The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2011, 03:51:23 am

Title: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2011, 03:51:23 am
A two gallon water cooler is just about the right size to hold a large movie theater popcorn.

I was thinking, we have the Today I'm Gonna which is kinda like a Facebook thread, You Tube Thread, we have the Non Youtube thread which is kinda like our Reddit or Digg, so I thought, what the hell, might as well have our version of Twitter.  This thread would be that thread.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on September 21, 2011, 11:55:59 am
How is asshole bleaching done?

Does one just sit in a tub with some Clorox in it, or what?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 21, 2011, 12:05:09 pm
How is asshole bleaching done?

Does one just sit in a tub with some Clorox in it, or what?

i triple dog dare you to do a google image search of that question.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on September 21, 2011, 01:27:54 pm
I swear I heard a "pshh" noise while driving this morning. Now I'm super paranoid that there's shit in my tire
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 21, 2011, 02:32:15 pm
i just found the future mother of my children:

(http://michaelcreagh.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/fluvialacerda_michaelcreagh1a.jpg?w=497&h=649)

(http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/size-16-model-6.jpg)

(http://www.modasbrasil.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Fluvia-Lacerda.jpg)

her name is fluvia lacerda and she is a "plus size" model from brazil.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 21, 2011, 06:51:43 pm
In that first picture, yes, that is an amazingly hot lady. In the third, bleh, the make-up looks cartoonish.

Some of the hottest women in the world are plus-size models, for my money, the ones at the near-size of the plus size modeling, who really shouldn't even be considered plus size in a sane society. Damn.

5'11 and a little marshmellow pooch-belly please. HOT DAMN.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on September 22, 2011, 03:10:50 am
That woman is fuck*ng FINE.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 23, 2011, 08:34:43 pm
I'd hit that.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on September 23, 2011, 09:10:29 pm
no fat chicks.

there is a really particular size of lady, not horribly smaller than that, that turns off the man-brain and turns on the ape-brain.

THIS IS A HOMEBOY.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2011, 01:33:33 am
My vote would be for turquoise, but I am not your lady.

Thing I do at hardware stores:  try to convince myself out of 1) asking for help 2) buying supplies I don't have because I could make do with half-assed other stuff that would sort of do the job.  End result - asked for help, which was helpful, and bought the gloves that will protect from acids (I finally convinced myself that "no, my leather garden gloves are not a reasonable substitute).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on September 24, 2011, 04:59:03 am
would you call that turquoise? i'd say it's more of a sky blue. it's a little too rich to be baby blue- well, maybe not "rich" but- oh, you know what i'm saying. i feel like i'd like to see something pretty close to that, but with a little green added. you know? it's almost kind of a sapphire right now, isn't it. you know what, maybe mint *would* be nice. can i see that one?





~~~~~~~@~~~~~~~
||||||||||/\||||||||||
scene
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2011, 01:28:41 pm
Cornflower blue is what you call that.  In that my vintage wedding dress had tiny cornflower blue forget-me-nots embroidered on it, I'm even more partial to that colour than mint, so thumbs up from me.





Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 24, 2011, 08:18:23 pm
Truly random:

Without looking it up, I can recite:

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a penis. The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there. The children were tucked up all snug in their beds while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads. And Ma in her kerchief and I in my cap had just settled down for a long winter's nap. When up on the roof there arose such a clatter, I sprung from my bed to see what was the matter.

I get fuzzy after that, but...why do I know this? I never tried to memorize it, nor was its recitation any part of our family's holiday tradition. Why is it stuck in my brain?!?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on September 24, 2011, 08:40:44 pm
Sometimes, on the night before Christmas in my house, the c*ck are stirring.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on September 24, 2011, 11:15:21 pm
Sadly the cock I most enjoy doesn't get to stir much the night before Christmas, as we are always at my in law's house on the worst fuck*ng mattress in existence.  The first gift I get every Christmas morning for almost a decade has been searing back pain.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on September 25, 2011, 12:43:07 am
The gift of a new mattress for the guest room that only we ever sleep in, once or twice a year, would be hilariously rude. 

Random thought:  I have no idea what Laotian food tastes like, but I'm about to find out. 

Random thought: I am okay with the fact I am more satisfied having treated the deck in preparation for staining than I would be if I went out and partied tonight.  I am getting older and that is okay with me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 25, 2011, 03:46:28 am
Related to my previous post, I want spend some time committing "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to memory.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 27, 2011, 08:20:43 pm
Popcorn popped in sunflower oil is tasty. I wonder if it would be good popped in olive oil? Can you add a little butter to the oil during popping, or would it burn? So much to think about.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2011, 08:59:53 pm
I wonder if it would be good popped in olive oil?

Yes

Can you add a little butter to the oil during popping, or would it burn? So much to think about.

This is the only way to pop popcorn.  I only know about the olive oil thing because I was out of butter.  I also popped it in bacon grease one time.  But butter is definitely the way to go.  I'll bet mayo would work in a pinch.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on September 27, 2011, 10:23:53 pm
Wow, bacon grease. I bought Bacon Salt once to put on popcorn, but it turns out Bacon Salt is really nasty. Why didn't I just do it that way?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on September 27, 2011, 10:46:47 pm
ghee + coconut oil + popcorn salt = the best recipe
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on September 27, 2011, 10:57:02 pm
holy crap, I am so in love with my coworker. In a "you are a 31 year old lady with 2 kids and a nice husband" way.

"Cold weather is for the birds... but not really, because where are they to be found? South of course, because they're smart. It almost makes me never want to use that expression again. For the birds? As if the they're so foolish they'll just go for anything. Obviously not."

I really enjoy people with very distinct ways of speaking. I can hear her saying this when I read it.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 28, 2011, 12:27:13 am
This is the only way to pop popcorn.  I only know about the olive oil thing because I was out of butter.  I also popped it in bacon grease one time.  But butter is definitely the way to go.  I'll bet mayo would work in a pinch.

Being new to this whole non-pre-bagged-microwave-popcorn thing, I originally bought a small bottle of "popping and topping oil," because apparently I am an easy mark. I won't do that again; it's just a blend of a few different oils & a squirt of "artificial butter flavor." The sunflower oil is nice because you can turn the heat up a little higher without worrying about it burning, and it had a really nice sweet light flavor. I do sprinkle it with that fakey butter/salt powder, because I'm watching the calories a bit, but I'm seriously considering grated parmesan as a special treat. (I don't really care for cheddar.) But for that, I think olive oil would be better than sunflower.

Paul, do you usually pop it in straight-up butter? I would think the heat required to pop the corn would cause the butter to burn. I guess, looking back, my dad used to pop popcorn in butter when I was a kid, but he had this microwave doohickey that he used so I never thought about it. Also, Dad's popcorn -- though I love him dearly -- was never as good as the stovetop kind I've been making. It was butterier-tasting, but it was heavier and the kernels didn't seem to fluff up as big. Is this the result of using butter on it, or the result of the microwave technique?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2011, 12:33:33 am
I don't have any problem with burning.  The whole thing is over in about 3 minutes.  Maybe the butter doesn't have time to burn.

the kernels didn't seem to fluff up as big.

It might be Monsanto genetically altering your food.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on September 28, 2011, 01:02:13 am
The variety of popcorn matters a lot to how big the kernel puff up. It might even be the only thing. I can't say for sure because I only ever pop in a pot so I can't test different methods on the same variety, but I have used a lot of different varieties and even when popped the same they are different sizes.

Is there still Orville Reddenbacher popcorn? Those were always the poofiest. I once mailordered a whole sampler package of different exotic kinds of popcorn, different color kernels, heritage corn blah blah blah. In the end I wished I could still get the plain jar of Orville Reddenbacher that my local supermarket doesn't seem to carry anymore.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2011, 01:07:03 am
I think my local market has it.  I'll look next time I am there.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 28, 2011, 01:19:50 am
See, my dad used to use Orville and I just bought the cheap store brand popcorn. $1.47 for 2 pounds. I figured, corn is corn, you know?

I'm going to blame the ancient microwave doodad and try this butter thing tomorrow. I have been having a bowl of popcorn just about every afternoon for a snack -- it's the best way I've found to handle my afternoon munchies without blowing my calorie budget for the day. I think maybe I'll pop two pots side-by-side tomorrow -- one in butter and one in oil -- just as an experiment. I'm sure I can get my daughter to help me eat the extra.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on September 28, 2011, 01:32:51 am
Even with popcorn the cheap stuff is cheap stuff.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 28, 2011, 02:07:54 am
What kind of person misspells a person's last name (not a typo; an actual misspelling) while making a comment on that person's Facebook status? The correct spelling is right there; clearly, the dude's last name is Aldrich, not Aldridge. Who are you, that you're not too lazy to comment on his status but you're too lazy to know his name?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on September 28, 2011, 02:15:26 am
Even with popcorn the cheap stuff is cheap stuff.

But, sometimes, the cheap stuff isn't cheap. I mean, it's not cheaply made, or whatever. I buy a lot of store-brand stuff, most of it is just as good as the name-brand. In a few rare instances, it's better. (The store-brand noodle soup mix is not as salty as the name-brand, for instance.)

I will buy a bag of pricey kernels, though, and find out. Dammit, you guys, this is turning into a full-blown hobby. I just wanted to eat a tasty snack and stop giving so much money to Big Popcorn for their "convenient" disposable, microwaveable, carcinogen-laden (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/06/health/main3239379.shtml) bags. Should have known better than to mention it in front of a bunch of foodies, grumble grumble.

(Thanks for all the advice on something so simple; everybody else I've talked to about popping corn on the stove has been like, "yeah, but why?")
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2011, 02:17:20 am
So, in light of the death of the creator in a freak accident yesterday, I wanted to share The City Museum (http://citymuseum.org) with you guys. Probably the coolest thing mankind has ever made. It is worth coming to St Louis just to see it. Come, and I will ensnare you with our charming architecture, cheap rent, and great craft beer culture.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2011, 02:33:20 am
So, in light of the death of the creator in a freak accident yesterday, I wanted to share The City Museum (http://citymuseum.org) with you guys. Probably the coolest thing mankind has ever made. It is worth coming to St Louis just to see it. Come, and I will ensnare you with our charming architecture, cheap rent, and great craft beer culture.

THIS.  The City Museum is c.o.o.l.

Sad about the guy, though.  Didn't he roll a Bobcat or something like that?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 28, 2011, 02:50:38 am
So, in light of the death of the creator in a freak accident yesterday, I wanted to share The City Museum (http://citymuseum.org) with you guys. Probably the coolest thing mankind has ever made. It is worth coming to St Louis just to see it. Come, and I will ensnare you with our charming architecture, cheap rent, and great craft beer culture.

Damn, that is sad. I went there a few years back when it was the evening's entertainment for a conference. You may think you've had a lot of fun there, but if you haven't been there with a bunch of drunken ichthyologists, you don't know what you're missing.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2011, 04:04:28 am
It is insane that I spend a lot of time sitting around saying how I am bored, when I live within driving/bus/walking on a really nice day distance from this place.

Yeah, the preliminary theory is that his bulldozer flipped over and rolled down a hill. Apparently they found him in a right-side up bulldozer with injuries suggesting it had flipped?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on September 28, 2011, 04:10:36 am
I hold the superstitious belief that the sites I visit on my iPhone are some how more meaningful because my iPhone is the future.  Oh the magic of technology!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on September 28, 2011, 04:22:30 am
So, in light of the death of the creator in a freak accident yesterday, I wanted to share The City Museum (http://citymuseum.org) with you guys. Probably the coolest thing mankind has ever made. It is worth coming to St Louis just to see it. Come, and I will ensnare you with our charming architecture, cheap rent, and great craft beer culture.

What do you do if I show up?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2011, 05:25:16 am
Tell my girlfriend to lock herself in the basement.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on September 28, 2011, 05:44:19 am
You might want to find a spot next to her. (Apologies - I been drinking again.)

Seriously, though, I bet your girlfriend is absurdly hot.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2011, 05:45:37 am
I am having a fuckload of a good time, going around to open mics around Brooklyn and Manhattan, performing little eight minute sets where I read one angry left-wing political poem and then one goofy parody song acapella.

I see no way to make a goddamned dime off it but it feels so good. People seem to LIKE it and it is FUN.

This is my random thought that I wanted to share.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 28, 2011, 12:04:45 pm
I see no way to make a goddamned dime off it but it feels so good. People seem to LIKE it and it is FUN.

yeah, muhfuckah!  happiness rocks, aint?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2011, 01:17:28 pm
Tell my girlfriend to lock herself in the basement.

Can.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2011, 01:59:51 pm
It makes no sense how attractive my girlfriend is. I guess it helps that I am a very handsome young man.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2011, 06:32:13 pm
Yes

This is the only way to pop popcorn.  I only know about the olive oil thing because I was out of butter.  I also popped it in bacon grease one time.  But butter is definitely the way to go.  I'll bet mayo would work in a pinch.

I tried to pop popcorn in butter, but the butter burned before the first kernel popped. I had it on medium heat. What did I do wrong?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2011, 07:49:21 pm
I think it's really better to pop in oil and add butter later.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2011, 07:51:48 pm
I tried to pop popcorn in butter, but the butter burned before the first kernel popped. I had it on medium heat. What did I do wrong?

I think you answered your own question.  You popped it on medium heat.  Turn it up and your kernels will pop before the butter burns.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2011, 08:29:35 pm
I was afraid if I turned it up any further the butter would burn even faster. My range is kind of nuclear, I can boil water on 8 and I had the butter on 6. When I use sunflower oil, I set it it on 6 and it takes about 2 minutes to heat enough to pop the first kernel from room temperature. With the butter, I melted it, added a kernel, and 3 or 4 minutes passed, the test kernel hadn't popped and the butter was burnt. I don't know that turning the heat up would help.

I think it's really better to pop in oil and add butter later.

This is what I generally do. But I add fake butter-flavored powder because I am trying to be a little bit calorie-conscious with this whole thing. I'm eating popcorn as a healthy-ish alternative to crackers or chips, so adding real melted butter is counter to those goals. But the Kernel Season's stuff I bought is actually pretty darn good.

I ran out of regular kernels today so I popped a bag of microwave stuff I had left over. It tasted like styrofoam. It's kind of amazing how spoiled I've gotten.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2011, 08:49:26 pm
You know you don't have to do that "test kernel" thing and I'm guessing it's a bad idea if you are using butter.  You can just put the oil and all the popcorn in the pan at once. I guess with butter melt it first, but then you can just dump all the popcorn in at once.

Another thing is, if you buy good popcorn and pop it fresh, you might just try it without butter or fake butter powder at all. I have gotten used to eating it with just salt and now if I put butter on I don't even like it, it seems greasy and gross.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2011, 08:54:06 pm
I don't wait for the butter to melt.  I put the popcorn and the butter in at the same time.

