isn't LGBTQwhatver just lumping way too many things in together? I think the department at WashU was called "Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies." Although I have a lot of thoughts about ghettoizing those studies into their own department. Why should the Women's History prof be in Women's Studies, instead of History? It's kind of like how my school had an American Culture Studies department. All of the classes could/should have been listed under other departments, and I don't understand why they needed their own department for one thing. It seems bizarre to separate disciplines by Topic rather than Technique. I get why a Women's Studies department might have been needed historically, but why is it needed now?
This. I went to a women's college. We did not have a "Women's Studies" department or anything like it. When asked once why we offered African-American History but not Women's History, the History department head replied, "At [College], all history is Women's history. And it was true -- they just integrated it into the rest of the curriculum.
I use Black instead of African-American unless I'm in a very formal situation, like writing a term paper. That is how almost every Black person I have ever met has referred to their race, so that's what I use. Besides which, African-American is not necessarily correct. My sister-in-law is a Black American, but her heritage is mainly Jamaican.
My kids describe people in terms of straight-up skin color. Chaos Girl was talking about her school friends and told me that one particular boy is "brown." Which is fine with me. The longer they can go without realizing that the rest of the world likes to categorize people by race and ethnicity, the better.
On a related note, my son has a distinct preference for brown women. It started when he got completely googly-eyed for
Denyce Graves when she appeared on Sesame Street. Ever since then, busty Black women send him into a swoon. Looking forward to those sweet little biracial grandbabies, we are.