Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Wishes  (Read 6266 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »

Thanks. I am thankful that it is a lot easier to carry a seizuring pug to the car, by the way, than it would be with a Doberman.

I am sorry to have derailed the thread.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 02:22:25 am »

My best wishes to Miss Rose.  Seizures suck.

Skipper, our male boxer, started having seizures suddenly.  We took him in and the vet told us seizures are very common in boxers.  They put him on phenobarb which controlled the siezures, but pretty much zombified Skipper.  He slept all the time except when we woke him up to eat or stagger outside for a pee.  The seizures came back after about a month and the phenobarb wouldn't control them.  He died on my birthday. (/weeps)

So this isn't a complete downer, the vet said that seizures are very common and can usually be completely controlled with phenobarb.  The dogs get used to it and develop a tolerance for the sedative effects and get over the zombification.  Skipper was eight, which is approaching old age for a boxer.  Based on my research from the time, seizures can also be isolated events and not recur.

Good luck Rose.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 04:03:38 pm »

Our folks had a dog with seizure issues - Tiny - and she too was put on meds.  They helped, but didn't completely get rid of the seizures.  She had about a year and a half - 2 yrs of good life before additional health issues brought her to the end of her life.  My husband still misses her, and this is our first X-mas where he'll go home for the holidays and not enjoy her biting on to his pant leg and dragging her about the room like that.  This will be the first Christmas where she won't climb into our bed and wake me up with face lickings or her tiny Tiny feet stepping on my mouth.  Those animals, and they way they depend on us for care... I tell you.

In brighter news, I might be adopting a dog from my sister and implementing him as a therapy dog here at the centre. 

Oh, yeah - I have a new job at the HIV/AIDS health centre I used to volunteer at, so I already got my Christmas wish.

About the only other thing I want is a pair of these in gold.  Pretty sure I'm gonna be picking them up for myself though - I asked the husband for either these or a new bedside table, and the nightstand sized gift under the tree, along with the new 2009 calendar from my favorite antique shop seem to indicate the latter.  He is terribly at concealing things.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 04:11:20 pm »

What would you like for Christmas?

Me, I just want to feel the sunshine on my face.

May the undying Cthulhu rise from his watery grave, to turn us all into chattel slaves; and mankind will no longer know pleasure and pain as separate and twain. For we shall feel the grip of insanity's strangling claw, before we are all  fed to his cephalopod maw.

Azathoth "bless" us all, everyone. Merry Christmas.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 04:14:05 pm »

About the only other thing I want is a pair of these in gold.  Pretty sure I'm gonna be picking them up for myself though - I asked the husband for either these or a new bedside table, and the nightstand sized gift under the tree, along with the new 2009 calendar from my favorite antique shop seem to indicate the latter.  He is terribly at concealing things.

That reminds me of a Basic Instructions. Although many things do that. http://basicinstructions.net/?p=387

The SO and I are mainly getting money. We're going to NY for a few days next week and seeing a couple shows, so we wanted help paying for that.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 07:03:18 pm »

Rose is boarding at the hospital and we are going away on our Christmas travels, since the doc did not find anything and we could not get an appointment for an MRI right away. It is crummy, but it seemed like the safest option.

I wanted to start looking for an emergency backup pug to adopt but the Technical Staff says we should wait until there is actually an opening for another pug in the household. He is right to suspect that this suggestion was partly a trick to try to have a third pug if Rose's condition turns out to be treatable. I guess it is wicked of me to take advantage of her troubles this way.

Congrats on the new job, Smells! But tell us more about the dog.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 11:15:21 pm »

Quote
I asked the husband for either these or a new bedside table, and the nightstand sized gift under the tree, along with the new 2009 calendar from my favorite antique shop seem to indicate the latter.  He is terribly at concealing things.

But like... in a way where it's adorable?

That is so charming to me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »

This is particularly frustrating because we almost never go anywhere for Christmas. Why couldn't this happen some other year, dammit.

Or not at all, but stuff happens.  I hope you can put it out of your mind enough to enjoy the season and come home to a healthy Rose.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 12:36:36 am »

an emergency backup pug

This concept needed to be highlighted.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »

But like... in a way where it's adorable?

That is so charming to me.

