Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341974 times)

0 Members and 180 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12615 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:39 pm »

That seems like a really important point - the pills are just making you a more functional version of you, not someone else entirely. That is the same as medication for the problems we see as physical and therefore don't stigmatize in the same way.

Exactly this.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12616 on: February 19, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »

Considering I got sick to the point of nearly dying before getting on thyroid medication, I have no problem taking it - it is the pill that keeps me alive (and right now the baby needs it too until s/he can produce her own hormones), however my life is a complicated cocktail of medicines and dietary adjustments and blood testing at this point, and it is damn impossible to not screw up on some or multiple levels.  I could seriously just take medicine and test my blood all day and do nothing else and still feel exhausted.  I know this is TL:DR, but I need to put it down here, because I feel like I’m burned out just on keeping Tokyo baby alive most days, so putting it down makes the struggle real in some way.

1) I wake up, and take my thyroid pill on an empty stomach like JL says.  Then I test my fasting blood sugar by pricking my finger.  If I'm too tired, I prick the wrong spot and don't bleed enough, so I have to re-prick.  I have to write the numbers down and compare them to the goal numbers (usually its too high and I have to make a mental note to call the endocrinologist to have her advise me on how to adjust).  For the thyroid pill it's hard to remember to not eat or drink for 30 minutes, and sometimes I full on forget and end up doing something totally counter productive like drinking or eating something high in calcium, which counters proper absorption.

2) I then have to make a breakfast.  I'm not hungry and I mostly don't want to eat, but I have no choice.  Plus it's got to be a combination of a protein and a slow-digesting carbohydrate, then while or before I eat it, I've got to inject my first insulin of the day.  This injection like all the others that follow, goes straight into my belly.  I’ve got to pick a spot where I’ve not previously injected and where there isn’t a stretch mark.  I can never remember how much I’m supposed to inject, since they keep adjusting my numbers and I inject different amounts at different times of day, so I've got to look that up.  Then I've got to remember to take breakfast, insulin and glucose metre, and blood pressure meds with me and head out to work.  

3) After I finish eating (usually I'm at my desk at work by then) I've got to take a blood pressure pill and also remember to set my alarm to remind me to test my blood in 2 hours.

4) After two hours, I’ve got to test my blood glucose again.  If I’m with it, I’ve set the alarm for AM not PM.  If I’m not with it, I may have set the thing wrong and maybe I’ll forget to test.  Mostly I don’t forget, so I test and then I record the numbers in my book and compare to the goal numbers.

5) Lunch time – must eat a balance of protein, whole grains, vegetables and fat, along with some milk.  It can’t be processed lunch meat, so usually it’s salmon salad, egg salad or something like that on whole grain with as many veggies as I’ve got around.  I’ve got to remember to inject more insulin at this point, but I’m usually on the run, and this is the injection I’m most likely to forget.  Then I also have to remember to set my alarm to ring in two more hours to test my blood again.  This is also something I’m likely to forget.

6) Mid afternoon, time to test my blood glucose again, and compare it to the goal range and record it in my book.  If I’ve stuck to my boring as-described lunch combo above all is well.  If I’ve had a lunch meeting or otherwise tried to vary the meal even slightly it is a total roulette, with what seems like the most likely to be healthy options causing spikes and things you’d think weren’t so good leading to healthy readings.  I basically don’t have much time to ponder this so I jot down a note about what I ate if the numbers are particularly bad.  As of yet there is no pattern emerging.

7) Dinner time – gotta remember to take my prenatal vitamin, supplemental folic acid, inject more insulin, and also make a magic combination meal that doesn’t cause a blood sugar spike.  What works:  roasted chicken/giraffe, either a whole grain or potato as a carb and ½ the plate filled with a non starchy veg.   Again, got to remember to set the alarm to remind myself to test in two more hours.  This time, it’s trickier, because if I eat late, then I have to stay up late to test.  Sigh.

8 ) The alarm rings, time to test my glucose, write it all down, compare it to the goals and look at my numbers for the day and decide if I need to consult with the endocrinologist tomorrow.  Then I’ve got to take another blood pressure pill and inject with a different kind of insulin – a slow release one.  Usually I’ve forgotten one of the many devices required to deal with this down stairs, so I’ve got to go down to the kitchen, dig around and find what I forgot.

