The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 10, 2011, 03:04:19 pm

Title: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on August 10, 2011, 03:04:19 pm
Who wants to run football this year?  

'Bout time to get our draft set up.

Quote from: Nabubrush, from the future
OK, I'm not super comfortable about editing someone else's post, but I figure this is clearly my addition so, ok:

Banana Town Boffins: Mayor del Vaca
Parykarz: jaydub
Lister's Lab Rats: Lister
Tyger Smorgasbord: Ash
Malcolm Jamal Warner: miles
The Galaxy Invaders: sMets
The Venomous Monkeys: Nabu
60000 Bees: The Eggman

We have to have eight, and I'd rather have ten.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 10, 2011, 05:49:53 pm
I'm ready to watch some football.  I'm not going to play.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on August 10, 2011, 08:33:50 pm
Count me in.  Touamb2011!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 10, 2011, 10:33:25 pm
I'll give it a shot. I'm sometimes accidentally good at that.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2011, 01:23:38 am
I'll give it a shot. I'm sometimes accidentally good at that.

GO MAN GO!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on August 11, 2011, 01:49:08 am
I don't think I've ever tried fake football. I can't be worse at it than I am fake baseball, right? Count me in.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 11, 2011, 05:44:07 pm
All over it - I'll run it if no one else wants to. I can promise I'll be more involved than I ended up being with the baseball. This wasn't a good year for that for me.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2011, 08:44:34 pm
League ID: 594788
URL: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/touamb
password: nicepete
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2011, 08:48:12 pm
I invited the people who left emails with last year's team. I did the whole thing on my phone due to firewalls. Scoring might end up being based on arrest records, for all I could tell.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 18, 2011, 09:22:27 pm
A'ight.

I am The Galaxy Invaders because... that's the Rifftrax I'm watching right now.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on August 18, 2011, 09:52:28 pm
I invited the people who left emails with last year's team. I did the whole thing on my phone due to firewalls. Scoring might end up being based on arrest records, for all I could tell.

I didn't do it last year, but I figured out how to crash your party. Hope that's cool? If not I'm sure you can figure out how to give me the boot.

Team: Malcolm Jamal Warner. No good reason.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2011, 09:59:10 pm
All are welcome at the Monkeys' table.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2011, 09:59:50 pm
Frank, I am pretty sure I invited your daughter. I hope that's ok.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2011, 11:06:43 pm
Frank, I am pretty sure I invited your daughter. I hope that's ok.

Only if she beats me.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on August 19, 2011, 03:52:08 am
Team: Malcolm Jamal Warner. No good reason.

So apparently it's his birthday. I'd like to think there's some kind of deep connection we have. We're both Leos or something? More likely, maybe they mentioned his birthday on NPR this morning when I was still waking up. Perhaps most likely, coincidence. Am I more infatuated with Malcolm Jamal Warner than is healthy? Without a doubt.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2011, 04:21:22 am
He appeared in an episode of Dexter.  He had a small role.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 19, 2011, 03:47:32 pm
So apparently it's his birthday. I'd like to think there's some kind of deep connection we have. We're both Leos or something? More likely, maybe they mentioned his birthday on NPR this morning when I was still waking up. Perhaps most likely, coincidence. Am I more infatuated with Malcolm Jamal Warner than is healthy? Without a doubt.

I always kind of thought you were MJW.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on August 19, 2011, 09:57:11 pm
Hoping the hot performance of the Habaneros continues with the Paprykaz.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 20, 2011, 01:29:25 am
So far seven teams. The rest of you, let's see some hustle out there.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 22, 2011, 08:02:18 pm
Christian End, an assistant professor at Xavier University in Cincinnati, who specializes in sports fan behavior, said there are several factors for unruliness at sporting events—including the magnitude of the game, if it is between arch rivals, adrenaline and alcohol. There’s also “deindividuation,” when fans supporting a particular team adopt a group mentality and may become uncivil (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ersstadiumshooting).
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 22, 2011, 09:14:37 pm
Choop and Paul are out, and we haven't heard from TeenGirlSquad, so if anyone has any ideas, they're appreciated. Cort, inev, Doc, Keith, GKA, lprkn? I can never remember who gives a shit about this game. I'd love for ark to play, but he's around so rarely he might not see an invite for a bit.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on August 22, 2011, 09:43:48 pm
MisterQ.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 23, 2011, 12:41:16 am
I'll do it if y'all really need me to.  Last time I had Randy moss and Tom Brady that season they blew up and went almost undefeated and didn't win, that kinda soured me on fantasy sports.  It wasn't like my team blew either, it was like I was in first all year and got unlucky in playoffs.  That same year or the one before I got chris Johnson after our draft and before anyone had heard of him.  I finished second that year too.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2011, 02:01:05 am
I'll do it if y'all really need me to.  Last time I had Randy moss and Tom Brady that season they blew up and went almost undefeated and didn't win, that kinda soured me on fantasy sports.  It wasn't like my team blew either, it was like I was in first all year and got unlucky in playoffs.  That same year or the one before I got chris Johnson after our draft and before anyone had heard of him.  I finished second that year too.

