still I didn't care.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on July 26, 2013, 02:44:23 am
Sad Rap (https://soundcloud.com/rapgamewarrensapp-1/little-pain-smh-broke-boyz) is apparently a thing? Little Pain is the saddest MC
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2013, 07:00:20 am
Sad Rap (https://soundcloud.com/rapgamewarrensapp-1/little-pain-smh-broke-boyz)

Wow!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on August 11, 2013, 03:50:05 am
i couldn't find the online games thread so here: dungeon robber (http://blogofholding.com/dungeonrobber/) is a single-player d&d game that generates its maps via dice rolls, according to rules from the first edition book. so far i've retired a yeoman, tavernkeeper, merchant, gentleman, mayor, knight, bishop, and countess. up next: starting from scratch and aiming at a duke, which requires 40k XP. i'm also playing on the basic difficulty, not the advanced one, so once i finish that i've still got more fun to have with this toy.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on August 11, 2013, 05:36:58 am
I like this game.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on August 11, 2013, 05:53:40 am
i just retired my duke :)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on August 11, 2013, 06:20:59 am
So awesome.  I used to play for hours solo like this.  Thanks.  Just killed 2 more.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on August 11, 2013, 06:29:29 am
It is hard, though. A little too random for me.

Lately I am getting back into Dwarf Fortress. The perennial frustration: why doesn't it let me specify that I want a starting site with sedimentary rock? I can specify other things, but not that. And yet, you can't get iron or coal without sedimentary rock, which means you can't really go anywhere in terms of a military. Little things like this drive me nuts in a way that the insane interface doesn't. I can understand the thought process behind all the weird menus and key combinations. But some features like this really frustrate me. Another one is not having a good way to specify which material to use for certain tasks. You can say "grind nuts/seeds" at your mill, but you can't specify which nuts/seeds to grind... so sometimes they grab the wrong combination and grind, for instance, every single grain of wheat. So I can't plant any wheat the next year. Come on!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on August 14, 2013, 04:44:12 am
(http://i.imgur.com/4VOfFFe.png) (http://i.imgur.com/4VOfFFe.png)
that's some rad equipment yo

(http://i.imgur.com/sUjF34T.png) (http://i.imgur.com/sUjF34T.png)
somebody in every job - each new job shows a new building in the village.

now to play advanced!
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2013, 02:31:16 am
Impressive patience, dude!

Lorelei?  Is she a Gilmore Gnome?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2013, 01:51:25 pm
Fascinating series of articles on a tipless restaurant and the role that tipping plays in our society. (http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2013, 05:38:23 pm
That is really interesting, thanks.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on August 15, 2013, 06:11:31 pm
Having a job where I don't get tipped (and am supposed to politely decline tips if offered) and living with people who survive on tips, I am really interested in the dynamics of tipping. Overtipping for the relatively cheap foods I get when I eat out always makes me feel really good. Such a tiny gesture can make a big difference in someone's day, which I appreciate. I would also be interested in learning about the history of tipping-- the divisions between who gets tipped and who doesn't get tipped seem so arbitrary. I will look for this information after I take this GRE practice test, and let you guys know.

I have a really hard time communicating "I really appreciate the gesture, but I'm not supposed to take tips" without it seeming like I'm sending a secret message. I am not trying to say "wah wah I can't take tips." I'm not trying to imply that you should try harder to tip me. I am also not offended that you are trying to tip me. I'm just required to inform you that you don't have to tip me. Sometimes people ask questions and I manage to get this across, but a lot of the time people make a pity face or an angry face. I don't want anyone to feel stressed out about this.