In-between all of this I have to remember any medical appointments I have (and some have their own prep requirements) and, oh, yeah, deal with the complex task of managing a team of 20 mentors.  And somewhere in there I’m supposed to be getting the house ready for baby.  


« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:41:02 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12617 on: February 20, 2013, 01:49:12 am »

I'm surfing up from moderate depression riding a board of Wellbutrin and Prozac.  I used Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to overcome 20 years worth of panic disorder which had eventually stopped responding to Zoloft.  That was not a party.  CBT has helped me cope with the depression while we dialed the meds in, and there is a lot of mindfulness, exercise, and guided imagery stuff that is now part of my weekly, if not daily practice.  I really don't think there are many people who "get better" on meds alone.  I have an advantage in that I'm educated to the gills on biology, anatomy, physiology etc, plus I have been at the high end of physical fitness all of my adult life.  Education on the specifics of depression treatment was more a matter of the doctor flagging what I already knew as being useful.

The thing is, I have a solid family life; my parents are alive and happy (if divorced and remarried), I have had a rewarding job in my major field of study for the past 18 years (the most recent 16 years at my present company) and enough vacation time; I have 2 healthy kids, a wife of 15 years who I love and who still seems to like me, no survival stresses like floods, fire, or riots, a community I'm thoroughly hooked into through coaching, Church, and familiarity - and still I was depressed?!  That pretty much covers everything except a genetic predisposition (neither of my parents admit to any depression) that maybe came through my alcoholic maternal grandfather.  He might have been self-medicating depression with booze. 

For me, at least, the pills are the answer.  Hopefully the state of the art will continue to progress so that when I inevitably stop responding to the current cocktail, something else will be there to pick up the slack.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12618 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49:06 am »

From a lady who wanted to give birth by mid-wife in a birth centre with minimal medical intervention, what I've learned is that survival is more important than anything else.  More important than grandiose ideals, concepts of strength and personal desires even.  If survival doesn't happen, the rest is moot.  So pill up if it gets you through.  Getting through, after all, is the point.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12619 on: February 20, 2013, 03:39:54 am »

I'm completely unmedicated and out of my fuck*ng mind.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12620 on: February 20, 2013, 03:51:45 am »

I'm not posting my medical history on a public message board.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12621 on: February 20, 2013, 03:54:16 am »

S_S, I am very happy medical technology is going to make you and your baby super healthy. Maybe western civilization was all worth it after all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12622 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:44 am »

I like drugs. I believe that psychoactive drugs have improved and even saved many lives. But here is my advice: stay away from benzodiazepines if at all possible.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12623 on: February 20, 2013, 04:49:31 am »

[stuff]

Yeah, I had a bunch of things with my first pregnancy -- I was actually on thyroid meds then, but for some bizarre reason I didn't get more refills after and didn't realize that it wasn't the kind of thing that wasn't going to go away like the gestational diabetes did. I was fortunately able to control my diabetes with diet and didn't have to do insulin injections, but I still had to prick and record four times a day. On top of that and all the usual pregnancy no-no foods, I also had to avoid anything with even small amounts of fat because a gall stone combined with the organ displacement of pregnancy meant that my gall bladder was acting up and my OB was afraid it would rupture. (I had it removed between pregnancies.) And, to top it all off, during the last month, I broke out in an incurable, untreatable itchy rash (known as PUPPP) all over my body, which was bad enough to keep me from getting a decent nights sleep.

And yet...three years later I was still thrilled to do it all over again.

In other words...hang in there. It's worth it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12624 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:04 am »

I'm completely unmedicated and out of my fuck*ng mind.

I'm going to assume you're completely okay with that, because I am.

Okay with you being you that is; I don't think I could get out of my mind if I opened it up with a circular saw.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12625 on: February 20, 2013, 03:29:14 pm »

I'm not posting my medical history on a public message board.
This. Exactly this.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12626 on: February 20, 2013, 04:02:53 pm »

Is this a symptom of being American?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12627 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:16 am »

I am a pretty sane dude. Here is a picture of me about to climb a sheet of ice.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12628 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:18 am »

Until now, whenever I thought of Doom Globe, I'd picture Ferocious J. I have no idea why.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12629 on: February 21, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »

How was the ice climbing? Did the helmet come in handy (hopefully not)?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 878   Go Up