Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no you dint!  (Read 239467 times)

0 Members and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #405 on: October 17, 2013, 01:28:34 pm »

Congrats, Inev! I knew you were a smarty #####.

(We are perfect-verbal-score buddies.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #406 on: October 17, 2013, 01:47:41 pm »

i had a perfect score in the english section of the ACT. does that count?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #407 on: October 17, 2013, 03:52:16 pm »

No logic.

I also got a perfect score on the National Latin Exam in high school. They came and gave me a plaque. Awesome. What a cool high schooler I was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »

Had an interesting time at an open mic last night. We've been looking for different places to play, so we went to this sports bar/restaurant that does a thing on Wednesdays. When we got there, there were four high school lookin' girls singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" with a piano accompaniment. Some other kids and what looked like parents in the audience. We found this a tad unusual, and debated whether we should stick around.

But the guy who was running the show walked by us, and I asked "Is your crowd always this young?" Turns out he was from the "School of Rock" in the same shopping center, the high school girls were from another such program and just wanted a place to perform, so he'd invited them to their open mic for grins. No, the crowd was not normally that young, and a lot of the regulars were fellow music teachers. And of course when he found out we played, he was all "Awesome! You should play tonight!"

So we hung around, listened to some of the regulars after the high school girls left, did three songs, and it was generally pretty cool. One of the high school girls sang Bon Iver's "Skinny Love" which is an interesting (and good) selection.

Our experience has been that open mics are either really well, established and so packed that if you don't get there early you're playing after midnight, OR have just a few people showing up, so when they get fresh blood they're real excited and want you to come back every week.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2013, 07:05:28 pm »

I am terrified of open microphone nights.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »

As performer or audience?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:25 pm »

I am terrified of open microphone nights.

Most of the time, people are really supportive of each other. There don't tend to be a lot of flat-out spectators, the people there are all there to perform, so everyone claps politely as a bare minimum.

As a spectator, yeah, it can be frightening. Usually you get the gamut from "Dang, that's actually really good" to "Well, it was brave of him to want to get up there, I guess."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #412 on: October 17, 2013, 07:56:56 pm »

As performer or audience?

Yes.

Most of the time, people are really supportive of each other. There don't tend to be a lot of flat-out spectators, the people there are all there to perform, so everyone claps politely as a bare minimum.

As a spectator, yeah, it can be frightening. Usually you get the gamut from "Dang, that's actually really good" to "Well, it was brave of him to want to get up there, I guess."

Polite clapping makes it even scarier. I'd rather enjoy total silence than that condescending clap without any cheering that only serves to mark the end of my soul exposure. At least silence would break from the norm, show that they were confused or horrified, unable to tell if I was finished or even hopeful that I wasn't. I don't need the discount claque, I need feedback, and at an open mic I'm sure to not get it unless I am exceptional. Terrifying.

In that respect I feel like I am on the spot the whole time, expected to perform even as an audience member, and if I act the way I want my audience to act, I am sure to offend, but maybe I'll get the response I want. If I act the way I think they want me to act, I'll only get that same lie I've given them, whether I deserve it or not. It's like spending a whole night making small talk with my parents' friends.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #413 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »

Sweet. I got a perfect score on the logic section (do they still have that? This was like 1993). Let's find someone with a perfect math score and we can form The Ultimate Grad Student.

I had a perfect score in logic and math and a 790 in verbal.  To this I owe my lavish lifestyle.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #414 on: October 17, 2013, 08:26:36 pm »

I have no recollection of any of my test scores. Maybe it's time for you guys to move on?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #415 on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »

sounds like somebody didn't get a perfect score on any section
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #416 on: October 17, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »

Open mic nights are... the best thing.

Embrace shamelessness!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #417 on: October 17, 2013, 10:32:22 pm »

Open mic nights are... the best thing.

Embrace shamelessness!

I've done open mic. If you can embrace your shamelessness and tell a crowd your jokes for about 5 minutes, you're in. It's a great way to score free drinks without being a woman.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #418 on: October 18, 2013, 07:11:16 am »

There is no good way to communicate "I'm sorry that you are upset that I made fun of you... what you were saying was so incredibly stupid that I thought you were joking."

I tried, though. Really, you can't call more than one everyday thing "fascist" in a conversation without seeming like you're kidding, right?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no you dint!
« Reply #419 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:17 am »

There is no good way to communicate "I'm sorry that you are upset that I made fun of you... what you were saying was so incredibly stupid that I thought you were joking."

Truly there is not.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 94   Go Up