Similar problems occur when I am passing pedestrians on my bike (when I bike through the park on pedestrian/bike shared paths). "Excuse me" or "on your left" always feels like I am demanding that they get out of the way. I just want to indicate "don't be alarmed, but I am passing you, so don't start weaving." Probably "passing on your left, thanks!" Or, you know, getting the fuck over it because no one cares. But there is definitely a flip-side to midwestern politeness where people get MAD if they think you aren't being sufficiently polite. At work if I don't say "excuse me!" when I walk too close to a customer sometimes people get all pissy. And their definition of "too close" is really extreme considering how tight quarters can be in a grocery store.

inevs gotta inev.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2013, 09:14:58 pm
Here's a whole book about tipping with some history in it, if I recall correctly.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VIWNWQ/ref=oh_d__o04_details_o04__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VIWNWQ/ref=oh_d__o04_details_o04__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on August 16, 2013, 12:02:23 am
Imagine my disappointment when I realized the discussion wasn't about topless restaurants.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2013, 03:12:38 am
And their definition of "too close" is really extreme considering how tight quarters can be in a grocery store.

I have lost my patience with people who block the aisle in the grocery store. I mean seriously, what the hell is it with people these days? I can't seem to go to the store without at least one inconsiderate person blocking the aisle. Part of the problem I'll admit is the store's fault because the aisles have become narrower and the carts are bigger. Which means the need for courtesy is greater than ever. So don't leave your cart in the center of the aisle while you spend 10 minutes trying to figure out which brand of cereal to buy and I won't be forced to ram your cart out of the way.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 16, 2013, 04:10:24 am
I have literally never used a grocery cart!

Edit: I actually probably have at like a hardware store, but never to buy groceries.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on August 16, 2013, 06:05:15 am
(http://i.imgur.com/EeHKlgB.png) (http://i.imgur.com/EeHKlgB.png)

lol
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on August 16, 2013, 01:21:56 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/EeHKlgB.png) (http://i.imgur.com/EeHKlgB.png)

lol

Dang, that kobold was pretty fearsome.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on August 16, 2013, 04:56:17 pm
For a while I was the opposite of a Monty-Haul DM.  My players eventually got used to high infant character mortality, and waited until they had leveled up a bit before developing their characters back stories and whatnot.  I eased off a bit eventually, but still had a rep as a "killer GM" in the gaming club I belonged to at college.  People seemed to enjoy it though; I usually had the highest player counts of the various campaigns that were going on.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on August 27, 2013, 12:12:58 pm
Oh yes... oohh yesssss... http://youtu.be/hPzaMJYoImk?t=2m40s
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 02:57:18 pm
Science hasn't solved every mystery of life. There is still yet much more that we don't know than what we do. That doesn't prove the existence of God.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on August 27, 2013, 06:01:22 pm
That doesn't prove the existence of God.

No one is trying to prove that, hoss. Just sassily *demonstrating* that Science is only a narrow compartmentalization of knowledge, and scientists should shut their trap when tempted to talk about something else than polymers and shit (those 5 items Craig listed will never be explained by Science, simply because Science cannot be everything and still be Science. That's why we have separate fields of knowledge: Mathematics, Ethics, Aesthetics... if Science could have any saying in those areas, it wouldn't be Science anymore, it would have become... well, Mathematics, Ethics, Aesthetics etc.)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2013, 06:21:04 pm
Perhaps its splitting hairs, but science is a way of understanding and communicating knowledge - not knowledge itself.  How do you know what you know?  If you can describe it with logic and numbers, if you can reproduce the event predictably, if its occurrence is independent of bias on the observer's part, then it is science.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on August 27, 2013, 06:27:01 pm
If you can describe it with logic and numbers, if you can reproduce the event predictably, if its occurrence is independent of bias on the observer's part, then it is science.

Yes, exactly. I just liked the video because it's rare to see a man of science being caught with his ##### down (if you see the continuation of the debate you'll see Atkins is dumbfounded and can't find a straight answer for Craig), and it clearly illustrates how arrogant (and wrong) scientists get when they try to talk about faith.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 06:32:14 pm
I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but mathematics isn't science?