I did that with Arian Foster last year, and Joe Horn in 2000. Other than that, I'm not good at sleepers.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2011, 03:09:00 am
Ok, we have eight now. Regular season starts Thursday, Sept 8th (NO at GB). I would really prefer to run a live draft, as that is something I really, really enjoy about fantasy football. If nobody really cares, I'd like to do that and to accommodate whoever we can. I'm pretty sure we did this either last year or the year before. If someone has some real heartache about it I'll table the motion. Also, I did change a few of the settings, so if anyone has an issue with them let me know.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on August 23, 2011, 03:11:03 am
I'm the eighth.

Look, you're the Commish. Do things whatever way you want to.  Anybody who takes this stuff seriously enough to get pissed off about it doesn't belong in our league.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 23, 2011, 08:32:05 am
Hell, I barely know which cities have NFL teams anymore so... I'm down for whatever the people Way Into It are.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2011, 04:36:05 pm
I'm the eighth.

Look, you're the Commish. Do things whatever way you want to.  Anybody who takes this stuff seriously enough to get pissed off about it doesn't belong in our league.

Hey now, my heart wells with love for you people. I'm trying to be everything to everyone.

Ok, I think I'm going to try to set up a live draft for the evening of Wednesday the 31st. More details to follow (I have to try to set it up from my room, as my WiFi has gone away from the office).
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 23, 2011, 06:35:21 pm
It's set up for 6:30 pm August 31st, but I'm not married to that time/date. I would kind of like more time to prep (since I'm at work) but I'd also like to set it up for s time where others would be able to take part, at least for the first several rounds.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on August 24, 2011, 05:28:20 am
Alaska or Pacific time?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2011, 12:34:07 pm
Alaska or Pacific time?

It'll be Pacific time because I'll be back in Oregon by then. I could push it off to my first weekend home (3rd/4th) since the season doesn't start until the 8th.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2011, 01:11:02 am
Fuck it, drafting begins in 20 minutes.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2011, 02:33:49 am
Yahoo has decided that Miles has had the best draft.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2011, 02:55:40 am
All I know is I had to go the auto-draft route and I got a better team than I have ever had when picking my own players.

Sheepish, indeed...

I enjoyed many of your picks, but it would have been fun to have you there.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 01, 2011, 02:59:39 am
Yahoo has decided that Miles has had the best draft.

Nice! Fantasy sports redemption at last? Only time will tell...

I enjoyed many of your picks, but it would have been fun to have you there.

Yeah, it was a lot more fun than I expected. Would have been fun to have a few more of you to bullshit with.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 01, 2011, 03:27:15 am
I'm sorry, really. But it was single-dad dinner time.

That's important shit. A can for getting your goddamn priorities straight.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 01, 2011, 12:45:36 pm
Sorry, I fucked this one up. I had it on my calendar, but managed to completely forget about it.

As punishment, apparently, I drafted Tony Romo. I will trade him for a dozen donuts. I am SERIOUS. I cannot root for that fuck*ng guy under any circumstances, so if you want/need a QB make me an offer.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2011, 03:33:30 pm
I feel the same way about one of my QB's so go check my trade offer.

I'm just guessing here, but:

Kyle Orton, come on down!

Edit: I completely forgot you had Cutler, too! Fun! Also, I remember when you auto-drafted Vrabel - I thought to myself, that won't last.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2011, 03:39:00 pm
Also, Tomlinson undrafted.




Man.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2011, 12:06:06 am
Would you take David Garrard for him?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 09, 2011, 01:24:57 am
Motherfuck I wanted Finley. Should have had him higher on my list. He's looking good.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2011, 02:52:07 am
Let's see how Garrard's workout in SF goes.

Yes let's.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on September 09, 2011, 05:36:26 am
Let's see how Garrard's workout in SF goes.
Yes let's.
Indeed.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2011, 10:46:36 am
Aw crap, football has already started?

Apparently I was not Ready For Some Football.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 13, 2011, 02:52:02 am
OH SNAP! I left him off because of the ankle injury and now the sumbitch is going off? That Zack guy better go off up in pilot-town or I'm gonna play the dummy-harp.

