Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 379651 times)

0 Members and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2250 on: December 18, 2013, 06:05:50 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2251 on: December 18, 2013, 06:56:52 am »

I liked that black mountain song, but one of my favorite bands (spindrift) opened for them and they were bad enough to lose all hope w me.

I discovered Black Mountain when the opened for the Mountain Goats of all people. I had an opposite reaction. They blew me away. Here's a pic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2252 on: December 18, 2013, 07:34:46 pm »

Specific use music where you just put your fist in the air, your head against the wall and scream is situationally useful for me.

Today: 5FDP - The Way of the Fist.

That has way more melody than that other thing you posted.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2253 on: December 18, 2013, 08:18:10 pm »

I stick with the hipster classics mainly, yer murmers and reckonings, ya know.  Though Monster and Green have some great tracks and New Adventures in Hi Fi is actually fuck*ng classic

R.E.M. is my favorite band ever and I largely agree with this. I would say listen to Fables of the Reconstruction and Life's Rich Pageant, and then depending on which one you like better, either go back in their catalog (for the former) or forward (for the latter).

Stipe's Law says that the overall quality of any given R.E.M. record is indirectly proportional to the comprehensibility of the lyrics.

"Leave" from New Adventures in Hi-Fi--OMG so good a song.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2254 on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:52 am »

I was perusing Pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2013 and came across Parquet Courts, a band I didn't know. They were no. 40. The description sounded interesting so I Googled 'em up. I found this video. My first thought was that Inev. would really like them. Then I thought that Keith might like them as well. Then I realized that I like them too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2255 on: December 19, 2013, 12:33:39 am »

I really like that!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2256 on: December 19, 2013, 12:41:59 am »

wow, I literally just downloaded that album. Like. In the past 10 minutes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2257 on: December 19, 2013, 01:06:11 am »

Still perusing the Pitchfork list I got to 17 and Haim. I used to be more in touch with the music scene I guess, because back in the day I would have t least heard of a band before they got to the playing on SNL level of success. I liked the description, but I'll admit I was also swayed by the 3 good looking sisters playing pop music together aspect. Anyways, I wound up really digging this song they played on Saturday Night Live.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2258 on: December 19, 2013, 02:25:40 am »

I don't know if this belongs here or in the sports thread.

So anyway, Bootsy Collins wrote a Christmas song about Payton Manning.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2259 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:57 am »

that haim chick has INSANE AMOUNTS of bass face
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2260 on: December 19, 2013, 02:48:22 am »

oh my god I can't handle how she sings. ughhhh delete delete delete.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2261 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:29 am »

oh my god I can't handle how she sings. ughhhh delete delete delete.

Well you've got Johnny Marr on your side.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2262 on: December 19, 2013, 03:24:33 am »

figures that the video for that song is them dumping their dorky hipster boyfriends. Now I feel like I fell right into their trap.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2263 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:50 am »

figures that the video for that song is them dumping their dorky hipster boyfriends. Now I feel like I fell right into their trap.

Ha ha...

According to my iTunes playlist I've listened to this Arcade Fire song 38 times, but that doesn't include the 3 times I've played the video today. The singer is super cute.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2264 on: December 19, 2013, 07:51:53 am »

And noisy stuff that I used to hate just seems so damn catchy.

I think I've mentioned this before, and I don't know why this is exactly, but to me Pavement is meh, but I really dig Steven Malkmus solo stuff. He has his own Ice Cream flavor now, by the way.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 190   Go Up