I disagree that science will never be able to explain ethics, aesthetics, etc... I don't believe that anything is unknowable. Already science has made inroads into understanding Ethics and aesthetics. For instance, scientific research has identified and detailed the relationship between certain colors and mood. And you can't hardly turn on All Things Considered without learning about some behavioral study that tells us something new about human behavior. Sure, it's rudimentary and up to this point has mostly served to quantify what is already known, but it's a start.

And that speaker was totally arguing in favor of the existence of God.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on August 27, 2013, 06:58:05 pm
I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but mathematics isn't science?

Nope. Science deals with concrete, measurable, repeatable facts of the world (for instance, the acceleration rate of a car, or the right combination of substances to achieve a certain chemical result). Mathematics deals with abstract concepts (numbers, sets, infinity etc). Science employs Mathematics sometimes, and that's it.

A good brain exercise is asking yourself: "Are numbers real?". If you say "of course they are", then follows the question "Well, have you ever seen/touched/smelled/licked one"? To which the answer obviously can only be "No". We've all seen graphic representations of numbers, but not the numbers themselves. Because they have another type of existence: A metaphysical existence (in contrast with physical existence -- which is the rightful domain of Science) and I'm not gonna shock the present company if I tell you that metaphysical existence is the same type of existence that Metaphysics attributes to our ol' pal God (and, you know, it makes sense... I mean, would the Creator be contained, physically, within the Creation? To my mind it would be like trying to make a big bowl fit in a smaller bowl: impossible. Jesus, who according to tradition is God incarnate, came down here only for a limited amount of time. And all major religions stress the fact that we're separate from the Father).

This distinction already signals that there are areas where Science becomes useless: would you ask for romantic advice from a scientist, in his capacity as a scientist? I certainly wouldn't. What good could come from me knowing that love is probably an interaction of chemical particles and electricity?

Now, back to the question about numbers, if you say "Of course numbers are not real", then follows the question, "Well, then how all these bridges, overpasses and buildings remain erect (let alone the fact that they ever got to be built at all)?" They were built with calculations which employed numbers, so these numbers gotta have *some sort* of existence, otherwise it wouldn't have worked in the real world.

Already you see the subject is more complicated (and way, way, way more interesting) than the usual "faith is dumb, science is smart" that people like Dawkins hock for a living. I hope this explains why I find this subject endlessly fascinating.

I'm gonna come back to your other points in a bit, if that's ok.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2013, 07:53:11 pm
Sure, in a literal sense numbers exist in the metaphysical plane, but the calculations they represent apply in the physical world. If math isn't science then it is a tool of scientists.

I'm not sure I would discount the input of a scientist in regards to questions of romance. Like I stated before science has made inroads into understanding human behavior. Of course I'm no Mr. Spock when it comes to love.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2013, 08:52:52 pm
So you're saying science can't study god, because he isn't factual? He's made up like art and ethics and aesthetics and math? I guess I am OK with that.

The other day this very nice girl at work found out one of us was an atheist (not me, I stayed the fuck away from that convo) and couldn't even get her mindset outside of believing in god. You don't believe in god? Aren't you worried you'll go to hell? Wait, what do you MEAN you don't believe in hell either???
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2013, 09:25:14 pm
Mostly.  There are realms of mathematics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_areas_of_mathematics) beyond my poor grasp that appear to me to be science.  It might just be that we haven't discovered the real world applications of them.  I know1 Imaginary Numbers (like the square root of -1) are used in electronics, and prior to the existence of electronics they were pretty much just abstract concepts for 400 years. 

If math isn't science then it is a tool of scientists.

1 The beginning and end of my dealings with Imaginary Numbers was in 12th grade Math Analysis class.  I reserve the right to be wrong in these examples
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2013, 08:25:57 pm
Not the Onion:
Haters Are Gonna Hate, Study Confirms (http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/08/28/haters_are_gonna_hate_dispositional_attitude_study_confirms_it.html)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on August 29, 2013, 01:35:18 pm
So you're saying science can't study god, because he isn't factual? He's made up like art and ethics and aesthetics and math? I guess I am OK with that.

