Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Childhood misunderstandings?  (Read 15027 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 03:04:42 am »

I thought that in embryonic development that the fetus starts out with its preset chromosomes (XX or XY most often) but that its organ development starts as "neutral". The gonads start out in the abdominal cavity, and then as development progresses, they either stay where they are as ovaries, or change into testes and move downwards.

That's where I assumed that jough was getting the "did you know that all humans start out as females and then become male if they are awesome enough?" from.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 08:42:54 am »

I pretty much had the basics correct as far as what fit where (I had access to Gray's Anatomy and similar books at an early age), but I thought that pee was the only substance that came out of there and so deduced that babies came from urine.

I had the knowledge early but the experience late... but apparently it paid off, 'cause my "first time" assertion was met with disbelief.  Yay, I guess.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 03:27:06 am »

As a child, I thought that all sex was performed (what what) in the butt. I don't know when I finally came around to reality, but it must've been pretty young... I'm quite sure that by the time I discovered masturbation, I knew what went where.

The girl who gave in to my charms for the first time was my high school sweetheart. The summer after graduation, she left me. She ended up fat, butch, and in the Air Force. A few years later, when she was in town, she invited me to her parents' house. In the dining room, tucked into a mirror, was a picture of her, her daughter, and the man she married because he was the daughter's dad. In FRONT of the picture, in a really nice frame, was our prom picture. Clearly, her parents knew where she went wrong.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 04:06:44 am »

I have always been a big fan of the fact that even though I dated my ex girlfriend for like a year, they never replaced the picture of me with my 10th Grade Prom Date with one of me and the new girlfriend.
Who ended up being kind of horrible?
They finally took that picture down later, when I was dating a different, non-horrible girl. Now I don't know what is in that spot... I will check on spring break.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 07:19:17 am »

As a child, I thought that all sex was performed (what what) in the butt. I don't know when I finally came around to reality.

Now which goes where now? Jeez, no wonder my wife is always pissed off.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 08:21:29 am »

My dad sat me down and explained the mechanics of sex to me when I was two, on account of I had a baby brother on the way and he wanted me to know how this had come to pass.  I'm generally pretty gullible, and my dad enjoys taking advantage of this.  For example, when I was eleven I said to him,
"Dad, is it okay to mix root beer and dr. pepper?"
"Oh, no, it's not," he said.  "If you mix them it'll cause a chemical reaction, there'll be a huge explosion.  It'll blow up half the house, probably kill the whole family."
"Oh," I said, "Okay." 
Nonetheless, when he told me the tab-A-in-slot-B truth about where babies came from, my reaction was like, "Dad, that's ridiculous.  Quit messing with me.  Where do they really come from?" 

So I knew the mechanics, but I had some social misconceptions about how sex worked.  I didn't know that it felt good, I thought it was purely a procreative act, and so I couldn't understand why people would have casual sex or use condoms.  I also had no idea what its social context was, for a while.  I knew I wanted to have a baby eventually, and I imagined that the scene would go down like this:  My future husband and I would be sitting around the kitchen table, having some breakfast.  I would tap my fingers nervously, and say,
"Hey, sweety?  I was thinking... do you want to... um... have a baby?"  Then his face would light up, and he would say,
"Oh, yes Alternate, I do!  I want to have several babies!" 
"Well, that's great, so do I."
"Okay then!"
"So..." I would say, tapping my fingers again, "You, uh... you do know what we have to do... right?" 
"We... we have to do something?" he'd say, his smile fading.  "My parents didn't tell me about this!" 

In high school I still had a bunch of weird misunderstandings about sex, such as "girls are obligated to do what boys want," and "girls must dress sexy or no one will like us," and "girls can repeatedly hook up with other girls and it doesn't mean we're not straight, it just means we're really good friends." 

As for virginity losses:  When I was twenty I had done things with ladies that some might consider sex, but I've never really counted that.  So by my definition I was a twenty year old virgin when I decided to move from the east coast to california with a dude I'd been dating for three days.  So we drove three thousand miles, to a place where I knew no one, me and this older guy I barely knew, this guy who really turned out to be kind of a jerk.  When we'd been there for about two weeks my mother called me one morning after the guy had left for work.  "We're at war," she said, "The world trade center's been attacked.  We're at war, and we don't even know with who."  I thought that the world was going to end, or at least that american society was going to collapse, the infrastructure was going to be destroyed, and that if I ever wanted to see my mother again I'd have to go by wagon train and that the wagon train would probably get stuck in the utah winter and the people in my party would have to eat each other in order to survive. 

