Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.  (Read 8066 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

In my bank there are tables with stacks of blank deposit tickets.  I'm pretty sure they don't mind if you take a handful with you.  They've never said anything to me...

Of course, you've got to fill in your account number and all, but it still works fine.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2007, 08:39:55 pm »

In my bank there are tables with stacks of blank deposit tickets.  I'm pretty sure they don't mind if you take a handful with you.  They've never said anything to me...

Of course, you've got to fill in your account number and all, but it still works fine.

The bank will print up some extra books, especially for you, with your pre-printed account number on them. All you have to do is ask if they can give you some extra preprinted deposit slips.
It is way easier for their proof department if you use preprinted deposit slips, so I think that's why they just hand 'em out.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2007, 09:56:49 pm »

also: I want to wear a suit every day. That is so classy, man. Wearing a suit, damn.

When I first started my current job, I wore a tie every day. People would tell me to loosen up a bit, but I didn't for a while. Then I stopped wearing ties when I was in office, but wore them when I was teaching a class. Now I only wear a tie if I know someone important will be coming to the office.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2007, 11:18:18 pm »

I want to wear a suit everyday in an old black and white movie, is what I am saying.

Also a hat when not indoors.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:23 pm »

necessarily.

The love of suits is also just that... loosening the tie and rolling up the sleeves of a nice shirt is somehow even more bad-assly casual than just wearing a t-shirt, you know?

I mean, that is what I will be doing while my wife vacuums in pearls and high heels and my kids experiment with drugs and rock music, which I disapprove of and don't understand.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2007, 02:15:35 am »

In my bank there are tables with stacks of blank deposit tickets.  I'm pretty sure they don't mind if you take a handful with you.  They've never said anything to me...

Of course, you've got to fill in your account number and all, but it still works fine.

My bank stopped that for a while. They made you ask at the counter for blank deposit slips and would only give you one or two. I don't know why. Recently they started putting them out on the tables again.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2007, 02:47:22 am »

Perhaps people were taking them so as to make paper mache bankers and fill them with candy.

That they might be smashed to ribbons by blindfolded children in effigy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2007, 07:05:20 am »

Also a hat when not indoors.
Almost always - although this is unusual enough in our society today that my work acquaintances (those who distantly know me) refer to me as "the hat guy".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2007, 09:54:34 am »

I push the button that says call teller on it.  I say "I need a deposit slip and a pen please."  Where it says account number I put my social security number on and a note that says "ckg. acct. plz look up nbr."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2007, 10:13:14 am »

I push the button that says call teller on it.  I say "I need a deposit slip and a pen please."  Where it says account number I put my social security number on and a note that says "ckg. acct. plz look up nbr."
"Ckg AKUNT LOLZ look up #, BRB N00B"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2007, 03:04:06 pm »

My bank (credit union) doesn't use deposit slips.  We just write our account number on the back of the check, right under the endorsement. 

It's weird, and I was a little thrown when I first switched over, but it's certainly more convenient than having to fill out a form every time I want to give myself money.  Also, I have my account number memorized now.  That seems like a useful thing to know in a pinch. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2007, 03:25:39 pm »

We just slide our check into the slot on the ATM - no deposit slip, not even a friggin' ENVELOPE, which kinda weirded me out at first. We don't even have to tell the ATM what amount the check is for - it scans it and reads it and all we have to do is verify the amount.

Of course, now we're set up for online bill pay and direct deposit, and theoretically could go months without ever going to a bank or writing a check.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2007, 04:06:33 pm »

Of course, now we're set up for online bill pay and direct deposit, and theoretically could go months without ever going to a bank or writing a check.

Us too, except we have to pay for preschool by check.  But I can handle writing one check a month -- the rest of the bills take me about an hour once a month.  That includes recording the current balances on each of our credit cards, car payment, and numerous student loans and entering them in a spreadsheet that tracks our monthly debt and graphs it over time.  That part, actually, takes longer than the actual bill pay (which takes about 10 minutes). 

We also opted out of paper statements everywhere we can, so I get 75% of my bills exclusively online.  Save a tree, and that way if the statement doesn't come before I'm  ready to pay the bills I don't end up being surprised by the amount. 

I got my Mom into online bill pay, too.  She was reluctant to change the system she'd been using for 25 years, but now she loves it.  She still gets paper statements from most people but also has online access to all her accounts because they travel a lot in the summer. 

Online banking is awesome, is the point here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2007, 04:24:53 pm »

I have recently tried to sign up for on-line payment with the company that provides our internet, phone and cable. 

I went to their site.  "Please input your 6 or 11 digit account number"  Looks at 8 digit account number.  Clearly labelled "account number" on the statement.  Hmmm.  Inputs 8 digit account number.  "Sorry that number is incorrect.  Account numbers are either 6 or 11 digits long."  Hmm.  Looks at statement again, checks second page where again "account number" is listed and is indeed 8 digits long.  Checks date on statement - indeed this is this month's statement.  Clicks on "help" section, looks under "where to find your account number."  The instructions indicate to look in the top right hand area.  Which is where the same 8 digit number, labelled "account number" is.  Reenters account number, dropping off the first two digits to make it 6... "that account number does not exist.  Sorry you're having trouble.  Please enter your 6 or 11 digit account number. Or call 1-866...."  Sighs.  Dials number.  The automated system announces a 20-25 minute wait and suggest going on-line.  "All you need is your account number!"  Sighs.  Hangs up.  Writes check.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »

Isn't it kind of unnerving when your internet company can't seem to design a website that is actually functional?  Ours is like that too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up