I should make an instructional video.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on October 10, 2011, 08:59:49 pm
ghee + coconut oil + popcorn salt = the best recipe

perhaps i should elaborate. my popper* takes a cup of popcorn, and i use a quarter cup of fat divided roughly even between ghee and coconut oil. i'm sure the recipe will scale down well, so long as all you're doing is replacing the fat with half ghee/half coconut oil. after it's popped, i blast it with popcorn salt and toss it to distribute. it's a dry, crunchy, crispy popcorn with a great buttery flavor and none of the heaviness or sogginess that comes with melting butter.

granted, ghee and coconut oil aren't necessarily the cheapest ingredients in the world, but they've made such an impact on the quality of my popcorn that i can't imagine ever using another recipe if i can help it. also, they're not the worst things in the world for you: coconut oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil#In_food) is high in saturated fat, but we're talking about a small amount - 1/8 cup is roughly 25g, a quarter of what's in the linked table. there are also no trans fats here. it's good for your hair, skin, immunity, etc.** ghee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee#Nutrition) is also basically nothing but fat, being the milk solids that separate when clarifying butter, but it's not a trans fat either, and might just be linked to *better* cholesterol.** it's basically all better than partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, but then most everything is except a straight injection of HIV.


* i bought this at a yard sale for $65 about a year ago. it's been empty three times, once when someone was on their way to pick it up. there's always popcorn ready to snack on here, so we don't buy many other snacks unless we have a serious hankering for them. i've probably popped ten pounds of popcorn since we bought this thing, and it took me a couple of pounds to perfect the recipe. a couple of neighbors are also popcorn fanatics, and one of them has given up on beating my recipe. the other one likes to add flavorings, so we no longer compare notes. aaaaaanyway if you want to make some great popcorn, please give this recipe a shot. it's so so good.
(http://i.imgur.com/SRrXa.jpg) (http://i.imgur.com/SRrXa.jpg) (click for embiggenings)

** you're all smart people, you can research this stuff on your own if you care to.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2011, 09:05:17 pm
Duuuuude, I want that so bad.  Only $65, that's a steal.  My next artcar is gonna be a popcorn car and a real popcorn popping machine is going to be the centerpiece. 

Awesome!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2011, 10:01:37 pm
Popcorn is my favorite food, and while I certainly do not have space for such a contraption, it is most certainly the awesomist thing you could have in your home.

I do something somewhat similar to what some of the others noted - adding the butter and the kernels at the same time to a hand-crank popper, on medium heat.  My popper has a good lid that keeps the heat in and I don't open it to vent out any heat.  Seems to work fine for me. Personally, I add my salt after the popping, but I'm not making big batches like him.  As far as I'm concerned popcorn is all about the butter.  Butter is an absolute must. 

Choop is on to something with the ghee+coconut oil though - that's the basics of what the good movie theatre poppers use as well.  But then there's the post-popping topping, and well, that's gotta be butter.  I know it's not health conscious, and I DO NOT CARE.  I don't eat it that often anyway, and it's traditional or nothing when it comes to movie theatre snackery goodness.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on October 10, 2011, 10:31:45 pm
i gave away my whirley-pop after having this contraption for just a couple months. the guy who likes his popcorn flavored was thrilled to get it - but he uses the lid with his cast-iron pot, he just wanted the stirrer.

smells, you know most movie theatres use a nasty-assed oil sauce instead of butter on the bucket, right? you're not doing yourself any favors with that gagstrosity.

paul, i googled the make and model number after i bought it, the thing sells wholesale ONLY for almost ten times what i paid. your artcar friends MUST know someone with a local movie house, perhaps you can find a deal when they upgrade their concession stand. this one's previous owner was the voice of zorak on space ghost coast to coast and more.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2011, 11:15:41 pm
In celebration of this thread, I got to clean out the popcorn machine at my store today. GAGTASTIC. after a day of use every nook and cranny is full of oily salty "butter" flavor powder. Really bright yellow.

As long as we're random thinking, what with the ghee and all, do any of you guys make Daal? My first batch was to die for, but this time was really shitty. What ratio/what spices do you use? I just added turmeric until it was a pleasing color, and then dumped in cardamom, cayenne, salt, garlic, onion.
(other ingredients: grated carrots, diced tomato, tomato paste, lentils, heavy cream.)

Pretty embarrassed about how long it took to realize you can use a cheese grater on carrots. I am going to eat so many carrots now. I have learned, though, not to grate while a little drunk. My fingers got SHREDDED.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2011, 11:50:11 pm
Pretty embarrassed about how long it took to realize you can use a cheese grater on carrots. I am going to eat so many carrots now. I have learned, though, not to grate while a little drunk. My fingers got SHREDDED.

I too learned that basic fact just this year.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2011, 11:52:02 pm
paul, i googled the make and model number after i bought it, the thing sells wholesale ONLY for almost ten times what i paid. your artcar friends MUST know someone with a local movie house, perhaps you can find a deal when they upgrade their concession stand. this one's previous owner was the voice of zorak on space ghost coast to coast and more.

About 5 years ago I saw a popcorn popper for sale on ebay.  It was new, they had a bunch available.  it was about $400.  About the size of yours, but not built nearly as well as what you have.

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 11, 2011, 01:05:46 am
As long as we're random thinking, what with the ghee and all, do any of you guys make Daal? My first batch was to die for, but this time was really shitty. What ratio/what spices do you use? I just added turmeric until it was a pleasing color, and then dumped in cardamom, cayenne, salt, garlic, onion.
(other ingredients: grated carrots, diced tomato, tomato paste, lentils, heavy cream.)

We make basic lentils all the time. It would be dal if I mashed them up more, but the girls don't like them that way. 1 cup of lentils, 4 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric, boil for 20-30 minutes.

If I want to make a more grown-up version, I make a "tempering oil" as per an Indian cookbook I have.
Example the first: Couple tablespoons canola oil in a pan, add a teaspoon of cumin seeds, some dried red pepper flakes and/or a half-teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Cook that just a bit until it's all nice and fragrant, mix that into your lentils with a bit of lemon juice.
Or: Same as above but add a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger and a clove or two of minced garlic.

The book has other variations, but you get the idea. So good, so easy, so nutritious, so cheap.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 11, 2011, 01:59:15 am
smells, you know most movie theatres use a nasty-assed oil sauce instead of butter on the bucket, right? you're not doing yourself any favors with that gagstrosity.

The majority of theatres I go to offer the gunk for free, and charge 50 cent a squirt for real butter, which is what I go for.  Truth be told I'll take the oil splooge if butter isn't an option.  It must be both crunchy and glistening to pass my test.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2011, 02:56:07 am
Zorak!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 11, 2011, 03:19:02 am
"To them it's a delicious treat." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOxYKuaUqt8)  (The wasp is me, the eye juice is butter)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2011, 03:37:48 am
Looking up Dal recipes online, there are a lot of silly things I am doing in this dish.
1. cooking the lentils separately first
2. like 5 times too much turmeric
3. none of the recipes I found had cream in them, although I always think of dal as being rich and creamy.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 11, 2011, 05:16:59 am
Back in the day I worked at a bakery and I had to scrape built-up oil off some device - it was my default job when I wasn't doing anything else.

More to the point, I can't wait to fucking retire. That is my random thought.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 11, 2011, 02:26:15 pm
I am a cry baby.  I think I should just accept that instead of trying to fight it, which just makes it worse.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 11, 2011, 03:23:41 pm
Y'all are fancy. I just use a pot with a ventilated lid, and shake it, shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture.

But then, I'm popping maybe two tablespoons of kernels at a time, just enough for me and my daughter to share, and I'm doing it every day. I like being able to throw the pot in the dishwasher and have it ready the next day at snacktime. I do love popcorn, but I don't care for it as much if it's plain or with just salt. I do use significantly less buttery powder on stovetop-popped kernels than they put in the microwave bags, though; I like being able to taste, you know, corn. I sprinkle it on sparingly and don't use additional butter for the topping.

So far my favorite oil is sunflower, though olive oil is pretty good too. The coconut and ghee recipe sounds fantastic, but too rich for my blood. I ran out of cheap store-brand kernels, so I bought another bag of cheap stuff and a jar of Ruby Red gourmet whatchamacallits to do a blind taste-test on my family.

I thought the test kernel thing seemed like a waste of time, but that's what the directions on the package said so I went with it. I won't bother now that I've got the TOUAMB Seal of Approval.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2011, 04:27:58 pm
What do you guys think about Kettle Corn? I love kettle corn.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 11, 2011, 04:55:57 pm
I had kettle corn on Saturday. We went to a pumpkin farm about an hour from here (see Facebook for pics) and they were selling bags of kettle corn at a stand. We had packed lunch but I was still hungry after my sandwich so I got a bag to share...Pedro didn't love it and Kitten ate a few handfuls (I told her it was candy popcorn) and then decided it wasn't for her. Fine by me; I finished it off over the next day and a half myself. Yumm. Perfect for snacking on a long drive -- salty and sweet in one fell swoop.

State Fair this week! Gonna get me a deep-fried candy bar!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on October 11, 2011, 05:32:47 pm
i don't like sweet popcorn. kettle corn, caramel corn, cracker jack, fiddle faddle, whatever. it's for the birds, as far as i'm concerned.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2011, 05:45:02 pm
Come to think of it, I might like it less now than I used to. The last time I had it I was underwhelmed. In the past I loved this Trader Joe's kettle corn, and thought it was the perfect blend of salty and sweet.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 11, 2011, 07:17:47 pm
I never had it as a kid. Maybe that's the key. I have a rather prominent sweet tooth, though.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 11, 2011, 08:39:09 pm
I have been making my own popcorn too.  I usually just put way to much olive oil instead of trying to fuck with butter.  If I do, it is tiny pieces in the bowl afterwards microwaved for like 10 seconds.  That way sucks.  And, oh, as a vegan, by butter I mean smart balance in the small containers (the big ones aren't vegan).  Also, garlic powder and salt!

And I have never been able to eat more than like 3 pieces of kettle corn before hating it.  Those first few are pretty good though, I guess.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2011, 12:28:36 am
Here you go JL, I made you an Instructional Video (http://youtu.be/KcQnaQY1fkY).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 12:38:44 am
Paul, there are not enough cans. So rad. I feel so loved right now.

Some differences I notice between your method and mine: oil vs. butter, of course. And you use a skillet; I use a saucepan. And you have a gas range; mine's electric (ceramic). I wonder if that's why my butter was burning; I was putting it in the pan while the stove was cool and letting it heat gradually before adding the popcorn. I will experiment with pre-heating the pan before adding the butter and see how that goes.

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 02:48:48 pm
Ash, I am a nerd. Overthinking everything is what I do.

Made some of the fancy stuff side by side with the cheap stuff last night. Definitely a difference -- Pedro heavily preferred the gourmet stuff without knowing which was which. (I thought it was tastier too, but knowing how much I paid might have influenced that.) The  kernels were noticeably whiter and the hulls were smaller. The only thing that was a little wierd was the the hulls were dark red, so after popping they appeared slightly burnt. They tasted great, though.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 05:25:22 pm
Yeah, I mean. If i just wanted to eat passably tasty popcorn for cheap I have that down pat. But having popcorn and watching Star Trek before bed at night has become A Thing for me & Pedro, and I think it is fun to try different types and experiment with different cooking styles. Previously, we did something similar with vanilla ice cream and various mix-ins. Popcorn is certainly healthier, at least.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2011, 05:50:59 pm
which star trek?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2011, 08:27:37 pm
That's a nice google doodle for Art Clokey's 90th birthday.

I'm not sure whether to thank or kidney-punch Eddie Murphy, though. As soon as I saw the doodle I had "I'M GUMBY, DAMMIT" flash through my head.

We've already had the discussion about Gumby's Pizza and their famous Gumby, Dammit!, right?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2011, 09:00:34 pm
which star trek?

TNG, at the moment. Pedro has seen most of them multiple times, but I've never seen half of them and I like watching things in order.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 12, 2011, 09:04:16 pm
Random Thought:  Fresh salmon for dinner?  Yes.  Also a spinach salad, with goat cheese and nuts. 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2011, 06:14:15 am
Here you go JL, I made you an Instructional Video (http://youtu.be/KcQnaQY1fkY).

That's the first time I've ever heard your voice, I think. Not exactly what I expected.

My favorite part of the video is the sparks coming off the burner grill where it interfaces with the skillet.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 13, 2011, 06:56:39 am
How will you do the samlon?

i vote for throw it in a frying pan with half a stick of butter and shake the ever living hell out of it, just like in pauls video.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2011, 12:39:16 pm
That's the first time I've ever heard your voice, I think. Not exactly what I expected.


He sounds just like his father. Just younger, is all.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 13, 2011, 01:02:30 pm
I'm going to be so annoyed later when I can't find the thread about popcorn no matter how many thread titles I scroll through.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2011, 01:31:28 pm
I was thinking maybe we should split it out? For essentially the same reason.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 13, 2011, 02:08:40 pm
What would be the fun of that?
Title: Re: Random Popcorn Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 13, 2011, 02:15:14 pm
Random Popcorn Thoughts.  Popcorn deserves it's own thread.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 13, 2011, 04:05:25 pm
Speaking of popcorn . . . (http://youtu.be/5eoSXpNZD9o)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2011, 05:12:30 am
Random thought (that I'm sure many other people have thought):

Gene Simmons started dating Cher because she looks so much like Paul Stanley.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 08:15:37 am
Gene Simmons started dating Cher because she looks so much like Paul Stanley.

Well that, maybe, but moreso I think because he is a fame whore (and so is she).

That link you posted the other day of Kiss on Tom Snider led me to this (http://youtu.be/LHGP--wVqDQ) Kiss on Mike Douglas.  The interview with Gene Simmons is cringe worthy, but then they really rock hard on Firehouse.

PS- Todie Fields is cool.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 08:56:53 am
This (http://youtu.be/2AxlABiNoTM) was my first glimpse of Kiss when I was 13 years old.  Understandably I fuck*ng loved it.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 12:01:00 pm
Random thought of the day: Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only woman in the world whose armpits get five o'clock shadow.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 03:05:29 pm
similar wonder: I wonder if I am the only guy whose one-hour-after-shaving shadow has the pleasant texture of sandpaper.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2011, 04:21:33 pm
Well that, maybe, but moreso I think because he is a fame whore (and so is she).

That link you posted the other day of Kiss on Tom Snider led me to this (http://youtu.be/LHGP--wVqDQ) Kiss on Mike Douglas.  The interview with Gene Simmons is cringe worthy, but then they really rock hard on Firehouse.

PS- Todie Fields is cool.

Seriously, though, Paul and Cher could be twins. It never really occurred to me before.

