Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282823 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1050 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:15 am »

I saw this at the Space Center.


fixed tags - choop

i am a peasant, but i have full use of limbs.  1 out of 3 aint bad for the government.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1051 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:29 pm »

Sorry guys, you just got owned by a sixteen year old who understands how the real world works.

Pass this tiny can of Dr. Pepper on to her for me, wouldja?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1052 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »

Also the obligatory "I'm moving away, I hate NC now, gonna move to a state that respects all couples etc"


Good luck finding one of those - NC was only the 31st state to do this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:37 pm »

That number surprised the guy who probably shouldn't have been surprised by it considering that even his state of fruits and nuts passed a Prop 8 thing with a little help from the Mormons.

Y'know how the slavery issue is now set in the history books as a historical wrong for which a correction was inevitable? I am convinced that in the future the same take will apply to the issues currently surrounding the differently gender-ed.

Agree.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1054 on: May 09, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »

I am seeing almost as much hate against North Carolina now as I was against right-wingers before the election. It's pretty bad on my Facebook feed right now. But I have to say, I am pretty ashamed of my adopted state right now. I honestly believed we were going to win this one -- everybody I know under the age of 40 opposed the amendment, and voter turnout among young people was overwhelming in my county.

If you look at the county-by-county breakdown, the only counties that went majority-against were the ones that are home to a major university: UNC-CH, Duke, NC State, UNC-Wilmington, Appalachian State, and UNC-Ashville, plus the city of Charlotte. Everywhere else, ignorance prevailed.

I got physically ill last night when I saw the results. Literally sick to my stomach. I still cannot believe it passed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1055 on: May 09, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »

I still wonder Who the hell are these people?  There's so much activity in my FB griping about this amendment. I have seen ONE person speaking in favor of it, a high school classmate who is now a minister in Tennessee saying "Good for you , NC!" And he doesn't have a whole lot of company in his comment thread.

So I realize I sound like Pauline Kael saying "Nobody I know voted for Nixon." These folks are out there, somewhere, and apparently there's a lot of them, but I'll be damned if I have any meaningful contact with them. It's mind-boggling.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1056 on: May 09, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »

My mom would have voted for the amendment, if she'd bothered to vote at all. We had a mild argument about it last week after she saw something anti-amendment in my FB feed.

Which is what prompted me to actually go in and make those FB lists that I've been putting off for three years or so. Because I'm tired of not being able to share anything political on Facebook because the vast majority of my family is ultra-conservative.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1057 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »

Yup. I have a big list called "work".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1058 on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:10 pm »

Obama says fuck it, same-sex marriage should be legal. Not sure why he waited a while after Biden said he was cool with it, but better late etc. That oughta fire up the Fox News crowd nicely.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1059 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:44 pm »

Oh shit yeah.  Now we just got to legalize.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1060 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:07 pm »

Don't President's just hang on to the President title (by which I mean, you don't use "former")? I can never remember that shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1062 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:03 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1063 on: May 09, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »

The officially proper way to address the U.S. President is "Mr." (Or Mrs., should that blessed day ever arrive.) To call one "President X--" is actually incorrect, but it became necessary at times when there were multiple people with the same last name in federal government (Adams, Kennedy) and so some journalists still use it and/or switch between forms of address to introduce variety.

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about it. "Mr." is perfectly respectful in this context.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1064 on: May 09, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »

That's how you think of it, but the style guide the journalist is following might be stricter. For instance, s/he may have been instructed to use "the President" or "Mr. Obama," but never "President Obama."

IDK, you read the whole article, so you can decide which it is, but the writer of the article may not have had much leeway, or the editor might have changed a few words here and there without the author's knowledge on input. That kind of thing does happen. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it, is what I'm saying.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 143   Go Up