Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347651 times)

0 Members and 168 Guests are viewing this topic.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5940 on: November 13, 2009, 04:26:05 pm »

Good luck.  I work for Kaplan teaching LSAT, GMAT and GRE prep.  They'll probably ask you about your standardized test scores...

Oh, awesome!  Do you enjoy working for them?  My test scores have always been off the charts, so I think that will be fine.  I had the highest ACT score in the history of my high school (a score of 34).  After I graduated in 1990, someone in my sister's class (1995) got a 35, so I live in infamy no more.

Oh, and I didn't take the SAT in high school.  I took it in junior high, when I was 11; I don't remember the exact scores, but they were in the average-to-good range for people of the age who normally take it.

Edited to add:  and yet I am a rather normal, low-functioning member of society despite the obvious geekiness exhibited above.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:36:22 pm by bluemoon72 »
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5941 on: November 13, 2009, 04:32:18 pm »

I have always done well on standardized tests (not as well as you, Blue, but well enough). But I bombed the math part of the GRE. I got a perfect score on the verbal, and something abysmal (I think a 300 out of 800) on the math. I thought it was more of a "logical thinking" test, but it turned out you actually needed to remember formulae and stuff.

Horrifying.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5942 on: November 13, 2009, 04:44:42 pm »

TODAY I HAVE DECIDED THAT IT IS CAPSLOCK FRIDAY, THE COUSIN TO FUCK YOU FRIDAY.  THIS IS HOW I FEEL TODAY.

I HAD A NICE MORNING AT THE GYM.  I KNOCKED OUT A BUNCH OF REPS ON THE REPPING MACHINES AND TOTALLY BLASTED MY ...ABDELTQUADS.

THEN I GOT TO WORK, AND IT IS LIKE MENTALLY BEING IN A WIND TUNNEL FILLED WITH SAND.   

OUT OF RESPECT, I WILL NOT POST MUCH TODAY.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5943 on: November 13, 2009, 05:04:46 pm »

Canned. I am a fan of the exicted/confused caps lock bit. There was a funny alt on another board I'm on based on that.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5944 on: November 13, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »

"I did show him the descriptions you wrote and he's nuts over it."

I missed the 's in he's the first time I read this which I took it to mean he really really liked it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5945 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »

I once started to apply for that Kaplan test prep teaching thing and they really do ask for your test scores. Which are like decades old and I no longer know what they were.

I wasn't kidding.  It's really sort of an advertising gimmick so they can tell potential students that they're being taught by somebody who scored in the 95 percentile of their test.

It's not a bad side gig, if you like teaching.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5946 on: November 13, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »

I wasn't kidding.  It's really sort of an advertising gimmick so they can tell potential students that they're being taught by somebody who scored in the 95 percentile of their test.

It's not a bad side gig, if you like teaching.

Well, the position I interviewed for isn't on the teaching side, but the instructional design side.  The interview went great--I got a really welcoming vibe off of the Curriculum Manager, and she let me know the whole process--other people will be phone interviewed, then about 8 will come in for in-person interviews, and two of those will be invited for a second in-person interview with the vice president.  She seemed to think I have an overabundance of experience for this rather entry-level job, but I assured her that as I do not yet have a degree in Instructional Design I am very comfortable with moving into an entry-level training design position.  I also assured her that while the salary was in the entry-level range, it would still be a lateral move for me, and as such very acceptable (I work in local government and make $diddly.squat).

She didn't ask me about any test scores--but she did ask me several personality questions such as "If you and a few friends decided to drive somewhere, would you drive, sit in the front passenger seat, or in the back seat, and why?" and "Describe the music of your favorite band or musician."

I get the feeling that my work history and skills couldn't be any better for this position, actually.  I've been doing training development assistance, desktop publishing, and technical writing for the past five years and have been taking continuing education programs to move into instructional design and development, with an emphasis on e-learning.  While this position I'm interested in focuses mainly on content development for in-classroom training, Kaplan is moving into some e-learning aspects, she said, and they are going to be utilizing webinars and video production more in this division. I have experience in those areas (which many assistants do not).  I also have advanced skills in several software applications that others don't (Adobe Captivate, Illustrator, and InDesign, among others).  But, without a master's degree (or for that matter even a bachelor's degree, sigh) I just don't qualify for more than the basic entry level position in ID.  But I'm smart and learn very quickly and will definitely work my way up in the industry once I can get my foot in the door.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:27:27 pm by bluemoon72 »
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5947 on: November 13, 2009, 11:52:35 pm »

She didn't ask me about any test scores--but she did ask me several personality questions such as "If you and a few friends decided to drive somewhere, would you drive, sit in the front passenger seat, or in the back seat, and why?" and "Describe the music of your favorite band or musician."

OMG, if someone asked me these questions in a job interview I would immediately poke them in the eye and leave.

Not that I am recommending this. I am sure you will have more success in life than I have.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5948 on: November 13, 2009, 11:57:12 pm »

Tell them you'd ride in the trunk.  The road noise drowns out the screaming voices in your head.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5949 on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:49 am »

OMG, if someone asked me these questions in a job interview I would immediately poke them in the eye and leave.

Not that I am recommending this. I am sure you will have more success in life than I have.

I would probably answer by analyzing the question to see if I could tease out what the various answers would mean to the interviewer.  "Well lets see, if I said that I wanted to drive you would probably interpret that as meaning that I like to be in control.  That could mean one of two things.  On the one hand a person that takes charge tends to get things done, but they often are not a good team players and may have a difficulty following orders.  etc...  
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5950 on: November 14, 2009, 12:21:37 am »

Yeah, I like to be in control, but I hate driving a car, so I would probably say "why don't you ask me what you really mean instead of some bullshit story like I am a five year old." This I guess is why I am a person who works at home and deals with everyone I work for by email.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5951 on: November 14, 2009, 06:54:02 am »

WTF, this bro took her to every record store, donut shop, giant ancient mound, thrift store, park, and weirdo art thing in St Louis, but she has not been to the city museum!?
DONE, DECIDED.

Have you done this yet?  Go on Sunday.  My friend is showing his film about artcars.  He should have this with him.  Probably some others too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5952 on: November 14, 2009, 01:52:19 pm »

I agree with wombat on that question.

Real Life Incident: An interviewer once asked me how people and oranges are similar, my answer was "Well, they both hang from trees until they rot and fall to the ground."

Surprisingly, I got the job. I later learned that the woman was looking for something like "They all have Navels."

Incredibly asinine.

So how did the job turn out? Was it OK? Or did you spend the whole time wanting to poke this woman in the eye?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5953 on: November 14, 2009, 04:02:57 pm »

Oh well, in 5 hours I will have this class for 2.5 hours (TORTURE) and then take a long nap, and then go see King Khan and the BBQ Show.
Then it will be the weekend, which I will spend eating and sleeping. STAY POSITIVE, FOCUS ON GOALS, YEAH.

Is it ironic that I was so lazy about writing a paper about the protestant work ethic? yes.
http://pitchfork.com/news/37111-king-khan-bbq-show-miss-gig-possibly-arrested-on-drug-charges/

So much for that.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5954 on: November 15, 2009, 03:50:20 am »

...go to the birthday party of Bobby Isoceles and live to tell about it.

I forgot my camera, so the only evidence I have is this cell phone picture of my pug purse enjoying a beer.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 878   Go Up