Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343675 times)

0 Members and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12840 on: April 16, 2013, 06:28:26 pm »

My office is in copley square. I was working from home yesterday. Constant texts from people wondering if I was one of the two people who died. Really? I guess its nice to care about people and stuff, but that seems kind of crazy. Also fuck bombs.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12841 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

The University of Texas shooting way back in 1966 proves that Texas is still the home of innovation.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12842 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:19 pm »

My office is in copley square. I was working from home yesterday. Constant texts from people wondering if I was one of the two people who died. Really? I guess its nice to care about people and stuff, but that seems kind of crazy. 

This thing people do of getting overly worried about people they know who are only vaguely likely to be affected by an event like this - it is almost offensive. It's weirdly self-centered. Like they are trying to find a way to make it all about themselves.

Still, your office is in Copley Square - that is definitely not like my friends in Lexington who were watching the race in, like, Natick or somewhere and still had to be reassuring their friends on Facebook. I think if I were one of your real life friends who knew where you work, I would have at least looked for an excuse to send you an email.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12843 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »

The University of Texas shooting way back in 1966 proves that Texas is still the home of innovation.

There was a bombing in Wall St. in NYC in 1920, so step aside, n00b.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12844 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:01 pm »

There was a bombing in Wall St. in NYC in 1920, so step aside, n00b.

Apples to oranges, my dear.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12845 on: April 16, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

Tonight The Presidents of the United State of America are playing their first album at the 9:30 Club. I've never seen them live before. Plus Frontalot saw them last night and said the 2nd opener is good.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12846 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:08 pm »

This one was always my favorite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire
It was arson, sure, but it didn't help that they decided to waterproof the circus tent with wax and gasoline.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12847 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:49 am »

I never thought to have a favorite disaster... Hmmm. I think Pompeii would have to be it. Or maybe the last time Yellowstone erupted. I definitely prefer disasters of the volcanic variety. They've got all the disastrous disasteriness of regular disasters, but with no human culprit, I don't have to try to distance myself from humanity in the same way, as I am nothing like a volcano. I'd like to be more like a volcano, of course... We all would. Really it'd be nice to be anything that doesn't set off bombs in attempts to destroy its own kind.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12848 on: April 17, 2013, 04:31:14 am »

Today I spent the day making a spreadsheet of various master's programs and their stats. I also realized that my idea that I could get in-state tuition at UNC is false. I do not live in North Carolina. Where your parents live does not matter to the government when you are 25.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12849 on: April 17, 2013, 04:39:28 am »

What state do you live in?
Logged
[expletive deleted]

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12850 on: April 17, 2013, 05:07:13 am »

Missouri. None of our state universities are listed in my little book of accredited Urban Planning programs. UMKC seems to have an undergrad program, but no graduate.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12851 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

This one was always my favorite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire
It was arson, sure, but it didn't help that they decided to waterproof the circus tent with wax and gasoline.

No, no, this does not count, they are not at all sure it was arson. If we are going to talk favorite historical disasters, we have to separate fires and Pompeii from deliberate attacks. That is really apples and oranges.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12852 on: April 17, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »

Today I spent the day making a spreadsheet of various master's programs and their stats. I also realized that my idea that I could get in-state tuition at UNC is false. I do not live in North Carolina. Where your parents live does not matter to the government when you are 25.

That's true, but you only have to live here a year to establish residency. If you could stand moving back in with your parents for a year (or even a few months while you save some cash and get established), you could save a crapton of money.

I'm pointing this out because I am concerned for your financial future, and not because I think you should live near me, obviously.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12853 on: April 17, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »

Inev, I don't know about that field, and maybe masters programs are different from PhD. But in the sciences (and in linguistics), top ranked departments don't expect grad students to pay tuition. The good students are given financial support, and if one can't get into a program that will do that, it's generally a good indication that one should consider another career choice.  Do people normally actually pay tuition to get the degree you are interested in?



Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12854 on: April 17, 2013, 02:54:38 pm »

Today I spent the day making a spreadsheet of various master's programs and their stats. I also realized that my idea that I could get in-state tuition at UNC is false. I do not live in North Carolina. Where your parents live does not matter to the government when you are 25.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would like a copy of that to give my daughter.  She's a geography major considering grad school and might be interested in going that route.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 878   Go Up