A week later I lost my virginity.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 01:28:26 pm »

Best virginity story ever!
Might have been better if it had gone like your childhood fantasy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 07:59:01 pm »

yeah. I spent a long time not understanding why people liked sex.

In retrospect, my childhood sexual fantasies were really terrifying and fucked up. I am scared.
WHY DID YOU MAKE ME THINK ABOUT THIS!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 12:13:09 am »

Hmm... maybe if you tell us about them, you will feel better?  No, I am lying.  I just want to know because of morbid curiosity, and if you tell us you will probably feel worse. 

Back to the subject at hand, kind of:  I remembered a story from a friend of mine, about his own childhood sexual misunderstanding turned bizarre paranoid fantasy.  As a kid, he somehow developed this theory that he was the only boy in the world who only had one c*ck.  Technically he knew this wasn't true, he'd seen anatomy books, he'd probably seen other boys in the shower, but still this fear haunted him even into adulthood.  He was terrified that one day, in a crowded room, someone would hit him in his junk, and he'd double over in pain, exclaiming, "Ow!  My one c*ck!" 

And then the room would fall silent.  Everyone would turn and look at him.  They'd glare at him with shock and scorn, and they would say, in chorus, "Just one?"
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 12:37:39 am »

mostly they revolved around horrible women who only wanted me for my seed.

Also I had a fucked up image of sex from seeing Goldeneye-- there is one sex scene which seems very quiet and un-exciting, and then one (at the time) terrifying sex scene with lots of moaning and growling and biting. And then... she somehow kills him by having sex with him? I originally understood this as somehow involving the fact that if a woman stops having sex with a man "in the middle," he will die/experience horrible pain.

that is basically it. That is basically all of my problems.

PS this is the part where you say "dan, um, that isn't a misunderstanding. it's true."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:42:34 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 01:11:09 am »

In high school I still had a bunch of weird misunderstandings about sex, such as "girls are obligated to do what boys want," and "girls must dress sexy or no one will like us,"

Yeah, you and a lot of other women. This bothers me more than I think anything else that I can think of. This is basically America's fault, because our culture is a bunch of fuckheads. I would like to also point out here that I enjoy the way you write. I am sorry for the digression.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 02:53:07 am »

It's a touch harsh to blame that one on america, sexism and objectification of women had a pretty fair run up before america even got started.

inev: I couldn't tell if you ever figured out what actually happened in that scene from your post so to put your mind at ease she killed him by strangulation, specifically by crushing his diaphram with her large russian thighs. So your perfectly safe so long as you stick to chicks that don't do gymnastics or track or anything.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 03:05:59 am »

It's a touch harsh to blame that one on america, sexism and objectification of women had a pretty fair run up before america even got started.

Surely Alternate's misunderstandings aren't because of the ancient Egyptians, the Incas, or even Louis XIV (or Hitler?) instilling objectification of women in men in those cultures? No, I'm going to go ahead and blame the misunderstandings experienced by women here and now (I'm not thin enough, I should submit to my man, I should shave various regions of my body and apply makeup to the other areas) on the fucked-up culture that we live in and grew up in. We didn't originate it, true, but I think we've done more to ensure that (in this culture) women know, from day one, that they are to be subservient and constantly striving to look different then they naturally appear in order to make the almighty man happy.

Um, don't get me started. Pet peeve. I usually keep it sort of hidden. Sorry about that, Doc. It an't nothing on you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:09:30 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 03:17:40 am »

No, actually it's fair enough because you're right. Repeating the mistakes of the past isn't an excuse, especially when we can see how goddamn stupid we are being.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood misunderstandings?
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 03:36:37 am »

Surely Alternate's misunderstandings aren't because of the ancient Egyptians, the Incas, or even Louis XIV (or Hitler?) instilling objectification of women in men in those cultures? No, I'm going to go ahead and blame the misunderstandings experienced by women here and now (I'm not thin enough, I should submit to my man, I should shave various regions of my body and apply makeup to the other areas) on the fucked-up culture that we live in and grew up in. We didn't originate it, true, but I think we've done more to ensure that (in this culture) women know, from day one, that they are to be subservient and constantly striving to look different then they naturally appear in order to make the almighty man happy.

Um, don't get me started. Pet peeve. I usually keep it sort of hidden. Sorry about that, Doc. It an't nothing on you.

Nabu, I love you.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up