Funny thing, see, is that the darned concepts employed in these areas seem to match perfectly outside reality! So... again - complicated, fascinating. Not really easily swept aside.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on September 07, 2013, 08:00:08 pm
Playing a wizard in Dungeon Robber got a lot easier once I realized I could charm bandits to become  my henchmen.  Better yet, my guy has CHA as his high stat, so I can get 2 henchmen.  I have to share food with them to heal them, but it seems like a reasonable tradeoff, and their stats are better than the joes and janes you get in the inn.  I'm curious to try charming higher level monsters and see if there is a limit to how powerful a minion I can get.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 07, 2013, 09:51:55 pm
Playing a wizard in Dungeon Robber got a lot easier once I realized I could charm bandits to become  my henchmen.  Better yet, my guy has CHA as his high stat, so I can get 2 henchmen.  I have to share food with them to heal them, but it seems like a reasonable tradeoff, and their stats are better than the joes and janes you get in the inn.  I'm curious to try charming higher level monsters and see if there is a limit to how powerful a minion I can get.

Yeah man. I know what you mean.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on September 09, 2013, 04:14:49 am
The official track of September (http://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE). Or your your nearest furry convention. Take your pick. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 10, 2013, 03:19:39 am
The official track of September (http://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE). Or your your nearest furry convention. Take your pick. Thoroughly enjoyable.

A-hee-ahee ha-hee.

Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: jaydub on September 10, 2013, 03:54:45 am
giraffeing roll: d20 +2: 11!
You catch a message in a bottle. A letter from someone named Jezamel to someone named Serpenticor. 'Tomorrow I shall kill you in single combat, and in doing so I will kill my own heart, for no dragon's flame burns hotter than my love for you.' (c)ast your line again? (s)top giraffeing?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on September 10, 2013, 05:26:27 am
i love the messages in bottles. i don't think i've seen a duplicate yet, and i haven't gotten that one.

by the way, advanced is stupid tough. i usually die before i can level up. i can't even buy armor yet, and i have way too few hp to survive long.

what i've found is i need 22 gold to start with: bludgeon, sack, ten foot pole, giraffeing pole. the -1 on giraffeing with the ten foot pole is too big a killer; it eliminates the odds of a 20 roll, which is where you get the good stuff.

playing advanced is why i've kept my 500k xp macked-out fighter in basic. if i want to dive deep and kill some shit, i have the opportunity.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 11, 2013, 04:04:04 pm
That mountain is clearly part of some satanic illuminati conspiracy of the 4th dimensional reptiles to summon the new world order of the prison planet because Bush.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194273
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 11, 2013, 05:30:26 pm
One of the Obama photos there is actually the NC State Wolf Pack equivalent of the Texas "Hook 'Em Horns" thing, I believe.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on September 14, 2013, 04:34:13 pm
Nice article from Slate (http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/08/28/top_shot_colby_donaldson_s_reality_show_could_teach_liberals_about_gun_culture.html) about a stupid TV show.

I agree, I hope they make more.

That show and Survivorman are about the only reality shows I'll watch. Unless American Ninja Warrior counts as a reality show. 'Cause I'll watch that, too.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on September 14, 2013, 08:10:52 pm
man, what they've done to american ninja warrior is so dumb. SO dumb. why do i give two shits about a lady that falls on the first obstacle? why do i need to see a three minute biography of this lady? and then they come back from break and say "twelve more contestants fell and three finished the course!" FUCK YOU, SHOW ME.

it's an athletic competition featuring athletes on an obstacle course. show me the athletes being athletic, tell me more about the people that clear the course. once. the fuck do i need to see the same paul kasimir featurette every damn time he runs another course. qualifying, finals, stage 1, stage 2, all the same damn bio. just go "hey, this is that guy from the last few years, remember him?" UGH.

