Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1342506 times)

0 Members and 186 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12960 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:34 am »

I had a black cat. His name was Shithead.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12961 on: May 08, 2013, 02:45:56 am »

My grandma had a black cat but it had a name that isn't appropriate for civil conversation.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12962 on: May 08, 2013, 05:29:28 am »

TIG go meet with the toe cutter. I'ma call him that to his face, if he goes with it I'll trust him with a knife around my appendages.
Did he ride a motorcycle?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12963 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:56 am »

My grandma had a black cat but it had a name that isn't appropriate for civil conversation.

Was Lovecraft your grandmother? http://hexentexte.tumblr.com/post/8549872713/howard-phillips-lovecraft-and-his-cat-nigger-man
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12964 on: May 08, 2013, 01:04:15 pm »

Was Lovecraft your grandmother? http://hexentexte.tumblr.com/post/8549872713/howard-phillips-lovecraft-and-his-cat-nigger-man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_%28racial_term%29


Say the word K**** in South Africa and see how far you get.

In High School we had a teammate we called K**** as a joke (he was white, we thought it was such a strange word with such strange power) and when his South African Parents heard it they basically had a heart attack.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:13:44 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12965 on: May 08, 2013, 01:12:36 pm »

Education. Curiously enough (since there were a lot of Portuguese explorers in Africa), we have that word as "Cafre" in Portuguese - but it has no derogatory connotation here. Actually, nowadays it is virtually unheard of.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12966 on: May 09, 2013, 11:39:48 am »

The Barclay's manhattan office is disorienting. When they vultured Lehman they chose to auction off the awe inspiring art collection. The Lehman curator was known across the country for developing a collection that ex.... What I'm saying here is that the chairs are some kind of non-functional art deco. Do I sit here? If my coffee drips did I ruin someone's idea of art? If I wanted to throw someone off, this is how I would do it. I get it, Barclays, but your taste in art still sucks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:50:00 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12967 on: May 09, 2013, 03:32:21 pm »

Some blowjob waited at the gate for me and started with the "Y'know, you should calm it down at work and not make a scene like that..."

Yeah, that didn't go over real well. Until I badge in, I own myself. If I ain't committing a crime your tender sensibilities can suck it.
You handled that so much better than I would have, but you blew a total lay up opportunity.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12968 on: May 09, 2013, 08:27:16 pm »

I am pretty sure that I have figured out that Hank Hill is my role model. This process also established that the weird impulse I have that makes me not like a lot of things is a desire for people to be "humble." Have some dignity, people.

On the other hand, I also recently learned about Neitzsche's idea of Slave Morality and that makes me feel a little weird. It is definitely a counter-productive impulse sometimes, in that I occasionally feel that I would prefer people to do mediocre shit and shut up about it than great shit and brag about how important they are.

The link in there, somewhere, is that being humble does not make you do mediocre things. It means understanding your limitations, and doing a good job despite them. In the kind of fields I enjoy learning about and hope to pursue, being humble is the essential starting point. I think approaching the world assuming you know nothing is a pretty good strategy. Pride comes before the fall. And yes, I realize this is coming from a dude who feels the need to tell internet people about the new socks he bought. Nobody's perfect. It is just interesting to realize this is a value I didn't completely realize I had.

Tell me to stop if I buy a riding lawnmower, though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:31:22 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12969 on: May 09, 2013, 10:02:44 pm »

I basically spend my life petrified I'm on the bad end of the Dunning-Kruger effect. So I think you're right.

Edit: as in I think worrying about whether you're shitty at something is often an important self check to ensure you don't become shitty at something.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:33:06 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12970 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:43 pm »

Once I got past the clunky "miscalibration" word, that was a pretty insightful observation.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12971 on: May 10, 2013, 07:33:46 pm »

There are definitely people who are good at things and know it.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12972 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »

Tonight's the campout! I am excited and nervous. I keep checking my packing list to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. It seems like I should be taking more, and then I remember that I have to carry it all on my back and I think, "Nah."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12973 on: May 10, 2013, 08:14:38 pm »

There are definitely people who are good at things and know it.
Thinking you're good at something is the first sign that you're too incompetent to realize how bad you are at something. If you're paranoid and hypersensitive to your own minor flaws, then you're really at the top of your game. That's what I'm understanding here. Time to recalibrate by spending time around people who are either clearly terrible at what they do or clearly outstanding.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12974 on: May 10, 2013, 08:58:43 pm »

Camping is going to be so rad! Remember that your extra layers double as pillows, and when the ground is super hard, something under your knees will help you sleep. If you have a vaccuum sealed thermos and morning is less than 12 hours away, you can probably make some coffee before you leave and have effortless hot coffee in the morning. My camping pack is pretty minimal at this point, my checklist goes like so:

-  sleepingbag&pad
-  tent/buddy with tent/bivybag
-  raingear&spare socks
-  toothbrush, toothpaste, wagbag&TP, sunblock
-  hipflask x2 (filled with scotch), mountainhouse&jetboil if unsure of food situation, clifbars
-  2 nalgenes (assuming daily refill opportunities) and 1 thermos (for coffee)
-  wooden silverwear (easy to clean, wont freeze lips at low temps), mug, corkscrew/bottle opener

That all fits in an old schoolbag.


Edit: I don't use a bunch of those things on a regular basis. I've needed spare socks all of once on a weekend trip.  Since you have kids with you, you'll need s'mores. Your kids will get wasted on s'mores. it will be all over everything. gross.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:08:01 pm by doomglobe »
Logged
[expletive deleted]
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 878   Go Up