Well, he looked really good early on but didn't put up amazing numbers or anything. But he did do much better than Zach Miller. Which isn't his fault, because at least Finley had a quarterback. Christ, it'll be a miracle if Seattle wins 4 games this year.

Ochocinco has been a tremendous disappointment. What a surprise. He was only able to collect 14 of the 500+ yards Pretty Boy Tom put up tonight.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2011, 05:22:53 am
The Texans soundly beat Indy.  Albeit without Manning, but still my Texans fans friends are crowing loudly on Facebook.  Are they actually better this year than the team that soundly beat Indy on opening day last season?

Also, on a different subject entirely, I misspelled albeit up there in that sentence above.  I spelled it albiet.  The spell checker thought I might have wanted to spell albie t.  Albeit was the third choice.  I thought that was interesting.  In my mind the computer was thinking "that dummy couldn't possibly know what albeit means.  He must have been talking about his friend Albie T. Ha ha.  Sorry, I'm tired.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 19, 2011, 12:02:53 am
Mother, but also fucker. I have to stop watching this sport.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 19, 2011, 04:23:36 am
So nobody has an opinion on the Texans?  They beat Miami today.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 19, 2011, 04:51:01 am
I don't, but just because I don't know enough about them. What I do know, though, is that the Seahawks sucked again today, while Hasselbeck actually did pretty well.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on September 19, 2011, 03:50:49 pm
Man I've got to start considering some other options for players.  These guys are asleep at the switch.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 19, 2011, 07:19:37 pm
So nobody has an opinion on the Texans?  They beat Miami today.

Texans are whipping ass. Your Super Bowl teams this year? Houston Texans Vs. Detroit Lions. I can't fuck*ng wait.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2011, 02:09:40 am
Texans are whipping ass. Your Super Bowl teams this year? Houston Texans Vs. Detroit Lions. I can't fuck*ng wait.

Oh holy fuck*ng Christ no.  Texans fans are insufferable enough already.  Give 'em about 40 years of futility at least.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 20, 2011, 03:18:09 am
Oh, so I actually have to manage my team.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 20, 2011, 12:47:37 pm
Oh, so I actually have to manage my team.

Well, you don't have to.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on September 26, 2011, 01:22:10 am
Concussion, broken hand. I don't believe in karma, but damn. Vick better make room for like every dog in need of rescue from every shelter in Philly. In the meantime, I should probably find another QB.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on October 04, 2011, 02:53:28 am
Are you ready for some... Godwin (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7056003/espn-pulls-hank-williams-jr-ready-opening-mnf)?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on October 04, 2011, 07:41:17 pm
I was recording the first part of the game and skipped right over the non-opening extravaganza when I played it (I try to time the point I begin playing the recording to coincide with the end of the game live, given commercial skipping). 
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2011, 04:23:13 am
I am thrilled that Shaun Phillips plays for the Chargers (http://twitter.com/#!/ShaunPhillips95/status/125630451648966656).
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2011, 04:24:59 am
Also, unsurprisingly, Kansas City is into cornholing in the locker room (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7092425/locker-room-game-helping-build-kansas-city-chiefs-unity).

I'm sorry, that was unprofessional and beneath me.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on October 18, 2011, 05:40:48 pm
I am thrilled that Shaun Phillips plays for the Chargers (http://twitter.com/#!/ShaunPhillips95/status/125630451648966656).

Dachshunds = OK
Pugs = OK
Shih Tzus = Not so much
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on October 18, 2011, 08:06:43 pm
My team is so astoundingly bad this season.  That is all.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on October 19, 2011, 01:08:48 am
Dachshunds = OK
Pugs = OK
Shih Tzus = Not so much

Boston Terriers?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2011, 02:26:53 am
Boston Terriers?

Sure.  If those other gay dogs get invited to the party why not the Boston Terrier.  Ha ha, I keed.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:15:42 pm
And it's going here too, just in case (http://youtu.be/tfW7YzBonsM).
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 07, 2011, 12:53:29 am
What the fuck is wrong with Rivers?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Mr Trout on November 08, 2011, 08:41:49 am
That Ravens win on Sunday felt so goddamn good. An honest win, by honest men.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 18, 2011, 04:46:18 pm
I have to think that there are some defensive coordinators out there who are overthinking the hell out of themselves to prove they're the smartest guys in the room...

It shouldn't be this hard to defend against a team whose quarterback cannot throw to save his smug sanctimonious insufferable obnoxious life.