but yeah, top shot is good. on the couple episodes i've seen, they don't waste time on fake drama or unnecessary biographic featurettes. it's just hey, these guys can shoot more accurately than you can probably believe. here, watch them do it. and it's pretty damn remarkable.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: AugustWest on September 14, 2013, 10:00:13 pm
Yeah, I won't really watch American Ninja Warrior because of that.  All the human interest pieces drained the fun strait out of it.  I don't care about the heart warming story behind the guy who's going to make a flying leap into the cargo net.  I don't give a crap.  I just want to see dudes dressed as Superman or chicken or a mailman or whatever wipeout and fall into the water and have the overexcited announcers cackle.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on September 15, 2013, 04:35:11 am
i dvr it and watch an hour in about 20 minutes. i just want the old Sasuke from japan back, to tell the truth. except i don't want them to waste time on joke entrants like the old guy with the octopus that always falls in the first obstacle.

a few years ago, they did a whole reality series built around training for a trip to the actual japanese sasuke trials, which they've always covered as ninja warrior. that one was the worst, even moreso than what they're airing this year.

of course none of them will ever be as fun as MXC. ("betting ends!" "quick! what else we got?")
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2013, 05:27:58 pm
I didn't even realize they'd started American Ninja Warrior until recently and I still don't know what channel it's on. But that makes it sound like some stupid Olympic bullshit. All the human interest crap makes the Olympics unwatchable let alone awesome badass obstacles courses that nobody ever finishes.

Do they not do Sasuke anymore at all? I know it hasn't shown up on my Tivo in a while but I also know that G4 is going away (gone?) as a channel.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2013, 05:52:37 pm
american ninja warrior is on both G4 and NBC this year. tonight's the final episode of the season. and yeah, they're treating it like the olympics and it's a damned bummer.

g4 was going away because esquire magazine negotiated a tv channel from comcast. they cancelled all their shows and fired almost everybody. american ninja warrior is actually branded with both g4 and esquire logos. last week, esquire and comcast announced that instead of taking over g4, esquire would instead be taking over the style network... which will require more shows to be cancelled and more people to be fired. it's all an ugly clusterfuck and it just pisses me off.

on the other hand, now we might get some actual geek television back.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 16, 2013, 05:54:40 pm
Do they not do Sasuke anymore at all? I know it hasn't shown up on my Tivo in a while but I also know that G4 is going away (gone?) as a channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4_%28TV_channel%29#Temporary_proposed_rebrand_as_Esquire_Network
"In December 2012, NBCUniversal signed a brand licensing deal with the Hearst Corporation, owner of Esquire magazine, to relaunch G4 into Esquire Network, which will air shows aimed at a metrosexual audience about travel, cooking, fashion and non-sports related male programming, including the addition of acquired and archive NBCU content such as Party Down, Parks and Recreation, and week-delayed episodes of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon"

"On September 9, 2013, news broke that NBCUniversal will instead replace Style with Esquire Network, leaving G4 "as is for the foreseeable future, though it's highly unlikely the company will invest in more original programming"."

Well that's an interesting development. Must be real fun times to work at G4?
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2013, 05:56:07 pm
american ninja warrior is on both G4 and NBC this year. tonight's the final episode of the season. and yeah, they're treating it like the olympics and it's a damned bummer.

g4 was going away because esquire magazine negotiated a tv channel from comcast. they cancelled all their shows and fired almost everybody. american ninja warrior is actually branded with both g4 and esquire logos. last week, esquire and comcast announced that instead of taking over g4, esquire would instead be taking over the style network... which will require more shows to be cancelled and more people to be fired. it's all an ugly clusterfuck and it just pisses me off.

on the other hand, now we might get some actual geek television back.

Except now there's a rumor that G4 will instead become the WWE Network which has been in startup mode for about 2 years now. They even started filming 2 shows for it, one of which they started airing on Bravo or E! instead (Total Divas).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2013, 05:57:14 pm
UGH even goddamn worse
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 19, 2013, 09:56:41 pm
Haha, nice
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: lprkn on September 20, 2013, 12:26:54 am
Except now there's a rumor that G4 will instead become the WWE Network which has been in startup mode for about 2 years now. They even started filming 2 shows for it, one of which they started airing on Bravo or E! instead (Total Divas).

