Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381231 times)

0 Members and 64 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #525 on: October 06, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »


"CAPTAIN! The engines! If they end up working, that's totally because I'm so awesome I didn't even have to try! If they don't, I wasn't even trying because you don't get me at all and fuck you that's why! I'll totally aim my escape pod toward my old college roommate's apartment and crash on the couch until my next trust fund check comes through!"

Oh, that was good.  Now can you explain it to us as a Star Wars analogy?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #526 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »

It is more like:

"CAPTAIN! The engines! If they end up working, that's totally because I'm so awesome I didn't even have to try! If they don't, I wasn't even trying because you don't get me at all and fuck you that's why! I'll totally aim my escape pod toward my old college roommate's apartment and crash on the couch until my next trust fund check comes through!"



Also:



AAAAHHHHHH!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #527 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:45 pm »

Jesus, this "I hate artists who act as if they don't give a fuck but will take the credit if it comes out well" objection is broad enough to encompass all of the best rock & roll back to the Stones and Dylan.  Really?  

{Edited to clarify what I think is the objection}
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:34:28 pm by Dangermoose »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #528 on: October 06, 2010, 06:43:16 pm »

The Stones were just dudes who stumbled on a formula that worked and stuck with it.

It was kind of a shame in some ways but it is hardly worth a jug of Haterade.

Dylan, though, yes. Dylan is hella what I am talking about.

The dance of "I want all the advantages of mainstream success but also want to pretend that I am actually still underground" fashion-as-music-as-fashion thing that... has, of course, always existed in popular music but accelerated in the Sixties when pop music started directly appropriating fringe movements instead of white-washing the hell out of a fringe trends and then handing them over to house writers for processing and giving those songs to good clean boys and so on.

The idea of fringe/underground/independent movements not as their own entities, even to the artists within them, but as a minor league system feeding directly to the mainstream and a means-to-an-end platform to launch you up to being a pop star that... again... had existed for a while but finally metastasized (meta-stasized?) with the grunge movement with Cobain as its metaphorical and perhaps literal Jesus.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #529 on: October 06, 2010, 06:47:54 pm »

Shellac. They just sound good. Shellac in particular is fun to say.

amen brudda.

variable-irony-level shielding would  make a good band name.

hell yes.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #530 on: October 06, 2010, 06:53:51 pm »

You see Mike, you should be sending this shit to Pitchfork.  It's totally being wasted on us.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #531 on: October 06, 2010, 07:15:24 pm »

No, no...that's a whole other set of problems you've stepped on, Paul!

Yeah, you're right.  Mark me off 15 yards for taunting.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #532 on: October 06, 2010, 07:27:07 pm »

Have they come up yet with a drug for over-thinking?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #533 on: October 06, 2010, 07:30:13 pm »

Have they come up yet with a drug for over-thinking?

robutussin.

so, i'm listening to Arcade Fire's ready to go right now.
in my head.
because i can't get the fuck*ng thing out.
heard it a couple of times on the radio,
now i'm downloading it.

i want to hate the band, so, we'll so how it goes.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:23 pm »

Wait... I'm ranting against the kind of preciously-meta hipster bullshit that Pitchfork tends to champion.

But I don't know Pitchfork super-well.

Do they use the kind of logic I'm using to eat their own when the artists they champion get a radio hit on their third album and then completely disown them?

Because, then, I agree that my powers could be used for that kind of evil but I'd rather just rip on the damn first album, not pretend that it is great because it is the new thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »

Ya know what, there actually shouldn't be any new music.  Enough is enough, people, get a real job.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:49 pm »

mike i know a nice little shack in the woods that comes with its own typewriter, just let me know when you're ready to write your manifesto and i can hook you up with my realtor buddy
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »

My current situation  is so close to a shack in the woods, man, I have to turn your kindness down.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »


Do they use the kind of logic I'm using to eat their own when the artists they champion get a radio hit on their third album and then completely disown them?

Well sometimes, probably, but more importantly they like long winded circuitous record reviews by reviewers with strong opinions.  You are definitely the man for the job.  They used to have a section where you could audition for employment by reviewing something that they haven't reviewed previously.  It may have been just a ruse to get a lot of classic albums reviewed for free, but it's worth a shot anyway.  I don't see the link to submit reviews on there anymore.  They must have removed it once they became a big deal in the music industry. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2010, 11:20:11 pm »

I predict LFM will hate Pitchfork.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 190   Go Up