Also, I watched that Mike Douglas interview thing too, and exactly. I actually felt kind of bad for Gene because that shit was so tired even then, and that's saying something because Gene fuck*ng exhausts me. Black Diamond is fuck*ng awesome, though.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 04:38:02 pm
similar wonder: I wonder if I am the only guy whose one-hour-after-shaving shadow has the pleasant texture of sandpaper.

Oh, see, man-stubble is sexy. Five o'clock shadow on a man's face says, "I am so manly, I produce testosterone...without even trying."

Stubble in a girl's armpits says, "I'm trying to be a Lady, and I've failed."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 04:54:58 pm
yeah, it is sexy to look at, but it is less sexy when I give my lady rug burn. My sex life doesn't involve anything vigorously rubbing against anyones armpits.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 05:08:54 pm
yeah, it is sexy to look at, but it is less sexy when I give my lady rug burn. My sex life doesn't involve anything vigorously rubbing against anyones armpits.

Oh, well, you're young yet.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 18, 2011, 05:13:53 pm
Stubble in a girl's armpits says, "I'm trying to be a Lady, and I've failed."

maybe its genetic?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 05:26:33 pm
maybe its genetic?

No doubt. I'm descended from some pretty hirsute women, honestly.

Why oh why could I not have gotten these genes from my oddly hairless dad?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 18, 2011, 06:54:07 pm
Black Diamond is fuck*ng awesome, though.


I was all whoa, someone else wrote that replacements song.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 18, 2011, 07:02:04 pm
Underarm STUBBLE on a lady can be kinda cute, actually, in certain situations.

It can suggest that she is an ass-kicking sexy grown-up tomboy who ain't got the time to touch up every detail every day, she is too bust kicking ass and taking sexy numbers.

Full-on growth under there is, yeah, a turn-off for me but a day or three of stubble is neutral to me and even kinda cool in the occasional situation.

There is something plastic about a woman who is completely primped at all non-sleeping moments that unnerves me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 18, 2011, 07:21:45 pm
yeah, that stubble just makes me want to tickle.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 07:38:20 pm
Damn, Sasquatch!  Ha ha, just kidding.  Stubble under your arms is good.  It makes me think about the stubble in your #####.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 07:42:54 pm
I might want to believe that my lack of vigilance in the underarm department is attractive, but no amount of wishful thinking is going to make me believe that bikini stubble is sexy.

Nice try, guys.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2011, 07:51:14 pm
Nice try, guys.

I had to take a can away for calling us on our bullshit, but then I gave a can for the funny.  Score this hole par.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 18, 2011, 08:21:26 pm
I enjoy little hints of evidence that I am making time with an actual living human female, not just a shiny parody of one.

I'm shallow enough where I'll admit a total lack of effort is unattractive but, you know, the little rough edges can honestly be hot.

Reminds me that we're both just creatures on a certain level and there's a certain heat and urgency and abandon to that thought.

My girlfriend only wears  make-up to job interviews and weddings and I LIKE that.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 18, 2011, 08:36:17 pm
My girlfriend only wears  make-up to job interviews and weddings and I LIKE that.

Me, too. Well, sometimes to church, if I'm up early enough and the kids cooperate. And sometimes on our once-a-month date nights, if we go someplace fancy.

I like that I know *how* to put on makeup, having been raised by one of those women who won't even go to the grocery store without full makeup and perfect hair. But I thoroughly enjoy the freedom of not giving a fuck what most people think of my appearance.

Mainly, the underarm stubble comment -- which was intended to be a passing thought, not a full-blown debate, I think we are missing the point of this random thoughts thread -- came about because it doesn't feel good to have, speaking as the grower of the hair in question. Even less so on the bikini area. I got lazy about tidying up my lady bits last week, and the resulting irritation and chafing was so bad I had to skip wearing panties for about a day and a half.

But I thought I'd mention the armpits instead, because it seemed more polite.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 18, 2011, 11:36:14 pm
No doubt. I'm descended from some pretty hirsute women, honestly.

Why oh why could I not have gotten these genes from my oddly hairless dad?

ive heard of other ladies that have a similar heritage to you complain about body hair woes.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 01:01:07 am
When my thyroid was out of whack, it was great. I could go two weeks without shaving and have barely a thing. If I waxed? Months.

Of course, the hair on my head was also falling out in clumps, and I felt like I was going to die any moment most of the time, but the whole not-having-to-shave thing was pretty awesome.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on October 19, 2011, 01:22:08 am
the little rough edges can honestly be hot.

I honestly have a thing for slightly fucked up teeth. Could just be because I'm self-conscious about my own teeth, but there's something attractive about a lady whose teeth aren't unnaturally white and straight.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2011, 02:17:11 am
I honestly have a thing for slightly fucked up teeth.

Bad teeth are my kryptonite.  You're talking about slightly crooked teeth, like Jewel has for instance, which can be cute, , but for me, bad teeth in general are probably my biggest turn off.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:40:31 am
Stubble in a girl's armpits says, "I'm trying to be a Lady, and I've failed."

Cannot disagree more vigorously.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 08:16:37 am
Kiss meets the Paul Lynde of the Park (http://youtu.be/6MWQl1auShg).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 11:36:02 am
They're no Deerhoof (http://youtu.be/y287Zpj58VI).

Seriously, whatever happened to spectacle?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 19, 2011, 01:46:02 pm
Last night as the kids were getting ready for bed, I picked up one of my older daughter's Judy Moody books. On one page the kids were talking about making "the world's longest human centipede."

Thanks, Tom Six, for ruining that.  The woman who writes the Judy Moody books hates you.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 03:06:00 pm
There should be a law that you have to get written permission from anyone whose property borders yours before you're allowed to plant bamboo.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 19, 2011, 03:18:32 pm
Probably there should be a law against planting bamboo outside its natural habitat really.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2011, 03:42:24 pm
Unless you have a panda you really shouldn't plant bamboo.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 04:01:58 pm
I get that some people want bamboo. There are lots of reasons to grow it, not the least of which is it's pretty and easy to care for. But when you plant it near a fence and don't bother to dig down and put in a root barrier to contain it, the people who will move in to the house behind you five years after you've left will hate you.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:06:31 pm
There are two kinds of bamboo - if you're planting near a border, plant the kind that doesn't spread.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 04:10:03 pm
They all spread, but clumping spreads more slowly.

This asshole planted running bamboo. And the thing that kills me is, he decided later he didn't want it, and somehow he was able to kill his without bothering the stuff in my yard, the bastard. He (or the people who moved in after him) must have cut it off and put in an undeground barrier after it had already infested the rest of the yards around him. It's terrorism, is what it is.

As if it weren't bad enough, that the lady who lived here before us planted wisteria.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2011, 04:11:08 pm
I get these yellow flowers that have moved all through our backyard beds, and there is also mint everywhere. Fuck mint.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 04:17:42 pm
I grow mint, but only in a pot. Otherwise, yeah, fuck mint.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on October 19, 2011, 04:26:07 pm
As if it weren't bad enough, that the lady who lived here before us planted wisteria.

To paraphrase a wise woman: Sometimes I don't know what the fuck you people are talking about and I'm OK with that.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 19, 2011, 05:22:48 pm
I think there is no root barrier on earth that will contain some kinds of bamboo, it really just shouldn't be done. Evil stuff.

I'm currently toying with an idea for a science fiction story that involves importing animals from another planet. I want it to start out where everything's cool and we're doing it right because mankind finally really learned the lesson about invasive species, but I keep being derailed by bitter laughter at the utter improbability of that scenario. It's too unlikely even for science fiction.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 19, 2011, 05:46:54 pm
I think there is no root barrier on earth that will contain some kinds of bamboo, it really just shouldn't be done. Evil stuff.

I'm currently toying with an idea for a science fiction story that involves importing animals from another planet. I want it to start out where everything's cool and we're doing it right because mankind finally really learned the lesson about invasive species, but I keep being derailed by bitter laughter at the utter improbability of that scenario. It's too unlikely even for science fiction.

Do it.

Those of you with kids who watched Veggie Tales will know what I mean when I say that I am pretty sure The Rumor Weed was inspired by Phil Vischer trying to dig bamboo out of his garden.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2011, 05:52:20 pm
Here's a random thought for you.  Did you know that Veggie Tales is a Jewish thing?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on October 20, 2011, 02:38:13 am
To paraphrase a wise woman: Sometimes I don't know what the fuck you people are talking about and I'm OK with that.

Word.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2011, 03:13:29 am
Here's a random thought for you.  Did you know that Veggie Tales is a Jewish thing?

Really?  In my informal google search everything I find describes them as children's entertainment promoting Christian values, where  do you get the "Jewish thing" from?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on October 20, 2011, 04:30:33 am
Bad teeth are my kryptonite.  You're talking about slightly crooked teeth, like Jewel has for instance, which can be cute, , but for me, bad teeth in general are probably my biggest turn off.
I honestly have a thing for slightly fucked up teeth. Could just be because I'm self-conscious about my own teeth, but there's something attractive about a lady whose teeth aren't unnaturally white and straight.
Girls in Japan are going to the orthodontist for this look
(http://osakapop.com/posts/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/yaeba_rinanagasaki.jpg)

Is it right to call them an orthodontist if they're taking straight teeth and making them crooked?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2011, 05:20:27 am
Let me clarify.  Crooked teeth are cute.  Dirty diseased or missing teeth is gross. Very gross.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 20, 2011, 05:42:04 am
I find crooked teeth really distracting. Even if they are only a little crooked.

Right now I am debating which winter boots to buy. I found these LL Bean ones that I really like, that have great reviews. "I've had mine for 10 years," etc. On the other hand, there are these other ones that are 20$ cheaper, and probably look just as good in real life. Unfortunately, crappy photography on the second pair.

I have definitely decided that my past solutions to this problem (1. buy shitty boots that wore out really fast 2. wear normal sneakers all winter) were failures.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 20, 2011, 05:53:07 am
I'm kind of a stickler for good skin and good teeth. Bad teeth or bad skin can deduct 20% of attractiveness off a lady for me.

I think we all got our ways that we hew toward the common conceptions of beauty and hew away from the common conceptions.

I tend to not have the common view of where a lady is too heavy-set to be attractive and I tend to enjoy all forms of noses whereas some fellows seem to only want a lady with a conventionally white-lookin' nose. I like women of a height that some fellows would find intimidating or vaguely masculine.

But good skin and good teeth are ten hells of important to me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 20, 2011, 06:04:20 am
Here's a random thought for you.  Did you know that Veggie Tales is a Jewish thing?
I call bullshit.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2011, 07:19:27 am
I call bullshit.

A couple of years ago I was at the home of friends who are Jewish and they put on Veggie Tales for their daughter to watch.  I was surprised they were watching Veggie Tales because I thought it was Christian.  They insisted that it was made by and for Jews.  That's why all of their "tales" are from the old testament.  They pointed out all the Jewish names in the credits as further proof that it was a Jewish show.

Obviously it's not exclusively for Jews because Christians and even some non believers love it too.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 20, 2011, 07:33:15 am
Doing some simple research, the first two things advertised on their website's store were Veggie Tale adaptations of "O Holy Night" and "The Little Drummer Boy" so...

I think your friends are wrong, respectfully.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 20, 2011, 07:36:19 am
A couple of years ago I was at the home of friends who are Jewish and they put on Veggie Tales for their daughter to watch.  I was surprised they were watching Veggie Tales because I thought it was Christian.  They insisted that it was made by and for Jews.  That's why all of their "tales" are from the old testament.  They pointed out all the Jewish names in the credits as further proof that it was a Jewish show.

Obviously it's not exclusively for Jews because Christians and even some non believers love it too.

Respectfully, I think this belongs in "Shit my___________says".
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2011, 12:42:11 pm
Now we are arguing about what religion vegetables are?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2011, 02:50:27 pm
Now we are arguing about what religion vegetables are?

It's important that we understand that vegetables are individual and free to choose their own faiths.  It's also important to recognize that the Veggie Tales veggies are performers, fully capable of portraying vegetables of any faith regardless of their personal spiritual choices. 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 04:43:50 pm
Doing some simple research, the first two things advertised on their website's store were Veggie Tale adaptations of "O Holy Night" and "The Little Drummer Boy" so...

I think your friends are wrong, respectfully.

They are definitely Christian-themed. Yes, they have a number of episodes that include only Old Testamant/Torah stories, and also some "secular-esque" shows (the Larry Boy bits, specifically) that teach morality without being strictly bible-based. But they have also done several episodes about Easter and "The True Meaning of Christmas." I am pretty sure I remember an interview in which Mike Nawrocki says that they did this deliberately to be inclusive of Jewish and Muslim families, and families that are "spiritual but not religious." Still, if you are a parent who wants to make sure your kids aren't exposed to overt Christian themes, you'd have to put in the effort to pre-view the episodes before you let your kids watch them.

You might want to tell your Jewish friends this, actually -- if they're parking the kids in front of VT without knowing that even some of the Hebrew Bible stories have quotes from the NT at the end, they might want to re-think their blanket approval of all things Veggie. Depending how strict they are. I know another Jewish Mom who lets her kids watch select Veggie Tales, but she also uses it to talk to them about the differences between Christianity and Judaism.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2011, 05:24:06 pm
In the Jewish edition of Veggie Tales, the tip is cut off of Larry the Cucumber.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2011, 05:55:23 pm
Thanks guys.  I should not have taken what my friends said at face value.  Who does that anymore in the age of Google?  My bad.  They seemed so proud.  I'm gonna hate to disappoint them.

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 06:41:25 pm
I like women of a height that some fellows would find intimidating or vaguely masculine.


I think tall women are fabulous. I myself am slightly above average at 5'7"; I knew a girl in college who was 6' and she was mega hot. Worked as a bouncer at the local Friday night showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 20, 2011, 07:00:51 pm
Tall ladies are super hot. Normally I go for the short ones, myself. But tall ladies? Come on. hot.

Just now I officially Failed at a project I have been working on for a while, "stop apologizing all the damn time." Just got an email reassuring me that I don't need to apologize about something stupid that I apologized for. What is wrong with me?
I actually have a step when writing any correspondance where I stop myself from hitting Send, and go through the whole thing and take out anything that sounds like an apology. Something still snuck through the cracks.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2011, 07:09:59 pm
I knew a girl in college who was 6" and she was mega hot. Worked as a bouncer at the local Friday night showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

6" is not very tall at all.  Reminds me of this (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1015690/spinal_tap_stonehenge/).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 07:33:48 pm
6" is not very tall at all.  Reminds me of this (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1015690/spinal_tap_stonehenge/).

