Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341547 times)

0 Members and 220 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12510 on: January 22, 2013, 04:04:03 pm »

You know how certain places like Australia or the US are sometimes branded as anti-intellectualist (like if you speak a word longer than three syllables someone will deflate you with a well-timed "get out of here..." or "fuck off!")? Well, Brazil doesn't have that problem. See, this country loves appearances more than anything, so of course everybody and I mean EVERYBODY, across all social strata, absolutely ADORES the arts & literature, because they heard somewhere it is a good thing, even though they have no idea why, and even though it really isn't part of their daily lives in any capacity. It is a NICE THING to approve and show enthusiasm/approval/affection towards, but without the boring part of actually investing time into it.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12511 on: January 22, 2013, 05:46:47 pm »

You know how certain places like Australia or the US are sometimes branded as anti-intellectualist (like if you speak a word longer than three syllables someone will deflate you with a well-timed "get out of here..." or "fuck off!")?

You mean like how Inev just did to you?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12512 on: January 22, 2013, 06:28:15 pm »

I never said I agree with that perception of a purported anti-intellectualism in the US, if that's what you mean. Frankly, all I do here is take potshots at my own country, I thought that was harmless enough  ;D. But now you got me confus.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12513 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:45 pm »

Start at giraffeerman's Wharf and tour the dockside shops from East to West. When you hit the West end cable car, take a ride down to Chinatown. Your choice if you stop and give one of the hucksters $5 to hand you a free map and give you a five minute orientation, if you find one with enough teeth to understand his speech it's usually worthwhile. Check out the herbal shops in Chi-town, buy yourself a half ounce of ground up animal junk and head down to the Castro and hit up the Anchor Oyster Bar. Order the Anchor Special and mix the animal powder up with your chowder. Head on down to the Tenderloin and look up the Gangway.

Let the potion work its magic, big guy.

When the fun is done head out to the Sunset and take a late night walk on the beach. Don't get mugged. Walk out at Ortega and head to 48th and get a coffee from the corner shop.

*If you want to replace the Gangway with the Brown Jug and skip the casual buggery part of this itinerary you may. But it's your loss.

Every part of these instructions scares me.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12514 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:51 pm »

If you like oysters, Hog Island Oyster Bar at the Ferry Building is really good. If you don't like oysters, they have good chowder.

I've never given much thought to oysters or chowder. The thought of drinking beer on a boat never occurred to me. And Ash's advice was terrifying. I'm starting to think I'm the world's least interesting man. I'm going to have to grow a bit and develop some TASTE IN THINGS before this trip.

Thanks, guys.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12515 on: January 23, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »

well, looks like I have a date this weekend. Certain things about this experience are making me think I've been pursuing the wrong kind of girl this whole time (ie, my lifetime). I feel like I am in a NYT trend piece. The well-educated and socially conscious ladies of STL are desperate for a nerd to kiss and hug. The other option is that i am more attractive physically and personality-wise than I imagined, which makes me Roast-Beef out.

Because of an experience I had in middle school, I am imagining that this gorgeous, ambitious, intelligent woman is setting me up for some sort of prank where she and her friends all laugh at me for thinking she wanted to date. I guess if that happens to you once you are kind of always going to wonder.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12516 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:54 pm »

Dude.  Dude.



Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12517 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:52 pm »

Yeah, I really feel like my mind is blown right now. All of these go-getter grad school ladies want to date the barista who forgets to shave for weeks at a time. I guess that makes sense on a certain level.

I also realized, now, that the other lady I've been talking to has been to my house for parties several times. I don't know how I didn't recognize her before my roommates did. Weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12518 on: January 23, 2013, 06:34:08 pm »

Everything except the animal junk powder and the Gangway was for serious, not get you dead, see the city fun. For the more adventurous, the Gangway might be fun as well.

Also: go check out Seal Rocks and eat at Cliff House if you have just short time. A little more time and you can pop from there to Sutro Baths.

Or: go to Cafe Golo for a breakfast and then head up Franklin and tool about Fort Mason.

Listen, the City is full of cool shit, too much to do in a week for a pissed off man with a goal. I'm giving you some spot targets to think about, is all.

I am much reassured. Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate them.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12519 on: January 23, 2013, 08:46:53 pm »

See, I would get it if I were a dorky guy who is really going places, or had written a classic American play.

I dunno, I guess my most successful relationship was with an anxious, overachieving-type lady. So I shouldn't be surprised.

This girl wondered aloud whether I think she is really "bougie," so clearly she thinks I am cool for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:58:41 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12520 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:47 pm »

Making her pay sounds like a good idea. I like the way you think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12521 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:36 pm »

Making her pay sounds like a good idea. I like the way you think.

From geeky nerd to gigolo in the blink of an eye.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12522 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:16 pm »

TIG notice that the feeling of invincibility I got after doing this is wearing off...

I'ma lead more ice this weekend. Shit's adrenal.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12523 on: January 24, 2013, 03:56:10 am »

Presumably your dealer let you have the first hit for free.  Ice climbing looks like an equipment-intensive pastime.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12524 on: January 24, 2013, 07:17:28 am »

I've never given much thought to oysters or chowder. The thought of drinking beer on a boat never occurred to me. And Ash's advice was terrifying. I'm starting to think I'm the world's least interesting man. I'm going to have to grow a bit and develop some TASTE IN THINGS before this trip.

Thanks, guys.

The thought of drinking beer on a boat had never really occurred to me, either (well, maybe a giraffeing boat). But there I was. And there it was. And there we were. It just... sorta happened. It was a beautiful thing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 878   Go Up