It was ridiculously cute.  Here's how it went down:

I'm wrapping presents, having just carefully concealed the DS games I bought my husband in odd shaped boxes so he wont know what they are.  My husband enters from outside.

Husband: Oh!  You need to.... go somewhere.
SS:  What do you mean?  Where? 
Husband:  Just... not here.  I need to... bring something in.
SS:  (knowingly)  Ohhh.
Husband:  Yeah.
SS: Okay, can I go upstairs?
Husband: Ummm...
SS:  Look, I've still got so many presents to wrap.  And we're delivering most of them tomorrow.  Can't I just look away or close my eyes?  Will this take long?
Husband:  Uh...  No.  I don't know.  No.
SS:  Okay, well, can I just... stand in the bathroom?  Wait - what if I wear this scarf as a blindfold?
Husband:  No.  You might peek.
SS:  I won't peek - you know I like being surprised.
Husband:  Well - here's some treats I bought for Pete and Lucy (our aunt and uncles dog and the husband's parent's dog). Maybe wrap them?
SS:  In the bathroom?  Where in the sink?
Husband:  No... just... just wait in there I guess.  It wont take long.
SS:  Okay.  I'll take the treats, and look at them and think about how I'm going to wrap them while I'm in there then.
Husband:  Okay.

I go in the bathroom, which is a tiny half-bath with a sliding door.  I hear the husband leave the house, and stand around waiting, check out the treats for a while. About 10 minutes pass until I hear him re-enter.  He comes to the bathroom door

Me:  Can I come out?
Husband:  Don't come out - don't come out!
Me:  Okay, I'm not coming out.

Moving around, the sound of him carrying something unwieldy into the basement.  The sound of him moving stuff around in the basement.

Me:  Now can I come out? 
Husband:  (from the basement)  No!  (from the main floor)  Uhhhh.... okay.
Me: (coming out)  Okay.
Husband:  Oh - look what I got us!  (presenting a small magnetic calendar)
Me:  A promotional calendar from my favorite antique shop (placing it on the fridge where the weight of the calendar can not be held up by the magnet attached to it).  A crappy calendar from my favorite antique shop.
Husband:  Yeah.
Me:  So, you make me stay in the bathroom while you hide something, then when I come out, you show me a calender you got at my favorite antique store?
Husband:  Uh... yeah.  I guess... you know what I got you.
Me:  Well.... yeah, but I don't know what it looks like, so that's the exciting part. 

Several hours later, I'm still wrapping presents, having to continually send him into the basement to get boxes for gifts because that's where we store them and my present is apparently sitting in the middle of the basement unwrapped.

Husband:  So... can I wrap it in a garbage bag, or should I use wrapping paper?
Me:  We have lots of wrapping paper - use paper.
Husband:  Why can't I just use a garbage bag?
Me:  So we wont have a big garbage bag in the middle of the living room, under the tree?  Since I already know what it is, why don't you just leave it down there, put a bow on it, and when the time comes, you can carry it upstairs.
Husband:  I'll put stickers on the garbage bag. 
Me:  We don't have any stickers.  You don't have to use a garbage bag.  If you just want to keep it down there and cover it in something, use the chair covers - they're in the basement.
Husband:  Ooooh - you already know what it is!  I guess showing you the calendar was pretty stupid.
Me:  No.  It's okay.  I love that place, and it makes me even more excited to see what it looks like!  (pretending to head for the basement).
Husband:  Hey!
Me:  Hup!  What is it?  I can't... maybe just a peek!
Husband:  No!
Me:  Oh come on, maybe just a little.  (more fake vamping that I'm going to peek, laughter)  Okay - so you've got to wrap it or cover it or something, or you'll ruin the surprise.  Cause I've got laundry to do.
Husband:  Okay.
Me:  Yay!

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 01:02:34 am »

Husband:  I'll put stickers on the garbage bag.

Gold
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 11:51:38 pm »

I love this man.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 02:03:22 am »

I love this man.

He is terribly cute. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 04:43:18 am »

Well, my wish didn't come true. Fuck you Santa! Here's to another year of working as much overtime as possible and hoping a new job lands in my lap (or a big promotion--ha).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Wishes
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:36:17 am »

I totally didn't get hit by any drunk drivers so I'm happy. Actually the roads were much quieter than I expected.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up