Make the douchebag throw and you will win. Come on now. It is not that difficult.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on November 18, 2011, 06:14:57 pm
I'll take interesting over another dogshit team going nowhere anyday.
This was my take on Miami's venture into the Wildcat 2 years ago.  Now we've got the Denveer with Touchdown Jesus.  If it wasn't for the sideshows, NFL would be even stodgier than it is.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 18, 2011, 06:55:25 pm
Plus, I may get to see some guy come off the edge and catch Tebow in between progressions and hit him so hard his eyeballs pop out.
He'll be up against Julius Peppers soon enough.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 18, 2011, 07:21:34 pm
Quote from: Asherdan
Plus, I may get to see some guy come off the edge and catch Tebow in between progressions and hit him so hard his eyeballs pop out.

And then the inevitable claim that he's been HEALED even though he is clearly missing his eyes.

All trying to get back on the football field, in total denial, huddling up with the goal post for plays.

All kinda half Black Knight from Monty Python, half religious diatribe.

I love this idea. Lets get on this.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 18, 2011, 10:17:20 pm
Slate has a really good series running on the NFL this season, and there's been a couple of good pieces on why exactly the Tebow thing is so hard on NFL defenses at the moment.

I am not linking to it for you. Go find it yourself.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on November 18, 2011, 11:14:29 pm
Bastard.  Give me convenience or give me death.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on November 19, 2011, 05:20:19 pm
Man, you really got an irrational hatred twisting around in there. It hurts you more than anyone else.

It's sports. It's all about irrational hatred and love.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 20, 2011, 06:15:52 pm
I'm with miles on this one, too. Actually, I was really surprised to see this come from you of all people, Ash.

Also, of course that smug sanctimonious little prick just has to play for the donkeys.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on November 20, 2011, 06:26:12 pm
Jesus loves sports, especially football.  Human suffering he's not so interested in, but the NFL...
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 20, 2011, 06:30:08 pm
Again: so pleased at Bills WR Stevie Johnson asking Jesus why he had foresaken him on the dropped touchdown.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on November 20, 2011, 07:28:51 pm
Also, of course that smug sanctimonious little prick just has to play for the donkeys.

Have I already expressed that I hate the Denver Broncos more than any other sports team ever? And probably more than a handful of dictators and serial killers?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on November 21, 2011, 01:40:27 am
My god, I was this close to subbing Hasselbeck for Vick, and then at the last minute I dropped Pierre Thomas to pick up Cutler. The amazing part? Dude came through for me! If only he could do that for his real team in the post season. Sorry Nabu, wish it would have been more of a shooting match where you guys came out ahead. The Chargers are the only team in the AFC West I don't hate.

Oh how I miss the years when the Seahawks were in the AFC West. I remember watching Seattle/Denver games on TV with my mom, both of us yelling at Elway for being a wimp because he always complained that the crowd was too loud. But most of it is probably nostalgia for the Kingdome. The other day I was pissing on an old school pink urinal cake, seems I don't see as many of those anymore, and you know how memory is tied to scent? Memories of pissing in the men's room trough at the Kingdome immediately flooded my mind. I think it's impossible to understand the deep nostalgia I feel for the Kingdome if you weren't a Seattle resident of a certain age in the 80s and 90s who loved the Mariners and the Seahawks. Younger fans either don't remember it at all, or didn't grow attached enough, and older fans realized that the Kingdome was just a really shitty stadium. But for me the Kingdome was Seattle. No other landmark in the city mattered. I was devastated when it was demolished. I still feel a bit sad when I watch footage of the implosion (though it is pretty fuck*ng impressive). My best friend wouldn't attend games at Safeco for a few years because he was so upset about it. I love the new facilities, but every time I go to a game, I still feel pangs of sadness when I walk through the area where that shitty stadium once stood.

Anyway, Seahawks are on a 2 game winning streak. Granted we beat the worst team in the NFC West and if you don't count the Colts (because who is) possibly the worst team in the NFL today, but we did beat the Ravens last week, and as inconsistent as they are, that's a fuck*ng tough defense. At the beginning of the season I said that we'd be lucky to win four games this year, and we have with plenty of season left. I say we're still in it, but the 49ers need to really fuck up, and we have some tough games ahead that we need to win.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 21, 2011, 06:28:34 pm
I hear you on the Kingdome thing. Yay progress and all, but when a shitty stadium is YOUR stadium, it's sad to see it go, and not everyone gets that. I have similar feelings about the old Vet in Philly, and more recently, RFK here in DC. Yeah, the Nats only played there for three years, and it didn't have proper luxury boxes, and it kind of smelled bad. But dammit, I LIKED going to games there. The bells and whistles of the new ballpark were added for "casual fans." Not me.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 21, 2011, 07:51:04 pm
I miss Shea. It was awful in a way that was perfect, if that makes any sense.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2011, 12:15:45 am
The Kingdome was the first place I ever saw a professional sporting event. Of course, it was the first of many beatings I've seen my Bolts take, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

I was at that Ravens game, if I didn't mention it. Was I ever surprised by that result!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2011, 06:23:27 am
I think it's impossible to understand the deep nostalgia I feel for the Kingdome if you weren't a Seattle resident of a certain age in the 80s and 90s who loved the Mariners and the Seahawks. Younger fans either don't remember it at all, or didn't grow attached enough, and older fans realized that the Kingdome was just a really shitty stadium. But for me the Kingdome was Seattle. No other landmark in the city mattered.

