Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no you dint!  (Read 239952 times)

0 Members and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2013, 05:38:18 pm »

The fact that you have avoided making an amazon purchase until now is shocking.

the amazon shipping to australia is often exorbitant as fuck.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #376 on: October 13, 2013, 07:31:40 pm »

Hobot just posted an internet picture of her food (...) at a local breakfast place at the same time as my new bike friends posted pictures of themselves outside the same place. This city is so small.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #377 on: October 13, 2013, 07:58:26 pm »

No no, Paul, this is a time-travel short story I wrote a few years back that an editor friend liked, helped me expand it to a novella and then she licensed it off me to publish to Kindle.

I plan to use the Nanowrimo writing group I joined to try to write as much of the first draft of "Frank Yetty and The Thirty Mile Zone" or "Hollywood Sasquatch" next month.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2013, 07:59:33 pm »

THANK YOU SO MUCH DOC!

(With your purchase, a free tiny can of Dr. Pepper. Special TOUAMB bonus! hahaha)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #379 on: October 13, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »

LFM I had to Google to find out what a Nanaimo Bar is. Education.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #380 on: October 13, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »

Dang, I have a Nook.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #381 on: October 13, 2013, 09:38:07 pm »

There isn't a Kindle app for Nook? I'm pretty sure you can read it in browser from the Kindle cloud...

But admittedly, I am not so up on the tech side of this. I just sent my editor the manuscript as a  .doc file and she did the magic.

Yeah, wombles, I had eschewed the idea of joining a Nanowrimo group for years because it feels a little cheesy but I really want something to kick my ass to write something longform again.

Also, it seems to be a great way to meet nerdy women!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:02 am »

I'll look for a solution. If anyone has any suggestions...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #383 on: October 14, 2013, 01:26:04 am »

You can get a free Kindle app for your computer or phone and read it on that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2013, 01:37:24 am »

LFM, not Nanowrimo, Nanaimo. So much more important! You have to get up pretty early in the morning to write about a baked good that I haven't heard of.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #385 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:22 am »

from the wiki,
Quote
In 2009, Dirt Candy, a New York City restaurant owned and operated by Chef Amanda Cohen, put a version of Nanaimo bars on the menu, inspiring several Canadians to protest that their unique dessert was being Americanized.

people are so fuck*ng stupid. jesus christ.
there are actual problems in the world (global warming, famine, whatever)
there are personal problems (boo hoo this lady at work was mean to me, oh no I put salt instead of sugar in my nanaimo bars)
and then there is a baked good concept being copied. if you can get it together to care about this problem, I have to assume you are an insane person.

If the baked good concept being imitated made your family go out of business, or you could never eat the baked good concept again because the concept was somehow stolen out of your brain, sure. That would suck. Maybe the price of melted chocolate went through the roof and you could never eat nanaimo bars again. Man, that would suck on a personal level.

If it was some kind of intense cultural thing where maybe your oppressed people had made these chocolate cookie bars for generations and now some american was getting rich off it while you got diddly, sure, that would suck. That would be an injustice.

But "my town has these bars they make, out of pretty standard european dessert ingredients, and some other different people not far away are making the same kind of bar"... get out of town.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #386 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:45 am »

Because I am the guy I am, I am just now realizing that I will only have one chance to take the GREs. Chile is looming large in my future.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #387 on: October 14, 2013, 06:02:54 am »

Fixed gear bikes sound like a symptom of madness. Unless you are doing those races in which they are used, it sounds like the same as putting racing slicks on your Honda Civic.
When I was a kid in middle school, there were 3 options for bike gearing: a single speed wi a pedal coaster brake, a 10 speed, and a 3 speed that pretty much came as a default with a sprung wide-bottom seat and a wicker basket between the handlebars.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2013, 11:29:06 am »

Yeah, I haven't actually looked for a while but back when I cared Amazon was 'spensive as hell and bookdepository.co.uk had free shipping so there was never much argument there.

And yeah Paul I just dropped the coin to read it on my PC. I assume I could read it on my phone if I want?

Chile is looming large in my future.
Failure is sometimes an excellent option, but try to kick that GRE thing's ass first.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2013, 07:55:43 pm »

Because I am the guy I am, I am just now realizing that I will only have one chance to take the GREs. Chile is looming large in my future.
The GREs are no big deal. It is all stuff you already know. You just need to refresh. That said: GO TO CHILE! You've got the opportunity and you will never look back and say "Damn wish I never went to Chile to visit my family and ditch my grocery job"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 94   Go Up