LOL. Fixed that, thanks.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on October 20, 2011, 08:04:49 pm
My ladyfriend is like 5'5" but is taller than me in heels. She checked with me several times before she wore heels around me. Apparently some dudes seriously hate that shit.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 20, 2011, 08:06:45 pm
This (http://sugarcrafter.net/2011/09/23/pumpkin-monkey-bread/) is pretty soundly dominating my psyche. I want this so much.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2011, 08:07:37 pm
I specifically wore 4" heels on our wedding day so that I would be as tall as Pedro. I think, with his dress shoes, he was about half an inch shorter than I was. He digs it.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2011, 08:13:43 pm
This (http://sugarcrafter.net/2011/09/23/pumpkin-monkey-bread/) is pretty soundly dominating my psyche. I want this so much.

Skinny Jeans dude!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 20, 2011, 09:35:53 pm
yeah, honestly, I would rather eat this than wear my skinny jeans.

Also, the winning consensus is "eat Pumpkin Monkey Bread, and do more physical activity than walking up the stairs to your apartment."

My roommates response to this recipe was an email which only read

Quote
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2011, 10:24:28 pm
This (http://sugarcrafter.net/2011/09/23/pumpkin-monkey-bread/) is pretty soundly dominating my psyche. I want this so much.

That sounds good, but I am too lazy anymore to bake anything that's more work than this:
http://backtoherroots.com/2011/08/04/90-second-nutella-chocolate-cake/ (http://backtoherroots.com/2011/08/04/90-second-nutella-chocolate-cake/)
Fortunately it is AWESOME.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on October 20, 2011, 11:03:59 pm
ash i found a new avatar for you

(http://www.absolutepunk.net/customavatars/avatar753162_10.gif)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 21, 2011, 08:49:34 pm
Hurm hurm hurm...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Now I'm going to get so confused! I'm going to think, who the hell is this new guy with the lame avatar?!?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on October 21, 2011, 08:51:19 pm
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Now I'm going to get so confused! I'm going to think, who the hell is this new guy with the lame avatar?!?

Are you questioning Ron Swanson?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on October 21, 2011, 11:32:34 pm
I actually really like that for Ash.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 22, 2011, 12:32:14 am
Are you questioning Ron Swanson?


I have no idea who Ron Swanson is, but I am definitely questioning the decision to choose an avatar that is kind of off-putting, instead of oddly sci-fi-sexy.

How am I going to pretend that Ash is a pointy-haired space traveler now?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 22, 2011, 01:01:42 am
Ron Swanson has long reminded me of the Ash
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 22, 2011, 04:29:45 am
Is that "hurm hurm hurm" from ZZ Top's La Grange?

That's the only hurm hurm hurm I know in popular culture.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 22, 2011, 04:47:56 am
That's not hurm hurm hurm, it's haw haw haw and hmm hmm hmm.  No hurms.

haw haw haw (http://youtu.be/Vppbdf-qtGU).

And here's a video where I talk about the chicken ranch (http://youtu.be/Tlmc7tN4a8A).

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on October 22, 2011, 06:03:06 am
jl, just look up parks&rec on hulu some time. it might be an acquired taste, but i think it's one of the best things on tv these days.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 22, 2011, 06:21:51 am
jl, just look up parks&rec on hulu some time. it might be an acquired taste, but i think it's one of the best things on tv these days.

if you dont want to watch the show, but are still curious about ron fuck*ng swanson, there lots of clips on youtube.  also, this (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/12/09/arts/pyramid/pyramid-jumbo.jpg) is his essence, boiled down.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on October 23, 2011, 07:03:41 am
And here's a video where I talk about the chicken ranch (http://youtu.be/Tlmc7tN4a8A).
I had no idea your Texas accent was so pronounced.  (Its a good thing, although I immediately thought of King of the Hill).  You're quite the raconteur!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on November 04, 2011, 11:56:17 pm
Has anybody put together a Wall Street-themed porn called "Too Big To Fail?"

It pretty much writes itself.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 06, 2011, 03:31:09 am
When I was one of two guys left in my commercial real estate slinging gig, the only way to not be monitored was to step outside for a smoke. Kind of dazed by a mid morning pep talk the other guy looked at me, totally confused, "Did our boss just tell us to go to the mall and chill out?"
 "I don't know aaron, I can't figure out if that was a trick to see which one of us he would fire"
~Random Thoughts 11/5/11~
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 06, 2011, 04:21:11 am
"Auntie Anne's Pretzels are for closers!"
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 06, 2011, 06:46:53 pm
Was it a mall that you were selling?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2011, 04:52:52 am
(http://i.imgur.com/D0znJ.jpg)

rough chuckles
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 09, 2011, 07:59:45 pm
You lose 10pts when you say Munts where Months is the appropriate word. Also "Nother" as in "That is whole nother issue"
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 09, 2011, 09:05:02 pm
I have found myself saying "a whole 'nother," which I find amusing because I would never write that (except in a meta instance such as this).

My pronunciation pet peeve: the word "mittens" has T's in it. TWO of them. They are NOT SILENT, people.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on November 09, 2011, 09:23:18 pm
Kittens
Shuttle
Little

The vernacular is evolving towards these being pronounced with a glottal (or is that a glo'al) stop instead of a hard t.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on November 09, 2011, 10:14:35 pm
Mi'ens is a Thing in the midwest. I don't say it that way, but I grew up around a lot of people who did.

I confess to saying "nother." But I intend it ironically.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2011, 12:09:34 am
I don't see anything wrong with "nother."

And glottal stop for t in American English before a syllabic consonant like n (as in kitten) has been normal since basically forever. If that's how we said it when I took my first phonetics class in high school there is no way it can be a recent evolution, unfortunately for me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2011, 12:24:18 am
koppenhaver is a common name around here, but everyone says "CUPPenhaver", including me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2011, 04:25:13 am
I can't hear the difference between "pin" and "pen".
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2011, 04:31:57 am
can't hear it, or don't say it?

I can't do dawn/don.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on November 10, 2011, 05:06:23 am
Kittens
Shuttle
Little

The vernacular is evolving towards these being pronounced with a glottal (or is that a glo'al) stop instead of a hard t.

Is the american midwest being invaded by cockney street urchins?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2011, 01:26:51 pm
I can't hear the difference between "pin" and "pen".

Isn't this because round your parts, they don't say a difference between pin and pen?

I think the dialect I speak has the most different vowels possible in American English. I feel sad for people whose vowel systems are impoverished.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2011, 01:31:41 pm
I feel sad for people whose vowel systems are impoverished.

scandinavians?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2011, 02:47:39 pm
Other Americans, I mean.

Also sometimes they are annoying. I once had to stop watching a TV show about dinosaurs because the narrator didn't have the Don/Dawn distinction and every time she said the last vowel in "dinosaur" it drove me crazy.

I don't know whether there's any change going on to have more dialects gain or lose this distinction, but if it is getting lost, this is how I would go off the deep end: putting my foot down that this must stop.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2011, 03:10:24 pm
Isn't this because round your parts, they don't say a difference between pin and pen?



Right.  Because there isn't one.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 03:38:28 pm
How would you say "couch"?

The street here is pronounced "cooch".

How would you say "glisan"?

The street here is pronounced "gleason".

I have twenty of these, at least. Street names here are weird.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2011, 03:43:58 pm
I tease Pedro because he pronounces the "th" in "clothes." He teases me because I say "coupon" as "KYU pon" instead of "COO pon." We're just a mixed-up modern family, I guess.

We have a town nearby called Wendell. It's pronounced with the accent on both syllables: WEN DELL. (Or, sometimes, WAYN DAYLE.) In fact, somebody on my FB feed just posted a link to this piece on our local news web site that details all the weird local pronunciations that are not at all intuitive:

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/blogpost/10331495/ (http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/blogpost/10331495/)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
In the small town where I lived in PA apparently all short vowels are interchangeable. The pin/pen thing came up all the time, as did sket and skitch.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2011, 04:52:20 pm
all street names here are mispronounced in funny ways. And not always in an intuitive "Americans trying to pronounce French" way.

Have I told you guys the story about how my dad didn't realize his Boston accent was abrasive and weird to non-Bostoners/ that he even had "an accent" until he was in his mid twenties?

Some LA surfer bum laughed his ass off when he said "hi, can I get a lahge fry?"
The Boston accent is hard to transcribe. Think less JFK, more Clip and Clap.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2011, 05:03:03 pm
My BFF's parents are from Beantown. Her dad sounds just like Cliff Claven.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2011, 06:08:23 pm
PONSS duh LEE-yon

(a major thoroughfare that every new-to-towner calls PONE-say day lay-OWN)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 10, 2011, 11:46:56 pm
How would you say "couch"?

The street here is pronounced "cooch".

How would you say "glisan"?

The street here is pronounced "gleason".

I have twenty of these, at least. Street names here are weird.

Couch Street is pronounced that way because the guy it's named after's name is pronounced that way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H._Couch

Apparently they're mispronouncing Glisan, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Glisan
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: smick on November 11, 2011, 12:17:42 am
And Naito Parkway.

It's named after the Naito family, they pronounce it NIGH-to, everyone else pronounces it NAY-to.

I had a door to door sales person correct me.   Fuck you door to door sales person.   
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 11, 2011, 12:20:15 am
How-sten street, manhattan
Nor-fuck, Va.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on November 11, 2011, 12:33:32 am
How-sten street, manhattan

Yeah, how did y'all get that one so fucked up?

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on November 11, 2011, 01:04:31 am
Couch Street is pronounced that way because the guy it's named after's name is pronounced that way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H._Couch

Apparently they're mispronouncing Glisan, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Glisan

I don't care about any John Couch.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 11, 2011, 01:16:51 am
I don't care about any John Couch.

Not even for his singular skill at navigation of the mouth of the Columbia River?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: AugustWest on November 11, 2011, 02:18:34 am
I don't care about any John Couch.

That sounds like a multi-user outhouse.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on November 11, 2011, 04:19:26 am
I used to live in Falls Crick (Creek) just outside of Do Boys (DuBois). I think we've already discussed Lan-cah-STIR vs. Lan-CAST-er
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on November 11, 2011, 04:23:12 am
victoria waterfield are you secretly kate beaton.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on November 11, 2011, 05:52:00 am
My STL native coworker corrected me, that "Juniata" is pronounced "Juanita."

I couldn't decide whether he is right, because people in STL are dumb, or he is wrong, because he is mixing up the letters in his head.

I can never remember whether Lindell is "lin-DELL" or "lin-DULL."

Chouteau is show-tow. Gravois is Gra (like the sound in Gravel)-voice
Laclede is La-cleede.

Also, the area where Germans lived is called Dutchtown. Because, you know, Deutch.

(the area where the Irish lived is called Dogtown, so it could be worse.)

Also, in Saint Louis they call Mississippi water with a dead raccoon soaking in it "beer," and sell it to the rest of the country.

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 11, 2011, 06:12:02 am
victoria waterfield are you secretly kate beaton.

Holy shit I wish

I have only ever done one historical comic and it is about the McDLT
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on November 11, 2011, 06:59:52 am
I have only ever done one historical comic and it is about the McDLT

who gave you this gift of the funny? you got it so true. i got funny regifted once after it went through like seven pregiftings and that shit just ain't as pure, i need to locate the source and tap it. like ponss duh lee-yon and the fountain of youth, there's an analogy there with me and syntax of colons &c.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2011, 03:53:19 pm
What is with the internet being on such high alert, waiting for Zsa-Zsa Gabor to die?  It's been a couple years of non-news stories about how ill she is... come on internet.  Relax.  Just wait it out and tell us when she's died.  Half the people who use the internet know her as little more than a sick old lady who was famous before their time for some unknown reason.  Take a step back, internet.  We really don't need regular updates about her condition.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 14, 2011, 02:54:19 pm
On one of my softball teams, we had a guy named Stuart who was from the far southwest corner of Virginia. It might as well have been Tennessee. He had a bit of an accent.

We had another guy on the team name of Ron Shields. At one game, every time Ron came up to bat, Stuart would shout, "C'mon, Painey! Let's go, Painey! Get a hit, Painey!"  After the third time of this, I had to ask, "Stuart, why the hell are you calling Ron 'Painey?'"  And he said "You know, Ron 'Painey' Shields!"

It took a moment to register that he was attempting to say "panty shields." Hilarity ensued.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on November 15, 2011, 12:06:16 pm
I had a guy from Louisiana tell me about "bald shrimp." It took some explaining for me to realize he was saying "boiled shrimp."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on November 16, 2011, 04:39:46 am
Yeah, we ball shrimp here in Houston too.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 16, 2011, 05:06:54 am
Yeah, we ball shrimp here in Houston too.

"you got some perty mouth parts.... squeal like a shrimp!"
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on November 16, 2011, 03:02:31 pm
My mom doesn't have a Facebook she uses or a smartphone she understands, but the other night when I was over watching some shows she DVR'd for me, I had to ask her to start it up for me because I don't know how to use the newfangled cable boxes.

I am in a weird generational place when it comes to technology, and probably a lot of people my age are, where there are new technologies that are tied to old technologies  on which we have completely pulled ourselves out of the loop. Like cable TV and landline phones (hey mom, how do you delete messages from this answering machine?) and sewing machines -- even fancy modern ones that do embroidery and accept USB drives full of elaborate designs that you can download with specialized software. She does not know about internet radio, but she has a machine that converts LP records to MP3s.

If the technology gap is getting bigger, it's because my generation understands one kind of new technology, and my parents' generation understands a completely different set of equally complicated technology.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on November 16, 2011, 03:29:20 pm
That post is like my whole morning.

The Tech Staff has set up the TV in the basement with fancy speakers and with the ability to play stuff either from the cable box or streaming from a laptop or the blu-ray player. There are so many things plugged in together and you have to adjust a setting on each one (to say nothing of so many remote controls) and the result is that sometimes I can't figure out how to watch plain old TV.

And this morning, I got everything set to the right settings and suddently the sound stopped working. I called him at work and he said I had to get out the manual and follow the procedure for rebooting the stereo receiver. Seriously WTF.

That incident followed an earlier phone call where I had been very proud of myself for remembering I was in the 21st century. He called at 8.30 AM to ask "Hey, you know that group Midnight Oil? What was the name of that song?" and just as I was about to get up to rummage through the pile of CDs on my bookshelf to check the exact name of the song, I stopped and said "I'll Google that for you."

By the way, that was totally a "who was that man and what has he done with my husband?" experience. He constantly complains about people chatting at work, has no interest in that kind of music, and never calls me at home from work. I have no idea how he could have gotten into a conversation about this and cared enough to call. He doesn't have Internet in his office for national security reasons, so the fact that they didn't Google it themselves is the only thing that makes sense about this incident.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on November 16, 2011, 03:50:16 pm
My mom doesn't have a Facebook she uses or a smartphone she understands, but the other night when I was over watching some shows she DVR'd for me, I had to ask her to start it up for me because I don't know how to use the newfangled cable boxes.

