Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350301 times)

0 Members and 187 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10470 on: October 06, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »

If it is possible to have less confidence in one's own abilities than LFM, I might have been in the running for that. And it's probably still holding me back to some extent. But I realized somewhere along the line that, holy crap, people are actually willing to give me money in exchange for written words. I can't believe my luck; I feel like I'm suckering them into it, and keep waiting for them to figure out the scam and ask for their checks back.

So far, so good.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10471 on: October 06, 2011, 09:40:05 pm »

I lack confidence in my abilities in a way that some people mistake as polite modesty, so I guess I have that going for me.

I think my interviewer was charmed by "my current job, well, honestly... a ***** could do it. And not even a smart *****. An erector set ***** could do my job, and most people would not notice."

Something about this lady really reminded me of someone who would post on here. She said "you're probably sick of hearing this, but you should go to grad school." So it seems I did a good job of conveying my passion and interest.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10472 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:19 pm »

Yes, sir. *slumps off*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10473 on: October 06, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »

An opendiary friend

I read "opendiary" as an adjective until I read further and got that it's a website. But in my mind it has a quite nice ring to it, and I think it could be a perfectly cromulent word.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10474 on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »

I did as well - something more cuddly than "incendiary".  Maybe Incen Diary could be a place to flame Open Diary.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10475 on: October 07, 2011, 01:44:58 am »

Today I'm gonna get two requests to use my photos: Some nuns want to use the pug in pug slippers in their newsletter, and a company that does "perinatal education" wants to use a a photo of a capybara nursing a litter of young to illustrate the evolution of mammals and their milk.

The Internet is a wonderful thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10476 on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:24 am »

Just got back from visiting my little bro in Nashville.


I'll bet if you'd told my parents one of their children would become an Environmental Studies/Poli-Sci double major, never date in college because he hasn't gotten over his first girlfriend, and say he wants to vote Green Party, they would not have guessed it would be my brother. Not in 1,000,000 years.

It makes me really sad that I think nobody in my family really understands him. We're always surprised by him, and in ways that show we have pretty uncharitable views of his behavior.

The only other real updates I have from this trip:
1. I'm never eating at PF Chang's again. Major drama pipes.
2. Vanderbilt has the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. It made me want to go there, just so I could walk around that gorgeous place and stare at the beautiful southern women.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10477 on: October 10, 2011, 06:30:58 am »

Hey my sister goes there!



Don't stare at her.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10478 on: October 10, 2011, 06:51:58 am »

Chang's will straight fuck a dude up.

Chang ain't messing around. Except with your intestines. Chang is definitely messing with intestines.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10479 on: October 10, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

You were in Nashville and you ate a PF Chang's?   Now that you've come to your senses, please remember there are probably the best BBQ places in the world in Nashville and that eating at some godforsaken chain restaurant when said options are right at had is a crime against meat.  The more you know!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10480 on: October 10, 2011, 01:08:32 pm »

Hey my friend goes to Vanderbilt! Feel free to stare at her.

The only other real updates I have from this trip:
1. I'm never eating at PF Chang's again. Major drama pipes.

Don't blame it on PF Chang's, it's the travel gods punishing you.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10481 on: October 10, 2011, 02:48:52 pm »

Chang's is actually one of my favorite places to eat -- my secret shame, to love a chain restaurant so much. But it's mostly because I get this one thing there, which is fantastic, and it's not exactly on the menu (well, all the components are on the menu, but I have a special thing I do), and it causes no drama pipes for me. I order the Wok-Seared Lamb (lamb and cilantro in brown sauce) and brown rice and a side plate of stir-fried sugar snap peas, and then I pile it all up together on a plate (leaving off the gross wilted lettuce they serve the lamb on, WTF Chang's?) and gruffle that shit down. It's more than enough for two people, so Pedro and I usually split it and then we each get one of their dessert shooters to wrap it all up. A full serving of veggies, and cheaper than ordering 2 full-size meals anyway. We split the savings with the waitress by giving her a nice big tip.

But yeah, that said, don't eat Chinese in Nashville if you've got a choice. There have got to be some awesome Southern cooking type places -- I wouldn't necessarily go barbecue, but well...a quick perusal of UrbanSpoon tells me that this place exists:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/47/769115/restaurant/Bellevue/Loveless-Cafe-Nashville
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10482 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:08 pm »

yeah, I know. I was trying to be a grown up who lets his little brother pick where we eat. He kind of thinks I am a big snobby asshole, so I thought, hey, he wants to eat at PF Chang's. Sure, let's go there.

We also ate horrible tacos, amazingly delicious pancakes, and acceptable ice cream.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10483 on: October 11, 2011, 05:24:08 am »

Can I go ahead and say y'all are rock 'n roll faggots? Because it is good, coming from me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10484 on: October 11, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

dang, I kind of thought I would get that job.

Continuing to come in here and work for free is going to be kind of frustrating. Time to start devoting hardcore time to looking for other jobs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 878   Go Up