Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 59   Go Down

Author Topic: I had a dream....  (Read 132904 times)

0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2010, 01:09:46 am »

 If we are caught the pursuant will harm us horribly, in inspeakable ways I can't fathom.  It's a slow, plodding methodical pursuit on the pursuant's part.  

This is very similar to my recurring bad dreams from younger days.  The trappings are different, but the theme is almost identical.

I was usually chased through bland, institutional and anonymous modern buildings by a machine.  It wasn't even a very imposing looking machine, but I dreaded being caught by it.  I was usually with someone I loved -- normally a family member.  Slow but relentless pursuit.  Waking up just as capture was imminent.

I don't seem to have many lucid dreams anymore.  I don't know why.  Maybe I just don't remember them.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2010, 01:14:44 am »

 For my cohort and I, it's impossible to climb the stairs silently.  In some versions of the dream, the stairs are actually so dilapidated in parts that they fall apart under our weight as we climb, slowing us down all the more

I had this same recurrent nightmare, except that instead of trying to climb the stairs silently, I'm trying to do so quickly, but my feet feel like I'm slogging through wet cement. Also, I'm always alone.

I had this dream on a weekly basis until I was about twelve, when I suddenly realized halfway up the stairs that I was dreaming. I remembered that I always took the door at the end of the hall in previous versions of the dream, so this time I ducked into the door on the right.  I hid under the bed, and the pursuant ran right past me. I never had the dream again.

Spooky.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2010, 01:28:56 am »

It's kind of a relief to know AW and JL have had similar dreams in childhood. 

I've had several recurring dreams over a lifetime, but these were the most vivid for sure.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2010, 01:44:24 am »

My recurring childhood nightmare:  my brother's room would turn into a cave, and a huge, multi-colored fluorescent worm would crawl out of it and wrap around me like a boa constrictor.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 02:23:21 am »

This is very similar to my recurring bad dreams from younger days.  The trappings are different, but the theme is almost identical.

I was usually chased through bland, institutional and anonymous modern buildings by a machine.  It wasn't even a very imposing looking machine, but I dreaded being caught by it.  I was usually with someone I loved -- normally a family member.  Slow but relentless pursuit.  Waking up just as capture was imminent.

I don't seem to have many lucid dreams anymore.  I don't know why.  Maybe I just don't remember them.

Mine was being pursued through a horrifyingly scary haunted house, stumbling into worse and worse terrors, pursued by both a vampire and a wolfman.  I would nearly lose my mind with terror until I would push through a door (pursuers at my heels) and realize it was a...dressing room, light bulb-ringed makeup mirror and all, with the next shift's wolfman putting his makeup on and carefully applying his fake fur.  He would be surprised to see me, note how frightened I was, and lead me by the hand out the side exit door, which led to a McDonald's illuminated by a glorious sunset.  My mom, dad, and sister were there waiting for me, with a cheeseburger.  (???)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 02:58:37 am »

That is oddly heartwarming, Blue.

I also had recurrent nightmares about being smothered/crushed to death in my bed under the slimy belly of a gigantic frog. Specifically, it was a tree frog, and it would use its sucker-toes to get a better grip on the floor and crush me with the weight of its body and the strength of its powerful legs.

To this day, as some of you know, I am terrified of frogs.  Which came first, the nightmares or the frog fear?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 03:19:17 am »

You guys either had much better imaginations than me, or have much better memories.

I only remember a dream where cartoon-looking guys broke in through a window, and a dream where intruders pulled at my toes. I did for years afterwards dislike the idea of having my toes touched, but this is much less inconvenient than a fear of frogs because really, how often does anyone touch someone else's toes?

I believe I also had dreams where the Nazis were chasing me, but I remember that only as a fact, I don't have vivid memories of the dreams themselves.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 03:20:32 am »

I also had recurrent nightmares about being smothered/crushed to death in my bed under the slimy belly of a gigantic frog. Specifically, it was a tree frog, and it would use its sucker-toes to get a better grip on the floor and crush me with the weight of its body and the strength of its powerful legs.

Ooof.  I like frogs, yet that gave me the creeps.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 03:26:04 am »

when i was a kid, this one happened about once a week: i was being chased by some unknown man through some mishmash of my house and webster's, replete with hidden passages. i would jump out the window and instead of my backyard it was an alley in some city. the time i finally hid under my bed, the guy jumped out the window and i never had that dream again.

the similarity is eerie.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 03:29:01 am »

when i was a kid, this one happened about once a week: i was being chased by some unknown man through some mishmash of my house and webster's, replete with hidden passages. i would jump out the window and instead of my backyard it was an alley in some city. the time i finally hid under my bed, the guy jumped out the window and i never had that dream again.

the similarity is eerie.

Is this type of dream an American/Western culture rite of early adolescence?  Or are we an odd subset of society?
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 03:43:37 am »

webster's,


The little kid on the TV show with Alex Karras?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 06:08:28 am »

yes indeed. webster papadapoulous.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2010, 05:00:01 pm »

...and fell in love.

Then I woke up.

sigh
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 06:56:41 pm »

Last night, I prevented a man from destroying the sun with an artificial singularity... and then accidentally set it off myself.

The feeling of the atmosphere sheering off the Earth without the sun to keep us steady and suffocating in darkness, it was kind of horrifying.

Woke up with the intense feeling of how utterly fragile the delicate balance that keeps Earth not-completely-barren is.

Not in, like, a "Captain Planet" way but in a "we're one solar flare away" sorta deal.

Had a hard time falling back asleep.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2010, 11:13:47 pm »

1. my mother saw a poster for the band "Japandroids" and talked about how after college she lived in Japandroids, which is north of LA. "Stupid tourists always thought it had something to do with Japan."
2. i watched someone prepare special nachos, where a tiny chicken was boiled alive in the cheese. the horrible noises the chicken made were part of the enjoyment. as the chicken cooked it like, did this weird thing with its beak and kind of split open/folded up... it was very Achewood. I woke up in a cold sweat.
3. i was cast in a musical at my high school, and I fell off the stage right as they took the cast picture. they refused to take a new one.
4. my girlfriend was buying something really expensive, and would not take my advice about where to buy it, and then got really mad when she got ripped off.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 59   Go Up