I am in a weird generational place when it comes to technology, and probably a lot of people my age are, where there are new technologies that are tied to old technologies  on which we have completely pulled ourselves out of the loop. Like cable TV and landline phones (hey mom, how do you delete messages from this answering machine?) and sewing machines -- even fancy modern ones that do embroidery and accept USB drives full of elaborate designs that you can download with specialized software. She does not know about internet radio, but she has a machine that converts LP records to MP3s.

If the technology gap is getting bigger, it's because my generation understands one kind of new technology, and my parents' generation understands a completely different set of equally complicated technology.

I know we've discussed this before, but it reminds me of the growing problem we're likely to have with Archaic Euphemism Syndrome. Even kids seem to say "rewind" despite never having seen media that winds. And phones have a red "no" button but people still calling it hanging up despite never using a phone that hangs. It would be like if your car's ignition had a picture of a hand-crank on it. And then there's the 3.5" disk icon that means save...
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on November 16, 2011, 04:13:44 pm
The thing is, now a days, plenty of times you can just use your phone to do the googling, rendering calling someone to ask them totally unnecessary.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on November 16, 2011, 04:21:02 pm
The thing is, now a days, plenty of times you can just use your phone to do the googling, rendering calling someone to ask them totally unnecessary.

See, this is the thing. My mom has a smartphone (which she doesn't know how to use) and a GPS unit in her car, and yet she will still sometimes call me while driving to ask me to check Google Maps for her.

Straddling that technical divide, indeed.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on November 16, 2011, 07:24:59 pm
The thing is, now a days, plenty of times you can just use your phone to do the googling, rendering calling someone to ask them totally unnecessary.

The Tech Staff can't use a cellphone at work either. I think they can go out in a separate room or something and use the internet. Otherwise it's just the landline and maybe carrier pigeon and semaphore. Anyway in this case he knew I'd know the answer to the question so it was a reasonable approach. I was just double checking for absolute precision.

I don't think archaic euphemisms will be a problem for long, they're like any other words people use that we don't know the history of. It's only disturbing to those of us who remember the origins, but eventually we'll all be dead.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on November 16, 2011, 07:37:22 pm
And to tie this up neatly the song was, of course, Beds are Burning.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on November 20, 2011, 06:33:55 pm
We say "ball that chicken" - and then we talk about how horribly wrong it is to ball a chicken.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2011, 10:53:19 pm
If you are not happy with your lot in life, and you aren't trying to change it, don't tell me about it (unless you just want to joke around about it).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 01:03:02 am
I'm going to be so annoyed later when I can't find the thread about popcorn no matter how many thread titles I scroll through.

Damn, the search function worked for once.

I just made plain popcorn kernels in the microwave using a brown paper bag and these instructions, which were the first result to Googling "how to microwave plain popcorn kernels."
http://www.instructables.com/id/Microwave-Popcorn%3a-Home-made%2c-cheap-and-easy/?ALLSTEPS (http://www.instructables.com/id/Microwave-Popcorn%3a-Home-made%2c-cheap-and-easy/?ALLSTEPS)

I am totally converted. I will never dirty a pot to make popcorn again.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 01:07:38 am
Or you could put all of that in a microwave safe bowl and do it like that and not have to deal with the greasy assed bag.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 01:21:20 am
Do I need to make a followup video?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 02:11:31 am
I don't mind about the bag, and either way it's only one dirty bowl, but I'd be willing to give it a try. You must need to cover it though? I don't have a bowl with a proper cover.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 07:14:49 am
The oldest boy goes in tomorrow and gets four wisdom teeth pulled out of him. Does it make me a bad guy for telling him "If you die I'm playing the shit outta your xBox."

Yeah, that's pretty fucked up.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on December 02, 2011, 10:06:49 am
Yeah, that's pretty fucked up.

Seriously, you're the alpha male, he doesn't need to die for you to take his shit.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 02, 2011, 01:22:42 pm
it would have been rude if you had said, "when you die..."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 06:28:00 pm
The oldest boy goes in tomorrow and gets four wisdom teeth pulled out of him. Does it make me a bad guy for telling him "If you die I'm playing the shit outta your xBox."

He's what, late teens? The concept of his own mortality is foreign to him.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2011, 07:25:16 pm
I've never had general anaesthesia.  I expect the first time I have to deal with it I will have quite the set of jitters about not waking up from this.  I am, however, 42.  A dude in his late teens is probably wondering what the high will feel like.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2011, 07:36:50 pm
I guess I was under general anesthesia when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. To be honest, I did not think/worry about it at all, aside from how much it would hurt afterwards.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on December 02, 2011, 08:16:27 pm
Having worked with exotic animals, I have personally known living things that went to have their teeth cleaned and came back dead. It's also not unheard of for cats and dogs to die from it, where they have a lot more experience with how anesthesia affects the species. While I have been assured that we're now really good at this with humans, I am still terrified of anesthesia.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2011, 08:54:48 pm
When I got miy wisdom teeth out they had to junk me up a lot, and I distinctly remember making a long dissertation to the medical staff touching on how fucked up I was and how much I was enjoying it.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2011, 09:19:10 pm
I've only been under general anesthesia once, when I was 5-6 years old.  All I remember is the doctor told me we were going to count backwards from 100.  I got to 98 before blacking out.

I wrote about that experince here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2074816330/).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on December 04, 2011, 03:10:17 am
Hey, customer service person:  When I say I'm doing fine and that I will ask you when I need help, I mean it.  When you instead interrupt me and ask me (in your empty store) about four more times if I need any help, I will leave and go elsewhere. 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on December 05, 2011, 12:55:43 am
I survived as well.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 05, 2011, 01:25:49 am
Why are retail environments like 90 degrees in the winter? People are coming from outside wearing coats and its not like there is a coat check at the mall. Save some money guys and go green by going to a normal temperature. Theres a million meat based heaters clamoring all over the place.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2011, 01:51:07 am
The last straw before I really started threatening the landlord over the shape of our roof was when I slipped on moss and wood rot putting up lights one year.  I was actually done with what you'd think was the dangerous part, laying on my belly and draping strings over the eaves and whatnot.  It was later when I was putting stuff back in the toolbox (a few feet up the pitch well away from the edge) that my foot slipped and I slid towards the edge.  Flailing, clawing, ending up with one leg hanging over the gutter in space. No lasting damage other than a couple years off my lifespan.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 05, 2011, 04:56:17 pm
(http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvphn6ipjL1qzfsnio1_500.jpg)

where VW Beetles come from...
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on December 05, 2011, 08:51:31 pm
Can New Beetles mate with the old ones?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on December 18, 2011, 10:00:10 am
Dear Publishers:  If you don't want to drive me to getting a Kindle, when maybe don't publish a hardcover, 1000 page book that weights about 5 pounds.  I read in bed, and if I nod off and your book hits me in the face or chest with a hard thud, that is shitty.  Also if it is a chore to hold the book up for an hour plus, that is bullshit.  Also, if it is too big to haul around at all, that is crap.  Too bad the book is so interesting.  My neck is sore from sitting up in bed with the damn thing open in my lap and me hunched over it.  It makes me not enjoy the physical presence of the book, which for me is a first.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: smick on December 22, 2011, 04:47:08 pm
Dear Publishers:  If you don't want to drive me to getting a Kindle, when maybe don't publish a hardcover, 1000 page book that weights about 5 pounds.  I read in bed, and if I nod off and your book hits me in the face or chest with a hard thud, that is shitty.  Also if it is a chore to hold the book up for an hour plus, that is bullshit.  Also, if it is too big to haul around at all, that is crap.  Too bad the book is so interesting.  My neck is sore from sitting up in bed with the damn thing open in my lap and me hunched over it.  It makes me not enjoy the physical presence of the book, which for me is a first.

Books: Not for sissies.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on January 12, 2012, 09:58:55 pm
The whole neurotic anxiety problem of "what if I throw a party and nobody comes?" is only intensified when the party is on behalf of you kid.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on January 12, 2012, 10:43:30 pm
Yeah one of my good friends gave her son's teacher the invites to her son's first b-day party, and then waited.  No response for nearly two weeks, until the day of the RSVP deadline when the teacher called to apologize for forgetting to give out the invites.  The next day, the parents of every kid who was invited had called to confirm, but you can imagine how uncomfortable my friends felt waiting all that time.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2012, 02:11:49 am
Any time I want a party I just say it's for my wife and the place is packed.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 17, 2012, 12:39:06 am
(http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxwxx0o3aJ1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2012, 04:27:02 am
The whole neurotic anxiety problem of "what if I throw a party and nobody comes?" is only intensified when the party is on behalf of you kid.

Hire a hot tub and they'll come.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 08:44:43 pm
Oh fuck, five beers in and tomorrow's AM meetings canceled. Looks like hangover hoss ridings for me, boy'o's. Jiggldee fuck and wish me luck on that action at six in the morning with the frost on the ground.

I don't give two shits and a special fart. We're gonna run it in the morning gloom.

I've seen pictures of you, but I think all that's fake and you're a 97-year-old man.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on January 19, 2012, 09:06:25 pm
Ash's real photo(http://o.onionstatic.com/images/personalities/personality/1024/character7.jpg)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 10:11:45 pm
I like the stories better when you finish by jacking a motherfucker up.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 19, 2012, 10:24:17 pm
Ahem:

LiveNation (http://www.livenation.com/Nickelback-tickets/artist/710632?wt.mc_id=dm-7703763&p=34501137&camefrom=LNC_b7703763_c34501137)? I don't know what you have my preferences set as, but I don't need to be invited to a presale of Nickelback with Bush, Seether, and Darkest Days tickets.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 19, 2012, 10:29:07 pm
LiveNation (http://www.livenation.com/Nickelback-tickets/artist/710632?wt.mc_id=dm-7703763&p=34501137&camefrom=LNC_b7703763_c34501137)? I don't know what you have my preferences set as, but I don't need to be invited to a presale of Nickelback with Bush, Seether, and Darkest Days tickets.

Your preferences are set as DOOOOOOOOOOOOORK.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on January 20, 2012, 01:59:59 am
UOP is deeply ashamed that an alumnus doesn't recognize the stately visage of T. Herman Zweibel (http://www.zweibelmemorial.org/timeline.php), the late Founder-emeritus of The Onion, a news-paper recognized even by the Chinese (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/08/MN129538.DTL) as Americas Finest News Source!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on January 20, 2012, 02:11:16 am
Odd thing: you can't buy booze at a supermarket in my state but liquor stores are open later than markets, including on Sundays so I guess it might actually be an inconvenience at this point?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on January 20, 2012, 03:10:43 am
BTW: I got yelled at buying some beer at the grocery store the other day. It seems the new law in California is that you can't buy booze in the self check lanes, you have to go to the old style lane with a human checker. I didn't know this until some dude in such as a store uniform yelled at me when I was in the self check.

Yes, I yelled back, but it wasn't personal.

I'm more bugged out by the state putting up barriers between me and my beer. This is not good, folks. Next thing you know I'll have to go to a special store and make sure I'm stocked up enough to make it through the "Dry Sunday's" and shit like that.

I have to go to a special store to make it through Dry Sundays (or I can just go to a bar or restaurant that serves booze) but I can buy beer in a self check lane. They have someone there to help stupid people and check IDs. Of course I can't buy beer over 4% abv, wine or booze in a self check lane because the special stores don't have those.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on January 20, 2012, 05:36:48 am
The police copter is circling over my neighbourhood on this cold, dark night.  It's minus twenty-eight Fahrenheit with the windchill right now.  I'd hate to be a criminal roaming the streets tonight.  Or any night really.  But tonight's especially bad.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 05:45:25 pm
I have a fully stocked bar in my basement (well, not fully, but gin/tequila/vodka/rum/several scotches/bourbons/whisk(e)ys and assorted beers/wines/ciders) because why would you ever take the chance of a Dry Sunday? Not, of course, that Portland has such a thing.

Also, I like to be hospitable to ridiculous extremes.

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 20, 2012, 06:12:30 pm
I have a fully stocked bar in my basement (well, not fully, but gin/tequila/vodka/rum/several scotches/bourbons/whisk(e)ys and assorted beers/wines/ciders) because why would you ever take the chance of a Dry Sunday? Not, of course, that Portland has such a thing.

Also, I like to be hospitable to ridiculous extremes.



nabus' is the place to get hella slanty at any given time.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2012, 06:29:26 pm
A good host is always prepared for guest.  Nabu is a good host.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 11:01:46 pm
Plus after you get a few drinks in you, you can plug in and let 'er rip.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 20, 2012, 11:08:11 pm
So, I just read the following word in print:

crummie

That doesn't seem right. How would you spell it? I think it's either crummy or crumby. Isn't it a derivative of crumb?

(And by in print I mean in phosphor as I'm bored at work and reading ancient blogs.)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2012, 01:28:41 am
crummy.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2012, 04:48:12 am
The bad thing is this was something written by a guy who knocks down a lot of money to write.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on January 21, 2012, 08:06:05 pm
What's more amazing, the miracle you prayed for, or the one that you never dared to dream of?

That's how I'm going to respond if my kids ever ask whether they were "accidents."

Too precious? Maybe. But also true.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on January 21, 2012, 09:32:48 pm
"wait, mom, you never dared to dream you might have a kid? What, did your parents never tell you about the birds and the bees?"
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2012, 01:33:19 am
Do kids really ask that question? I mean, doesn't that question involve way too much thinking about your parents having sex? Gross.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2012, 04:30:42 am
Neither of my parents said word one to me about sex, other than my mom once telling me not to close the door to my room if I was in there with a girl.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 22, 2012, 04:52:53 am
During my formative/puberty years, my parents openly hated each other so much that I never had to worry about thinking they were having sex.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on January 22, 2012, 05:12:24 am
My sex ed included some pamphlets appearing on my bed without explanation or a word, and also at school one of the nuns (in the schools chapel!) explaining about condoms and showing a couple films.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2012, 03:43:53 pm
I did get some ed in school, including a moment where a gentleman of somewhat reduced stature (I don't know what anything is correctly referred to as anymore) asked if he might hurt a partner if he was too largely endowed. I have never forgotten this, and I do fervently hope that he was amply rewarded between the sheets by many adoring partners.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2012, 03:52:54 pm
at school one of the nuns (in the schools chapel!) explaining about condoms

Ugh, could scar a person for life.

We had, like, hippie liberal sex ed in high school, which I guess was easier than it could have been because it was all girls. All I remember is someone asking the teacher what an orgasm felt like and her comparing it to a sneeze, and a condom being passed around and everyone holding it with only two fingers like it had cooties. Even though it might have still been wrapped, I can't recall.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2012, 03:58:42 pm
I'm not sure if this has been covered, but it's sort of random: sometimes when I see inev's handle I think of Exploding Plastic Inevitable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_Plastic_Inevitable). And yes, I'll be embarrassed if it turns out that's what it refers to.