I feel the same way about the Astrodome except the Astrodome was a really great stadium and the new places kinda suck to be honest.  I think we've talked about this before.  By the way, I went to my first Texans Game (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157628073965106/) a couple of weeks ago.

I'll probably hate it and be terribly sad when they finally demolish the Dome, but they really need to do it.  When they built the Astrodome it was a 50 thousand seat stadium with parking for 50 thousand fans.  Now we have a 70 thousand seat stadium built in that parking space which is bound to reduce the parking to oh about 35 thousand or so.  if they demolish the dome they could at least get some of that parking space back.  Of course now that they realize the people will get there even without adequate parking they will probably use the space instead for shopping and restaurants or whatever.

Anyway, I think it's worse that it just sits there unused and wasted.  It's such a beautiful and historic place.  I really love the Astrodome.  They keep floating these ideas on how they are gonna re-purpose it, but it's been years and nothing has happened.  And it cost the county a million dollars a year to maintain it.  Sigh! 

So what were we talking about again?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on November 22, 2011, 04:37:47 pm
Candlestick is a cold, dank armpit.  I have actually decided against going to a game in person in recent years because of the stadium experience.  On the other hand the "stadium mall" the Debartolo's were proposing a while back sounded even more ridiculous to me.  I hope they build the one they have been talking about in Santa Clara.  I'll be attending a LOT more games if it goes through.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2011, 07:26:31 pm
The Astrodome is a perfect 72 degrees year round.  They used to advertise this.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2011, 08:26:30 pm
Latest ESPN mag has a big deal about a Texans-Steelers game. They interviewed a vendor who used to work the old place with the line "coldest foam in the dome". I liked that line.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2011, 10:32:31 pm
Latest ESPN mag has a big deal about a Texans-Steelers game. They interviewed a vendor who used to work the old place with the line "coldest foam in the dome". I liked that line.

Yeah, I miss coldest foam in the dome.  The new stadium is covered, but it's not a dome.

Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 23, 2011, 01:14:48 am
Yeah, I miss coldest foam in the dome.  The new stadium is covered, but it's not a dome.



He still uses the line, he said.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 23, 2011, 02:16:54 am
He still uses the line, he said.

Of course he does.  Nothing is authentic anymore.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 04, 2011, 09:39:23 pm
Fuckin' Hasselbeck.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2011, 05:01:15 am
How does Roman Harper not put up a single point?

Answer:  apparently via software glitch.  Today he has 5pts, still shy of the 7.5 predicted for him but not the statistical fluke that I feared.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2011, 08:17:35 pm
Sports writer offers himself up (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tim-tebow-upbringing-key-to-nfl-success-jason-whitlock-analysis-120511) as a holocaust at the altar of Tim Tebow.  He credits the 2-parent nuclear family upbringing Tebow enjoyed as a reason why Denver's emerging star is doing better at the NFL's most difficult position, in comparison to Michael Vick and Vince Young.  I hope this guy is wearing asbestos long-john's, because this is incendiary writing...
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 05, 2011, 10:41:18 pm
Quote from: Aaron Rodgers
I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, 'Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.' So basically, I'm not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not, and ask questions, and then given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 05, 2011, 11:18:26 pm
When I pay attention to the NFL, I'm a Bills fan but...

Everytime I hear something about Aaron Rodgers, he just sounds more and more like the coolest cat in that sport.
 
Like he soaked up all the negative shit Favre threw out and learned by negative example on how to be a sports celebrity without being much of a dick about it.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 12:15:22 am
I hate that the powers that be thought Houston would rather see the Cowboys play than Green Bay.  Fuck that noise.  We did get to catch the last 4 min. since the Cowboy game ended early.  Wow, exciting.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 01:08:57 am
Maybe there are different routes to being a decent human being. Maybe Rodger's way and Tebow's way are both OK?

Maybe. Maybe, but no. Fuck that guy.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 06, 2011, 02:26:20 am
Nabu has the correct reaction.

If Jesus really is magic, I imagine Him hovering over Tebow's shoulder telling him to give it a rest.

"Let it go... you're making me look bad, dum-dum."

