OK, if you'd encountered a true Wild Wasteland setup, you'd know. The Lone Wanderer is regular. Remember where he was, you might need him later.
Took out the khans, eh? I considered siding with them, or at least trying not to make them mad, until I found out they're slavers. I haven't taken them out at their HQ yet like I did at Paradise Falls, but I'm waiting to pick up a particular companion for that.
The poison bugs are awful. It's the only addition to combat I don't like, mainly because no matter how much antivenom I give my companions, they will not freakin' use it. I kept losing one particular companion to wandering radscorpions because she'd tear off in a random direction and I wouldn't even realize we were in combat until the thing was dead and she'd been stung. And don't try to use a stimpack on someone who's got venom in his bloodstream -- it'll kill them instantly. (Makes sense if you think about it.)
What level are you? A word of advice about the wandering monsters: if you see a group of cazadores, RUN. Those things are BITCHES. They're venomous, they're fast, and they FLY. If you have to fight them, shoot out their wings first. They're relatively easy to hit, and they slow the fuckers WAY down. That'll give you a fighting chance as long as there aren't too many of them.