Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349121 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2190 on: February 23, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »

wait... they don't lose?? I didn't watch the whole thing, but... isn't the whole point that they're badasses because in this one incredibly specific situation it was good to refuse to surrender or retreat?
They Lose. The Spartans Lose. The movie does not demonstrate this.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2191 on: February 23, 2008, 08:29:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure it does. It's kind of ambiguous, but they do seem to lose at the end.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2192 on: February 23, 2008, 08:30:35 pm »

...spend the whole afternoon reading blogs about The Wire, apparently, while I wait to hear how late the Technical Staff's flight home will take off. Bleah.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2193 on: February 23, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »

Go to an art exhibit where 6 collectors each got to be guest curator for one room in the building. The best was a graffiti room where you can purchase individual panels or you can buy all the panels and apparently the artist will replicate the parts of the installation that extends beyond and in between the panels. If you're loaded that is.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2194 on: February 23, 2008, 11:24:12 pm »

Quote
They Lose. The Spartans Lose. The movie does not demonstrate this.

No, no, that's what I was saying. I assumed they would show them losing, as the ultimate badass thing is that they were willing to be cut down by the Persians to buy the rest of the greek army time to defend Greece as a whole.
I guess... the other Greek armies were also left out, so, what did I expect.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2195 on: February 23, 2008, 11:36:53 pm »

No, no, that's what I was saying. I assumed they would show them losing, as the ultimate badass thing is that they were willing to be cut down by the Persians to buy the rest of the greek army time to defend Greece as a whole.

I mean... I remember this part being in the movie? Or did you mean the final battle with the rest of the greeks A-Cap? My knowledge of the history is hazy but I think they eventually defeated them in a naval battle. But then in real life there were also like 2000 people who were left behind to defend the pass and they were part of a much larger force that had pulled back to regroup anyway.
I thought it was a pretty good movie and don't care particularly about it's historical accuracy is what I'm saying.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2196 on: February 24, 2008, 03:41:33 am »

Today a guy I have never known walked into my apartment. I was in the living room minding my own business and here comes this character, tall awkward white guy, and he makes this face like hes as surprised to see me as I am to see him.
Me: "Hello? Are you looking for [my roommate]?
Guy: "What? Uh. No. Im just here to borrow your tv."
Me: "what?"
guy: "Im here to borrow your tv, can I borrow your tv? Thanks."
Me: What? No.
Guy: Ok, ill just be a minute, Ill be back in an hour.
Me: No. When I said No, I meant No you cannot take my tv.
Guy: No its cool, ill be right back.
Me: (Rises, sets aggressive posture) No. Youre going to leave. Now. And you're never going to come back.
Guy: huh? I really just...
Me: Bye (Pushes him out the door, he looks confused)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2197 on: February 24, 2008, 08:49:45 am »

i went to this party, and my ex-girlfriend from high school was there (who augie and I ran into, weird) and her friend who she was with was all cute and shit, weird, and it was a party where people made 15-minute playlists and everyone's got played... and mine was awesome funk and everyone loved it, except everyone had left at that point so it was just like 7 people....

and then I had a weird conversation with my friend who is dating this girl who is a senior about how she is all "i don't want to be in an exclusive relationship" and I told him explicit details about this lady who I previously smooched and want to smooch again, and I basically want to be like "you are the prettiest and raddest girl ever, do you want to just like, make out for 2 months and then graduate, I am totally cool with that." and he was all "wait you did more than just smooch her, that is insane, she is like so pretty, she is so pretty, you know"

So yeah, my night was interesting and all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2198 on: February 24, 2008, 05:01:47 pm »

Not enough conversations revolve around the word "smooch" anymore.

It's all "crunk" this and "re-deployed" that and "default" the other thing but...

Not enough "smooch".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2199 on: February 24, 2008, 05:23:50 pm »

um, I am not particularly happy about having posted that. Apologies.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2200 on: February 24, 2008, 07:08:13 pm »

A-Cap: WTF? World's stupidest criminal, or what? How bizarre.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2201 on: February 24, 2008, 08:27:10 pm »

A-Cap: WTF? World's stupidest criminal, or what? How bizarre.
Yea I dont know what to make of it. I can only assume he was high on something that makes people want to steal tvs from occupied apartments in the middle of the day.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2202 on: February 25, 2008, 07:27:05 am »

junior housing lottery numbers range from 1500 to 3000-some. I got 1660. This is awesome, but I guess seniors get between 1 and 1500, so, maybe it isn't as awesome as I think?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2203 on: February 25, 2008, 01:36:44 pm »

...go to the dentist. Waaaah!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2204 on: February 26, 2008, 12:59:26 am »

we went to look at a non-university owned apartment, and it was AWESOME and much closer than we initially thought. However, it is only 2 bedrooms. If one of the guys transfers, one guy has said he would be willing to sleep in a room that is not actually supposed to be a bedroom. I feel like this is a horrible horrible idea, but I guess it's his choice. There is a 3-bedroom apartment in a building right next door that we could also get.
also, looking at a map, it is definitely further than our dorm is from main campus, and the other 2 guys have cars and that is why they don't care. I am going to go on an expedition sometime soon to measure exactly how long it takes to walk.
Aug-- it is like a 1 minute walk north of Delmar, right by the Tivoli.

but yeah, it's like... nice kitchen, 2 bedrooms slightly bigger than our dorm rooms now (I am maybe underestimating, I am not a very spatial person), big living room type area, and then a little sun-room with lots of windows (which will let out all of our heating, awesome). Just re-painted, hardwood floors, slate floor in the kitchen. For a price that... to me sounds simultaneously "oh my god, that is so much money" and "wait, for real, we pay that much and we get an apartment to live in!?" It is certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than living in a dorm.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:07:00 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 878   Go Up