(I... really like the idea of Jesus as having Great Gazoo elements.)
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 06, 2011, 02:33:21 am
I hate that the powers that be thought Houston would rather see the Cowboys play than Green Bay.  Fuck that noise.  We did get to catch the last 4 min. since the Cowboy game ended early.  Wow, exciting.

I don't know, to me this is exactly how it should be. I get regional coverage. Get the Sunday Ticket if you want to watch other games.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 02:46:07 am
Fuck regional coverage.  If they're not showing the Texans then show the best game.  But of course they are always gonna show the Cowboys because this town is lousy with fuck*ng Cowboys fans.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 06, 2011, 02:47:24 am
Yeah, that's why it makes so much sense.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 02:54:22 am
Yeah, that's why it makes so much sense.

It wouldn't be a problem if there weren't so many Cowboys fans here. 
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 02:57:11 am
Sorry, I still feel some vestigial hatred for the Cowboys from my days as an Oilers fan.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 06, 2011, 02:57:20 am
Good point. I don't know why I'm arguing with you because I get pissed off whenever I have to watch the Cowboys too.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2011, 03:57:57 am
Love Sunday ticket. No offense - so sick of watching the 'Hawks.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 06, 2011, 04:19:47 am
Exactly.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2011, 04:20:04 am
Love Sunday ticket. No offense - so sick of watching the 'Hawks.

I feel 'ya.  At least the Texans are playing well this year.  Although I could stand to not watch with my annoying superfan roommate.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 18, 2011, 10:07:42 pm
Dang it, was this close to starting Seattle in place of Baltimore today but I was concerned that they would struggle on the road. Baltimore better come through in a big way tonight.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2011, 03:20:14 am
Lister's making a valiant effort to grab the fourth playoff spot.  Looks like it might come down to total points scored.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 19, 2011, 04:19:48 am
Dang it, was this close to starting Seattle in place of Baltimore today but I was concerned that they would struggle on the road. Baltimore better come through in a big way tonight.

Shit. Easily the worst decision I made this season. It could not have gone worse.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 19, 2011, 05:05:19 pm
Heh.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2011, 05:06:20 pm
Yeah, in my other league I was deliberating starting Baltimore or Denver at D. They both sucked, so fuck it.
I have a 4 point lead going into tonight, but my opponent has David Akers and that Crabtree fellow. I am probably screwed, but stranger things have happened.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 19, 2011, 05:09:57 pm
I still have "most points against" sewn up.

As long as Antonio Brown doesn't have an epically bad day (read "37 lost fumbles"), I should be a'ight.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2011, 06:16:02 pm
but my opponent has David Akers

No he doesn't.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2011, 06:25:10 pm
Since the Texans lost yesterday they're not the top seed in the AFC anymore.  So, my rabid fan of a roommate was rooting for San Diego over Baltimore because it helped the Texans in their playoff positioning.  I tried to compare it to having somebody else fuck your wife because you couldn't get the job done yourself (in other words, pathetic), but he wasn't hearing it and kept on rooting for San Diego.

I also tried to tell him that the Texans are not as good as he wants to believe they are, but he wasn't hearing that either.

In related news, San Diego beat the tar out of Baltimore last night.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2011, 07:22:42 pm
No he doesn't.

This is a non-TOUAMB league. You know, the one where my team is actually in the playoffs. (And also, that no one here but me gives a shit about.)
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2011, 07:48:37 pm
This is a non-TOUAMB league. You know, the one where my team is actually in the playoffs. (And also, that no one here but me gives a shit about.)

Oh.  Never mind.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 19, 2011, 11:43:41 pm
I greatly enjoyed that game last night, not least because Sizzle, from Ball All Day University, got penalized for a head slap. You just don't see that called very often.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on December 20, 2011, 03:00:48 am
It was a hell of a slap.  Deacon Jones would have been proud of that one.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on December 21, 2011, 05:37:52 am
Heh.

Laugh it up... fuzzball. That's all I got.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 21, 2011, 08:16:11 pm
Laugh it up... fuzzball. That's all I got.

That's . . . interesting.

I just really enjoyed the classic Chargers game "hey everybody, look how good we can be! This team could win a Super Bowl, right? Of course, it could also shit the bed against KC."
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on December 23, 2011, 05:53:58 am
It was a lot of fun seeing the Texans lose to Indy tonight.  In two weeks they have gone from the top seed in the AFC to the team that got beat by the worst team in the league.  Naturally all of my Texans fan friends are blaming the officials, because the first stage, of course, is denial.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2011, 05:27:14 am
League 1, Rodgers plays well enough to beat me. League 2, Rodgers does not play well enough for me to win.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on December 26, 2011, 11:59:29 pm
Another league I'm in has the most fucked up scoring system imaginable.  Quarterbacks scoring 50% of the team's total points, a Defense having a bad day somehow turning in an average score...I never know how well I'm doing in that league until I login the next day and look at the scoresheet.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2012, 05:37:39 pm
I knew this was gonna happen.  Oh well.  Let the battle for 3d begin!

