Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343956 times)

0 Members and 182 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12855 on: April 17, 2013, 05:24:07 pm »

I think for masters' programs it is different, or at least ones where the degree is pretty professionalized. I will look into this. It seems like some of the schools give out a lot of aid/scholarships, and others expect everyone to pay.

Aug, I can send you this. It's actually a Pdf.

JL, my parents suggested that I move in with them soon to establish residency, but that assumes I would get into the program, and that it is actually the program I want to attend, and that living with my parents for a year and a half with nothing to do wouldn't make me want to die. Although clearly if the first two things weren't an issue, it would probably be worth a year of being bored and working some dumb job in Charlotte to save $20k.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:36:06 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12856 on: April 17, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

It seems like some of the schools give out a lot of aid/scholarships, and others expect everyone to pay.

This is the thing to be careful of -  that difference could mean that the schools that give a lot of aid are the ones where the degree is actually worth something. With the result being that the people who are in debt because they had to pay, also don't have the prestige degree that will get them a job. 

At the PhD level, though, that could also be a difference between a more theoretical, academic program - which would give a lot of aid - and one that's more practical. In a more theoretical program where the only job you could get would be as an academic, since they don't expect you'll ever actually get a job, there's no way they can ask you to pay. I know, cynical much? But there is a big problem with academic disciplines turning out more grad students than there are jobs for. I don't know if that's something to consider at the masters level. But definitely, you need to figure out what's going on with the difference, because it has to mean something.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12857 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:02 pm »

Another point: it's great you've got a spreadsheet. It's a great starting point. But now you need a human being in the field - preferably several - to get advice from.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12858 on: April 18, 2013, 03:57:52 am »

Indeed, how the heck would ANY of us know anything?
Logged
[expletive deleted]

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12859 on: April 18, 2013, 12:32:06 pm »

We've got the Internet. We don't need to know anything.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12860 on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:09 pm »

When learning how to perform ordinary least squares regression, the professor spent 2 hours running us through the proof and requiring us to make the calculation long hand on a set of a few dozen observations under the guise it was an in-class quiz. Then to show us the correct solution he pressed Tools->data analysis -> regressions.
What I'm saying here is that the only person in that class room who remembers how to do those calculations long hand is the guy with the ph.d in economics who uses that knowledge only as a torture device for undergrads. Because why the heck would any one know how to do anything when we've got computers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12861 on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:23 pm »

Sometimes knowing too much makes life so boring. On the front of the local section of the paper today it said there was an article about someone nearby who keeps homing pigeons. I was all excited, till I turned to the article and saw that it was the same guy I wrote about for the AP a few years ago. Sigh.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12862 on: April 18, 2013, 03:13:29 pm »

The other thing about knowledge is, when you google something, you get the answer to one question. But when you learn something, or how to fix something, or how to make something, or just the theory behind something complex, you get more questions. And having more questions is unequivocally a good thing.

Stored knowledge also helps you see connections between things where the links are not immediately obvious, like changing the oil in your car and developing an irrigation system for your garden. Or how much easier it is to understand the effects of various poisons in the body when you've studied the periodic table of the elements. And seeing connections between seemingly unrelated ideas is how Progress is made.

You've got to throw all the knowledge in the ol' rock tumbler together and crank it for a while if you expect to get anything shiny out, is my take.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12863 on: April 18, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »

You've got to throw all the knowledge in the ol' rock tumbler together and crank it for a while if you expect to get anything shiny out, is my take.

SOMEone has been hanging out with asherdan too long.....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12864 on: April 18, 2013, 03:37:47 pm »

SOMEone has been hanging out with asherdan too long.....

You know, I actually had a line about contracting a bad case of Folksy Speakin's from Ash but I deleted it. I guess Wombles is getting lazy about keeping our narrative voices separate. I hear that can happen when you're juggling a lot of characters at once.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12865 on: April 18, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »

The other thing about knowledge is, when you google something, you get the answer to one question.

You must use Google very differently from me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12866 on: April 18, 2013, 05:52:18 pm »

I am not a stupid person, but every time I try to figure out anything about my insurance plan I start feeling like one. When I do a search for dentists who accept my insurance I only get people in Illinois. When I specify that they should be within 10 miles of my zip code, it says there are no results.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12867 on: April 18, 2013, 05:53:22 pm »

insurance companies can DIAF
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12868 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:48 pm »

oh, wow: no matter what specialty I pick (I want General Dentistry) it decides that what I wanted was Prosthodontics. Thanks!

I just want to know if my old dentist is covered. Bahh.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:14:51 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12869 on: April 18, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »

Call him.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 878   Go Up