Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: quality hmmm  (Read 9523 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 02:06:42 am »

Personally, I'd be quite pleased with EITHER free giraffe OR being taught how to giraffe.

Both sound fun.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 02:14:59 am »

See, I'm not saying "The Message is good because it brings the Bible to stupid people." I just think it is more pleasant to read. I, a person who LOLs at the jokes in The Taming of the Shrew, prefer the USA Today version of the Bible because the increased clarity of the language makes it easier to focus on the concepts.

Heaven knows that stupid people already have too much access to the Bible for anyone's good. I'm talking about atheists, agnostics, and other people who are not invested enough in Christianity as a religion to be able to pay attention to elaborately poetic translations, and just want to know what the damn thing says without referring to a concordance.

Anyway, like it or lump it. I, personally, find it refreshing.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 02:27:54 am »

Hm. I guess that's part of what it comes down to, though.

Because you regard it as a mostly-true set of lessons and instructions for life, you enjoy the idea of having those lessons spoke plainly and in a way that can be acted upon.

Which works well for you.

Because I personally regard it as pleasantly decontextualized mythology with some social engineering and some broadstrokes history of the Middle East mixed in, I enjoy the idea of it all sort of being glossed with the epic feeling of pseudo-antiquity that can only come with archaic and/or eggrandizing phrasing.

Which works well for me.

(Also: I would really love a free giraffe. I would love to ride a giraffe down Ventura Boulevard, the animal eating the fronds of palm trees as she went.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 03:23:10 am »

Most people don't read Shakespeare because it's too much work. Sure, it sounds Important, but if 75% of the population can't follow the storyline, it's not really doing its job.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Shakespeare's works are universally almost universally regarded as masterworks in the telling of a story in a way an audience, not just a reader, could follow. They 'do their job' better than almost any other. It would be unfair of me to accuse the original Crime and Punishment for not doing its job because it was written in Russian and I couldn't follow it. Shakespeare has evolved from populist to elitist because people's tongues have changed, modern adaptations of Shakespeare's works are very popular.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 03:31:44 am »

Shakespeare has evolved from populist to elitist because people's tongues have changed, modern adaptations of Shakespeare's works are very popular.

THIS.

This would be my point, in a nutshell.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 03:34:55 am »

THIS.

This would be my point, in a nutshell.

Ah.

Carry on then
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 03:41:19 am »

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Shakespeare's works are universally almost universally regarded as masterworks in the telling of a story in a way an audience, not just a reader, could follow.

I wonder to what extent a non-English speaker could follow a performance of Shakespeare play?  That is, how much information about the plot can you glean from entirely non-verbal cues?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 03:45:38 am »

Personally, I'd be quite pleased with EITHER free giraffe OR being taught how to giraffe.

I would give this a hundred cans, but it would make Ash whine.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 03:48:08 am »

I wonder to what extent a non-English speaker could follow a performance of Shakespeare play?  That is, how much information about the plot can you glean from entirely non-verbal cues?

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED MATE

French exchange few years back I had a French fellow stay with me. We took him to see Shakespeare. Antony and Cleopatra I think. He couldn't make head nor tail of the words but once I'd explained who the main characters were and what they represented he followed it pretty well, gave me a good summary of the play at the end.

He could have known about it already and just been showing off, though.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 03:50:43 am »

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED MATE

French exchange few years back I had a French fellow stay with me. We took him to see Shakespeare. Antony and Cleopatra I think. He couldn't make head nor tail of the words but once I'd explained who the main characters were and what they represented he followed it pretty well, gave me a good summary of the play at the end.

He could have known about it already and just been showing off, though.

No, I was thinking you could do just that.  Kind of like watching Gilligan's Island on mute.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 03:56:32 am »

Come to think, a mash-up of Gilligan's Island and The Tempest would basically punish.

"Caliban's Island" maybe.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:14 am »

I've no objection to people reading the Bible as fiction. It's certainly better than not reading it at all.

From a belief standpoint it would have been better if I'd never read the bible.  My reading of the bible vanquished any faith I previously had in it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 05:09:32 am »

I wonder to what extent a non-English speaker could follow a performance of Shakespeare play?  That is, how much information about the plot can you glean from entirely non-verbal cues?

I've often had the experience of watching a movie and by the end of the movie still not knowing the names of the characters and moreover not even being able to recognize some of the main characters from one scene to another if there were too many characters who looked alike (e.g. two or more of a similar age, race, and/or hair style.)

It probably didn't help that I grew up in Nigeria for half my childhood, so perhaps my brain calibrated it's self for recognizing Nigerians, then I come to the midwestern U.S. where everyone basically looks like everyone else (white.) 

But the main deal there is probably ADHD.  and/or Asperger Syndrome.

So how well I can follow Shakespeare in any language?  Yeah not real well.  I'm getting better at that sorta stuff lately however.  medication, you know...

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 06:58:20 am »

I have problems with movies like The Dead Poet's Society, where every character is like, white dude with a neat haircut, who wears nice clothes.

Also, shakespeare has never really been my bag.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: quality hmmm
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 08:50:05 am »

I really like Shakespeare but it's mainly because I love the puns. How much of a bad person does that make me?

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up