Lister, good job kicking my ass two weeks in a row to get into the playoffs and the champeenship game.  You've got the momentum and I'm rooting for you to win it all from the wild card slot.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2012, 02:57:25 am
Gee, thanks eggman.

Sorry, but it would help validate my losses for my defeats to have been at the hands of the eventual champion.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2012, 12:08:46 pm
And in real football, the Broncos can't get it done against the Chiefs in their own stadium. Tebow basically shits the bed and they back in, because the Chargers have too much offense for the Raiders (that and because they hired Carson Palmer, which proves that even death won't eliminate Al's loathesome, destructive influence on the team). The Bengals . . . ah shit, I got nothing. Wild Card weekend is going to suck. I'm taking the 3 and 5 seeds on both sides.

I did like Matt Flynn having the best single game in history of any of the storied Green Bay QBs. Fun on a bun!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2012, 06:46:16 pm
Welp, I'm up by 3.58 points so unless Pierre-Paul goes apeshit and sacks Romo three or four times in the last 10 minutes your just gonna have to drink bitter tears, mister.

Congratulations to our 2011 champion!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2012, 11:34:27 pm
Indeed, congrats! Huzzah!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on January 03, 2012, 01:49:54 am
I took sixth!  Or last, if you only include human players :/
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2012, 02:15:15 am
Right now it's a good moment to be a Houston Texans fan.

Enjoy it while you can. Next week reality comes to call in the form of the Baltimore Ravens.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2012, 06:15:04 am
Are there any Texans fans in here?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2012, 01:31:06 am
TEBOW!!!
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2012, 12:50:49 pm
How could another week of Tebow be anything, but awesome?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Mr Trout on January 10, 2012, 04:58:34 am
As a Ravens fan in Denver it was a great night.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2012, 01:36:46 am
I'm sort of pulling for the Texans. A really, really nice guy I work with is from Houston. Also Paul.

Shit, we beat the Ravens. The Texans could do it. It's too bad they're on their seventh QB or whatever.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on January 11, 2012, 01:42:10 am
Shit, we beat the Ravens. The Texans could do it. It's too bad they're on their seventh QB or whatever.

So did Seattle. It's definitely possible.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Mr Trout on January 11, 2012, 03:01:17 am
True, but the Ravens are undefeated at home and they've had a week to rest.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2012, 03:14:04 am
I don't give a fuck who wins what as long as the Broncos get beat, preferably with Tebow getting badly injured. I wish they had the Ravens instead of NE. Just let it end up Ray-Ray getting a chance to stab Timmy. Permanent spot on the DVR.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2012, 03:26:02 am
The reasons little Timmy will be the MVP of Super Bowl XLVI (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/9/2693452/tim-tebow-super-bowl-36-nfl-playoffs-2012).
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on January 15, 2012, 04:43:45 am
Patriots destroy Broncos. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo)

Also, it's kind of hilarious and mildly irritating that I got a CNN Breaking News alert over a divisional playoff game. I really hate the Broncos.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on January 15, 2012, 05:17:16 am
Just realized that I have to root for the Packers now because I don't trust the Giants to pull off an upset two weeks in a row and beat the 9ers. Damn it. I might as well just stop giving a fuck this season. Am I ready for some basketball?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 16, 2012, 09:59:46 pm
So the newly crowned Miss America is from Wisconsin, and at some point during the proceedings she said "Aaron Rodgers, call me." I suppose a date with Miss America would cheer a guy up after losing a big ol' playoff game.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: miles on January 16, 2012, 11:18:49 pm
Yeah, wow. I didn't expect that. Almost feel sorry for the guy.

(http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2009/06/aaron-rodgers.gif)

Oh wait, no I don't.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2012, 04:35:29 am
Being in Minnesota and without internet service I was spared the wailing and gnashing of teeth on Facebook when the Texans lost.  Also, we took a break from sight seeing on Sunday and found ourselves in a dive bar watching the Packers vs. Giants.

In Minneapolis, as I discovered, the Packers are like the Cowboys are here.  The allegiance in the bar was split.  Half were rooting for the Packers because and the rest were, not exactly rooting for New York so much as rooting against the Packers. 