Also, I have come to a point where if I mistype something on the computer and it isn't auto-corrected I am sometimes surprised.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2012, 06:12:28 pm
I think Inev was like, 12 when he first signed up here so probably not.  Although he is rather precocious so maybe.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on January 22, 2012, 06:15:18 pm
Do kids really ask that question? I mean, doesn't that question involve way too much thinking about your parents having sex? Gross.

Around my grade school, the kids talked about it like being an "accident" was a thing of shame. It was a way the bullies had of making you feel like nobody wanted you.

When I asked Mom if I was an accident -- being 10 years younger than my only sibling, I was routinely called out for being a probable mistake -- my mom told me that she wanted me so much that she tried for seven years to have me, and her prayers were finally answered. I didn't find out 'til much later that she had two miscarriages and had given up, so I was a very welcome surprise, but any insecurities I had about possibly not being planned for were cleared up right then and there.

It apparently wasn't just where I grew up, though, because Pedro and his siblings all know their exact status. One adopted, one planned, and three surprises. His sister objects to the term "accident," and always defensively states, "There are no accidents, only blessings!"

It's a Thing. For reals.

"wait, mom, you never dared to dream you might have a kid? What, did your parents never tell you about the birds and the bees?"

After my son's diagnosis with autism, I had given up the dream of having any more kids, ever. I didn't think I could handle the stress of having 2 kids, especially with the elevated chance (1 in 4) of having another child on the spectrum. Turns out I'm tougher than I thought I was, what do you know.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on January 24, 2012, 10:01:31 pm
yeah, Inevitable came from Exploding Plastic Inevitable. I don't completely remember why. My dumb whiny livejournal was called something riffing on that name and I used it for here too.

I am pretty sure I was a surprise. Or else my mom is an insane person who thought that it would be a great idea to have a kid right before she had to defend her PhD thesis. Which is possible.

And I was 17 or 18 when I started here, not 12. But I know you're just teasing, Paul.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on January 25, 2012, 02:54:59 am
And even if you were 12, why would you not be able to know about that? It happened before I was born, and I know about it.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on February 05, 2012, 07:29:12 am
Ron Swanson has long reminded me of the Ash

(http://i.imgur.com/KsGcv.gif)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2012, 09:26:01 am
Speaking of random, a linguistic rant (http://elizabethlittle.tumblr.com/post/16881512318/from-yo-is-this-racist-anonymous-asked-it-really) inspired by YITR?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on February 19, 2012, 05:28:11 am
And some minor difficulties authenticating a signed Andy Warhol print (http://www.myandywarhol.eu/my/my_story.asp).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on February 19, 2012, 02:44:47 pm
The giant hideous margarita glass fell to the floor itself and smashed into many pieces.  I was nowhere near it at the time, and therefor carry no guilt about the ugly souvenir brought back by my inlaws being destroyed shortly after it was given and before I ever drank out of it.  The only real disappointment was all the glass shards I had to sweep up.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2012, 10:12:39 pm
There is such a thing as too much macaroni and cheese.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on March 06, 2012, 02:33:44 am
I like to think those last two are connected somehow.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on March 06, 2012, 03:06:19 am
Nerve regeneration burns like some kinda molten liquid under your skin!

Crap, I didn't really mind the numb patch.

Mine itched. But then, it didn't come all the way back. Not yet, anyway.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on March 06, 2012, 04:59:10 pm
I never liked that my left big toe used to be numb all the time, but I am still sometimes weirded out now that it has feeling in it again.  It was numb for so long that being not numb seems like the less natural state.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 06, 2012, 05:39:44 pm
I may be considering some Mother's Day overkill, here. (http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/03/2012-geneva-auto-show-2013-porsche-boxster-s.html)

hory shet
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on March 06, 2012, 06:21:58 pm
I may be considering some Mother's Day overkill, here. (http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/03/2012-geneva-auto-show-2013-porsche-boxster-s.html)

If I bear a child for you, can I get one too?

Purely theoretically, of course. It would take a lot more than a fancy car to get my equipment out of retirement.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on March 06, 2012, 06:36:54 pm
[Spouse likes fast hosss and Porsches, what can I say?]
Well who doesn't? 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on March 06, 2012, 06:43:06 pm
You picked a winnner, Ash. She's perfect for you.

I'd rather have my roof fixed. What would I have to do for 6 grand in cash?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 04:45:59 pm
I thought long and hard about the Boxster. In the end, I wanted a back seat because we only have one car, and a Panamera wouldn't even fit in my living room, much less my garage.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on March 07, 2012, 06:25:53 pm
Nabu, you need a backseat for a lot of reasons dude. How else are you going to move around all the Honies and Amps?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2012, 08:06:57 pm
Nabu, you need a backseat for a lot of reasons dude. How else are you going to move around all the Honies and Amps?

Dude fully gets my thinking. And I'm pretty proud we were able to get a Marshall half-stack in the back of an RX-8.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 13, 2012, 03:19:23 pm
I suck at games but i continue to play words with friends. Its fun even though i always lose and i always feel like a dumb fuck.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on March 28, 2012, 08:06:01 pm
Last night, I crawled into bed with Pedro, snuggled right up close, and said, "Mmmm...being with you is almost as good as being alone."

Thankfully, he laughed. I wasn't kidding, but I'm glad he gets me enough to know it wasn't intended as an insult.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2012, 08:46:06 pm
Spouse does the same when he gets to sleep before me too, which is rare.  I do a hoist and roll procedure that seems to fold him in on himself, then I wedge myself in and use my full body to roll him over the rest of the way onto his side.  He's a heavy sleeper, so I fail to disturb him with this even if I try to.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 05, 2012, 04:45:29 pm
Arabic Calzones are a thing?  I heard about this today and now I'm sitting in a total dive waiting for edible proof.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 05, 2012, 08:25:19 pm
Well here's a photo on Urban Spoon of  the Arabic Calzone (http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/332/1539115/826836/winnipeg-city-pizza-city-pizza-photo?page=1) (note: I didn't take this photo).  It was pretty much just a baked version of chicken shawarma in a calzone shell.  Spiced chicken, coleslaw, tomato slices and garlic sauce.  The crust was nice, but I don't see what the other reviewers are raving about - it was just "alright.  The place was so dingy and the service so poor that I'm definitely going to stick with my usual Shawarma place, which is only a block away. 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 05, 2012, 11:02:39 pm
I really feel for  this poor guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcKedZ39M0&feature=relmfu) It looks like he cracked under pressure, and that everyone responded appropriately.  The thing is, to come to a point of total psychological breakdown there are so many early warning signs in most cases.  The problem is not mental illness so much as that there's still so much stigma around mental health that people tend to ignore symptoms of illness, even when the person exhibiting these signs is responsible for people's lives.  Just like most other health problems, you don't go from zero to 100 when it comes to a mental illness.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Mr Trout on April 05, 2012, 11:53:00 pm
I really feel for  this poor guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcKedZ39M0&feature=relmfu) It looks like he cracked under pressure, and that everyone responded appropriately.

At first I thought you were talking about the guy who was trying to save Harrisburg. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/04/03/149933599/the-tuesday-podcast-he-tried-to-save-a-broke-city-then-he-disappeared)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on April 06, 2012, 02:54:15 am
If you saw a dude walking down the street wearing this guy (http://this guy), how cool would you think he is? As cool as I am now, or cooler? Probably cooler, right?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2012, 04:49:42 am
Well here's a photo on Urban Spoon of  the Arabic Calzone (http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/332/1539115/826836/winnipeg-city-pizza-city-pizza-photo?page=1) (note: I didn't take this photo).

Looks really good anyway.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 06, 2012, 12:32:17 pm
At first I thought you were talking about the guy who was trying to save Harrisburg. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/04/03/149933599/the-tuesday-podcast-he-tried-to-save-a-broke-city-then-he-disappeared)

what a fuck*ng mess.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2012, 04:35:45 pm
what a fuck*ng mess.

No shit.

The state's all, damn Harrisburg, y'all done fucked everything up.  Here, this guy knows his shit, he'll figure out how to guide you out of this situation you've created for yourself.  Dude presents proposal, okay, here's a thoughtfully researched, 200 page plan.  It's gonna be painful, but it will lead the city out of trouble. Harrisburg's all like hell naw, nobody said anything about the pain.  Dude's all, fuck yourself Harrisburg, I'm out of here.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 06, 2012, 07:27:13 pm
now the whole state is going to be paying for it...
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on April 06, 2012, 09:28:56 pm
Actual conversation last night between me and my roommate.

"Hey, do you know who to call to report a streetlight out?"

"That might be a 311 call, but good luck with that."

"What do you mean?"

"Damn, dude, this city is sucking air financially.  We're lucky they're still picking up the trash."

However, they can afford to redo the sidewalks on the eastside (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/7049720029/in/photostream), apparently. They're probably getting Federal money for that though.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2012, 06:16:33 pm
The Arabic Calzone place stole my debit card info and sent it to Kuala Lumpur, where a fraudulent card was made and used to withdraw $400 from my account on Friday. Being a holiday, everything was closed until today.  Thankfully my bank is going to refund everything.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2012, 07:58:55 pm
The bank is taking the fraud to the police and I signed an agreement to go to trial (should it be required) in exchange for the bank reimbursing the funds in full immediately.  Because my work is so directly connected with the legal system I get paid leave to go to court, so even if it does go to trial I'm covered.

I remembered only after going there that the same place had been running child prostitutes out of their "business" on a regular basis,  and at least two of the guys in the joint were acting in a manner that made me think they may be Mad Cowz (local gang).  I'm thinking they're all deeply intrenched in crime there. I wish I'd put two and two together.  Honestly crime is so normal in my neighborhood that it's just part of the landscape.  This place is two blocks from my house. Vehicle break-in infront of my house and fraud all within a week.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2012, 08:50:19 pm
The Arabic Calzone place stole my debit card info and sent it to Kuala Lumpur, where a fraudulent card was made and used to withdraw $400 from my account on Friday. Being a holiday, everything was closed until today.  Thankfully my bank is going to refund everything.

Boo to that.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 09, 2012, 10:28:35 pm
Having been briefly to Kuala Lumpur, I know the average salary is around $24 a month, so you can imagine what a boon $400 is to a Malaysian thief.  No matter how crap my neighbourhood is, at least for me $400 is a drop in the bucket, not a years salary.  Not to say I would spend $400 frivolously at all - I hardly ever spend anything on myself.  Still for most people in my neighbourhood, missing $400 would be devastating, considering most folks are living hand to mouth.  According to an article I was reading in the weekend paper, the average household income in my neighbourhood is $24,000, so even though I'm one of lucky minority members when it comes to income, these thieves are not exactly robin-hooding if they're stealing from my neighbours.   I'd like to think that me whipping out my iPhone while I waited was what inspired their thievery... but who am I kidding?  I know there's no honour among thieves.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on April 11, 2012, 08:02:56 pm
There's been a lot of talk about black teenagers in hoodies, and it reminds me of what was going in fifteen years ago when everybody was talking about white teenagers in trenchcoats. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on April 11, 2012, 08:19:10 pm
There's been a lot of talk about black teenagers in hoodies, and it reminds me of what was going in fifteen years ago when everybody was talking about white teenagers in trenchcoats. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.

[insert rant about dusters vs trench coats]
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2012, 05:00:33 am
hey, my friends are famous. (http://www.stlmag.com/Blogs/Look-Listen/April-2012/Rolling-Along-WIth-the-Tour-DOnut/#) I'll bet you guys thought I talked about donuts all the time just 'cuz I like them. In St Louis, donuts are a THING.

Possibly only among (GASP) hipsters, though. When I tell people at work that our city has tons of donut shops, they look at me like I'm all ching chong wing wong.

I think I have literally told over 100 customers to check out my favorite donut place. FINALLY, one came back and told me she went there and loved it. And it was a cute mom with kids, too!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 12, 2012, 05:39:57 am
Quote
"Donut-themed music" is promised,

I'd almost want to ride along just to know what that could be.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on April 12, 2012, 05:56:12 am
Who doesn't like donuts?

Donut-themed music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3Cthm0HFU&feature=related).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Jaded Tersk on April 12, 2012, 11:56:15 am
Who doesn't like donuts?

Donut-themed music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3Cthm0HFU&feature=related).

Good work, team.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2012, 12:10:52 pm
Do they have doughnuts that are sort of rectangular, covered with granulated sugar (not powdered), and filled with raspberry jelly?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on April 12, 2012, 12:34:49 pm
My neph is a doughnut fiend, so we took him to the Krispy Kreme (http://goliveworkplay.com/raleigh/downtown/listings/480-krispy-kreme) where they make 'em HOT FRESH NOW to get one right off the line.

They're insanely good. It's one of those things we always used to do with guests when they came to town, back before we had kids and could actually take people around to see the sights. I don't know if they make 'em fresh anywhere outside of North Carolina, but if you ever get a chance to have a hot fresh Krispy Kreme don't miss it. And if any of you ever come visit me, I will take you down there and buy us a dozen to share. They're unbelievable.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2012, 01:53:36 am
Do they have doughnuts that are sort of rectangular, covered with granulated sugar (not powdered), and filled with raspberry jelly?

Wait a minute, are you talking about Squagels (http://youtu.be/_ecVERmxa70)?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on April 13, 2012, 05:22:38 am
my friend posted this "feminist" article on facebook, and I have to note that the two dudes who are posting on there about how great it is... treat women like absolute shit in their romantic relationships. Also, the article is stupid.

I think maybe the worst thing ever to happen to feminism is the endless number of "feminist" blogs that are really just "let's take anything we can think of and apply our freshman-in-college version of feminism to it." At least, in terms of things that make me fed up with self-proclaimed "feminists" who do not know what they are talking about.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 14, 2012, 03:32:58 pm
(http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2g1xi5eR51rtxx5lo1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 14, 2012, 08:28:16 pm
The fuck are donuts (http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php)?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 15, 2012, 01:07:20 am
I saw a tv program that visited Voodoo donuts, but this is the first time I've perused their menu.  Look tasty.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 15, 2012, 04:34:51 pm
I saw a tv program that visited Voodoo doughnuts, but this is the first time I've perused their menu.  Look tasty.

