Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no you dint!  (Read 240180 times)

0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2013, 01:40:35 pm »

Apparently I fucked up a groin joint by biking too much, too hard. Not cool.

Also the 18-year old girl I fell in love last year is really not doing well: deep in a mental haze of confusion and lethargy because of too many prescription psych-meds, sleeping for days on end, getting fatter and fatter due to piss-poor eating habits and zero exercise, with no interests in life except for the most retarded otaku niche subcultures, no work prospects and no motivation (I have stayed the fuck away, and know this only by relayed information). Good job, parents!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:43:37 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2013, 02:48:41 pm »

otaku

That rings a bell. Where do I know that from? I'll get back to you.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »

That rings a bell. Where do I know that from? I'll get back to you.

You mean like the hikikomori plague? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori

EDIT: I don't mean to say that liking otaku stuff is the bane of youth or anything (I like some manga and anime just fine), but her whole situation is pretty much messed up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:56:48 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

having people over for a home-game version of churrascuria. two chickens, spatchcocked and each with a different rub, including the coffee one i invented last weekend; bacon-latticed london broil; garlic and rosemary pork loin; three sausages (andouille, boudain, kielbasa). just going to cook them all up and slice them all and pass that shit around the table 'til it's gone. also there's salad but who gives a shit, and coconut macaroons for dessert.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2013, 03:03:28 am »

Had so much fun teaching little kids (and some older ones) how to pass, catch, and scoop with lacrosse sticks that I completely forgot to put sunscreen on my face.  Ouch.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:52 am »

Weird: today is the birthday of 2 different ladies I have had insane, futile crushes on, and also the lady I went on a nice date with last week. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2013, 07:09:54 am »

third time's the charm maybe? that's a theory that hasn't been tested enough i bet

the dinner party went well and we had a lot of fun. there is so much meat left over. i carved half of everything but sausage, and everything i carved got eaten. (i carved all the sausage.)

by the by, it's like november here. rainy and mid-sixties. i got rained on lighting my grill today. it's raining again right now. the fuck is up with this weather? THANKS AL GORE
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2013, 07:22:27 am »

One day I will have a crush on someone who isn't flakey.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »

It rained in Denver for, IDK, like 15 days in a row?  I exaggerate a lot...but seriously at least 12?  And didn't really get too much above 80 ever.  I tried to look it up a few days ago because I've never really experienced something like this, but DIA is a loooong way from where I live, so it said no rain, but yeah, we got rain.  The last two days have been sunny and closer to 90.  It's been a nice break.

Oh also, in Denver it is just so sunny then a thunderstorm then sunny again, so it isn't too bad.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2013, 05:50:03 pm »

Now her father told me her face lit up with pride and pleasure in a way he'd never seen as he handed her the book with her first translation credits (a gig that I got for her a few months ago; I also got the copy of the book for him to give to her), first time ever she sees her name on something. Life's so fuck*ng funny.

(I'm sorry to bother you with this ridiculous shit, touamb, I have nowhere else to whine, please don't shun a dumb dude).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »

Now her father told me her face lit up with pride and pleasure in a way he'd never seen as he handed her the book with her first translation credits (a gig that I got for her a few months ago; I also got the copy of the book for him to give to her), first time ever she sees her name on something. Life's so fuck*ng funny.

(I'm sorry to bother you with this ridiculous shit, touamb, I have nowhere else to whine, please don't shun a dumb dude).


No need to apologize.  That's what we're here for.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:28 pm »

deja, I think it is way outta line for you to post on here about having crushes on girls. That's my job.

So it seems they sold me a bike with a really weird shifting mechanism. I think someone is about to learn a lot about bicycle shifting mechanisms.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »

deja, I think it is way outta line for you to post on here about having crushes on girls. That's my job.

So it seems they sold me a bike with a really weird shifting mechanism. I think someone is about to learn a lot about bicycle shifting mechanisms.

Inev is at that special time in a young man's life when he learns a lot about bicycle shifting mechanisms.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »

This shit is MYSTERIOUS.

So basically, older bikes have "fricton shifters." The lever moves seamlessly, tightening the cable and moving the derailer across the gears. Tighten it, and the cable pulls the derailer towards the bike, moving the chain onto another gear. Pretty simple. Lately I've had issues, and a weird thing started happening with my lever. Now instead of moving seamlessly, it "clicked" between positions. Except it isn't actually moving cleanly between gears, it is putting my chain awkwardly in the middle.
I looked it up, and apparently I have a shifter that is an intermediate step between old-fashioned shifters and the modern ones that have little numbers and stuff. So I spent a while poking around looking at schematics, trying to figure out how to set this thing up. There is a little red arrow on the side that seems to indicate that SOMETHING can rotate to set it up properly-- there is a corresponding arrow on another part that says "SET" and another that says "FRICTION" and "SIS." I couldn't figure out how to move any part of it, and couldn't figure out what model I have.
So I finally just tried adjusting the derailer (the little mechanism that moves the chain around). I tightened a screw (the high-limit screw on the derailer, for you guys following along at home), and now everything works, and my shifters don't "click" anymore. So the problem is solved, but the ways of the bike are still a mystery to me. There is definitely still a weird clicking sound coming from the lever intermittently, but I don't really know how to address that.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:09:20 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 94   Go Up