In a little bit I am going to do a few play-throughs of my song with my roommate, and this saturday we are performing it in front of a bunch of friends. My other roommate coordinated this big thing-- like 40 people are going to come and play songs in our basement. We're just going to leave the guitar/bass/drums/guitar/keyboard set up in one corner and people are taking turns playing songs. This is the first song I have ever written, the first time I am playing music in front of people. Just the thought of playing the song and SINGING for my roommate is making me nervous, much less playing in front of a bunch of friends. But I believe it will be great or at least fun. The whole idea is to stimulate our friends to go out on a limb and perform in a safe space.
The melody came out fully formed in the shower, which means at the end someone will point out it is a ripped-off Beatles song or something.
I am trying to remind myself that if I saw a guy playing surf guitar and singing, there is a 90% chance I would think the guy was cool/brave/whatever, and also I would think "damn, I could do that! why don't I do that!"
I tried to toe the line. I don't want it to be too heart-on-the-sleeve, but I also don't want it to just be a big joke. So it's a simple little Motown-y riff with transparent early-adulthood symbolism.
(They can keep Waikiki-i-i/
I prefer the Missouri-i-i/
Waves may be bigger out there/
I'd rather surf the Des Peres)
someone will inevitably film it on their phone, so maybe I'll have a humiliating youtube link for you guys.