Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348756 times)

0 Members and 221 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8940 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »

You gotta take shit apart to get your headlight bulb out?  Mine just pops right out.  It's got a little spring you compress to hold it in place.  I took it out at the parts store.  Replacement time less than 5 minutes.

I have to pop the hood, remove two bolts to get the headlight assembly off of the body, detach the power cord and then do the bit with the spring.

It could be way worse. A friend just fixed his headlight and in his car you have to go up through the wheel well. I heard it was a nightmare.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8941 on: January 11, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »

So I'm meant to be heading up north to a town called Rockhampton this week to spend a year at the hospital there. But it's underwater. This mightn't be a problem as it's meant to be draining by the end of the week except that much of the roads in between are also underwater and no one really knows what condition they're in.
Lots of my friends are going to Toowoomba, another town out west, including some people got temporarily moved there because of the flooding situation in Rocky. Except that last night it just had a massive flash flood that killed four people.
Today the news is telling us that anyone near the Brisbane river should be ready for flooding due to more heavy rains and a king tide.

We kind of walk around the world thinking we own it and that modern technology has rendered irrelevant all inconveniences. So it's nice to be reminded sometimes that, no, nature can still fuck with our shit whenever it wants.

Stay safe Doc.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8942 on: January 11, 2011, 06:55:22 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8943 on: January 11, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »

blew a bunch of money on new ##### and a sweater I probably don't need (I need another navy-blue v-neck like I need a really stylish hole in the head). Also, a book by John Fahey that I've wanted for a while.

DISPOSABLE INCOME. YES.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8944 on: January 11, 2011, 10:46:39 pm »

Stay safe Doc.

Yeah, some people be crazy. Me and mine are fine though, though a couple of my uni friends are worryingly close to the river.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8945 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:04 pm »

Also, a book by John Fahey that I've wanted for a while.

How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8946 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »

yeah!

it cost way more than it should have, but I saw it and wanted it and bought it.

actually, I guess it cost the same as it would have cost online. whatever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8947 on: January 12, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »

I bought a bunch of clothes I needed (3 tops, 2 #####, 2 skirts) after my favorite pair of yoga ##### caught on a corner of my daughter's potty chair and developed an unfortunate hole. I spent $65, and while I was showing my online cart to Pedro so he could validate my decision/assuage my guilt about spending money on myself, he said, "Wow, that is a lot of clothes for not very much money. Especially since you haven't bought yourself anything since last spring."

I think maybe I am a little bit Roast Beefed in this way. I should probably talk to my therapist about this.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8948 on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »

You are so ARROGANT!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8949 on: January 12, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »

I bought a bunch of clothes I needed (3 tops, 2 #####, 2 skirts) after my favorite pair of yoga ##### caught on a corner of my daughter's potty chair and developed an unfortunate hole. I spent $65, and while I was showing my online cart to Pedro so he could validate my decision/assuage my guilt about spending money on myself, he said, "Wow, that is a lot of clothes for not very much money. Especially since you haven't bought yourself anything since last spring."

I think maybe I am a little bit Roast Beefed in this way. I should probably talk to my therapist about this.

retail therapy doesnt work for you, but home improvement therapy does...... you are a strange bird.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8950 on: January 12, 2011, 05:47:56 pm »

retail therapy doesnt work for you, but home improvement therapy does...... you are a strange bird.

The thing is, when I improve my home, it is usually with the smallest possible financial investment (without sacrificing quality) plus the sweat of my brow (and a lot of help from my dad.) And that improves the lives of my spouse and children, so it's justifiable.

I do like to shop, I guess, as long as it's not for myself. I love nothing more than going out and blowing $500 on toys for my kids (even though they've got tons of stuff and we're running out of places to put it). I just don't like buying things for myself.

Yeah, like I said, deep-seated psychological damage. You guys should see my birthday wish list; it contains a can opener, some cutting boards, and a gift card to Home Depot. It's kind of pathetic, but I don't know what else to put on it -- there's nothing I want that I could reasonably expect other people to purchase for me. (I'm not being Beefy; most of the stuff I really could use is in the $500 - $3000 range. Who spends that much on an adult's birthday?)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8951 on: January 12, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »

You guys should see my birthday wish list; it contains a can opener, some cutting boards, and a gift card to Home Depot.

the saddest thing
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8952 on: January 12, 2011, 07:01:39 pm »

Quote
You guys should see my birthday wish list; it contains a can opener, some cutting boards, and a gift card to Home Depot.

You seeing this, secret santa?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8953 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56:39 pm »

the saddest thing

I mean.

There's a few more things on there. I really want a massage table, because Pedro has been studying massage and he's gotten quite good at it -- I've had worse massages from professionals, actually -- so that's on there, but nobody will buy it because it's expensive and vaguely sexual. And nobody will buy me a drop spindle, because they already think I'm too obsessed with yarn and knitting, and won't want to add any fuel to the fire.

I went this afternoon and added some shoes and a couple of magazine subscriptions. And a dish drainer, but I might buy that for myself anyway.

I am not hinting for my secret santa. I assume that whatever is going to be purchased has already been decided on and possibly even mailed. I will be embarrassed if one of the things on my wish list shows up at my door next week. I do have this problem where people (my mom and my in-laws) want to buy me stuff, but don't understand any of the things I actually would ask for. I have a hard time making a list for Christmas and my b-day, and the b-day list is always double stressful because I've just gotten a bunch of stuff for Christmas and don't need any more. So it's been on my mind a lot lately, I guess.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8954 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:11 pm »

Can't you make your own drop spindle?

I'm... reasonably sure my girlfriend has done that or at least knows how to.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 878   Go Up