Yeah, see, I'm in a weird place about that.
I don't want her to be mistaken for a boy, because of girl power and stuff, and also it was embarrassing when P was little to have to tell people that my "pretty little girl" ...wasn't. (He's dressed in all blue, and his shirt has a big picture of a dump truck on it. Seriously, people, I can't be any clearer than this.) I'm sure she'll be dressed towards the boy side more often than not, simply because that's what we have, mostly. I pulled out all the stuff that actually had the word "boy" printed somewhere on it, but everything else is pretty much fair game.
At the same time, there are some cuuuute things out there for baby girls. Plus, girl clothes are easier to find than boy clothes. Last Easter, I was looking for a church outfit for P that didn't involve a sweater vest. I went to Kohl's and they had FOUR RACKS of Easter dresses, and HALF A RACK of dressy clothes for boys. And they were all hideous. (At two and a half, I felt he was a little old for bunny-and-chicky appliqués.) So he ended up wearing khakis and a button-up shirt from Old Navy. And a diagonal-striped clip-on tie. Finding just a basic outfit such as you would put on an actual man is pretty difficult. But you have options for little girls. Especially before they hit the age of 8, and all of a sudden all the clothes get slutty and you can't find anything without glitter.
So I'm torn between my post-feminist desire to reject traditional gender stereotypes, and my progesterone-induced need to purchase very small articles of clothing with ruffles, ribbons, and screen-printed bunnies.
It's a challenge. I'm leaning towards red, purple, and turquoise, mostly, to convey femininity without the diva-princess connotation of pink. Although the wrap top and ##### I am planning to knit for her trip home from the hospital will be pink and purple, I'm probably going to use the deep eggplant shade for the main color and the warm petal pink for the trim.
And I think this post proves that I have spent waaaaaaaaay too much time considering this.