If a WWE channel ever gets off the ground, I don't think it will do much better than the XFL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL).
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Choop on September 20, 2013, 12:28:57 am
or the NFL in los angeles amirite
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 20, 2013, 01:45:11 pm
The Smiths/Peanuts site just got a cease & desist from the Smiths' publishing company. Those humorless gits.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2013, 06:12:28 pm
I like the Smiths, but can only take them for about 2 song intervals. Morrissey's voice is way too whiny.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 16, 2013, 04:05:36 pm
the animated tales of gwar (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d1eb60c5f7/the-animated-tales-of-gwar)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on December 03, 2013, 10:42:27 pm
http://vimeo.com/25118844

It's about Stuxnet. It's short, fascinating and groin-punchingly scary.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on December 06, 2013, 06:16:43 pm
Oh my fuck, meow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG33zECv8dc&list=PLCvvtzJNc1TAgg3opjJsirtBmixvROlRE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG33zECv8dc&list=PLCvvtzJNc1TAgg3opjJsirtBmixvROlRE)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 07, 2013, 01:49:11 am
Oh my fuck, meow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG33zECv8dc&list=PLCvvtzJNc1TAgg3opjJsirtBmixvROlRE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG33zECv8dc&list=PLCvvtzJNc1TAgg3opjJsirtBmixvROlRE)

Frikkin' awesome.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on December 07, 2013, 01:19:59 pm
Pingu is kind of a big deal in Brazil as well, it used to run (probably still does) in the educational channel.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on December 07, 2013, 03:12:51 pm
Oh my fuck, meow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG33zECv8dc&list=PLCvvtzJNc1TAgg3opjJsirtBmixvROlRE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG33zECv8dc&list=PLCvvtzJNc1TAgg3opjJsirtBmixvROlRE)

OK, I know that Wandering Off Topic is this board's middle name, but surely even we should draw the line at YouTube links in the Non-YouTube thread, especially given that we have a dedicated YouTube thread.

That is pretty amazing though.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on December 07, 2013, 04:27:09 pm
I misread the thread title or something, argh ><
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2013, 05:41:46 pm
I misread the thread title or something, argh ><
Shutup, you monster! Look what you've done!

Also, Wombat was so clearly a teacher in a previous life.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: dejavroom on December 21, 2013, 07:50:15 pm
If you like watching military operations and have a fondness for bunny rabbits, this is your lucky day:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xziq8n_cat-shit-one-2010-part-1_shortfilms (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xziq8n_cat-shit-one-2010-part-1_shortfilms)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2013, 05:16:27 pm
Porn Hub Comments on Stock Photos (http://pornhubcommentsonstockphotos.tumblr.com/)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2014, 08:53:13 pm
They jammin' with Kenny Loggins.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 22, 2015, 06:08:35 pm
These are always fun. They could probably make a whole video for Tony Romo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRmyXX6ipU&feature=youtu.be
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2015, 09:56:50 pm
I would point out again that YouTube links don't go in the Non-Youtube Link thread, but I'm practicing the subtle art of not giving a fuck. (http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck)
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2015, 11:49:30 pm
Yeah, you're definitely a seething ball of rage sort.
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 23, 2015, 02:41:28 pm
I would point out again that YouTube links don't go in the Non-Youtube Link thread, but I'm practicing the subtle art of not giving a fuck. (http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck)

DERP. I wanted to put it in the YouTube thread. I saw "YouTube" in the title and thought that was it. I missed the "Non-" part. Seriously. I'M TIRED. I'M SORRY
Title: Re: The Unofficial Non-YouTube Link Thread
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2015, 06:34:04 pm
I was sure you were trolling me.