They take this thing much more seriously than you would think.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 15, 2012, 05:56:25 pm
It's interesting that we Canadians, who love to put an "ou" in almost any word we can (colour, humour, honour, neighbour, etc.),  spell it "donut" including at the "bench mark" of Canadianness, Tim Horton's, (http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/menu/donuts.html) and the place I grew up going to, Robin's Donuts. (http://www.robinsdonuts.com/)  Considering Canadians seem to consider these little fried nuggets  part of our national identity (http://www.amazon.ca/The-Donut-A-Canadian-History/dp/0802095453) and because the always legitimate Wikipedia indicates we consume the most donuts per capita and have the most donut shops per capita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donuts), I'd argue that our spelling is the "right way."  I mean, come on Voodoo Doughnuts is more a bench mark of how delightfully abnormal Portland is, and is not, there for a good reference for being the standard of anything (other than uniqueness, if that's possible). 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on April 15, 2012, 07:04:26 pm
They take this thing much more seriously than you would think.

Jesus. If you're gonna be like that, shouldn't it be dough-nut?

Voodoo is awesome though.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 15, 2012, 09:32:51 pm
I figure in Canada it's the Good Humour man, and you can have donuts, too. Can't we celebrate our differences?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 15, 2012, 11:47:11 pm
We don't have Good Humor brand here actually, it's Dickie Dee here.  And, yes, let's celebrate the differences.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 15, 2012, 11:50:32 pm
a scoop of ice cream on top of a round, fried, dough thingy.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on April 16, 2012, 02:26:35 am
the donut ride was fun. Didn't eat enough donuts. Then I made up for it with beer and a fat burger. What a great day.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 16, 2012, 12:48:34 pm
the donut ride was fun. Didn't eat enough donuts. Then I made up for it with beer and a fat burger. What a great day.

A fat burger? Or a Fatburger (http://www.fatburger.com/home/)?

Ok, I can stop. I'll go back to work now.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on April 16, 2012, 01:19:45 pm
Blasphemy from Lore Sjoberg (http://lunggiraffe.com/2012/04/i-dont-know-how-a-mountain-struts/), who is currently visiting Vancouver:

Quote
Tim Horton’s is actually not that good and doesn’t have Wi-Fi.

And he says you have a Ben & Jerry's flavor “If I Had 1,000,000 Flavours.” Even the ice cream is subject to Canadian Content rules apparently.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 16, 2012, 03:45:01 pm
tim hortons vs. flying j
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 16, 2012, 04:19:16 pm
That's what makes Tim Hortons so patently Canadian - it's utterly inoffensive.  It's not bad, and it's unobtrusively descent without being over-the-top.  I don't think Tim's is the gold standard of coffee shops, but it's consistant and always moderatly okay or better.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but some people are rabid about Tim's coffee though, to the point where a very popluar urban legend popped up several years ago about it. (http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/timhortons.asp)  I drive past a Tim Hortons every morning that has a line up for the drive-thru that is sometimes a block long and causes a mini traffic jam.

It's true about the peanut butter packets, the inter-transferablity of Canadian and American pocket change, and the Ben and Jerry's (though I've heard the same ice cream flavours just have different names in the US).    There are no red curbs in Canada, I've never even heard of this.  Considering the snow typically conceals the road and curbs for up to six months of the year in my part of the world, it's no wonder why we don't do that.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 16, 2012, 08:07:41 pm
Well, and Tim Hortons was actually Tim Horton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Horton)'s at one time, which is fuck*ng awesome.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 17, 2012, 03:55:08 pm
It is awesome.  They still do a lot to suport kids in sport and camping and stuff. 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 17, 2012, 11:46:21 pm
I have absolutely no idea what Tim Horton's business practices are, so this is not about them or really directed at you, Smells, but when people all talk about the charitable contributions of people/businesses who made their cash in shitty ways it don't make it right.  It don't make it right at all.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2012, 12:32:18 am
But doughnuts are not shitty! In moderation anyway.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 01:11:47 am
I have absolutely no idea what Tim Horton's business practices are, so this is not about them or really directed at you, Smells, but when people all talk about the charitable contributions of people/businesses who made their cash in shitty ways it don't make it right.  It don't make it right at all.

You think? Yeah, I think everyone agrees with that - but it does make it better than not being charitable at all. Bill Gates may have made his money by fuck*ng other people out of their ideas, but it's pretty cool he's donated like 5 billion (yes) dollars to charity.

And a professional hockey player who makes doughnuts (or donuts) is fuck*ng blameless. Dude is not trafficking in Thai prostitutes here.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 18, 2012, 02:20:42 am
Well, he's dead, for one.

I wouldn't put it past Sean Avery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Avery), though.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 19, 2012, 11:47:00 pm
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2qfm73tJT1qzcv7no1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 20, 2012, 06:05:22 pm
If you enter my office and describe to me a "best case scenario" that involves work at any level, I will laugh at you. My best case scenario ends up with, as Diamond Dave might say, a drink in my hand . . . my toes in the sand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nYCsv3S7MI) (apologies for traditional Van Halen live incoherency).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on April 21, 2012, 11:25:52 pm
I think that, from now on, when I hear somebody say something incorrect, I'm going to reply, in my normal tone of voice, with, "Oh, foolish mortal."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2012, 12:57:33 pm
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2qfm73tJT1qzcv7no1_500.jpg)

I know better than to try to compete with a puppy.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 22, 2012, 09:37:18 pm
When a teen is having a pity party on Facebook, quoting Tennyson at them and reminding them that their situation is no novelty to the human condition is unlikely to be viewed as helpful in the slightest.

Fuck that though, it amuses the piss out of me.

I wonder if sniveling on the internet works better for the teen than whatever kids used to do 50 years ago.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 22, 2012, 09:58:26 pm
Doubtful. How do you think I got the Tennyson thrown at me originally?

Passing It On.

I guess maybe the internet makes it easier but makes the kids softer, so it balances out. (I got a talking to at work today because I gave some of the guys I supervise hurt feelings, so I'm kind of on this tip right now.)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 01:10:42 am
It takes most people until they're 27 to not be dick-bags.

Not coincidentally, a lot of angsty rockstars die around that time.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2012, 01:25:16 am
I remember the most frustrating thing about being a teenager being that I knew I was being unreasonable and angsty, but I couldn't stop.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 23, 2012, 06:05:43 pm
I remember the most frustrating thing about being a teenager being that I knew I was being unreasonable and angsty, but I couldn't stop.

Hey, I remember that! We're all glad you changed.

How could I resist?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on April 24, 2012, 04:55:06 pm
Hm, the tap water smells like giraffe. Must be getting close to payday.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: smick on April 24, 2012, 09:33:17 pm
It takes most people until they're 27 to not be dick-bags.

I pondered throwing a coffee mug at a coworker today because he was eating candy.

Smick: Throwing the dickbag/age curve for everyone.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 24, 2012, 11:20:03 pm
I pondered throwing a coffee mug at a coworker today because he was eating candy.

said the adult who rides a unicycle for fun
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: smick on April 25, 2012, 03:05:40 am
Oh... it's not for fun.

It is with purpose.

Also, I didn't ponder throwing the mug because I felt it was childish to eat candy.   I was enraged by wrapper noise.  (Also that this dudes cube is where people congregate to eat candy and bullshit and FUCK THEM.  FUCK THEM!  FUCK THEM!)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2012, 06:33:59 am
I bought a nice bag off the internet and it looks completely idiotic on me. It is clearly child-sized. Now I have to figure out how to mail this back to the company in England. dang.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Nabubrush on April 26, 2012, 04:32:33 am
Did I talk about seeing candy wrappers in the stall at work? People, Jesus Christ - no candy when you are taking a shit.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 26, 2012, 01:24:08 pm
Did I talk about seeing candy wrappers in the stall at work? People, Jesus Christ - no candy when you are taking a shit.

maybe the person was hella full and he had to shit in order to make room for the candy?

(doesnt justify the wrappers not being properly taken care of, but its a poop joke.)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2012, 12:06:40 pm
I am convinced from how people seem to homestead on the public stalls at work that they aren't so much as shitting as having a little bit of the "saddest me times".

It's an Albertism (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/5394697361/)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2012, 02:45:11 pm
I used to do that when I worked at Walmart.  Just sit in the bathroom stall for a bit of unfettered depression.  Sometimes tears.  God I hated that job.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on May 08, 2012, 11:38:18 am
Everyone's thinking it: The harpsichord is strictly for douchebags.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on May 08, 2012, 07:04:45 pm
Pretentious, anachronistic douchebags. 
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: miles on May 10, 2012, 06:12:49 pm
Stumbled across this article (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/diner_least_times_square_restaurants_udN3cPUfnrTsiJPt1xdYLN).

What the fuck are you doing in New York eating at Red Lobster in Times Square? There are so many more reasonably priced and better meals to be had in all the 5 boroughs. Besides, if you visit New York, you are probably prepared to splurge, but if you're splurging at the Olive Garden, you're doing it wrong.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on May 10, 2012, 07:33:01 pm
Stumbled across this article (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/diner_least_times_square_restaurants_udN3cPUfnrTsiJPt1xdYLN).

What the fuck are you doing in New York eating at Red Lobster in Times Square? There are so many more reasonably priced and better meals to be had in all the 5 boroughs. Besides, if you visit New York, you are probably prepared to splurge, but if you're splurging at the Olive Garden, you're doing it wrong.

I was in NY this weekend. I overheard a guy talking on the phone to his daughter back home about how they had dinner at The Olive Garden the previous night and it was so good. And today they have tickets to something called "Book of Mormon" which he'd never heard of and didn't like the title but the concierge insisted it was the hot ticket. I wanted to punch him in the throat.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on May 10, 2012, 10:43:08 pm
(http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ten_thousand.png)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on May 11, 2012, 03:39:30 am
Do not be hard on the 40yr old man at the Subway who has trouble understanding basic requests. His situation is proof enough that he is not doing well in life.   Rolling your eyes and sighing loudly is proof you're not doing much better.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on May 11, 2012, 12:14:19 pm
(http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ten_thousand.png)

Oh man. I had missed that one before. That is so going on my Facebook wall today.

(What!?!? You hadn't seen that comic? I thought *everyone* blah blah blah...yeah, I know.)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on May 11, 2012, 02:29:38 pm
welcome to today's lucky 10,000 JL
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on May 11, 2012, 09:04:41 pm
$25 at ralph's?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on May 12, 2012, 07:13:54 am
wrong way, dude. a blast can be had for 25 bucks at any dollar store. that's like twenty-five things. you want a decoy, maybe go with $15 from itunes
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 12, 2012, 10:35:54 am
i was looking through old pictures of myself and i found this cool, yet crappy one i took in 2005:

(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3wnxi9qLF1qatfjgo1_500.jpg)

i am the nerdy creep of your dreams.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on May 12, 2012, 04:55:29 pm
The only thing more painful than giving birth is watching a four-year-old play Beautiful Katamari. Dadgum, is that frustrating.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on May 12, 2012, 05:35:50 pm
Sort of similar to my four year old nephew playing Mario Kart I imagine.  At least he didn't know he was in last place...
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on May 12, 2012, 09:00:15 pm
Mario Kart is pretty bad, too. But Katamari is like...dude, it's so simple. Just...roll. It's so easy a four year old could do it. Why can't you do it?

Of course, you can't say that. You have to be like, "Oh, honey, good job! Wow, your ball was almost 10 cm! Oh, it's OK, you can try again..."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on May 12, 2012, 09:09:25 pm
I was pretty impressed that my nephew mostly mastered staying on the road.  Every time he was all "did we win?!" which was just so sweet...
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 24, 2012, 02:21:56 am
What is the deal with Dilbert's tie?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on May 24, 2012, 03:02:39 am
What is the deal with Dilbert's tie?

It's a phallic symbol.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 24, 2012, 04:55:08 am
It's a phallic symbol.

is whats-his-face trying to tell us that dilbert has a curvy dick?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 24, 2012, 07:59:18 pm
I believe Scott Adams said that Dilbert's curvy tie was emblematic of his slight uptight nature, and if and when it was ever hanging normally that meant he had finally gotten laid.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 29, 2012, 04:14:38 pm
If I had a nickel for every time I want to shout "OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE," I'd have a shitload of nickels.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on May 29, 2012, 04:52:16 pm
It occurred to me that I say "Oh dear" ironically. Like if someone tells me something or gives me a warning about something they think I should be offended by. It's kinda my way of not engaging someone. Like "Judy is showing way too much cleavage." "Oh dear." "Judy is cheating on her husband." "Oh dear." "Tom likes to watch porn videos." "Oh dear."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on May 29, 2012, 05:41:30 pm
My thought in that situation is always "that must be really hard for you" or "I'm sorry you had to go through that." Usually at work. I do not say it out loud.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on May 29, 2012, 06:48:12 pm
this made me think of smick:

(http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4shi3ygo21qb9oa5o1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on May 31, 2012, 03:17:32 am
I guess it is correct or whatever, but people who pronounce it "Julia Louie-Dreyfuss" instead of "Julia Lewis-Dreyfuss" seem pretentious to me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 31, 2012, 06:59:55 pm
I guess it is correct or whatever, but people who pronounce it "Julia Louie-Dreyfuss" instead of "Julia Lewis-Dreyfuss" seem pretentious to me.

Look at you, pronouncing people's names correctly! How could you BE so cocky?! You are so ARROGANT!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on May 31, 2012, 07:14:54 pm
/me buries seinfeld dvds in backyard
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 03, 2012, 04:21:23 am
Quote from: Asherdan
The B-52's. I gotta make a show of theirs.

Yeah, I gotta shake out my cushions to get to the Wilco show in Cooperstown.

Being as I'm gonna be up here in the upstate for at least a year or two, that'd probably the closest they're getting for a long ass time.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on June 04, 2012, 03:01:09 am
(http://i.imgur.com/FwbQW.jpg)

I don't understand what this is, but I like it.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 05, 2012, 01:02:13 am
Whatever happened to getting jiggy with it? The Willenium barely got off the ground before suddenly the world was a much less jiggy conducive environment. I feel robbed.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Mr Trout on June 05, 2012, 01:12:07 am
@inev: I believe it's a reference to these 1-panel comics:

(http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/068/6/c/imaginary_friend_by_paperbeatsscissors-d4s7cow.jpg) (http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleytalong/i-know-that-feel-bro-hpz)

Also re: spare time you should toally volunteer at a local bike collective two days a week. Quickest way to learn bike maintenance is to work on as many as possible. Plus once you learn all the basics you can begin to pass that knowledge on. I've had quite a bit of spare time lately and I have been studying this book (http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1884737706) and spending as much time as possible split between two local collectives.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on June 05, 2012, 08:33:56 am
Whatever happened to getting jiggy with it? The Willenium barely got off the ground before suddenly the world was a much less jiggy conducive environment. I feel robbed.

It's the Pitbullenium now. He did the song for the MIB soundtrack.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: smick on June 05, 2012, 06:33:44 pm

I've had quite a bit of spare time lately and I have been studying this book (http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1884737706) and spending as much time as possible split between two local collectives.

That book is invaluable...especially if you're working with equipment that isn't necessarily coming out on 2013 biciclettas. 

