Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2006, 02:49:51 pm »

They suck.

Have a mojito instead.  It's on the same plane of existence but better.

As a life-long Kentuckian and former heavy bourbon drinker, I agree.  Mint Juleps are teh suxxors. 
Why put a bunch of sugar water in good bourbon?  The mint's OK, I guess.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2006, 03:24:46 pm »

To sort of tie the off topic-ness into the topic:

What about wine?  I hear from one camp that booze of any kind are just wasted calories, and is basically a bad idea, and from another camp that wine is very good for me and that I should be drinking a glass a day for heart health.  And what about gin?  I love me a nice Tom Collins every once and a while on a hot day, but is it worth the sacrifice? 

I'd like to know what the philosophies of the other folks working toward wellness are about moderate drinking.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2006, 03:29:49 pm »

I have basically quit drinking except for maybe 1 day on the weekend from time to time.  During this one day wine is the only thing I will allow myself.  The trick is to know what they mean by "one glass".  It's like 5 oz, which is approx 90-120 calories depending on alcohol content and the likes.

I don't see a problem with the whole glass of wine a day, it's just, for me, one leads to two and then the hitting starts  (okay not really hitting).

Hard liquor is even tougher to regulate as "one drink" is basically defined as a shot.  I can't remember the last time I cracked a hard liquor bottle and just had one shot of it.

So, in my opinion if you can hang with 5 oz of wine every day, then great; make it red as tannens are good for you.

(P.S. is anyone else finding it silly that a thread where people are basically trying to keep motivated is still titled "Dying"?  Though this amuses me, it may be counterintuitive.  I'm just sayin' is all.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2006, 04:03:52 pm »

There are plenty of things that are good for your heart that don't have as many calories as wine.  Don't kid yourself.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2006, 04:33:36 pm »

There are plenty of things that are good for your heart that don't have as many calories as wine.  Don't kid yourself.

Exactly.  You know what else is good for your heart?  Regular cardio exercise.  It's in the name!

The "red wine is good for your heart" line we hear nowadays is not so much a heart-healthy (goodness gracious I hate that phrase!) recommendation as it is a way for people to feel less guilty about imbibing the empty calories in alcohol.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2006, 04:38:49 pm »

The "red wine is good for your heart" line we hear nowadays is not so much a heart-healthy (goodness gracious I hate that phrase!) recommendation as it is a way for people to feel less guilty about imbibing the empty calories in alcohol.

Stop breaking my illusions with your damned mumbo-jumbo liberal SCIENCE!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2006, 05:33:38 pm »

Stop breaking my illusions with your damned mumbo-jumbo liberal SCIENCE!

It's not so much SCIENCE! as it is skepticism based in curmudgeonry (I invented a word!).  I do think there is plausible scientific evidence to support this conclusion, but I can't be bothered to do the minimal research involved.  I'm at the beach, damnit!  My point is that while red wine may very well have some beneficial properties related to cardiovascular health, there are better ways to stave off heart disease than drinking the alcohol in question.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2006, 05:36:12 pm »

there are better ways to stave off heart disease than drinking the alcohol in question.

But Hobot, giddiness!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #443 on: July 12, 2006, 05:45:56 pm »

How about if you have a glass before your daily cardiovascular exercises? Not only will you get extra heart healthy, you'll probably enjoy your daily cardio more.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #444 on: July 12, 2006, 05:46:54 pm »

Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2006, 05:56:11 pm »

Oh no you di -int.

Even better, because this means that I was right all along!


How about if you have a glass before your daily cardiovascular exercises? Not only will you get extra heart healthy, you'll probably enjoy your daily cardio more.

Hell, why not go all-out?  Bring a water bottle filled with red wine to hydrate yourself while running on a treadmill.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #446 on: July 12, 2006, 05:59:48 pm »

Hell, why not go all-out?  Bring a water bottle filled with red wine to hydrate yourself while running on a treadmill.

Do I smell a new extreme sport?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dying
« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2006, 07:37:51 pm »

OK, surely putting alcohol and rehydration together is all wrong?

Sod it, you're right. I'm putting a bottle of red wine next to the drum kit, and getting one of those beer caps for when I decide to think about running.

Which brings up the other point. How gay is this? I have, instead of taking up running, taking up skipping. For the first time since primary school. Basically, it seems like it's going to be a hell of a lot kinder to my knees than running, which always just has me dislocating them within a week or two. That then leads to three weeks of sitting around not moving my legs.
Even so, how gay is skipping?
Maybe I need to wear bandages wrapped around my hands like a boxer, just to make the distinction. I don't know what distinction exactly...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2006, 07:50:22 pm »

By skipping you mean jumping rope, I assume - that's not gay. Skipping to and fro, that's kind of gay. But jumping rope is OK.

Alcohol dehydrates. That's a primary reason behind hangover. It's a little tough to picture hydrating yourself with anything that has a significant alcohol content. Although it would be fun to have a contest with booze and treadmills. Last person standing wins.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dying
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2006, 08:07:29 pm »

Last person standing wins.

I'm in. Setting four, and three quart jugs set along side me...
Aaaaaaaand, GO!



Oh, and, I think the gay feeling comes purely from the fact, as I said, I haven't (ahem) jumped rope since I was about 9, and I don't know anyone else who does. But as I say, it's the best source of aerobic excercise I can come up with that won't cripple me.
That said, the other night when I dehydrated myself into cramping, I thought I'd given myself another hernia. One jump and I felt it... Never had cramp in the hernia spot before, yet I have had a hernia, so naturally I was a little wary.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40   Go Up