Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugga Ugga Meat (Paleo diet)  (Read 5024 times)

Choop

• Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Ugga Ugga Meat (Paleo diet)
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:44:37 pm »

did paleolithic man have precision cutlery and nonstick pans, this diet makes no sense
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:32:34 pm by jay-ell »
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 447
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:51 pm »

It goes with Cross-Fit, to me. Yes, back in the day our ancestors used to devour sides of mammoth and run through the jungle for 14 hours a day. They also died before they were 30 (and none of them looked like Daryl Hannah, I'll bet).
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:27 pm »

Yeah, my reaction to Paleo dieting is this: Do you know why, after generations of eating only meat and plants, we as a species decided it was worth the trouble to settle down and raise wheat and rice and drink the milk of cows instead of just killing them for their beef? Because that shit is awesome. As soon as we evolved to the point where we could make pasta happen, we were on top of that action.

You thaw out a caveman and give him the choice between a handful of grass and berries (which is what he probably mostly ate because meat was very hard to get) and a big steaming bowl of macaroni and cheese (the most energy-dense, protein-rich poverty food in the history of the world) and I guarantee, once he decides the pasta isn't going to kill him, he will gruffle that shit. We're hard-wired for it, so if you wanna go "natural," follow your cravings and only eat when you're hungry. That's *way* healthier than eliminating entire food groups, for sure.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »

I think so. Agriculture is not without its drawbacks, but grains aren't one of them.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:55:32 am »

I lived with a cross fit trainer who was all about the paleo diet. I couldn't quite endorse the philosophy of it, but dinner consisted of throwing a piece of meat on the grill for a couple minutes and grazing on salads and berries. Going for an evening jog was a lot easier with leaves in my belly as opposed to pasta or some microwave concoction.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 05:00:22 am »

America's fatness has a lot more to do with the amount of time we spend sitting on our asses (driving, working, and watching TV) than it does with the particular balance of macronutrients we choose in our diets.
Paleo has two major drawbacks in my opinion: no beer, and it fails to take advantage of the human superpower mutation that evolved during the neolithic - lactase persistence.
In terms of macro economics, you can't feed the world with a paleo diet anyway.  It is possible for rich pukes like us, but most people can't afford to get their calories from meat, nuts, and olive oil.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:34:48 pm »

In terms of macro economics, you can't feed the world with a paleo diet anyway.  It is possible for rich pukes like us, but most people can't afford to get their calories from meat, nuts, and olive oil.

In my experience, many of the folks who are likely to indulge in a paleo diet are short-sighted enough to think it doesn't matter if the people who can't afford paleo all starve to death.

Choop

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:30:25 pm »

...which makes it pretty authentically paleolithic
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

• VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »

...which makes it pretty authentically paleolithic

+1
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 480
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 03:55:30 pm »

wait, guys, for real: are paleo diet people advocating that everyone should eat this way, or are they just doing it to gain muscle/lose weight?
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

• VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 05:18:02 pm »

wait, guys, for real: are paleo diet people advocating that everyone should eat this way, or are they just doing it to gain muscle/lose weight?
No - many of them just act as though its because people are stupid, lazy and undisciplined that they don't eat Paleo.  See, if everyone ate that way, there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic and the health care debate would be moot because no one would get the "diseases of affluence" (heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, stroke).
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »

Most guys on Paleo are in it to eat what they believe humans were meant to eat as opposed to the over processed science experiments that modern people stuff in their faces. I haven't heard any get all preachy and judgmental in the way that some vegans or vegetarians can be.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Victoria Waterfield

• Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 333
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:56 pm »

Most guys on Paleo are in it to eat what they believe humans were meant to eat as opposed to the over processed science experiments that modern people stuff in their faces. I haven't heard any get all preachy and judgmental in the way that some vegans or vegetarians can be.

However, unless they're also getting the diseases humans were meant to get as opposed to the over processed science experiments that modern people inject as vaccines, I will feel free to question their commitment to the concept.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 636
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »

Also weren't we meant to die at like 30? You know nature is really not all it's cracked up to be.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

i'd try the paleo diet but you'd have to kill me to take away my flamin' hot chee-tohs
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up