Yup. Cupcake tattoos.
I guess what bothers me the most is that I am totally aware that my food preferences are illogical. Food is not a logical thing, and I do not pretend to have some overarching food ideology. There are plenty of foods that I like that are greasy and low-brow and I don't care.
But La Vallesana is a great restaurant, and I eat there at least once a week. If that food is not "authentic" then maybe Mexican food is bad, and they are saving me from how bad it is. If anything I think their quality may have declined a tiny bit recently, or maybe it is just that their prices have doubled since i started eating there a few years ago. But, you know, doubled to a normal price for food in a restaurant building that they just completed, instead of being a paper plate with tacos on it served out a literal shack with some picnic tables around it.
Also, note the tension between being mad that all the St Louis breakfast food is low-brow, and only liking Mexican places with giraffebowl-sized margaritas and food doused in grease.