But man, characterizing all "indie rock" as trying to sound "like Joan Baez but with smaller balls..."
sometimes I think that I must have a different kind of ears than you have or something. I am not arguing about this shit in every thread ever, so, I guess this is all I will say.
This is the time of year when "best of 2007" lists start appearing like mushrooms after a spring rain. So I went to Pitchfork and various music blogs to suss out what the young people of America are crushing on these days. I downloaded about thirty selections that seemed to be common favorites. And after listening to this stuff, I can safely state that not all indie rock these days sounds like balls-free Joan Baez.
Panda Bear, Pitchfork's BFF, sounds like the Mamas and the Papas stuck at the bottom of a grain silo. They put the lotion in the basket or they get the hose.
LCD Soundsystem sounds like a young man on X trying to recreate a New Order album with an old Casio keyboard.
Battles sound like the Lollipop Guild with a bad hangover.
Animal Collective sound like someone banging a floor tom and yelping next to a Ms. Pac-Man machine.
Of Montreal are the soundtrack for a bunch of young guys having a circle jerk while using their free hands to smoke clove cigarettes.
M.I.A. sounds like...shit.
There were a few decent songs by Caribou, Iron & Wine and Okkervil River, but otherwise...what a basketload of dickless white-boy crap. There were more energy, hooks and balls in a song by Avril Lavigne, for christ's sake, and even that was a complete rip-off of an old Rubinoos song!
You kids get the hell off my lawn!