OK, boys, keep your ##### on. There's no need to fight about this.
August, you seem to think Teach called SW re: Girlface. That's not so. SW was checking up on another child, noticed that Girlface's ##### were too small, and apparently got my info from the office and called me. I talked to Teach today and confirmed my suspicion -- the SW asked about her ill-fitting clothes in passing and Teach was in the middle of something else and blew her off because she couldn't figure out why SW would notice or care. So, score a point for Wombat on her instincts there.
For the record, I suspected that might be the case, but the SW made it sound (to me) like there was a conversation, not a one-off question and a non-answer from a busy special ed teacher. Teach called me about something unrelated (to let me know that the bus was going to be 40 minutes late arriving at the school and not to worry that Girlface wasn't home yet) and I took the opportunity to ask if she had five minutes to discuss something. She was shocked that SW called me without following up at school first. She said, "Obviously if I'd had time to fully process what she was asking I would have said that Girlface is usually more covered up than that and that it's not a sign of some major problem at home."
Teach was actually apologetic for SW having called. She said that "She gets a little overzealous sometimes. I've told her not to come anywhere near my class before 10 AM, and there were five adults in the room while I was trying to help a new student transition into his first day. It was rough, and all the coming and going made me want to scream. I finally told Assistant, if that door opens one more time I am going to lock it."
I told her I am glad that they have a SW who is that observant and willing to jump in and offer services, but I just wanted Teach to know in case SW follows up with her. So she said if she saw SW she would have a chat with her and let her know that everything is fine. I also was able to slip into the conversation how excited I am that this boutique clothing line that fits Girlface better than anything else is having a big sale next week and I'm planning on buying her a whole new wardrobe there. So that in case the SW expresses further concern Teach can give her a concrete plan of action that I am going to take to ensure that my daughter is attired more appropriately in the future.
Except that she's going to look like she's wearing the world's smallest maternity clothes, of course. Nothing but tunic tops as far as the eye can see.
So. Situation resolved. Thanks so much for all your support. It really helped, much more so than anything else that happened all day yesterday.
Also, Smells, yes, you can pass my info on to your friend. I am curious to see how custom clothes would fit her. I'll try to get some updated measurements while she's sleeping (she's too wiggly otherwise; I have had to take measurements for some knitted dresses and it's impossible while she's awake) and send them to you in a PM. You can tell her that I can do some basic sewing, so if she leaves a long turn-in and bastes the cuff, I can let them out later as she gets taller so she can get more wear out of them. That's what I've been doing with the off-the-rack ##### that I've been hemming for her. Her waist is staying close to the same size; at this point she's getting taller at an alarming rate, which has actually made her much easier to fit than she used to be.
Thanks, guys. Now we can for real put this behind us.