yeah, definitely, this was a test run. Next time I will make TONS. Also, the way it told me to roll out/cut the dough (make balls the size of your fist, flatten them, cut into quarters with a pizza cutter) was a ton easier than the way my grandma does it. Sorry grandma. She makes a big flat sheet of dough and cuts it into circles, then recombines the scraps and flattens it out and cuts again, over and over. WHYYYY. Now that I know that rolling out the dough only takes a few minutes I am much more likely to do it again, it made a lot less mess and hassle than the other way.
The amateur anthropologist in me LOVED two details of my grandma teaching me to make her version. First, she said they taste a lot better in America because butternut squash is way better than zapallo (?) squash. Second, right when I was thinking "goddamn this method of forming the dough is frustrating" she said she feels guilty/inauthentic about doing it this way, because her mom formed each one perfectly by hand.
The real thing is that I need to conquer my fear of 400 degree oil.
I am trying to overcome my tendency to want to buy tools whenever I encounter an extremely mild inconvenience. "oh, if I'm going to make sopaipillas again, I should get a fryer thermometer and a heavier bottomed pot." It is tempting to want to have the exact perfect thing for the job, instead of making do. It's always easier to look up fancy bike tools on the internet than just go out and ride my bike. This is a thing I am working on but it is a pretty basic worrying/lazy thing. What if my thermometer explodes? What if my spatula's handle melts like it did that one time? What if that squeak my bike makes means the gears are about to explode?
Do you guys have cast-iron cookware (skillet, dutch oven)? Is it a good investment?