Today I'm gonna spend over an hour editing wish lists for myself, my kids, and my spouse so that I can finally email them to my in-laws, who have been bugging me about Christmas lists for a week now. It's really hard to make wish lists when nobody needs anything. And also when the kids' other grandma (my mom) can't stop buying them cool stuff between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
There's fixin' to be a TOY PURGE up in here. We did one just before Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling there's going to be another between Christmas and the January/February birthday season. They just have SO MUCH STUFF, and of course people cannot be convinced not to buy them anything else. (I can't be too critical; I insist on buying stuff for my nieces and nephews too.)
Our gifts to them? They each get a new (refurbished) computer. We found a pair of $130 refurb Lenovo boxes with Pentium D chips that are sixteen times better than the ten+ year old machines they've been limping along with. (The old machines are running WinXP and we can't keep viruses off them.) We're going to install all their games & educational software, set up bookmarks, shortcuts, make sure all the software updates are in place, etc. on the sly. Then we're gonna do custom paint jobs (or possibly decals) on the cases to make them extra special. They're not top-of-the-line by any means, but they should be sufficient to get the kids through 'til middle school.
This is going to be the biggest Christmas morning either of them have ever experienced. The bonus for us is, you never hurt your feet stepping on little pieces of software.