The other day, I found a record in the radio station that I've been looking for since I was a sophomore in high school. It was in a bin of records to be thrown out, I don't know why. It was Crazy Rhythms by the Feelies, which I have described to people as "what I would sound like if I were a really brilliant band" or something to that effect. The CD is out of print and has been forever... apparently record stores typically charge hell of money for a copy. I have it on my computer, but, that isn't the same. When I found it I screamed in a really embarassing way.
Listening to it, I realized that I really want their distortion sound, and yesterday I saw a band whose guitarist had the same kind of sound-- I asked him what kind of overdrive he uses, he told me, and now I know what I want to buy once I've worked all summer (although maybe I will buy a cheap drumset instead, as I've always wanted to learn basic drum stuff.)