Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.  (Read 8052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 10:35:32 pm »

You know what I love, a municipality that only accepts checks.  And you have to fax them the forms.

I really love that shit a whole bunch.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 12:10:46 am »

You know what I love, a municipality that only accepts checks.  And you have to fax them the forms.
That topic ties in neatly with a thread involving Pat.  I suspect he would also require cursive, in one of the approved styles.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 01:43:37 am »

I write in hybrid, but 90% in capital letters. This helps when writing in German because they have odd capitalization rules.

What?  Capitalize the first letter of sentences and all nouns... no problem.
Verrückte Scheiße!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 01:53:35 am »

What?  Capitalize the first letter of sentences and all nouns... no problem.
Verrückte Scheiße!
But not I

and every german teacher uses this to point out how english is so selgiraffe
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 02:10:45 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 02:33:50 am »

Fact: If you want to learn Russian, you must learn to write in cursive. They do not print anything by hand.

That is totally true. Especially where I lived in Alaska, because none of the boat captains would type anything, they just wrote stuff by hand in Cyrillic cursive so all the Russian language students had to learn Russian cursive as well.

I have always had excellent penmanship and I love writing, calligraphy, and cursive. I have a degree in architecture and during our Lettering classes I just kicked the shit out of everyone else with my speed and precision. Then again, Kelli and I taught ourselves to read at the age of four and our dad was a land surveyor and golf course architect, so he also was extremely anal-retentive about his penmanship. I always aced cursive/handwriting class as a wee tot as well.

However, unless I'm in a really baroque mood I will always print when I write. It is faster for me to print than to write in cursive.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 02:54:40 am »

I write in hybrid, but 90% in capital letters. This helps when writing in German because they have odd capitalization rules.

Yeah, I got in trouble from my German teacher for doing this.  (well, a note on a quiz).

Sometimes I write in hell of messy cursive, usually print though, which is actually pretty good.  In second grade my teacher tried to make me stay in for recess because of my handwriting but my mom yelled at her hard since I basically made 100s on everything (or else my parents yelled at me.  Speaking of this, my parents were great at adapting to the "me being a fuck up" stage, when I go home they some times yell at my sister, who is a high school senior, for getting like 92s on her report cards.)

Also, one of my best friends is from Latvia and I have some other friends taking Russian, basically, they only right in cursive.  My roommate was taking Russian 1113 at the same time I was taking German 1113 and half of his semester was learning how to write. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 03:39:45 am »

Arabic is always in cursive.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 04:24:12 am »

No one has ever refused a check because I print instead of using cursive. I never heard of that rule.



I promise you that it's not in Article 3, 4 or 8 of the UCC.

see KRS 355.3-401(2)

Also, a rule that all checks must be in cursive would outlaw typed or printed checks. 

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 06:49:02 am »


I'm also told that I have very legible handwriting and printing for a left-handed person but that it is really not that much of a compliment, that most right-handed people consider left-handed peoples' handwriting completely unreadable and since I write ugly but essentially decipherable, I am near the top of my ilk.


I wish I had your penmanship! Nobody can even begin to understand the boggling complexity of my leftie handwriting. My print looks like cursive and my cursive looks like smeary bird poop.

The worst form of all cursive is cursive Chinese.


edit: Woops, bad link.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:05:47 am by chuanoplast »
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 09:52:55 am »

Huh, while my writing is damn-near illegible if I'm writing by hand it's almost always cursive unless I'm wanting to be really sure that someone else will be able to read it. I think it's mainly a speed thing, if I'm taking notes or similar cursive is faster than printing.


The worst form of all cursive is cursive Chinese.


AHHHHHHH! Though your link needs fixing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2007, 02:12:46 pm »

No one has ever refused a check because I print instead of using cursive. I never heard of that rule.

My mom has mental health problems and I was raised under a structure of a lot of irrational "rules" that I regularly find to be ones she made up.  I still stumble across these things I thought were requirements of living but were actually made up by her all the time.  This is probably one of them. 

In Canada cursive is also taught in grade three.

I quick survey of my coworker's desks shows that those 30 and under all print when note taking, while coworkers 40 and up all use cursive.   
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 03:20:03 pm »

Checks and cursive are both fast becoming obsolete. hmmm....

But chicks and cursing will ALWAYS be de la mode.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:58 pm »

I use a hybrid form of writing in which most of my letters are print-style but they are joined.  Also, for lowercase "r"s I use half-size capitals. 

I learned the rudiments of calligraphy when I was in the fourth grade, and that ruined my handwriting forever.  I do like that my writing is generally legible (if small) and does not remind me of CUNT-flavored bubblegum.  (For some reason all the popular girls in middle school had what I call "bubblegum" handwriting, that super-even, perfectly spaced handwriting that looks exactly like it should have all the i's dotted with tiny hearts.)  I feel like my handwriting is pretty gender-neutral.  Also, it is relatively unlike Comic Sans. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 06:08:25 pm »

I use a hybrid form of writing in which most of my letters are print-style but they are joined.   

Me too, but I always thought of it as 'half-assed'. I will adopt 'hybrid' instead.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 06:52:46 pm »

Yes, there is basically nothing better than an attractive lady who can really really swear.

Oh man.

And I'm not saying in a sex-talk way at all. I'm not particularly into the dirty talk.

But a lady who can outcurse you? You just have to respect the hell out of that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up