I mean, I always had pets when I lived at my parents. It still isn't the same though I'm sure. Also, regardless I have seen mad animal death and gotten used to it. I have euthanized an animal before (worked at vet, dog dying, owners spent massively keeping him alive.) today I was in the room as a vet euthanized a cat I had just met (1 year old, size of four month old cat, had a uri for 11 months, hadn't ever seen the vet, these people brought him to the shelter, I rushed him to the vet where she said nothing could be done, was literally twitching with every breath, I thought it died in my car, had temp of 98.6-101.5 normal for cats.) I have stabbed a needle into a cat's spleen who i really liked who died suddenly and unexpectedly (his previous owners brought him into the shelter at nearly l30 lbs so not completely unexpected) to check for some disease they thought he might have. We get a deal on cremation from the big municipal shelter, but they make me put them in the room with the incinerator so I have seen (and smelled!) a half burnt deer.
So yeah?, it's different for me.