"How the fuck do I change and adjust campy style brakes?"  *flip flip flip* "Oh!"
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 26, 2012, 11:47:54 am
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m67f47dBLA1qa4karo1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on June 26, 2012, 10:05:33 pm
Invisible BJs (https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome%2Cmod%3D8&q=cough&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=NnHpT_6DKabg2AWDw6iIAg&biw=1366&bih=643&sei=OXHpT9CQEMLQ2AXu2eSwAg#q=cough&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbm=isch&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1&biw=1296&bih=947)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2012, 02:01:20 am
So this bee dude comes home, really excited to brag to all of his buds about getting some action.
"hey man, totally made out with this... whattaya call it. You know. The sweet stuff inside a flower?"
"oh, SHIT man, you fucked some syrup?"
"nah, man, necked 'er."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2012, 02:42:36 am
So this bee dude comes home, really excited to brag to all of his buds about getting some action.
"hey man, totally made out with this... whattaya call it. You know. The sweet stuff inside a flower?"
"oh, SHIT man, you fucked some syrup?"
"nah, man, necked 'er."

To quote someone famous, "If it's stupid enough it's cool."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on June 28, 2012, 06:03:15 pm
Ash's current avatar quote reminds me of a family friend who owned a cattle station in the Outback of New South Wales.  My Dad asked him about the pack of dogs he kept, "What breed are those?" to which the reply was "Turners".
"I'm not familiar with that one"
"They turn good food into shit".

(They actually helped quite a bit with livestock wrangling, both cattle and sheep)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on July 02, 2012, 04:06:11 am
(http://gunshowcomic.com/comics/20120302-0001.png)

I keep thinking of this when I'm at work and cracking up. I love Gun Show.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Choop on July 02, 2012, 05:34:56 am
(http://gunshowcomic.com/515)

I keep thinking of this when I'm at work and cracking up. I love Gun Show.
borked img cuz it's a page -> this page here (http://gunshowcomic.com/515)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 02, 2012, 11:34:24 pm
upcoming biopics that interest me to various degrees:

naomi watts as princess di
andre benjamin/andre 3000 as jimi hendrix
anthony hopkins as alfred hitchcock
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on July 04, 2012, 12:05:44 am
Awesome read.  I wonder if the London sewers are still so labyrinthine, or if they have been tamed over time.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on July 04, 2012, 03:34:24 am
Very interesting story, Ash.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on July 07, 2012, 03:41:19 am
All the good gods are dead. Then again, the only good god is a dead god.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2012, 11:52:06 pm
You know how sometimes, when you visit someone's house, and it has an unpleasant smell that they've gotten used to?  It makes me worry about what unpleasant smell in my own home I've gotten used to.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 08, 2012, 03:43:20 pm
Protip: Don't break out the skymall catalog at 2AM after your friend challenges you to "find the most useless gadget". That garbage is filled with regret that costs entirely too much.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2012, 01:12:45 pm
You know how sometimes, when you visit someone's house, and it has an unpleasant smell that they've gotten used to?  It makes me worry about what unpleasant smell in my own home I've gotten used to.

Lynda Barry wrote about this (http://www.salon.com/2000/07/14/barry_5/).
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on July 10, 2012, 02:50:22 pm
Did you ever meet someone and just immediately get a "kinky sex" vibe? As in, you just assume based on some intangible quality that whatever this person is into, it's probably illegal in many Southern states?

I have no idea if I'm right about this or not, because there's no tactful way to find out, but I like to think that there exists an equivalent of gaydar for kinky people.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 11, 2012, 07:18:56 pm
wife-carrying championship (http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/132999)

what the fuck?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on July 11, 2012, 07:44:05 pm
Feel like an October vacation in Maine (http://www.sundayriver.com/Events/Main/Summer/Wife_Carrying_Championship.html), Ash?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on July 11, 2012, 09:57:36 pm
Don't let her see that post...
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 11, 2012, 11:13:57 pm
That reminds me of when I worked for Anheuser Busch from the ages of 19-21 and was finally able to call in my accrued "2 cases a month". My SUV had enough beer to get a few elephants drunk.
Me to girlfriend's dad: "If I come home with this much beer my mom is going to send me to AA. Just take all your fridge can handle."
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on July 17, 2012, 02:56:36 am
It's such a relief when my kids finally go to bed, so that I can play with their toys uninterrupted.

Leeeggggggooooooooooos!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on July 23, 2012, 03:51:13 pm
1. (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580796_10151129818276255_1643686524_n.jpg)

2. Lately another image keeps going through my head. It was from some book I read about an artist who decides to start carving marble. A friend comes to visit him who is an experienced sculptor, who yells at him for working without gloves or using moisturizer. "Jesus, buy some work gloves before your hands get so calloused you can't ever touch your own dick again."

That was not the exact phrasing. I wish I remembered what book it was.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 25, 2012, 12:19:17 pm
‎"...Prior to adoption of the constitution, on even-numbered years, it paid a tribute of approximately $12 to the Spanish bishop, plus six hams, six cheeses, and six live chickens, though this medieval custom was abandoned in 1993."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-princes_of_Andorra

Good lord.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 02, 2012, 11:43:57 am
historical gore (https://twitter.com/historyweird/status/230988659464232961)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on August 09, 2012, 01:07:00 am
Gmail == Ghost mail?

OOOOOOHHHHH SHIIIIIIT
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 09, 2012, 11:47:27 am
art on drugs (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jazzedloon/this-is-your-art-on-drugs-71g1)

this made me think of keith for obvious reasons.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on August 09, 2012, 04:26:17 pm
Just now I got into the shower. As the hot water hit me, I heard a metallic CLINK. I turned around, and there was a penny sitting on the floor of the shower. Where did it come from? All I can think of is that I had slept on it, and it had been riding around on my back all through breakfast.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 09, 2012, 08:25:27 pm
Me, I'd just assume it was in my navel for weeks.

Because I am shamefully fat.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 14, 2012, 11:36:22 am
a (boy)teenager's bucket list (http://www.howtobeadad.com/2012/12116/teenagers-bucket-list)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on August 14, 2012, 03:13:17 pm
Eat papusas one more time.

...what??
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on August 14, 2012, 03:31:49 pm
I have touched a British Chick's ass. That should be on everyone's bucket list.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 14, 2012, 06:08:08 pm
Eat papusas one more time.

...what??

exactly.  i could eat them every fuck*ng day.  i guess 14 year olds are short sighted......
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 14, 2012, 07:52:37 pm
exactly.  i could eat them every fuck*ng day.  i guess 14 year olds are short sighted......
This is the same guy who wants to touch a pu$$y "one more time" and touch "A" british girl's butt.

He's setting the bar pretty low.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on August 15, 2012, 10:39:46 pm
If you send me a message of some sort that ends with "Sent from my ..." I'm pretty much gonna want to punch you in the giblets.

I'm pretty sure their phone adds that automatically. Though, they could probably turn it off if they checked the settings. Don't know. My phone is too old for that kind of shenanigans. I doubt that anyone is intentionally adding that message to brag about what kind of phone they are using.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on August 16, 2012, 02:18:37 am
Yes. I can confirm that that's the default signature, and it's kind of a pain to turn it off. Plus, a lot of people don't realize that their phones append the tagline (because how often do you email yourself? I mean, unless you're a nerd like Pedro who uses email as a reminder system and task list).

But, yeah. It still sucks.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 16, 2012, 02:35:06 am
Its not intentional but it sure is annoying. There is one guy in particular where it is always a clue he is not in the office. "Sent From my iPad" = Jay didn't feel like getting out of bed today.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2012, 12:40:02 pm
It is taking advantage of people who aren't nerds (and therefore don't know how to turn it off) to get free advertising. That's what irritates me.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on August 16, 2012, 02:10:49 pm
It is taking advantage of people who aren't nerds (and therefore don't know how to turn it off) to get free advertising. That's what irritates me.

Along these lines: I've always wondered what would happen if an athlete, pro or olympic, used a seam-ripper to remove the embroidered Nike/Addidas/etc logo from their jerseys. Would they be fined? Pulled from the field and forced to put on a new jersey? Similarly, what if a reality show actor always held their soda etc with their palm over the logo instead of to camera?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2012, 03:02:05 pm
I've always wondered what would happen if an athlete, pro or olympic, used a seam-ripper to remove the embroidered Nike/Addidas/etc logo from their jerseys. Would they be fined? Pulled from the field and forced to put on a new jersey?

Yes, those companies paid a lot of money to have that logo on there. Hellfire would reign down on any athlete who tried to alter the uniform.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on August 16, 2012, 10:36:33 pm
This was at a small division one program and goddamed if Reebok wasn't paying attention just fine to little shit like that.
Interns gotta do something.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: lprkn on August 17, 2012, 09:26:58 am
Yes. I can confirm that that's the default signature, and it's kind of a pain to turn it off. Plus, a lot of people don't realize that their phones append the tagline (because how often do you email yourself? I mean, unless you're a nerd like Pedro who uses email as a reminder system and task list).

But, yeah. It still sucks.

I thought everybody did that!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 17, 2012, 11:33:14 am
I thought everybody did that!
I know I do.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on August 17, 2012, 11:38:34 am
I email myself constantly, to keep track of things I find on the web when I am not at my own computer, to remind myself of something, all sorts of stuff.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 17, 2012, 11:51:48 am
Wombles, Lprkn, Acap, and Pedro holding tight on the "**** the FTP. we're straight from the e-mail cloud"
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on August 17, 2012, 02:10:40 pm
A facebook ad informed me today that "It's official! 78% of respondents like their men Tall, Dark, & Handsome!" And I'm thinking, as opposed to what? Short, pale, and ugly? Because I can't imagine a lot of women lining up for a shot with a Swedish midget vampire.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 17, 2012, 02:30:48 pm
Along these lines: I've always wondered what would happen if an athlete, pro or olympic, used a seam-ripper to remove the embroidered Nike/Addidas/etc logo from their jerseys. Would they be fined? Pulled from the field and forced to put on a new jersey? Similarly, what if a reality show actor always held their soda etc with their palm over the logo instead of to camera?

You remember the Dream Team in '92, when they got their gold medals, some of the players (including Michael Jordan) had American flags draped around their necks? That's because the Olympic team warm-up jackets they were wearing were Reebok, but those players were sponsored by Nike and their contracts stipulated that they were never to be seen wearing another athletic company's logo. But Reebok's contract with the US Olympic Team said they had to wear these jackets. The flag was the compromise, it covered up the Reebok logo.

Athletic apparel logos are SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: wombat on August 17, 2012, 04:44:11 pm
Wombles, Lprkn, Acap, and Pedro holding tight on the "**** the FTP. we're straight from the e-mail cloud"

Damn straight. I just got a new tablet and I keep having these conversations with the Tech Staff about how to get files onto it since it is apparently not trivial to get it onto our local network:

TS: Here's a little thing to stick into a little thing that you can stick in the laptop and then copy files onto and then stick in the tablet.
W: I have email on the tablet, why not just email files to myself?

TS: I found an app you can install so you can copy file via the network.
W: I have email on the tablet, why not just email files to myself?

etc.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2012, 05:20:28 pm
JL: Show me a woman who isn't pale and I'll show you a woman who automatically loses at least one point on the 10-scale.

You remember the Dream Team in '92, when they got their gold medals, some of the players (including Michael Jordan) had American flags draped around their necks? That's because the Olympic team warm-up jackets they were wearing were Reebok, but those players were sponsored by Nike and their contracts stipulated that they were never to be seen wearing another athletic company's logo. But Reebok's contract with the US Olympic Team said they had to wear these jackets. The flag was the compromise, it covered up the Reebok logo.

Athletic apparel logos are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Supposedly the Washington quarterback started writing the suffix to his name as III instead of 3 after he got sponsored by Adidas. Since the III looks kind of sort of like their 3-lines logo. And people think this is his way of sneaking Adidas onto his Reebok/Nike jersey. I think that's a stretch since who writes a name suffix with arabic numerals?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on August 17, 2012, 11:32:48 pm
Cort like his wimmen to put belladonna drops in their eyes and have a pinch of arsenic with their tea.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on September 12, 2012, 01:13:36 am
I tried to light up every forum at once, but I didn't make it to the bottom.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 28, 2012, 03:46:08 am
Okay, here's a random thought:

The cartoon Thundercats:

Besides the general concept of an entire planet with alien societies and magical realism, there are also certain things which make me think whoever wrote the original series bible was making nods to Jorge Luis Borges' Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius. (http://www.coldbacon.com/writing/borges-tlon.html)

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: dejavroom on September 28, 2012, 11:03:29 am

Opinions?

It is a cool... thought (no diss, mind). Speaking of which, have you read Borges' lovecraftian homage? It's called "There Are More Things", and it is basically one:

http://vicusyd.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/borges-there-are-more-things.pdf (http://vicusyd.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/borges-there-are-more-things.pdf)
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 28, 2012, 11:46:50 am
It is a cool... thought (no diss, mind). Speaking of which, have you read Borges' lovecraftian homage? It's called "There Are More Things", and it is basically one:

http://vicusyd.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/borges-there-are-more-things.pdf (http://vicusyd.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/borges-there-are-more-things.pdf)

Yep. I've been on a big Borges and Lord Dunsany kick. Lord Dunsany of course being the O.G. of the genre and an equally strong influence on Borges, Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien etc., so it's nice to see the start of it all.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: Doc on September 29, 2012, 06:23:10 am
Serendipity: I'm reading a Borges collection called Labyrinths at the moment which contains Orbis Tertius. It took me a little while to get into because I came to it via Foucalt's Pedulum (Orbis was apparently one of Ecco's inspirations) and while that was a real page turner I've found Borges to be more like reading really fascinating story pitches, really cool sophisticated concepts and settings just without a lot of narrative drive (if that is a real thing).
I guess the point in saying that is, what else is good along these lines, besides Thundercats? What's good by this Dunsany character.

In contrast to Borges I picked up a short story collection by Donald Barthelme the other week and really loved it. Most of the stories are no more than 6 or 10 pages, it's practically flash fiction. Really great stuff if you've never heard of him before (I hadn't).

Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jay-ell on October 03, 2012, 01:38:43 pm
This year, for Halloween, I want to dress up in red and green, adorn myself in tiny LED lights, hang ornaments on myself, and go as "Christmas Creep." Scary!
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2012, 02:57:39 pm
Could be hot.
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: jaydub on October 03, 2012, 09:44:15 pm
Is a Christmas Creep what you see happening in big box and department stores earlier and earlier each year, or what you find behind the shaking tree at the tree farm with cock-in-hand?
Title: Re: Random Thoughts
Post by: theinevitable on October 23, 2012, 08:23:11 pm
The first time I heard the word "internship" was also the time I discovered the concepts of thong underwear and blowjobs. No wonder all of my internships have been so disappointing.