I watched about half of the game while Abby and Kendra drank beers and chatted.  That was a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on February 06, 2012, 06:13:41 pm
Bwahahahahahaha! Yeah,it is hard to pull for Eli Manning, but that was fuck*ng delicious. Also:

Giselle Bundchen tosses Welker, Hernandez under a nearby bus (http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/06/giselle-bundchen-calls-out-patriots-receivers-after-game/?eref=sircrc).
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2012, 06:17:48 pm
The Saints get it right in the sack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c0dd9/article/nfl-suspends-saints-coach-payton-for-one-year-without-pay?campaign=Facebook_news). Damn.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2012, 06:30:32 pm
The Saints get it right in the sack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c0dd9/article/nfl-suspends-saints-coach-payton-for-one-year-without-pay?campaign=Facebook_news). Damn.

No shit, that was rough, but they deserved it.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on March 21, 2012, 06:37:57 pm
They deserve it if someone can prove that no other teams have done it (tough, proving a negative).  Otherwise this is just ass-covering by the league. 
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2012, 07:02:50 pm
They deserve it if someone can prove that no other teams have done it (tough, proving a negative).  Otherwise this is just ass-covering by the league. 

If other teams have done this they should be punished harshly too. Why is this ass covering?  Do you think the league privately condones this behavior?  It seems to me that every season the league comes out with a new set of rules designed to better protect the players.  Given that, I would think the league is extremely upset by this.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on March 21, 2012, 07:15:38 pm
I believe they did it.  I believe other teams did it.  I believe it is very, very wrong and at the heart of a major problem in amateur and pro sports (lack of respect for oneself and ones opponents).  I believe it should be punished.  As an organization, I think the league is serious about player safety.  However, I think this particular sanctioning action is far out of proportion to the offense that Payton actually was party to, and its being done to "send a message".  That is, I believe, unfair to the Saints and their fans.  If hard nosed investigations of similar practices on other teams result in similar penalties, then fine - this is the first one of many to follow.  If the league hopes that the problem goes away, is making an example of this particular incident and ignores the probable truth that other teams are doing similar things, then the Saints are being penalized for getting caught - in which case the lesson isn't "don't do this" it is "don't get caught" and "don't rat out the program".
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2012, 08:05:27 pm
I'm glad the league has done this and I hope it does send a message.  I don't know what else the league can do in the absence of evidence. You can't punish a team for doing something if you can't prove they are doing it.  But if there are other teams out there doing what the Saints were doing, you can bet they are reconsidering it right now.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: jaydub on March 21, 2012, 09:54:43 pm
I'm glad the league has done this and I hope it does send a message.  I don't know what else the league can do in the absence of evidence.
You can keep looking and not just hope the stink blows away with the next news cycle.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2012, 10:24:57 pm
You can keep looking and not just hope the stink blows away with the next news cycle.

I really don't know where you're coming from with this.  Is there some measure that should be taken that is being purposefully overlooked?  Admittedly I am not following this story very closely.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 02:58:00 am
This has been one of the most enjoyable off-seasons I can remember, other than us losing V-Jax. Well, and overpaying to get Clipboard Jesus back.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2012, 03:02:12 am
So the Broncos dumped Tebow, huh?  God will not be pleased.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 03:06:19 am
So the Broncos dumped Tebow, huh?  God will not be pleased.

Yeah, if I were given the job of finding the best head coach for Tim Tebow . . .
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on March 22, 2012, 01:07:33 pm
Yeah, if I were given the job of finding the best head coach for Tim Tebow . . .

Hey, Rex Ryan is just as interested in soles as Tim Tebow.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 22, 2012, 02:08:22 pm
What better place for an evangelizing QB who believes non-Christians are going to hell, than New York?  Also:  not really a good QB. Man, the Jets are stupid.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 02:51:41 pm
Hey, Rex Ryan is just as interested in soles as Tim Tebow.

This is a good a place as any to ask why I can't give people 1000 cans. I've been around long enough. Do you think I can't be trusted with the responsibility?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2012, 03:43:41 pm
This is a good a place as any to ask why I can't give people 1000 cans. I've been around long enough. Do you think I can't be trusted with the responsibility?

Nobody can be trusted with that responsibility.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2012, 04:48:27 pm
Now? It's like we decided to rewards the dog for soiling the carpet.

I rewarded you with a single can, as god's own dick intended it.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 22, 2012, 05:10:35 pm
is there like, a prize catalog wherein we can trade our cans for such as a sony walkman or a skateboard?
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2012, 05:43:20 pm
Man I was confused for a bit there. I thought you got shut out for season tickets on NFL.com or some shit.
Title: Re: Somewhat sheepishly returning to the ol' pigskin...
Post by: AugustWest on March 23, 2012, 02:05:58 am
What a world we have here. Used to be a pun would get you threatened with banishment and can deduction.

Now? It's like we decided to rewards the dog for soiling the carpet.


WOOF.