the smiths the smiths the smiths.
Johnny Marr does a good job of explaining why I love my guitar. He thinks about guitars the way I do... which is weird because he can actually play guitar. "the telecaster doesn't feel like you're holding anything, it's so functional... the jaguar feels like you're holding a machine."
but mostly the part where he says it feels wrong to play blues rock on a jag. i definitely do sometimes, but it is not what it is for.
he talks in this interview I read about how it's too easy to play blues on the guitar... just the way the notes are laid out, it is how your hand wants to move. This is definitely true, for me at least. I really like, though, how the way a guitar works means it's always going to be easier to play certain kinds of things. Some instruments (like the piano) you can basically play any combination of notes you want. I like that on the guitar, it's always going to be GUITAR music, even if you manage to find some awesome chord/tone/whatever no one has come up with. Even if you're sonic youth and you tune your guitars to bizarro tunings, you're always going to be limited by those tunings to certain types of sounds. I don't know why I like that, but I do.