Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349742 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7080 on: March 19, 2010, 03:23:20 am »

What can I do to put you in a p-funk show today.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7081 on: March 19, 2010, 03:32:30 am »

What can I do to put you in a p-funk show today.

mason jarred
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7082 on: March 19, 2010, 03:39:20 am »

What can I do to put you in a p-funk show today.

You could tear the roof off the motherfucker...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7083 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:21 am »

Quote from: pmcd9
What can I do to put you in a p-funk show today.

"Can I interest you... in some Hanuukah?"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7084 on: March 19, 2010, 06:39:27 am »

... go see my girlfriend read her poems at a poetry reading.
she is a very nervous person, and she was put between two really funny guys.

One of them just comes up and starts screaming in Spanish, lots of curses and yelling, and at the end he just pauses for half a second and the goes "oh, so like a year ago I was reading this really racist Pat Buchanan piece about Sonia Sotomayor, and as a hispanic man, I thought to myself, am I that threatening? Am I like, this radicalized threatening presence? So then I wrote this poem where I cuss at Pat Buchanan."

It was very funny.

And then my cute, nervous girlfriend came up and said something that I recognized as "I am incredibly nervous and trying to make excuses for my work," but which came across as "this poem is going to have long words you don't know, because you are stupid" and then some other really pretentious-seeming things.
She definitely takes her work a lot more seriously than any of those other people, which was sure... something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7085 on: March 19, 2010, 07:06:27 am »

The worst thing about poetry readings is that they are basically not at all about the poetry and basically all about the reading.

Bonus points is you can kinda rap your poem or kinda sing your poem or deliver it in a staccato manner that is appropriate to stereotypes of your ethnic group.

The actual material is like an apple seed, the actual point of the exercise of being an apple and yet discarded the moment it is reached.

Blah.

(Am I bitter that I am a terrible performer of my own words? Does the pope shit on a bear?)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7086 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:02 am »

Instead of cat dicks
Politics of poetry
Ed-u-ca-ti-on.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7087 on: March 19, 2010, 09:26:44 pm »

oh, this wasn't like that, because everyone was a white person.

there was one asian chick and one black chick, but they just kind of normal-read theirs, too.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7088 on: March 19, 2010, 10:02:36 pm »

Oh, man I have been to poetry readings where I am the only non-white person there, and the privledge university types are all talking about the downtrodden... and I just kind of want to get up there and smack someone.  Shut up.  YOU. DO. NOT. KNOW.  I can tell that reading poems in that "all knowing" tone that happens at poetry readins makes the readers and audience feel like they know... but holy shit... no.  Such crap.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7089 on: March 19, 2010, 10:18:11 pm »

these poems were not about like, being downtrodden. they were mostly about like, boring bullshit, or else they were goofy jokes.

there was one about a lonely old man that was very "I met an old person once, this is what I imagine his life was like."
But I think I would have preferred more of that to more stories/poems about like, I really like my girlfriend, we fuck each other.

I dont' know. I feel like... if you write about your own problems people give you "you're so privileged and how dare you complain about your problems." if you write about other people's problems you get "how dare you write about someone else's problems like you know them." So what the fuck can you write about?

if I watch a Wes Anderson movie people give me shit about watching a movie about Rich People Problems, if I watch a movie about Poor People Problems I get told that I'm just a typical white liberal trying to feel better about myself blah blah blah. fuck that noise.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7090 on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »

to clarify: my beef is not with Smells, I am sure that the poems she heard were insufferable and stupid and ill-informed.

there is a distinction between "you have no right to talk about this" and "you are completely uninformed about this, learn more before you talk about it." that is important.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:15:35 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7091 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:17 pm »

you don't work in sales do you miles

Hey man if I don't puke then it wasn't a good party. I just assume everyone else feels that way.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7092 on: March 20, 2010, 01:13:53 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7093 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:57 am »

Hey man if I don't puke then it wasn't a good party. I just assume everyone else feels that way.

I do, until the next morning.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7094 on: March 20, 2010, 05:44:18 am »

Today I made my own Cream of Chicken Soup from scratch.

Screw you, can of Cream of Chicken Soup.  Mine was WAY better.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 878   Go Up