Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344189 times)

0 Members and 197 Guests are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4695 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:31 am »

Also, today I realized that the Rolling Stones were fuck*ng amazing before Brian Jones died.  Especially Between the Buttons (UK version, don't know even if there is a US version, but it said (UK) after it automatically in iTunes, so I can assume.  It is probably good too, but I cannot speak for it.)

Hell yes they were. And hell yes Between The Buttons is one of their best albums. The UK and US versions were, in fact, different: the UK version has several not-found-elsewhere songs that the US version doesn't, while the US version had Let's Spend The Night Together and Ruby Tuesday, which were only singles in the UK, because the UK version of Between the Buttons had the Balls to realise that it didn't need those songs to be awesome.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4696 on: May 22, 2009, 01:36:24 am »

Yeah, I re-downloaded the whole discography in UK format to get their first two albums and all of the early singles.  The UK - US difference is huge.  UK= cohesive kick ass albums with bad ass singles, US= weaker albums featuring the singles.  Got to go UK.  Before this I never really cared about the Rolling Stones and had a mix match of US and Uk releases. 

I like how all the early great British bands did the whole US release thing differently.  It makes it hard in an easy, cool way, at least in the digital age.  The worst example of US release I can think of (and it is not that early of a band) is the Clash self titled.  No Police and Thieves?  That is their best fuck*ng song!  Even better than the Lee Perry version.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4697 on: May 22, 2009, 02:56:52 am »

Quote
I mean, the actual facts/ info isn't important, it is learning to think.
That is part of his argument. That they are stupid because they have not learned how to think.

I hate this, because I think failing to make a distinction between stupidity and ignorance is... both stupid and ignorant.

"I think you pretty much just put your foot in your mouth, and I'm glad it's here for the world to see."
Fuck you, asswipe.

He is trying to say that most of our peers, put in a desperate situation, would not turn to crime. Because they are "smart."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:11:11 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4698 on: May 22, 2009, 03:14:51 am »


He is trying to say that most of our peers, put in a desperate situation, would not turn to crime. Because they are "smart."

Sounds like he's led a very sheltered life.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4699 on: May 22, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »

Yes, I think it is pretty clear that I am on the right side of history.

also: I am glad that he was not right that everyone agrees with him except for me.

You are obviously a much smarter group than a bunch of snotty undergrad philosophy majors. Not that I needed any proof of that to begin with.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4700 on: May 22, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »

... piss in a gatorade bottle cause my roommate is fuck*ng in the bathroom.

Meh, what are you going to do?

Ok if you are pissing in his gatorade bottle.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4701 on: May 22, 2009, 07:22:04 pm »

You are obviously a much smarter group than a bunch of snotty undergrad philosophy majors.

If that's true then it's proof that one can overcome being a snotty undergrad philosophy major.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4702 on: May 22, 2009, 07:26:57 pm »

Also, today I realized that the Rolling Stones were fuck*ng amazing before Brian Jones died.  Especially Between the Buttons (UK version, don't know even if there is a US version, but it said (UK) after it automatically in iTunes, so I can assume.  It is probably good too, but I cannot speak for it.)

They did indeed have an American version.  I have my mother's original LP from 65-6.  Been listening to it basically all my life.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4703 on: May 22, 2009, 07:29:39 pm »

I like how all the early great British bands did the whole US release thing differently.  It makes it hard in an easy, cool way, at least in the digital age.  The worst example of US release I can think of (and it is not that early of a band) is the Clash self titled.  No Police and Thieves?  That is their best fuck*ng song!  Even better than the Lee Perry version.

It's because they were on different labels.  In general the British versions were more what the band intended and the American versions were cut and paste.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4704 on: May 22, 2009, 07:31:44 pm »

Inev, you just look this douche bag in the eye and say in a clear voice "Sorry to Love Bologna."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4705 on: May 22, 2009, 08:32:35 pm »

I read an article (now, actually, two articles) that say that the Beatles didn't care about stereo, and focused on the mono mixes. This makes me want to hear mono mixes of Beatles albums. My dad says this is bunk and obviously untrue. Thoughts? I did not want to argue with him an have another embarrassing "my son knows more about music made during my lifetime than I do" moment, or an equally bad "my son thinks he knows more about music made during my lifetime than I do. (not that one of these has happened... yet.)"

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4706 on: May 22, 2009, 08:54:46 pm »

It's because they were on different labels.  In general the British versions were more what the band intended and the American versions were cut and paste.

Yeah, I know that. 

I read an article (now, actually, two articles) that say that the Beatles didn't care about stereo, and focused on the mono mixes. This makes me want to hear mono mixes of Beatles albums. My dad says this is bunk and obviously untrue. Thoughts? I did not want to argue with him an have another embarrassing "my son knows more about music made during my lifetime than I do" moment, or an equally bad "my son thinks he knows more about music made during my lifetime than I do. (not that one of these has happened... yet.)"

Yeah, I read that.  Was curious, hard to find, gave up.  If only Oink was still here.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4707 on: May 22, 2009, 09:49:10 pm »

A bunch of my friends are on Waffles, but have not gotten to the point where they can invite people yet.

I will keep you guys in mind if I ever achieve an invite.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4708 on: May 23, 2009, 12:57:41 am »

...buy a new laptop because the old one totally sucks and I can't stand it one more minute.

A friend also just got a new refrigerator today because the one she had suddenly died.

I conclude that the best way to get the economy moving again would be to make sure that everything is crap so people are having to buy new stuff all the time. I'm sure there's something wrong with this idea, but I can't put my finger on it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4709 on: May 23, 2009, 01:06:07 am »

I read an article (now, actually, two articles) that say that the Beatles didn't care about stereo, and focused on the mono mixes. This makes me want to hear mono mixes of Beatles albums. My dad says this is bunk and obviously untrue. Thoughts? I did not want to argue with him an have another embarrassing "my son knows more about music made during my lifetime than I do" moment, or an equally bad "my son thinks he knows more about music made during my lifetime than I do. (not that one of these has happened... yet.)"



Yes, absolutely true, at least through Sgt. Pepper's. Get the boxed set of mono albums when the remasters are released on September 9th.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 878   Go Up