Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59   Go Down

Author Topic: I had a dream....  (Read 132779 times)

0 Members and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #840 on: March 17, 2014, 06:49:05 pm »

Because, dates?  Superbowls and years on the MGM logo at the movies?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #841 on: March 17, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »

I don't think of my own birthday in Roman numerals, but not having children, I have no idea how similar it feels to the Super Bowl.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #842 on: March 17, 2014, 07:12:30 pm »

Why Roman numerals?

You know, I've never actually acknowledged the tattoo. He just showed up one day with them on his face, and I thought it best not to say anything, as I was afraid I'd insult him by saying something negative. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #843 on: March 17, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »

One of my friends has a birthday in early February.  He's taken to calling the party "Super Bowl XLVII, Andy XLIII, then Super Bowl XLVIII, Andy XLIV" and so on.  Its a fun intersection of our geek friends who don't normally follow the sport (or any sport), and friends who are football fans with non-geek occupations or avocations.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #844 on: March 18, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »

I was born the day of Super Bowl IV, and as such I have always called the Super Bowl my "alternate birthday." And my running gag is "Today I am XLIV years old."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #845 on: March 18, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »

Super Bowl II (which I don't remember, I was 6) and Superbowl VII (which I do) fell on my birthday, but all of the early games were within a few days of. Sometime later, around XII or XIII or so the playoffs got longer with more teams involved and then they started having a bye week so now the game is almost a month after my birthday.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #846 on: March 18, 2014, 05:11:00 pm »

The Superbowl is the same age as me.  That's right, the big "L" is coming up pretty soon.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #847 on: March 18, 2014, 05:26:56 pm »

Oh no!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #848 on: March 19, 2014, 04:07:03 pm »

As a non-football person, I resent the fact that the super bowl has creeped forward to coincide with my birthday weekend. It totally kills any Saturday-night party plans I could possibly make, because nobody wants to be out late the night before the super bowl. And more than once, I've ended up at super bowl parties I didn't even want to attend, babysitting everyone else's kids because I'm the only one not interested in the game.

Thumbs down to the super bowl.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #849 on: March 19, 2014, 05:41:42 pm »

My prediction is when the Superbowl gets to L they will drop the Roman Numerals and just call it Superbowl 50. JL, if the league gets its way and they go to an 18 game schedule you might get your wish and the game will push even later in the year. Also, it's Unamerican to not love the Superbowl.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #850 on: March 19, 2014, 06:38:12 pm »

because nobody wants to be out late the night before the super bowl.

You should call bullshit on that. The game doesn't start until what, 6 PM? Even if you want to watch the pre-game and/or the Puppy Bowl, there's plenty of time to sleep in Sunday morning before getting Super Bowl Sunday festivities under way.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #851 on: March 19, 2014, 07:20:05 pm »

My prediction is when the Superbowl gets to L they will drop the Roman Numerals and just call it Superbowl 50. JL, if the league gets its way and they go to an 18 game schedule you might get your wish and the game will push even later in the year. Also, it's Unamerican to not love the Superbowl.

We had a "let's play boardgames" party on SB Sunday this year. Two or three people complained the game wasn't on because they somehow missed the point of the party. It was eventually put on with no sound. Yet when the Tivo needed both tuners to record our regular Sunday night shows and the game was switched off nobody noticed for at least 40 minutes.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #852 on: March 19, 2014, 09:05:02 pm »

People planning alternative parties solely to spite the Superbowl is a great testament to it's success.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #853 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »

A Super Bowl played after an 18-game season and extended playoffs would suck, because it would only feature the uninjured bench warmers.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #854 on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:02 am »

People planning alternative parties solely to spite the Superbowl is a great testament to it's success.

It's kind of like being a Satanist.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59   Go Up