Went to the last day of a local conference about vacant land/property. A locally infamous developer was there and I could not really make heads or tails of the argument going on. Everyone was yelling and interrupting each other, and his response to everything was to say that these people were misinformed.
Yesterday was a movie about Detroit. It made me feel pretty unsympathetic to the people of Detroit, which made me feel like a monster.
Two key scenes:
1. auto workers union votes not to accept a pay cut, after being threatened with the closure of the factory. Then the factory closes and they lose their jobs.
2. People yell at the mayor for cutting services because the city is broke. "you should be expanding services, not cutting them!"
These events were held in a bad-part-of-town neighborhood that I was anticipating to be horrible. It actually looked almost as nice as my neighborhood. Mere blocks away from the kind of scary neighborhood where my internship was. We drove by and they were planting the vegetable garden that I made the plans for. Cool.